Kelvin Davis to be sold with Rasiak, Saga and Skacel

Matthew Le God

I'd rather we didn't sell Davis as Bialkowski doesn't fill me with confidence and Forecast is totally untried at this level.

However, if selling Davis meant we were in a position to keep Surman then I think that would soften the blow somewhat.

I'd much rather keep Davis than Surman. £ for £ I think the goalkeeper is the most important player on the pitch. No-one else wins or loses you games like a good /bad goalkeeper does.

Of all the players to leave, KD would be the most missed unless BB gets much better or Forecast turns out to be a star. I hope this rumour isn't true but I believe the club is on record as saying Davis is one of the targets for sale if possible. Presumably we bought Forecast as cover for Bart so it makes sense (but only financially, not footballing).

If KD leaves it would be a disaster unless we signed an experienced replacement.

£1.25m would be a good price so I can understand the temptation but BB is dodgy as anything and Forecast is a novice.

Completely agree.

I have actually changed my opinion from past seasons in that Kelvin is better than Bart, not that I'm a huge fan of either but best of a bad bunch. Kelvin was showing better form last season prior to Wright's arrival.

Having had more time watching Bart, I can safely comment he isn't up to much imho. He's shakey and doesn't fill me with confidence (It's probably his lack of decent positioning in the box and general reactions/reading of the game - key assets of a keeper - that worry me). He just doesn't look that great and I believe the earlier hype was just that...hype.

Leaving just the inexperienced pair, Bart and Forecast, is extremely dangerous and YET ANOTHER suicidal move in relying on a youth heavy squad (now looking 95% kids). Not against kids having their chance (liked some of the movement) but the percentage we have gone and seem still going towards seems ridiculous in this league (with very few older, more experienced and stable heads for when the long slog gets tougher, come crunch times around come Feb/March - May. Remember kids tire more than players at their peak – say 25-30yr olds). Maybe we’ll get some more loans cos we’re so desperately thin on players (forget the finance talk for 5mins!)

Let’s hope we have some luck and very few injuries this season. I am bricking it!

Davis for £1.25m is the rumour

I would bite their hands off tbh, that's a lot of money for a goalkeeper who was in a relegation-tipped side last year.

Whilst Bart has been poor of late, he's hardly been shown much faith has he? Two bad games last season behind a terrible defence and he was dropped. Even Bennett was given more of a chance.

I don't think we are in a position to turn down £1.25m for KD, if the Stoke bid is true. I would imagine he is one of our high earners and the chance to bring in money + get rid of wages is too good to pass up.

Davis is a good shotstopper, but I've never been overly confident in his ablility to command his area. I often wonder if this is why we seem to let in so many from set pieces and high balls into the box.

If Davis does go, I would hope that we be able to get an experienced keeper on loan from somewhere, or perhaps line one up, if BB and Forecast turn out to not be up to the job.

Completely agree.

I have actually changed my opinion from past seasons in that Kelvin is better than Bart, not that I'm a huge fan of either but best of a bad bunch. Kelvin was showing better form last season prior to Wright's arrival.

Having had more time watching Bart, I can safely comment he isn't up to much imho. He's shakey and doesn't fill me with confidence (It's probably his lack of decent positioning in the box and general reactions/reading of the game - key assets of a keeper - that worry me). He just doesn't look that great and I believe the earlier hype was just that...hype.

Leaving just the inexperienced pair, Bart and Forecast, is extremely dangerous and YET ANOTHER suicidal move in relying on a youth heavy squad (now looking 95% kids). Not against kids having their chance (liked some of the movement) but the percentage we have gone and seem still going towards seems ridiculous in this league (with very few older, more experienced and stable heads for when the long slog gets tougher, come crunch times around come Feb/March - May. Remember kids tire more than players at their peak – say 25-30yr olds). Maybe we’ll get some more loans cos we’re so desperately thin on players (forget the finance talk for 5mins!)

Let’s hope we have some luck and very few injuries this season. I am bricking it!

Overall when Bart has had a spell in the first team he has out performed Kelvin at that time. The other thing is that if you take the Hollywood out of Kelvins performances I believe you see a different picture. By stature he is not that short, but the way he deals with events / situations give you the impression he is 6" shorter than he actually is. Take Tim Howard for example, exactly the opposite. I did not feel he was that good against Birmingham where some things went unnoticed by many, especially when he palmed that shoot out into the path of their forward when he should have put it behind for a corner. Not complaining about having him in goal, as overall it seems deserved at the present, but I do not believe it is that clear cut as you have made out. Always a risk in letting players go when you are uncertain to what exactly will follow, but for that sort of fee I would go for it.

Overall when Bart has had a spell in the first team he has out performed Kelvin at that time. The other thing is that if you take the Hollywood out of Kelvins performances I believe you see a different picture. By stature he is not that short, but the way he deals with events / situations give you the impression he is 6" shorter than he actually is. Take Tim Howard for example, exactly the opposite. I did not feel he was that good against Birmingham where some things went unnoticed by many, especially when he palmed that shoot out into the path of their forward when he should have put it behind for a corner. Not complaining about having him in goal, as overall it seems deserved at the present, but I do not believe it is that clear cut as you have made out. Always a risk in letting players go when you are uncertain to what exactly will follow, but for that sort of fee I would go for it.

He palmed it sideways though, not back into the danger area.

He is our best keeper (unless Forecast is good) by a long shot.

BB is simply not good enough IMO and I dispute the claim that he outperforms Davis.

Agree that Bart is not good enough at the moment. With the sale of Kelvin we might be able to get a decent loan goalie from somewhere, plus £1.25m would be an incredible amount if true. This would surely mean that we could keep the rest of the squad together with the exception of Rudi and Euell.

Not convinced the Stoke deal will happen. They've just signed Sorenson who is much better than Davis and have a good number two in Simonsen. Unless Simonsen is on his way out, but does Kelvin really want to sit on the bench at Stoke all season at this stage of his career?

Not convinced the Stoke deal will happen. They've just signed Sorenson who is much better than Davis and have a good number two in Simonsen. Unless Simonsen is on his way out, but does Kelvin really want to sit on the bench at Stoke all season at this stage of his career?

And the ex Man City keeper from Preston last year I believe.

It's interesting that Kelvin has provoked much debate but now that there's a rumour that he may be going, people seem less certain that they want him to go. Bart is not the answer yet but has anyone seen Forecast play? Having brought him in, I was slightly surprised that he didn't start in the reserves fixture against Reading.

It's interesting that Kelvin has provoked much debate but now that there's a rumour that he may be going, people seem less certain that they want him to go. Bart is not the answer yet but has anyone seen Forecast play? Having brought him in, I was slightly surprised that he didn't start in the reserves fixture against Reading.

He played the second half at Salisbury, and although didn't have a lot to do, what he did do was competent...

He played the second half at Salisbury, and although didn't have a lot to do, what he did do was competent...

I know its not a lot to go on Weston, but if Kelvin was sold would you go with Forecast or Bart? (assuming we don't bring anyone else in)

Edited by Gorgiesaint
adding my assumption

has anyone seen Forecast play? Having brought him in, I was slightly surprised that he didn't start in the reserves fixture against Reading.

It is odd that he has only played one half in one friendly - especially since he supposedly moved to us because he wanted to play more.

I don't see how so many people are drawing the conclusion that Bart isn't good enough, based on 2 games a year ago behind a truly dreadful defence. Seriously, Makin and Bennett Mk 1. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

In pretty much all the other games he has played for us, he has been absolutely fine and looked better than Davis in many of them.

I don't have a problem with Davis in goal, but in an ideal world I'd have shot of him long before Saga, Rasiak or Davies iif we need to save money.

Forecast... I just don't get it. Why spend money on a 'keeper from a Prem side when we already had Davis, Poke, Bart and Pernecky. GK is the one possition where you can bring in short term loans and get away with it.

I know its not a lot to go on Weston, but if Kelvin was sold would you go with Forecast or Bart? (assuming we don't bring anyone else in)

I'd give Forecast a go, if nothing else the sun shining off his bald patches might dazzle the opposition :rolleyes:

You're right it's not a lot to go on, but he looked solid enough to me, and there must have been a reason we bought him :smt102

I'd give Forecast a go, if nothing else the sun shining off his bald patches might dazzle the opposition :rolleyes:

You're right it's not a lot to go on, but he looked solid enough to me, and there must have been a reason we bought him :smt102

Thanks Weston. As Arizona pointed out, it seems a strange signing unless we thought Kelvin was going at that time as we already had plenty of cover. And the OS didn't make it appear that we were signing him just as cover - 4th choice at Spurs to 3rd choice at Saints is hardly a step up!!

I don't see how so many people are drawing the conclusion that Bart isn't good enough, based on 2 games a year ago behind a truly dreadful defence. Seriously, Makin and Bennett Mk 1. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

In pretty much all the other games he has played for us, he has been absolutely fine and looked better than Davis in many of them.

I don't have a problem with Davis in goal, but in an ideal world I'd have shot of him long before Saga, Rasiak or Davies iif we need to save money.

Forecast... I just don't get it. Why spend money on a 'keeper from a Prem side when we already had Davis, Poke, Bart and Pernecky. GK is the one possition where you can bring in short term loans and get away with it.

Arizona I dont know if you have seen BB play recently, but his confidence is shot.Hes a bag of nerves

Davis for over a million, rip there f8ckoin hands off, why do people now think he is so good?? he's sh*t.

Davis has been excellent in the two league games I've seen him this season. His loss would be a serious dent on our safety in this league.

Arizona I dont know if you have seen BB play recently, but his confidence is shot.Hes a bag of nerves

Recently, as in his last competitive game, which would have been Posh in the cup IIRC? I heard he did quite well against the Hammers in pre-season.

Saints Web may be a new board but the same posters chanting out the same rhetoric. Cutting costs is very very easy. Cutting costs whilst maintaining similar or superior performance is not.

I'll second that. Cutting costs and maintaining performance while carefully being aware of the (?) calculated and multifactorial risks we are running is even harder...

Beyond anyone in the current plc, IMO.

Recently, as in his last competitive game, which would have been Posh in the cup IIRC? I heard he did quite well against the Hammers in pre-season.

If KD has played like BB did in that game he would have got a frightful slagging on here (and I saw it).

KD has been many times better in both league games and has still got slagged off.

Every time BB tries to catch something he seems to drop it and his positioning is gash.

IMO.

Did Bart not play against Exeter in the Carling Cup? Anyone on that went to the game & can give a quick run down on how he played?

I saw the goal for which he was clearly at fault.

Imagine if that had been KD.

People have blamed him for a ball bouncing down and over his head and for Svennson failing to mark properly so far this season so imagine if he actually made a mistake!!

If KD has played like BB did in that game he would have got a frightful slagging on here (and I saw it).

KD has been many times better in both league games and has still got slagged off.

Every time BB tries to catch something he seems to drop it and his positioning is gash.

IMO.

No disrespect to Kelvin but for every dead ball situation he stays rooted to his spot rather than come out of his box and trying to catch the ball. It is difficult to determine who is the better but if Kelvin leaves then I don't think Bartosz will be any worse than him.

No disrespect to Kelvin but for every dead ball situation he stays rooted to his spot rather than come out of his box and trying to catch the ball. It is difficult to determine who is the better but if Kelvin leaves then I don't think Bartosz will be any worse than him.

A surefire recipe for disaster IMO ;)

Whatever people think of Kelvin, he is a better keeper at the moment than BB.Bart has been poor since his inital run in the team and his injury. Derby in the home play off he looked like a startled rabbit, and everytime I've seen him since he seems to get worse. Whether a first team run will be the making of him, no one knows, but he's not up to it as things stand at the moment.

Whatever people think of Kelvin, he is a better keeper at the moment than BB.Bart has been poor since his inital run in the team and his injury. Derby in the home play off he looked like a startled rabbit, and everytime I've seen him since he seems to get worse. Whether a first team run will be the making of him, no one knows, but he's not up to it as things stand at the moment.

People say that about the playoffs, but Davis was hardly any better in the second leg. He really should have at least parried Darren Moore's goal and there was at least one instance where he completely missed the ball and Baird headered it off the line. Bart conceded a header from a set piece, from a badly marked Steve Howard, and a penalty. Neither of which you can really say he was at fault for. He has also never put in a performance like Davis did at Hillsborough last year.

Totally agree with that ....a big disappointment after early promise

Did Bart not play against Exeter in the Carling Cup? Anyone on that went to the game & can give a quick run down on how he played?
Well I was there and he was so poor it was laughable. Perry turned to make a pss back but BB had come to the edge of the area, and ball went past him and he had to kick it away before it went in.He took a straightforward catrch and then dropped it ,it went between his legs and then he had to dive back on it before the forwarde got to it. He made a flying catch of the most dramatic style when it was just a simple take.A shot came at him at just above head height and it slipped from his hands went behind him but fortunately it went more sideways not direct into the goal. There were more,as for being a keeper who comes out at set pieces that is folklore, he was stuck on his line 3 times when a cross came over inside the 6yard box and it was scrambled away.

All in all he needs to regain his confidence and stop spilling the ball.Its not his time yet,

Whrer has this Davis rumour come from?

It hasn't been reported anywhere else - and it all seems pie-in-the-sky.

Stoke have already got 2 senior keepers.

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.showNews.php?id=13603

Passing him in the revolving door could be Kelvin Davis who Stoke are still reportebly interested in, at least Davis will command a fee, unlike Rudi Skacel, who according to reports could still go to Ipswich, stumbling block was his wages, but it seems that Saints might cut their losses and let him go for free so they can rid his wages from the payroll.