Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

On 11/12/2020 at 15:45, hypochondriac said:

We expected him to leave last January, for definite. 

If Old Les had still been here, he would have done. But, I have a lot more confidence in the people running the club nowadays to keep both the manager and players happy. The Gaos have come in for a lot of stick but they seem to have made some great appointments. Has the club ever been better run than it is now?

Edited by Nordic Saint

• 2 weeks later...

Great news about Stuart Armstrong. I am a fan. He came in for some stick on here recently, which I disagreed with. Yes he makes the odd error but overall I think he brings a lot to the team and seems to fit Ralph's system perfectly. If I recall correctly, we paid about £8m for him. For a regular starter and a player of his calibre, that is a very good bit of business.

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Contract is up at the end of the season. I'd imagine he won't be renewed. Hasn't kicked on.

Yeah, loan with 6 months left on contract is telling

Gillingham boss even admits they want to make it permanent, seemingly this month, which is curious:

“He is very quick, direct, hungry, and will cause defences a lot of problems in our division.

“Our intention is to make this deal permanent which will give us more flexibility in the loan market over the next few weeks."

10 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not going to make it here, nowhere near good enough.

Probably correct but good that the club have found a placement for him to ensure he has a career ahead of him.They have done this with many of the younger players over the years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

A real shame that Tyreke Johnson hasn't made more of a mark here, there seemed to be so much promise from him at the beginning with some outstanding performances for the U23's. He has real pace. In the days when we were allowed to watch football matches at St Mary's - even the U23's - there always seemed to be a ripple of excitement when he was announced as part of the starting XI.

Sadly his cameo against The Gunners as a late sub a couple of years ago remains his only PL outing with the senior side. The fact that he has been out on loan ever since tells its own story. Ralph has had a look at him and decided he is not for us, pity as he still only 22. Ruthless profession these days.

Latest RH quotes on contracts don't sound hopeful.

Ings - sounds like a case of "well if I move I can get x so why should I accept your offer of y." As soon as the manager talks about the future without the player its never a good sign.

Bertrand - suspect he wants 3 yrs and we want to offer 2, shich is sensible.

It's so strange for us to be in such a good situation on the pitch, but to be so worried/nervous about us moving forwards.

I know there's a big financial impact from the pandemic, but if we can't put the money together to give Ings a contract when RH has come out today himself and said he wants to stay... then we are fucked with this current ownership.

12 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It's so strange for us to be in such a good situation on the pitch, but to be so worried/nervous about us moving forwards.

I know there's a big financial impact from the pandemic, but if we can't put the money together to give Ings a contract when RH has come out today himself and said he wants to stay... then we are fucked with this current ownership.

Its a strange one because Dan Sheldon says on Twitter that its not about the money and that Ings would be our highest paid player if he signs.

So if its not about the money, and Ings wants to stay then what else is there, aside from probably interest from others or wanting to know more about what Saints plans are? 

I mean, if I were Ings I woulf be wanting a.) Top money b.) Assurance there is money to sustain the teams performance c.) Assurance from Hasenhuttl that he isn't about to leave at the end of the season.

Ultimately its a big decision and his main real chance to move again in his prime. Sure its a very difficult decision for him.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Its a strange one because Dan Sheldon says on Twitter that its not about the money and that Ings would be our highest paid player if he signs.

So if its not about the money, and Ings wants to stay then what else is there, aside from probably interest from others or wanting to know more about what Saints plans are? 

I mean, if I were Ings I woulf be wanting a.) Top money b.) Assurance there is money to sustain the teams performance c.) Assurance from Hasenhuttl that he isn't about to leave at the end of the season.

Ultimately its a big decision and his main real chance to move again in his prime. Sure its a very difficult decision for him.

I'm almost certain its the assurances, just like you've mentioned. 

It seems he'd be happy to become our highest paid player (£90k-£100k p/w) but what is the point if he isn't given assurances based on the clubs future? This also ties in with Dan's comments so I can't see what else it'd be.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Latest RH quotes on contracts don't sound hopeful.

Ings - sounds like a case of "well if I move I can get x so why should I accept your offer of y." As soon as the manager talks about the future without the player its never a good sign.

Bertrand - suspect he wants 3 yrs and we want to offer 2, shich is sensible.

I don't see any issues with Bertrand wanting a 3 year deal when you consider we gave a 33 year old Shane Long a two year deal. 

27 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

I don't see any issues with Bertrand wanting a 3 year deal when you consider we gave a 33 year old Shane Long a two year deal. 

Perhaps we learned from our mistake and realised giving older players longer contracts wasn't such a good idea. Also, Bertrand is younger than Long so his wage demands are likely to be significantly higher meaning that a 3 year contract carries a much higher risk in the event that Bertrand loses form/sustains a major injury. 

I'd like him to stay, but we need to be disciplined and keep to our wage structure; it also sends a message to other players about our approach. 

2 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

There are a few issues with giving Bertrand a three year deal. He doesn't seem to be the player he was (although I thought he was better against Leicester than he has been for a while, apart from the unnecessary booking) and he's only going to get slower. Much though I like Shane it appears that two years may also have been over generous so we shouldn't repeat that mistake.

Mind you, I'd offer him a five year contract if he promised to learn how to take a quick, positive throw-in 😉

1 hour ago, itchen said:

There are a few issues with giving Bertrand a three year deal. He doesn't seem to be the player he was (although I thought he was better against Leicester than he has been for a while, apart from the unnecessary booking) and he's only going to get slower. Much though I like Shane it appears that two years may also have been over generous so we shouldn't repeat that mistake.

Mind you, I'd offer him a five year contract if he promised to learn how to take a quick, positive throw-in 😉

I seem to remember something being alluded to when Long signed his extension, that Ings talked up Long in a really positive way and that he was a chuffed that he was given a new deal. Call me cynical but it's not out of the realms of possibility that Ings had a major say in Long being offered a deal, in an attempt to keep him sweet.

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I seem to remember something being alluded to when Long signed his extension, that Ings talked up Long in a really positive way and that he was a chuffed that he was given a new deal. Call me cynical but it's not out of the realms of possibility that Ings had a major say in Long being offered a deal, in an attempt to keep him sweet.

Yes, agreed. We know Long was given an extended deal because Ings said he likes playing with him. And still Ings isn't putting pen to paper yet. No more sweeteners. We have to tighten our belt for next 5 years. Are you in or out, Danny boy?

It's getting worrying now, I reckon we are going to end up selling him in the summer and probably not for a huge amount considering the global pandemic and a year on his deal. 

Someone I reckon will be getting a bargain I reckon if there are takers. 

Let's hope the club has been scouting replacements for a while. 

Edited by tajjuk

Understandably INGS wants a contract that rewards his value to the team and that protects his future.

IMHO we are financially suffering like every other club and cannot match INGS wage demands/length of his contract.....again just my personal opinion but i will be surprised if we are even close to matching what he wants.

He is doing what is best for him and waiting to see if there is any interest from a club prepared to meet his pay day demands (and a signing on fee)

Normally for a 28 year old i would not say his age is a factor. However add his very unfortunate injuries into the mix and he may feel he has 1 last chance for a big pay packet.

Depressed this morning! 

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Understandably INGS wants a contract that rewards his value to the team and that protects his future.

IMHO we are financially suffering like every other club and cannot match INGS wage demands/length of his contract.....again just my personal opinion but i will be surprised if we are even close to matching what he wants.

He is doing what is best for him and waiting to see if there is any interest from a club prepared to meet his pay day demands (and a signing on fee)

Normally for a 28 year old i would not say his age is a factor. However add his very unfortunate injuries into the mix and he may feel he has 1 last chance for a big pay packet.

Depressed this morning! 

Well, it'd be very depressing if he ends up somewhere like Wet Sham, as then it'll just be about money. They'll be willing to pay him say well over £100k p/w for 3 or 4 years, whilst we'd probably do £80k for 3 years. To be honest though, if he really wants to move for the sake of money, then that's very depressing. He already earns in a week what most of us do in a year, so in a pandemic, if the club are willing to give him a massive payrise and years of security (and basically a lifetime of extremely comfortable living) and he's happy here, why wouldnt he sign?

Obviously if someone like the Manchester, Madrid, Milan teams come in then he'd be moving for not only money but a shot at titles too, but not sure how likely that may or may not be. 

18 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

From that podcast we learned from Bertie that he and the Club were not that far apart in negotiations and such details should be ironed out soon. It might be that he has to choose between a two year deal at higher p.a. money or a three year deal at lower p.a. money. He wants to end his career here so give him a three year deal and surely we can take a reasonable risk bearing in mind the vaccine roll-out and likely return of spectators soon. Where are we going to find a better right back in our situation even if there is one? No way will be find another KWP that was just luck.

On 13/07/2013 at 08:58, Over land and sea said:

• Jack Bycroft
  • Kingsley Latham
  • Kayne Ramsay
  • Séamas Keogh
  • Pascal Kpohomouh
  • Allan Tchaptchet
  • David Agbontohoma
  • Ryan Bertrand
  • Sam McQueen
  • Kameron Ledwidge
  • James Morris
  • Lucas Defise
  • Tom O'Connor
  • Sean Brennan
  • Jake Hesketh
  • Enzo Robise
  • Josh Sims
  • Theo Walcott (end of loan)

Scholars not on a professional contract

• Oliver Wright
  • Matthew Hall
  • Sam Bailey
  • Teddy Davey
  • Jack Turner
  • Marco Rus
  • Will Tizzard
  • Jayden Smith
  • Zuriel Otseh-Taiwan

Going to be really interesting to see who gets offered new deals from this lot.  There's a real mix of different academy ages within this group.

Pretty sure we will hear about some of them getting trials at other clubs soon.

48 minutes ago, Chez said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-transfer-news-ryan-bertrand-southampton-b900828.html Bertrand's agent doing his job here placing this story to give him leverage at the negotiating table.

This is deeply flawed. Why would Martin Semmens care about a Evening Standard story and let it influence him in a business decision? I doubt he is that naive. Pretty daft any agent who thinks a story in a paper influences anything. If it were common practice for agents to do that then clubs would be fully aware not to take any notice of it.

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Pretty daft any agent who thinks a story in a paper influences anything. If it were common practice for agents to do that then clubs would be fully aware not to take any notice of it.

"You would be mad to do that, because if you did, we'd know about it. Do you do that?"

On 20/01/2021 at 21:44, SuperSAINT said:

Going to be really interesting to see who gets offered new deals from this lot.  There's a real mix of different academy ages within this group.

Pretty sure we will hear about some of them getting trials at other clubs soon.

And you can probably add Lewis, Scott and Burnett to that list - we've not been told details of any contract extension but may well have been 1 year

On 23/01/2021 at 08:36, Matthew Le God said:

This is deeply flawed. Why would Martin Semmens care about a Evening Standard story and let it influence him in a business decision? I doubt he is that naive. Pretty daft any agent who thinks a story in a paper influences anything. If it were common practice for agents to do that then clubs would be fully aware not to take any notice of it.

Pretty sure there was an insider article a while back, and they were saying it absolutely does influence these decisions, as it ramps up potential hype / panic.

For someone who sees everything so black and white, and nitpicks consistently on other people, you are wrong an awful lot of the time....

8 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Pretty sure there was an insider article a while back, and they were saying it absolutely does influence these decisions, as it ramps up potential hype / panic.

For someone who sees everything so black and white, and nitpicks consistently on other people, you are wrong an awful lot of the time....

No where in my post did I say it did not happen. I just said it was daft.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No where in my post did I say it did not happen. I just said it was daft.

So when you said “it was deeply flawed, why would semmens let an evening standard article influence a business decision”

what you meant was CEOs do let evening standard articles influence business decisions, but in your opinion it’s daft to do that, so not actually deeply flawed then, yes?

Edited by Turkish

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So when you said “it was deeply flawed, why would semmens let an evening standard article influence a business decision”

what you meant was CEOs do let evening standard articles influence business decisions, but in your opinion it’s daft to do that, so not actually deeply flawed then, yes?

Missquoting me again. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Missquoting me again. 🙄

Not really. Either it’s “deeply flawed” or it isn’t. You said that, no one else. By saying it does go on, but you think it’s daft, it appears that you’ve changed your mind about it being “deeply flawed” and that agents do put articles in the media and it does influence things As you said it goes on but you think it’s daft. it’s okay to change your mind about things Matthew. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1