Millwall and Burnley plotting swoop for Saints' Seaborne

Wes Tender

Can't see this anywhere on here. According to this http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/8045/7/millwall-and-burnley-plotting-swoop-saints-seaborne Millwall and Burnley are after Seaborne.

Interestingly, the supposed source seems to be a certain Wally Downes.

But why would Seaborne leave us for other clubs in the same division, unless he feels that he doesn't have a future with us?

Can't see this anywhere on here. According to this http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/8045/7/millwall-and-burnley-plotting-swoop-saints-seaborne Millwall and Burnley are after Seaborne.

But why would Seaborne leave us for other clubs in the same division, unless he feels that he doesn't have a future with us?

first team football...?

first team football...?

Interesting that teams that finished 8th and 9th last season may be after one of our players. But Seaborne played for us 28 times last season and surely if he is progressing, his chances will increase as competitors for the CB position like Jaidi get older or can't play as often because of injuries. Ultimately, he might consider that we offer the better chance of Premiership football than either Millwall or Burnley, unless as I say, he feels that his future prospects with us for are not good for some reason.

Interesting that teams that finished 8th and 9th last season may be after one of our players. But Seaborne played for us 28 times last season and surely if he is progressing, his chances will increase as competitors for the CB position like Jaidi get older or can't play as often because of injuries. Ultimately, he might consider that we offer the better chance of Premiership football than either Millwall or Burnley, unless as I say, he feels that his future prospects with us for are not good for some reason.

you can put any pro saints look on it..he is not first choice..he may well be first choice at another club.....

Dan Seaborne took a lot of stick for his mistake that let Peterborough equalise in the away fixture in Feb, not just stick from the fans, as he seemed to be out of favour with Adkins after that. But he is young, should be expected to get better and as a left sided CB adds a dimension to the side. The Posh game apart, he is usually very quick. I'd be sorry to see him go.

Dan Seaborne took a lot of stick for his mistake that let Peterborough equalise in the away fixture in Feb, not just stick from the fans, as he seemed to be out of favour with Adkins after that. But he is young, should be expected to get better and as a left sided CB adds a dimension to the side. The Posh game apart, he is usually very quick. I'd be sorry to see him go.

I'd say he's a bit clumsy for a NPC defender,given away a couple of penalties like that. The one at Tranmere being a golden example,made it look too valid by sticking his arm under the opponents chin, bloke only has to go down like a sack of sh*te and the ref will blow. He's done it again since.

plus I'm not sure his use of the ball is what NA wants to see, then again neither is that of Jaidi most of the time.

You,re havin a laugh. He has got no pace at all.As for our quickest in my opinion none of the centre backs have lightning pace. Fonte is an outstanding ventre back who reads the game very well.

Of all the criticisms you can label at Seabornes door a lack of pace isn't one of them. He's our quickest CB.

Of all the criticisms you can label at Seabornes door a lack of pace isn't one of them. He's our quickest CB.

This is true. Nevertheless, he will be found wanting in the NPC IMO - not good enough and will always be a bench warmer above L1 level.

Best of a bad bunch regarding pace.

Think it was more to do with poor judgement/positioning/alertness at P'boro that left him trailing.

To be fair not many defenders could contain Mackail-Smith this season.

I don't even blame him for that, he was totally out of his depth against CMS anyway.Whoever gets him will get a real bargain, probably about 3 million all up , no bigger chancy punt than an unknown 19 year old from the Brazilian Second Divsion in my idea of things.Footballer transfer fees for young unknown overseas players have got completely out of proportion, most of them have only played half a season for Santos reserves or something and they're being touted at 15/20 million.So many EPL clubs have been completely conned into parting with real money for players who just don't adapt to English Football, like Aquilini

and some of the trash Arsenal have signed. English league football is a world apart and it's not easy to adapt to for some.

I don't even blame him for that, he was totally out of his depth against CMS anyway.Whoever gets him will get a real bargain, probably about 3 million all up , no bigger chancy punt than an unknown 19 year old from the Brazilian Second Divsion in my idea of things.Footballer transfer fees for young unknown overseas players have got completely out of proportion, most of them have only played half a season for Santos reserves or something and they're being touted at 15/20 million.So many EPL clubs have been completely conned into parting with real money for players who just don't adapt to English Football, like Aquilini

and some of the trash Arsenal have signed. English league football is a world apart and it's not easy to adapt to for some.

Ah yes. That good old English league mentality that a player who runs around a lot is worth the same or more than a talented technical footballer. Kinda depressing don't you think that a player who has made his name in the game in the lower leagues of English football because he works hard and scores a decent amount of goals (Barring 1 or 2 exceptional seasons) is suited more to our league than a 19r old footballer who is technically gifted and has potential. Short term management theory sponsored by Harry Redknapp.

Personally I think the English game would benefit incredibly from taking time to try and suit these technical players into our game. Not just internationally but it terms of technical play our league would improve hugely and we wouldn't have to watch some seriously horrendous players play every week because of "there commitment to the cause" or hear comments such as "he's real asset in the air" or "his strength makes him a threat".

Ah yes. That good old English league mentality that a player who runs around a lot is worth the same or more than a talented technical footballer. Kinda depressing don't you think that a player who has made his name in the game in the lower leagues of English football because he works hard and scores a decent amount of goals (Barring 1 or 2 exceptional seasons) is suited more to our league than a 19r old footballer who is technically gifted and has potential. Short term management theory sponsored by Harry Redknapp.

Personally I think the English game would benefit incredibly from taking time to try and suit these technical players into our game. Not just internationally but it terms of technical play our league would improve hugely and we wouldn't have to watch some seriously horrendous players play every week because of "there commitment to the cause" or hear comments such as "he's real asset in the air" or "his strength makes him a threat".

What an incredibly patronising (and ludicrous) post.

It's not that I don't admire technically talented footballers, I'm in fact thair biggest fan but I do believe that many clubs are paying way,way over the odds for players who are totally unsuited to the football that they'll be asked to play.We (the English game) need to improve the technical ability of our own players so that our game improves in itself rather than paying shedloads of cash for kids who'll hang about Chelsea reserves for a couple of seasons and then be sold to Sporting Lisbon or Almeria at a knock down price without bringing anything whatsoever to our national game.

I'm particularly pleased with the way Morgan has stuck it out with us. Knowing him vaguely from the Gambardella team at RCS

I could tell that he was having a difficult time with us (I thought he'd leave last season) but in the latter part of last season

I began to see the player I knew from RCS and the bleuets. I think we'll see great things from him next season provided he has

NA's confidence.

What an incredibly insightful (and thought-provoking) post. Unless of course you're an idiot and see this as an attack on your own strong-held and unmovable views, rather than the food for thought that it is.

What about the Wally Downes connection? How would he know whether Burnley or Millwall were after him? Seaborne was a Pardew signing and maybe Downes still talks to him. But otherwise could there be an element of sh*t-stirring because Downes and Pardew left under strained circumstances? I too believe that we could pick up a CB who is better than Seaborne, so it doesn't bother me unduly whether this rumour is true or not. However I do find it interesting that two teams relatively near to the upper end of the division are supposed to be interested in him and also IMO if we didn't wish to sell him, I would have thought that he would consider us to be the better longer term prospect for his career, provided that he was part of Adkins' plans.

Seaborne is pacey and is decent on the ball, having a left footed CB also helps a great deal. His problem is he simply is not strong enough in the air. He doesn't bully strikers. He gets bullied himself. If he could harden up a bit then he'd be excellent.

What about the Wally Downes connection? How would he know whether Burnley or Millwall were after him? Seaborne was a Pardew signing and maybe Downes still talks to him. But otherwise could there be an element of sh*t-stirring because Downes and Pardew left under strained circumstances? I too believe that we could pick up a CB who is better than Seaborne, so it doesn't bother me unduly whether this rumour is true or not. However I do find it interesting that two teams relatively near to the upper end of the division are supposed to be interested in him and also IMO if we didn't wish to sell him, I would have thought that he would consider us to be the better longer term prospect for his career, provided that he was part of Adkins' plans.

Downes has done a number of articles for TalkSport about Saints since he left the club, none of which have come true.

Dan Harding was the real cause of the Peterborough goal. His positioning forward and left of Seabourne removed all Seabourne's options and took himself out of the game. He should have dropped off behind Seabourne to cover the only threat, MacHail-Smiths run past Seabourne, that would have made Harding the last man instead of Seabourne, who, if he had manhandled CMS would have been sent off. It meant that if Harding had covered, Seabourne could have stopped CMS and at worst been yellow carded and failing that Harding could have driven CMS wider meaning it would be unlikely that Davis would have been beaten at the near post. He was also at fault for the goal at the corner, facing away from his marker he lost sight of him and allowed him to get across him and score. If he had faced the opponent he could still have watched the ball but the forward wouldn't have been able to get across him. Blaming Seabourne for not being as quick as CMS is rediculous, Harding knew that but still didn't cover him.

Seaborne is pacey and is decent on the ball, having a left footed CB also helps a great deal. His problem is he simply is not strong enough in the air. He doesn't bully strikers. He gets bullied himself. If he could harden up a bit then he'd be excellent.

This. We he has had a run in the team he has looked solid. How can everyone foucs on one goal so much, he got done by a quicker striker? He's made on error and its used to sterotype him. He is unproven in the NPC as are many of our players, he is very early twenties so why not give him a little bit of patience.

Are we seriously judging players on one game away to the countries most attacking team in awful conditions?

They all fcked up that night, including kelvin, but it was one game of 46.

No, but if there is blame being apportioned, it was who allowed Seabourne to be exposed to possibly the quickest, most aggressive forward in Div 1 rather than him being beaten for pace when left without cover.

More Money a Longer Contract Regular Football

Was told from a reliable source at the end of the seaon that Seabourne was probably off, so this fits with that. Probably wants/expects to be first choice wherever he's playing and possibly knows that Adkins doesn't higely rate him and he's not quite the quality we'll be looking for in the Championship. Think he'd do well for a mid-ranking League One side if he got enough of a run in the side, which I guess was the case originally at Exeter.

I'm no great fan of Seaborne, but I seem to recall that the 4-4 game at Peterboro was played on a pretty windy night, and he may have misjudged the ball played through for CMS as the strong wind caused the ball to move unpredictably. They were difficult conditions for anybody to defend in.

I don't know about the Peterboro game as I wasn't there, but I was at the away game at Huddersfield and imo Seabourne was dreadful in that game - several times the ball bounced over him because of his inability in the air and in particular his poor timing. He was responsible for at least one if not both of the Huddersfield goals. If he is to remain at Saints and hold down a regular spot in the side then he will need to improve in these areas and some of the others that have been noted by others.

Adkins and the coaching staff will need to make the call as to whether they think Seabourne can make the step up to regular first team football in the CCC or whether we need to invest in another CB. Personally I rate Martin more highly - but what do I know?!

We need a new CB and if we're going to keep Jaidi then we need to lose Seaborne or Martin. Having 5 CBs on the books is just a waste and a drain on resources.

Oh ye of short memory,

it wasn't SO long ago that we had FIVE injured central defenders (last season in Prem.?) Lundekvam & Co.

I'm not advocating that we sign three more CBs but with suspensions, injuries and loss of form it's a hard postion to fill in an emergency.

Oh ye of short memory,

it wasn't SO long ago that we had FIVE injured central defenders (last season in Prem.?) Lundekvam & Co.

I'm not advocating that we sign three more CBs but with suspensions, injuries and loss of form it's a hard postion to fill in an emergency.

And yet we had a squad of 40 odd players.

It's about quality, not quantity. When I say quality, we're not just talking about skills. I include fitness and proneness to injury in that criteria too. That defence was a disaster waiting to happen. We failed to address the fact that Killer had a serious injury and sold Fitz Hall. Then we continued to rely on players like Dodd, Le Saux and Claus who had aged well beyond the pace of the Premier League.

Dodd, Telfer, Jakobsson, Lundekvam, Svensson, Higginbottham, Kenton, Nilsson, Le Saux, Bernard, Davenport, Van Damme. That's 12 defenders we had on the books in that season and not one of them was up to it. 8 half decent, fit defenders would have kept us up. Let's not make those mistakes again.

Surely no-one should have to plot to sign Seabourne, he never really made it in L1, so his CCC future looks a little gloomy.