Peterbrough

Dazza82

I think they will be our biggest challangers for 2nd place, its hard to see them dropping points and they have now stopped shipping goals too.

Could our 4-4 game against them be worse than we thought?

Looking at their fixtures though does make me think they will slip up, If we win all of our games anyway it wont matter but thats a big IF, They have only 4 games left to play at home and that against

Bournemouth *

Plymouth

Yeovil

Dag & Red

Away they have

Sheff Wed

MK Dons *

Bristol R

Dag & Red

Huddersfield *

Leyton Orient *

Rochdale

* are the ones they may slip up in imo

I think they will be our biggest challangers for 2nd place, its hard to see them dropping points and they have now stopped shipping goals too.

Looking at their fixtures though does make me think they will slip up, If we win all of our games anyway it wont matter but thats a big IF, They have only 4 games left to play at home and that against

Bournemouth *

Plymouth

Yeovil

Dag & Red

Away they have

Sheff Wed

MK Dons *

Bristol R

Dag & Red

Huddersfield *

Leyton Orient *

Rochdale

* are the ones they may slip up in imo

I too think they will be our biggest rivals for second place, but not writing off Huddersfield either!!!

Think they'll win all their home games and the upsets could come away from home with the ones you have marked being real toughies/6 pointers (although they haven't been that bad away either recently - 9 from 5 games I think)

Unless Peterborough suffer a drop off in form, they have to be favourites for the second spot over us. Although our form has not been the greatest, we have managed results that in previous times we never would of, that bodes very well. The last team I would want to meet in the play offs at present would be Peterborough, they are ripping teams apart for fun. We have not gone on a run yet and if we did, we will have our chance.

I think Peterborough will be beat Bournemouth - they are a very different team now to the one that got thrashed by Bournemouth earlier this season!

Also I think our third defeat of Bompey could be a psychological nail in their coffin - and lead to a collapse of form from them

Unless Peterborough suffer a drop off in form, they have to be favourites for the second spot over us. Although our form has not been the greatest, we have managed results that in previous times we never would of, that bodes very well. The last team I would want to meet in the play offs at present would be Peterborough, they are ripping teams apart for fun. We have not gone on a run yet and if we did, we will have our chance.

How can you say if we win our 2 games in hand we are 4 points ahead of them and all we have to do is match them point for point

We are effectively in second (technically not, but taking a pts per game we are and should expect to be in 2nd when games in hand are taken into consideration), on a great run of form, with a great squad. Whilst I agree that Peterborough are probably our closest competiton, it's in our hands.

I agree with you on this as well. They are scoring goals for fun,and seem to have tightened up at the back in the last few games,which they needed to do.

I just hope throwing away two goal leads twice in the game up there,does not come back to haunt us.I heard a rumour at the Swindon game,that Mackhail-Smith

was one of the players we had a substantial bid in for in january,we offered supposedly 1.2 million and they wanted 2 million. I hope that does not comeback to haunt us either.

Hudders are very stretched at the moment.

As well as Pilkington being out, they've now lost Kay - their CB, for a good month or so.

I think they'll feel the strain if I'm honest and just come up short in the end.

It's easy to say ''I don't know where P'boro will drop points'' at the moment - as they're winning most weeks, but there was a thread about Charlton a few months ago ''They're our biggest challengers'' etc.

A month of defeats and draws for them and they are out of any promotion race. The amount of away games they have left is crucial and with our games in hand and our home games....we should have enough to do it, and hopefully before the last game of the season too!

and hopefully before the last game of the season too!

Have always thought it will go to the last game of the season, which won't be good for my nerves.

History has us getting promoted at a London venue, so maybe we will go up at Brentford and Walsall at home will be a party!!!!!

Have always thought it will go to the last game of the season, which won't be good for my nerves.

History has us getting promoted at a London venue, so maybe we will go up at Brentford and Walsall at home will be a party!!!!!

If it does go to the last game of the season...then we have to be second going into it.

The key games on the last day:

Bournemouth v Rochdale, 15:00

Huddersfield v Brentford, 15:00

Peterborough v Dag & Red, 15:00

Southampton v Walsall, 15:00

All at home against struggling teams...you'd fancy everyone to win their games.

Whilst I hope & pray we go up in 2nd automatically, Peterborough are our biggest threat, if we have to go via the play off route then I hope its Posh who get the 2nd auto place. I really wouldn't want to be playing them now. They are scoring for fun & have stopped conceding 4 clean sheets in a row.

I certainly think we will drop points over the rest of the season. Leyton Orient away I think we will los and Brighton away will be very tough. Peterborough definitely our main rivals IMO. They have some player (CMS/Boyd) that are simply far too good for this league. It's going to be very tight, I fully expect us to go into the last game if the season needing to beat Walsall to guarantee promotion.

Orient have really surprised me (and loads of others) having a great run at the moment, but hey, great memories of '66 and '78 should be enough

Orient are on a march. We'll get 2nd spot but Bournemouth might loose out a play off place to the Londoners.

If it does go to the last game of the season...then we have to be second going into it.

The key games on the last day:

Bournemouth v Rochdale, 15:00

Huddersfield v Brentford, 15:00

Peterborough v Dag & Red, 15:00

Southampton v Walsall, 15:00

All at home against struggling teams...you'd fancy everyone to win their games.

Thats quite remarkable.

I don't think Peterborough are as good as the table suggests, they have some tough games to come and yesterday they played against a very different Carlisle to the one that we saw, they looked drunk - and with a soft ref - again.

Do some of these smaller teams not bother at grounds like Peterborough and then get all committed when they come to a big ground?

We need to keep on pocketing the points and the others will fall away - we have depth in the squad, they don't.

Yesterday was pivotal to the season.

IMHO, Two things will come back to haunt us

1) Letting a two goal lead slip TWICE in the 4-4 v P'boro .... Two VITAL points dropped

2) NOT getting Craig Mackail Smith

I cannot see where they will drop any points on the run in

All the more galling when it's Sir Alex's wonderful Son ( who couldn't motivate PNE ), getting all the plaudits for P'boro's Goal Machinr Team

I really hope we do not have to go through the Lottery of the Play Offs

I cannot see where they will drop any points on the run in

Peterborough have a few hard games left as do we. I think MK Dons,Huddersfield,Orient and even Bournemouth may well trouble them still.With their potent attack they can crush anyone on their day but it may not always be their day.Saints and Posh have an equal number of tricky games left and it's possible second place depends on the outcome of these,particularly the games against MK Dons and Orient for both sides.We have to play Brighton they've got Huddersfield so it's about even steven really.

IMHO, Two things will come back to haunt us

1) Letting a two goal lead slip TWICE in the 4-4 v P'boro .... Two VITAL points dropped

Or you could look at the fact that they have only taken 1 point off us this season - and that was only thanks to a very dodgy last-minute penalty. Remember we beat them 4-1 at SMS earlier in the season.

They've only conceded twice in their last 7 games (5 clean sheets) and have scored in their last 21 league games at a rate of 2.52 goals per game.

It might be "in our hands" but those are some worrying statistics.

they've changed a central defender of late don't know the whys and wherefores though.

If Peterborough and Saints continue their current form, if I was Brighton I would be bricking it.

Not really, Brighton can probably afford to lose nearly half of their remaining games and still be champions.Their current form is as good as or better than ours or Peterborough's.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by up and away viewpost-right.png

Have to be? No they don't. In fact, they aren't, factually, are they? Every bookies I check puts us as favourites for 2nd. So we HAVE to be favourites for second don't we? I'd rather be in our position as I think we'll win the games in hand. Plus I think we're a better side. Many twists and turns to come, but I think we'll focus more for the business end of the season. Focus has been our problem, as if we need a walsall defeat to start a winning run again. 3 wins in a row is nice, but we need more. 2 tough games coming up, but hopefully we can get 6 points and not look back.

Peterborough are capable of losing any game, especially away, just like we've been, so it's pointless predicting their results.

If it's pointless predicting anything, why are any of us on this forum? Both ourselves and Peterborough have been getting the results of late, but Peterborough have looked far more convincing and I firmly believe we will need more than a two point advantage over them if they keep up their current form. I don't think they will keep up their form, but I am even more concerned with ourselves than them. You look at all the teams for the +/- in their play and form, Brighton are built around a solid defence and I don't think they are touchable at present, being able to drag out results when sometimes they don't deserve to all through the season. Peterborough have suddenly found a defence to go alongside that awesome attack and that is a major threat.

The way we set up the team we are dependent to a large extent upon our two star talents, Lallana and Oxo and I feel we are risking them and our chances too much by the amount of games we are asking them to start. If these players are not doing the business, pressure immediately comes on the full backs and midfield. Lose Lallana and we all know what happens to our results, lose Oxo and the pressure and volume of games on Lallana become excessive. If you play them when jaded it's just as bad because it allows the opposition free run at our full backs.

How we finish this season will be dependent upon how we use Lallana and Oxo in getting the most quality out of them. The way we are going at present I feel is very risky to get the best results with the volume of games we have for the rest of the season.

Their away record isn't good and they have MK Dons, Udds and Orient to play on their travels. Some big talk from Boyd on the BBC site too....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/peterborough_united/9424096.stm

Their recent away form is excellent, won 3 of 3, everything has changed at Peterborough since Ferguson has got them back under control. He's brought back Zakuani into the centre of their defence and has them scoring almost at will. They might crack, so might we,so might Brighton but on recent form everybody Brighton,Saints and Peterborough are much on a par.