2019/20 - Other Games

Batman

I actually started to quite like Utd these days and respect the loyalty to Ole from their fans. Obviously his past is major factor but weirdly pleased for him when they win.

Sure he won’t last though but it’s nice to see the old school attitude of bit of patience.

The inconsistencies with VAR are the most annoying but at the end of the day VAR on many instances - Maguire/Son/Bertrand sending offs are just the opinion of the ref watching the footage so it’s going to be inconsistent as they apply the law the way they see it. I don’t see that kind of VAR situation changing. Those are the type of things where the on field ref should be told to go and look at the monitor.

It’s the offside one needs tinkering with and by all accounts they are looking into that.

The inconsistencies with VAR are the most annoying but at the end of the day VAR on many instances - Maguire/Son/Bertrand sending offs are just the opinion of the ref watching the footage so it’s going to be inconsistent as they apply the law the way they see it. I don’t see that kind of VAR situation changing. Those are the type of things where the on field ref should be told to go and look at the monitor.

It’s the offside one needs tinkering with and by all accounts they are looking into that.

There's no point to VAR if they aren't able to address inconsistencies.

Just get rid of it till unless we get to the point where AI can implement something that is actually consistent in decision making across a season.

VAR, which is essentially just a video replay, is the issue.

The issue is with the incompetency of the officials watching the videos.

Simple solution, make the on field official review on a monitor. He won’t get it right every time but he will at least be held accountable.

As for the offside, like goal line technology, it’s working to the letter of the law. It’s the law that needs changing, not technology.

VAR, which is essentially just a video replay, is the issue.

The issue is with the incompetency of the officials watching the videos.

Simple solution, make the on field official review on a monitor. He won’t get it right every time but he will at least be held accountable.

As for the offside, like goal line technology, it’s working to the letter of the law. It’s the law that needs changing, not technology.

I've said for ages, Refs should be made to come out and explain, when a decision is a game changer, as in the 'non' penalty on Saturday.

The goal line technology has an inbuilt margin of error. I believe the offside technology has too (much bigger), but our league - in its infinite wisdom - has chosen to disregard such things as grey areas and accept as empirical fact that a freeze frame indicating someone is offside by 1cm is beyond reproach.

IFAB have already given guidance that the VAR technology is NOT to be treated the same as goal line tech as it doesn't have the same consistent level of accuracy, therefore "clear and obvious" mistakes - not a marginal line call forensically pored over for five minutes with rulers and protractors - are the only decisions that should be overturned.

So I'd argue it's not the law that's at fault. It's our referees ignoring the guidance from the law-makers and misusing a technology whose limitations they either don't understand or are too incompetent to consider.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The goal line technology has an inbuilt margin of error. I believe the offside technology has too (much bigger), but our league - in its infinite wisdom - has chosen to disregard such things as grey areas and accept as empirical fact that a freeze frame indicating someone is offside by 1cm is beyond reproach.

IFAB have already given guidance that the VAR technology is NOT to be treated the same as goal line tech as it doesn't have the same consistent level of accuracy, therefore "clear and obvious" mistakes - not a marginal line call forensically pored over for five minutes with rulers and protractors - are the only decisions that should be overturned.

So I'd argue it's not the law that's at fault. It's our referees ignoring the guidance from the law-makers and misusing a technology whose limitations they either don't understand or are too incompetent to consider.

Regardless of that, you have to ask if a big toe or shoulder offers an advantage to the attacker.

You have to draw the line somewhere I suppose and before VaR the rule was fine as the answer was ‘it was tight’, with such scrutiny over every goal, I think they need to look at the rule. However Of course you will still get marginal decisions regardless of the rule...

I’ll be honest, I don’t know the answer.

What perplexes me is that, in the past, a ref could make a mistake (albeit possibly biased) in a fraction of a second.

Now there is not the same excuse fir the VAR ref. They have time to consider and examine, yet it seems to me that we are still seeing very dubious VAR decisions. Why?

First problem is the "clear and obvious". It seems far too easy for the VAR ref to take a subjective view on this. Some VAR refs seem very reluctant to overrule. Others are only too keen to make their influence felt. Is this an issue of seniority or pecking order between ref and VAR ref? There have certainly been instances of VAR refs giving unlikely red cards and penalties and also not overruling when there seemed to be a clear error.

Secondly, there is little or no dialogue between ref and VAR ref. Rugby works well because the on-field ref asks clear questions, can see the replays himself and there is a joint decision with clarity.

VAR should be improving things. It's the way it's being implemented that's wrong.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Best summed up by Shane Long being deemed as offside before being fouled for the penalty that was over turned at Leicester. the point at where the VAR ref had decided that Long was offside using his onscreen lines etc, every man and his dog could see that the ball is blurred and in a lozenge shape meaning the ball was already well on its way to Long at the moment taken for the decision.

With Mike Riley at the top of PGMOL (?) you are going to get bloody minded stubbornness until the cows come home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51547261 Son breaks him arm - while diving no doubt

Breaks your heart...................Isn't Schadenfreude a terrible thing. :D

That puts Spurs right up the pictures - Moura is hit and miss and Dele doesn't seem to be able to hit a Cows backside with a Banjo and could also be in Hot Water following his Coronovirus tweet that would leave them even more short handed up front if the FA decide to act as they have in other cases.

Best summed up by Shane Long being deemed as offside before being fouled for the penalty that was over turned at Leicester. the point at where the VAR ref had decided that Long was offside using his onscreen lines etc, every man and his dog could see that the ball is blurred and in a lozenge shape meaning the ball was already well on its way to Long at the moment taken for the decision.

With Mike Riley at the top of PGMOL (?) you are going to get bloody minded stubbornness until the cows come home.

This is something I've noticed. They often make millimetre decisions on offside, having very inaccurately chosen the moment the ball was played.

The disallowed Wolves goal v Leicester was another example.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

God that twt McManaman & the half wit sat beside him are winding me up. Keep going on about the linesman putting his flag up “late”. Don’t they understand that they’re told to. In Europe they’ve been told to only flag once the goal scoring opportunity has gone in case the guy was actually onside. I’d ****ing love it if Salah went through alone, Lino flags early & ref stops game, only for reply to show him onside...please, let it happen...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All set up for one of those 'glorious European nights at Anfield', where Athleti take the lead and Liverpool need three goals to go through. It's all looking hopeless with 5 minutes to go, when they make it 2-2 on aggregate then pull off a sensational winner in the last minute of injury time.

All set up for one of those 'glorious European nights at Anfield', where Athleti take the lead and Liverpool need three goals to go through. It's all looking hopeless with 5 minutes to go, when they make it 2-2 on aggregate then pull off a sensational winner in the last minute of injury time.

Ugh, and that shouty commentator yelling “HEN-DER-SONNNN!” every time he shoots.

Shareholders of Kleenex will be watching the game from behind the sofa, knowing that if the "Club Football Champions of the World" falter and fail to get any further in the CL, the share price will dip due to reduced sales to the sporting media, knocking £000's off their investment.

I think now is the time to invest in buckets, as just about every supporter of every other team in the land is going to need one to cope with the nauseating media outpouring that will go on for months (even years) when they finally end 30 years without a League Championship.

Shareholders of Kleenex will be watching the game from behind the sofa, knowing that if the "Club Football Champions of the World" falter and fail to get any further in the CL, the share price will dip due to reduced sales to the sporting media, knocking £000's off their investment.

I think now is the time to invest in buckets, as just about every supporter of every other team in the land is going to need one to cope with the nauseating media outpouring that will go on for months (even years) when they finally end 30 years without a League Championship.

Unless the Queen passes away in the same week. Then their thunder will be well and truly stolen.

This from Babel at Ajax is brilliant

It is, honestly these players that do this make a mockery of the fans, we all know what pain is and we all know that you don't react like that, if you are really really hurt you barely move, and if its just a knock or an ouch you just kneel or sit down or slowly walk it off, no one in pain rolls around on the floor like that because you are only going to cause more pain, the natural reaction is to hold the area and stop bloody moving.