Europa battle

SKD

Could the Europa League spot potentially go down to 8th place if City aren't allowed in and the FA cup is won by a team already in Europe?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Probably not as I think the City situation will be appealed and will drag on for a year or two.

Our results against the four teams just above us look a bit painful now. Losing both games against Burnley (which will inevitably be replicated when we go to Goodison) throwing away 2-0 against Wolves and the win at Arsenal on 90+5 mins.

A couple of reasonable results from those games and we’d be fighting Spurs, Man U and the Blades for a Champions League place.

Probably not as I think the City situation will be appealed and will drag on for a year or two.
Fair point.
Our results against the four teams just above us look a bit painful now. Losing both games against Burnley (which will inevitably be replicated when we go to Goodison) throwing away 2-0 against Wolves and the win at Arsenal on 90+5 mins.

A couple of reasonable results from those games and we’d be fighting Spurs, Man U and the Blades for a Champions League place.

Which let's be honest just shows how poor the league is in general this year...

Fair point. Which let's be honest just shows how poor the league is in general this year...

The league is utter pish.

We've won three more league matches than Arsenal and the same number as Man U. Just remember how often we've been utter garbage and let that sink in.

COYR in with a chance of getting Europe.

With our Run in I don’t think we’ll lose another game.

Champions league isn’t out of reach.

[h=2][/h]

Happy to say we are no longer in a relegation battle (
unless we lose next week and we could get dragged back
).

Weird, both times we’ve played villa they’ve been dreadful, when I’ve seen them on the box they’ve not looked too bad, but on today’s display they won’t win another game.

Make up your mind mate ;)

Presuming Man Utd beat Watford its 6 points to catch up to 7th, our fixtures are winnable, only City really above us to play I think but we have to win more winnable games.

As someone above said, they dropped points against Wolves and Burnley hurt and probably have cost us that chance, 2-0 up and lost, and losing at home to a not very good Burnley team is annoying, 4 points from those and we'd be right in the mixer.

Certainly though Ralph and the coaches should be putting that there as an incentive, so we don't just peter out and go on our holidays.

[h=2][/h]

Happy to say we are no longer in a relegation battle (
unless we lose next week and we could get dragged back
).

Weird, both times we’ve played villa they’ve been dreadful, when I’ve seen them on the box they’ve not looked too bad, but on today’s display they won’t win another game.

Make up your mind mate ;)

I’ll tell you next week...

Fair point. Which let's be honest just shows how poor the league is in general this year...

I made the mistake of pointing that out in a comments section populated by loads of Liverpool fans. Lets just say they were having none of it and vehemently claimed I was trying to demean their 'greatest the world has ever seen' side and its achievements this season.

The top 6 have squads capable of fighting on multiple fronts. Iirc the last sides to be the 7th European qualified side have been us, Everton, Burnley, Watford and Leicester who all went on to have pretty disastrous domestic campaigns the season they were playing in Europe.

Wolves this season have very much bucked the trend, but Watford might well get relegated.

I pray we don’t somehow qualify, it would be a nightmare with our squad.

The top 6 have squads capable of fighting on multiple fronts. Iirc the last sides to be the 7th European qualified side have been us, Everton, Burnley, Watford and Leicester who all went on to have pretty disastrous domestic campaigns the season they were playing in Europe.

Wolves this season have very much bucked the trend, but Watford might well get relegated.

given how it is all the rage to do our business (in so many positions) in the summer....could you imagine the club getting that sorted whilst starting the season in July?

anyway, we wont be qualifying for Europe.....

Our squad is nowhere near strong enough to take on the extra games that the Europa cup brings. I am with Chewy on this.

I would like to see us scrape into the top half of the table. Would be happy with 10th, especially after where we were in November.

Now we finally seem to have a bit of stability will be nice to see how high we can get.

What Ralph's achieved with what he's had to play with pretty remarkable, sorting out who fits the system and who doesn't. Pretty much seems to have nailed it now. If we can hang on to him and give him a little backing in the summer, next season could be something special. He's just the manager we've been asking for.

Oh do fck off

Our squad is nowhere near strong enough to take on the extra games that the Europa cup brings. I am with Chewy on this.

I would like to see us scrape into the top half of the table. Would be happy with 10th, especially after where we were in November.

And you as well. Why the fck do you support the club? To exist in the PL? Bet you hope we go out of the cups as well as think of the benefit all that extra rest the players get.

Catch 22. The additional revenue of Europe would allow us to improve the squad

I’ve seen it all now. We’ve got so called fans not wanting us to get into Europe so the players can get extra rest. You can’t make this sort of stuff up

It’s also interesting to see that our ‘fans’ are happy to say we’re in with a chance of getting in Europe when we’re 6 points off 7th.. but they refuse to say we’re in with a chance of relegation when we’re 6 points off 17th :lol:

The entitlement and expectation to win a large share of games (despite how poor our team in) is probably why our fan base is so **** at the moment.

It’s also interesting to see that our ‘fans’ are happy to say we’re in with a chance of getting in Europe when we’re 6 points off 7th.. but they refuse to say we’re in with a chance of relegation when we’re 6 points off 17th :lol:

The entitlement and expectation to win a large share of games (despite how poor our team in) is probably why our fan base is so **** at the moment.

17th is not a relegation spot

So we shouldn't qualify for Europe this season to give us a better chance of qualifying next season?

The message I have taken is that it's likely that the consistent top 10 will become inconsistent and step aside for us.

While the inconsistent bottom 6-7 will become consistent (poor) and never had a chance of catching us once we got 5-6 points ahead.

basically the bottom clubs won’t beat the top 10 sides so can’t overtake us. But the top 10 won’t win as we will overtake them

its a riddle

It’s also interesting to see that our ‘fans’ are happy to say we’re in with a chance of getting in Europe when we’re 6 points off 7th.. but they refuse to say we’re in with a chance of relegation when we’re 6 points off 17th [emoji38]

Yeah because of away form gives the impression that we won't be able to turn over Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford or Norwich away from home.

There a reason why odds on us getting relegated are currently between 80/1 and 225/1

Top 6 finish is between 33/1 and 50/1

What are you rabbit ting on about, It was YOU. :lol: You started this thread because your relegation thread now looks foolish one game after it was posted.

You are the one that needs to row back from wetting yourself after a home defeat. Shouldn’t start throwing stones yourself. It’s ok to admit you were a fool.

I predicted 10th at the start of the season and Ill stick with that.

Hasn't been as easy as I maybe thought this season and the home form + the 0-9 will stick for sometime.

Big clear out this summer and hopefully brighter times ahead

The 0-9 is sticking for a while. All media outlets are incapable of writing or saying anything about us without mentioning it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are the one that needs to row back from wetting yourself after a home defeat. Shouldn’t start throwing stones yourself. It’s ok to admit you were a fool.

I just pointed out that we were only 7 points clear and had 2 massive fixtures to play. Fortunately for us, Villa are one of the worst teams I’ve seen at ST Mary’s since I can remember. If you actually read my posts, I said I didn’t think we’d go down :)

We’re now 6 points off Europe... so do we have a chance of Europe or not? Assuming not given 6 points was a significant enough gap for us not to be in a relegation battle...

I just pointed out that we were only 7 points clear and had 2 massive fixtures to play. Fortunately for us, Villa are one of the worst teams I’ve seen at ST Mary’s since I can remember. If you actually read my posts, I said I didn’t think we’d go down :)

We’re now 6 points off Europe... so do we have a chance of Europe or not? Assuming not given 6 points was a significant enough gap for us not to be in a relegation battle...

The point wasn't how far ahead we were from 18th, it was how close we were/are to 40 points. Even if we were on 31 right now, I'd absolutely back us to get 9 points from 11 games which will be more than enough to stay up. We weren't going down and your meltdown was embarrassing.

It’s a lot easier to lose (not win) points that it is to win them.

You need different levels of form to keep pace at the top (competing with better teams) than you do avoiding relegation (competing with poor teams) where a point a game will be enough to keep us well clear. A point a game will not be enough to get us into Europe. Make sense?

is this a serious quote?

jesus, bet you’re be first in line to polish that 10th Place Trophy

This is the most ridiculous thing said on here that maybe I have ever seen.

clearly you didn’t go to The EL games a few years ago, because if you were at the San Siro or Prague or Holland, you surely would have thought that this was about as good as it gets for team and supporters like us.

id take a EL group stage chance over finishing 17th all next season anyday.

It’s also interesting to see that our ‘fans’ are happy to say we’re in with a chance of getting in Europe when we’re 6 points off 7th.. but they refuse to say we’re in with a chance of relegation when we’re 6 points off 17th [emoji38]

Go back to poop-pooping your little pants about "getting dragged back in" you absolute weirdo.

You need different levels of form to keep pace at the top (competing with better teams) than you do avoiding relegation (competing with poor teams) where a point a game will be enough to keep us well clear. A point a game will not be enough to get us into Europe. Make sense?
The two separate concepts of "we won't be relegated this season" and "we won't finish in the Europa places this season" cannot co-exist in the mind of a simpleton.

is this a serious quote?

jesus, bet you’re be first in line to polish that 10th Place Trophy

This is the most ridiculous thing said on here that maybe I have ever seen.

clearly you didn’t go to The EL games a few years ago, because if you were at the San Siro or Prague or Holland, you surely would have thought that this was about as good as it gets for team and supporters like us.

id take a EL group stage chance over finishing 17th all next season anyday.

Agree with this. Much like the nutcases that used to say "it's too early to get promoted this season, let's build for next year". The best time to do anything - get promoted, win a cup, qualify for Europe - is always this season. Worry about the implications later. It's academic this season because we're not going to make it but as you say it was fantastic when we qualified and we should be trying to do it again at the earliest possible opportunity.

Go back to poop-pooping your little pants about "getting dragged back in" you absolute weirdo.

Had we lost to both Villa and West Ham, and the gap from them 2 teams closed to 3 points, would you have considered us for relegation, or would you have considered them both safe?

Fortunately for us, Villa are shambolic and allowed us to waste multiple chances, which on another day would cost us.

No need for the personal insults though buddy, if you’re that irate and upset that people have a differing opinion to you then a football forum isn’t for you.

Had we lost to both Villa and West Ham, and the gap from them 2 teams closed to 3 points, would you have considered us for relegation, or would you have considered them both safe?

Fortunately for us, Villa are shambolic and allowed us to waste multiple chances, which on another day would cost us.

No need for the personal insults though buddy, if you’re that irate and upset that people have a differing opinion to you then a football forum isn’t for you.

but we didn’t.

you can’t start saying ‘if’, I mean, ‘if’ we’d win all our matches this season we’d probably be top?

If we beat West Ham, Newcastle and Norwich we’ll be in with a chance, Arsenal / Wolves look like they could have Europa league commitments going on for a while that could help us, we’d need to get above Sheff Utd and Burnley which is do able I think.