Reed Gone - Official

Lighthouse

Were the club right to remove Reed?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Were the club right to remove Reed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

In football memories and patience spans are all too short. In my opinion he did a very good job until May 2017, and no one can deny four top 8 consecutive finishes is strong evidence.

Thereafter it has been a disaster but its possible to be both pleased he has gone but say thanks and well done for the good work in earlier years.

Gaston Ramirez

Emmanuel Mayuka

Vergard Forren

Dani Osvaldo

Florin Gardos

Fraser Forster

Juanmi

Cuco Martina

Jordy Clasie

Nathan Redmond

Sofiane Boufal

Martin Caceres

Jeremy Pied

Jan Bednarek

Guido Carrillo

Wesley Hoedt

Stuart Armstrong

Jannik Vestergaard

Mo Elyounoussi

The Toby Alderweireld transfer saga.

Fraser Forsters double contract extension.

Calling Koemans bluff and pushing him out of the club.

Les Reed's legacy. Take a bow.

Gaston Ramirez

Emmanuel Mayuka

Vergard Forren

Dani Osvaldo

Florin Gardos

Fraser Forster

Juanmi

Cuco Martina

Jordy Clasie

Nathan Redmond

Sofiane Boufal

Martin Caceres

Jeremy Pied

Jan Bednarek

Guido Carrillo

Wesley Hoedt

Stuart Armstrong

Jannik Vestergaard

Mo Elyounoussi

7 player sales to Liverpool

5 wins in 42

No league wins over top 6 in 900+ days

#legacy

Gaston Ramirez

Emmanuel Mayuka

Vergard Forren

Dani Osvaldo

Florin Gardos

Fraser Forster

Juanmi

Cuco Martina

Jordy Clasie

Nathan Redmond

Sofiane Boufal

Martin Caceres

Jeremy Pied

Jan Bednarek

Guido Carrillo

Wesley Hoedt

Stuart Armstrong

Jannik Vestergaard

Mo Elyounoussi

In the same period.

8th

7th

6th

8th

League cup final,

2 European campaigns

I’ll take that every day of the week. Les Reed take a bow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get Wenger in as manager ..then appoint DoF.

Don’t think Wenger would work at all. He was effectively failing at Arsenal given their resources. Look at the virtually immediate upturn after he went. Why would he be a success at a smaller club with far less money?

As for Reed, glad he’s gone but can’t see a rapid improvement happening, the malaise is far too ingrained for the sacking of one man to be the answer. As others have said his successful years shouldn’t be dismissed but this season is all about surviving in spite of the damage he inflicted in the last 2. Also he’s an utter ***t for being regularly interviewed and taking or at least implying he should take credit for things going well when they were, then completely disappearing from view when they weren’t.

Don't really know what has happened behind the scenes, but I would guess this gives Hughes more time. It seems that Reed has shouldered the blame for now (and rightfully so). Plus there were the on/off again rumors of friction between Hughes and Reed, so that could be part of this too.

Interesting that they state Wilson is highly regarded and will take on a more prominent role
How can he possibly be highly regarded with the disastrous recruitment we've had isn't it his job to scout players?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

In two minds about this.. still think he was the lesser of the evils and probably had his hands tied when Kat took over so not gonna lay all the player sales on his doorstep.

We had a purple spell with recruitment when considering we spend a lot less on players then maybe clubs wasn't gonna last for ever so maybe we were a bit spoiled in that department ?

The DE saying he hasn’t but maybe they’re not up-to-speed on developments?

Blackmore also saying no further departures expected....today...

Blackmore has liked a reply highlighting the ‘today’ in his his ‘no more departures today’ comment. Suggests more to follow.

As per my message in the 'where do we go from here?' thread, why is Ralph "slinging his hook" so important to how we perform on the field? I don't see how he is involved in recruitment, academy or coaching issues.

Because even my Grandsons know more about football than Ralph and they've been Saints far longer than he's been at the Club.Some of his press released have been farcical to say the least.

I’m just glad something is being changed, I don’t have a lot of faith in Gao finding a decent replacement but at least we’re shaking things up. It’s not rocket science though, just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around a field - hopefully this can be the start of an improvement.

Les was around for one of the most successful periods in our history, but that just happened to coincide with the only time we’ve ever been owned by a billionaire. It appeard as soon as Kat started tightening the purse strings he floundered from one bad descision to another. Clubs our size can’t afford to spend £20mill on a player and just send him out on loan, or have a 4th choice keeper on 100k a week.

giphy.gif

Hats off to those who have called for this for so long. Needed to happen ever since Lambert was sold. Lying peice of **** who tried to take credit for everything and blame for nothing. Utterley dismantled the promotion heritage inside 3 transfer windows and destroyed the fans bond with the team.

In my opinion we had a good chance of finishing top 4 if his tenure had not happened. We would certainly would not be in the mess we have been for the past 3 seasons under his predecessor.

He has been more damaging for the football club than Lowe for me. And at least Lowe sold players to finance the club's infrastructure and give us a stadium and strong academy. This bell end did over some deluded ego and a pay packet.

In football memories and patience spans are all too short. In my opinion he did a very good job until May 2017, and no one can deny four top 8 consecutive finishes is strong evidence.

Thereafter it has been a disaster but its possible to be both pleased he has gone but say thanks and well done for the good work in earlier years.

Good post, agree with this.

Time for another new chapter for our brilliant football club. The 'clear out' isn't finished yet

Luke Shaw liked the announcement from the club that Reed was gone on Twitter. mmmmm.

Shaw was very unhappy when Reed sacked Dodd and Williams. In the end, Reed got rid of just about everyone who was doing a good job at the club, after taking credit for their work, and the emperor was left with no clothes.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10843902/Luke-Shaw-dismayed-as-Southampton-sack-academy-coaches-Jason-Dodd-and-Paul-Williams.html

The first point at which I began to have doubts was when we sold Fonte in January last year and failed to bring in a replacement. I was all for selling him, at the right price, if we had someone decent signed up already. We didn’t and suddenly we were left plugging gaps with emergency solutions for half a season. From then on, things just kept getting sillier until the whole Forster/MoPe/Carrillo farce.

Hats off to those who have called for this for so long. Needed to happen ever since Lambert was sold. Lying peice of **** who tried to take credit for everything and blame for nothing. Utterley dismantled the promotion heritage inside 3 transfer windows and destroyed the fans bond with the team.

In my opinion we had a good chance of finishing top 4 if his tenure had not happened. We would certainly would not be in the mess we have been for the past 3 seasons under his predecessor.

He has been more damaging for the football club than Lowe for me. And at least Lowe sold players to finance the club's infrastructure and give us a stadium and strong academy. This bell end did over some deluded ego and a pay packet.

Are you actually being serious? wow

The first point at which I began to have doubts was when we sold Fonte in January last year and failed to bring in a replacement. I was all for selling him, at the right price, if we had someone decent signed up already. We didn’t and suddenly we were left plugging gaps with emergency solutions for half a season.

Yep, we may well have won our second major trophy if it wasn’t for that.

Interesting.

@AdamBlackmore: Had a good chat with Mark Hughes today, including having a bigger say in future signings (he had ‘limited input’ in summer signings) being his job to get team to start better pressure on him after Reed’s departure & bad start

Hear it on Sports Hour tomoz at 6pm #saintsfc

Having two Gao representatives on site makes me wonder a few things. Who are they? Do they have expertise in the area of PL club management? Will they be picking Ralph’s replacement?

Also, if they are present to represent Gao, what is the point of Ralph Krueger, who I thought was supposed to be the owner’s representative at the club?

To be perfectly frank it makes not one jot of difference if Gao’s reps are knowledgable about running a Premier League club or not. None of this is rocket science.

Ralph is now ‘experienced’ and is still astoundingly crap at it...

Cortese has none of this experience and was really very good at it.

Experience of running a successful business is more important.

Don't really know what has happened behind the scenes, but I would guess this gives Hughes more time. It seems that Reed has shouldered the blame for now (and rightfully so). Plus there were the on/off again rumors of friction between Hughes and Reed, so that could be part of this too.

Look forward to Hughes rolling out his radical 2-3-2-3 formation on Saturday (2 that can't mark, 3 that can't tackle, 2 that can't create and 3 that can't score).

Not sure we could beat Watford with a 5-5-5 formation.

Interesting.

LOL great timing for Hughes... he was apparently happy in the summer

https://readsouthampton.com/2018/07/13/hughes-happy-with-saints-business-so-far/

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-08-13/mark-hughes-on-summer-signings-post-southampton-burnley-premier-league

TBF Les's sacking is probably a bit of a lucky break for Hughes he can shift the blame for our inept displays this season elsewhere and he will get some breathing space to try and turn things around while the club try to find a new "Les"

The right decision however there’s such a negative legacy I do wonder whether there’s enough time to turn it around in time. I hope the club REALLY think long and hard about what the replacement looks like. Whoever it is they will need a significant amount of gravitas and respect from within the footballing World. Otherwise it will be seen as the Mickey Mouse, cheapo appointment and one that just re-enforces the poor recruitment decisions we’ve seen.

Do we have a single player past or present wishing Leslie well?

......Deathly silence much like Les over the period of our decline

We have a lot of players hiding behind the image of him as some sort of ogre...Lemina in particular. Time will tell if that’s true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really positive, been obvious for quite a while that the club has lost its mojo, and hopefully this is the first step in finding it again. Sets a tone throughout that we are not going to accept mediocrity and that there should be consequences for not meeting the levels that individuals need to attain.
We have been happy to accept mediocrity for two years at least.

I don't agree that this buys Hughes time. If we don't win on Saturday then the focus once again shifts to our very poor league campaign. It does take a little of the pressure off the players and coaches, at least in the short-term, which might benefit us.
IMO the only way Hughes should get more time is if the line up he uses on Saturday suddenly includes different players (as if to imply les was interfering) and we play a better brand of football. Unfortunately the line ups, tactics, etc will ask be the same.

I also dread to think about the utter crap we would bring in if Hughes has his say. Geoff Cameron anyone??

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

IMO the only way Hughes should get more time is if the line up he uses on Saturday suddenly includes different players (as if to imply les was interfering) and we play a better brand of football. Unfortunately the line ups, tactics, etc will ask be the same.

I also dread to think about the utter crap we would bring in if Hughes has his say. Geoff Cameron anyone??

I think if Les was interfering with team selection most of the signings he made in summer wouldn't be spending so much time on the bench !?

Not before time.

It is clear to anybody with a mud arse that Les's decisions at Manager and Recruitment level have been lamentable over the past 2 to 3 years.

I think the persistence with Pell and then blowing the budget on a Monaco reserve who was promptly loaned out to a bottom 3 La Liga side and sitting on the bench there was the last straw. It was either start well this season or toast, and the rest we know...

I think if Les was interfering with team selection most of the signings he made in summer wouldn't be spending so much time on the bench !?
That's kind of my point. Hughes should be just as vulnerable as he was before Reed left. His only excuse could possibly be "Les told me to", otherwise he's just hopelessly out of his depth.

Pulling a few of the threads together. When "consultants spend significant amounts of time inside a business they often create an alternative power structure to the existing management structure. With the two "spys" of Gao wandering around the Club, any dissenters to Reed etc had a possible conduit to Gao. Interesting that the Guardian refers to Ross Wilson as well regarded. They would have got that from either Kreuger or Gao's people. For Ross to escape this initial clear out, then Ross has been able to present to Gao's people with a credible version of the transfer foul ups that presents Ross as an "innocent" in this. Time will see if that spin holds up.

Edited by Topcat

The owner is getting nervous about his investment should the club get relegated. Nothing else ,least of all the quality of the product or customer satisfaction matters.

Yes and Kreuger would know that eventually either he or Reed would be fired so it was best to save himself by recommending to Gao that Reed left. Gao's in house representatives would have come to that conclusion and left Kreuger little option apart from resigning himself. Kat 9on the Board) and with 20% would have also played a role in that she appointed Kreuger who has enabled her to extract £200m, whereas Reed was not her appointment.

Pulling a few of the threads together. When "consultants spend significant amounts of time inside a business they often create an alternative power structure to the existing management structure. With the two "spys" of Gao wandering around the Club, any dissenters to Reed etc had a possible conduit to Gao. Interesting that the Guardian refers to Ross Wilson as well regarded. They would have got that from either Kreuger or Gao's people. For Ross to escape this initial clear out, then Ross has been able to present to Gao's people with a credible version of the transfer foul ups that presents Ross as an "innocent" in this. Time will see if that spin holds up.

It depends if it's spin or not - we don't actually know how the players are presented to the transfer committee, and how the decisions are actually made. We've been told how it works, but I'm not sure I believe it, and certainly I would expect Reed to have the final say on most things.