Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

4 hours ago, Chez said:

so Stephens (and McCarthy) haven't signed new contracts as reported earlier in the year by The Athletic then? What's going on there. Very strange.

Well it's weird isn't it, the Athletic reported it as a done thing but Saints literally never announced anything.

17 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Good - about time he started a bit more over the likes of Walcott.

strange how little game time he got until recently, especially considering our lack of pace up front. [I don't care what the Sun radar gun says, Armstrong ain't fast MLG. 😉]

Thanks as ever for keeping this thread up to date!

I’ve noticed that (as things stand with contract expiries), 6 months from now our entire list of goalkeepers will be Jack Bycroft and Adli Mohamed (17 year old scholar).

Unless we have a load of world class 15 year old goalkeepers about to break through, this seems a pretty big problem!

I don’t think any of our goalkeepers are good enough to be in the first team squad next season, but if we let all these contracts run out, we’ll need to buy about 6 keepers this summer (across age ranges).

I’m guessing this is the reason behind Alex McCarthy’s rumoured contract extension offer. I’m not sure he’d deserve one otherwise. 

28 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hasn’t he signed one of those “stealth extensions” (weirdly) where we haven’t announced it?

Yeah, he's another one. Around the same time as McCarthy. Dan Sheldon confirmed it in one of the live chat 'blogs' he does on The Athletic.

It's really bizarre why we haven't actually put it out there, I can't quite think of any reason at all why we'd want to hold that news back.

Unless we've made a massive error and are paying them both £150k per week on 7 year deals, so we don't want to tell anyone.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, he's another one. Around the same time as McCarthy. Dan Sheldon confirmed it in one of the live chat 'blogs' he does on The Athletic.

It's really bizarre why we haven't actually put it out there, I can't quite think of any reason at all why we'd want to hold that news back.

Unless we've made a massive error and are paying them both £150k per week on 7 year deals, so we don't want to tell anyone.

Maybe the story isn’t true….🤷🏻‍♂️

58 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Glad he's got a move, didn't want him stagnating in the U23's. He was put into the spot light quite a lot last year because we were so short, never looked quite ready but didn't let anyone down.

Hope he does ok there.

• Like 1

Can see the logic, and surely no coincidence that after Watts joins Ferry, Ramsay links up with Vokins. 

Makes it easier for those players to settle, easier for the club to monitor them and in SPL whilst standard overall isnt great it does give exposure to better players than L1/2 level in a handful of games.

That said, pretty clear that at the ages Ramsay, Vokins, Ferry etc are they won't be making it at Saints in the PL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Isn’t the number that actually do make it an absolutely tiny percentage across the prem? 

Yes, and as Ralph said the other day, most young players who successfully transition from Academy to PL make debuts at 16-18.

If you are 20 and not a massive standout in L2 then its odds against, although obviously still possible to have a great pro career.

On 03/01/2022 at 18:23, Saint_clark said:

Well it's weird isn't it, the Athletic reported it as a done thing but Saints literally never announced anything.

Some of these media sites think they are prophets who can double-guess the club on the next move.  

If they get it right, they can claim a  coup,  but look at some of the idiot predications they'e come up with that have no basis in fact.

At the start of the season McCarthy was first-choice keeper, but Forster has shown up well in recent games.

When EVERYONE  has gone  OOC, we have a new basis for negotiation .  

3 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Disappointing if we're letting him go, having spent £1m signing him from Birmingham at 16 - allegedly from under the noses of lots of PL clubs.

Saints haven't spent that. It was £300k, rising to £1m. If he leaves he won't ever meet the conditions for the fee to reach £1m as they are likely to be for 1st team related achievements. 

On 17/01/2022 at 21:03, Matthew Le God said:

Saints haven't spent that. It was £300k, rising to £1m. If he leaves he won't ever meet the conditions for the fee to reach £1m as they are likely to be for 1st team related achievements. 

Presumably Bristol City would be paying something to Saints as well..?

On 13/01/2022 at 10:45, SuperSAINT said:

Isn’t the number that actually do make it an absolutely tiny percentage across the prem? 

There are a number of Prem. clubs who don't even have one of their own Youth players in their squad,  let alone as a regular starter.

The biggest problem - at this level - is that any good youngster nearing the first team is often "understudying" an established / international player,

and when they reach a certain age must choose to move to get regular gametime.   Everyone wants to play,  not sit on the bench forever.

The " big money " clubs continue to buy established names (often from abroad) and frequently ignore their own young talents.

Players like; McQueen, Targett,  Vokins  would have needed to shown up - better than Ryan Bertrand did for us - in his prime. 

Prowsey has been around the first team since 2012, and so other midfielders in his generation;  Reed, Hesketh, Slattery  never got a  chance 

of regular game time (nor could they take free-kicks as JWP does).. and now Jack Stephens is the only other ex-Academy player in the squad. 

"....Many are called..but few are chosen."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure you can call Stephens an academy boy tbh, he was already playing regularly for Plymouth when we signed him.

Stephens played for Southampton's academy teams at under 18 and under 21 level (IIRC it was before it changed to under 23s). So that makes him an academy product of both clubs.

On 22/01/2022 at 09:57, david in sweden said:

of regular game time (nor could they take free-kicks as JWP does).. and now Jack Stephens is the only other ex-Academy player in the squad

Apart from Will Smallbone, Yan Valery, Nathan Tella, Harry Lewis and of course Theo Walcott. Of those Jack Stephens has the least claim to be an Academy graduate but technically he did join our Academy at 17 having already played a handful of League One games (5) for Plymouth. Smallbone is a "true" Academy graduate having joined when he was 8 years old, the same as JWP.  The others joined at later ages and from other clubs but they are still academy boys. I think some people may be confused by Smallbone because he represents Ireland, but he is a "local" lad (born in Basingstoke). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Apart from Will Smallbone, Yan Valery, Nathan Tella, Harry Lewis and of course Theo Walcott. Of those Jack Stephens has the least claim to be an Academy graduate but technically he did join our Academy at 17 having already played a handful of League One games (5) for Plymouth. Smallbone is a "true" Academy graduate having joined when he was 8 years old, the same as JWP.  The others joined at later ages and from other clubs but they are still academy boys. I think some people may be confused by Smallbone because he represents Ireland, but he is a "local" lad (born in Basingstoke). 

Yes - all the points you make are correct Vectis.   Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough that I was referring to " Prowsey's generation " in particular, 

and the observation that the others  I mentioned had  " fallen by the wayside ".  Most of them had the talent at one stage, but never made the grade

because of  various factors they had no control over.      It really is the luck of the draw.        Does the current manager ....see you in "that role ". 

Harrison Reed never made it past other MF players at the time,  and  even Prowsey was left on the bench whilst Mark Hughes was in charge (!)

With new young talents getting game time whilst still in their teens, those players who are already in their early / mid 20's and not being picked might

just as well  move on and try their luck elsewhere.  Theo Walcott was one of the first  Academy successes back in '06, but is now basically a makeweight now.

Looking at the short list you wrote (above) ... I can (perhaps) see one... (maybe two of them) making the grade -  at Prem. level.   (injuries permitting)

Looking at the contracts up in the summer, it looks like this will be a good chance to shift the dead wood.  I wonder if that factored in to the timing for the club's purchase, seems a perfect time to buy us.

Edited by Ashby Saint
Poor grammar.

15 minutes ago, Ashby Saint said:

Looking at the contracts up in the summer, it looks like this will be a good chance to shift the dead wood.  I wonder if that factored in to the timing for the club's purchase, seems a perfect time to buy us.

Unlikely that buyers were waiting on the wings for Shane & Fraser’s contracts to be up before purchasing us.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ashby Saint said:

This is definitely the summer we've all been waiting for where all the shite signings are finally gone, all their inflated wages freed up for Ralph to at last put together a squad he can call his own. Next season and the season after will be the true test of all the work Ralph has done and all the faith that's been shown in him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

This is definitely the summer we've all been waiting for where all the shite signings are finally gone, all their inflated wages freed up for Ralph to at last put together a squad he can call his own. Next season and the season after will be the true test of all the work Ralph has done and all the faith that's been shown in him. 

But they weren’t shite until we signed them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

We need to sign Salisu to a new deal soon to maximise what we get for him when he goes. Also to keep him for another season after this one. Can't see us selling him with only one year left on his contract, ideally want a mammoth offer to let him go.

Tadic in 2018 was the last first 11 player we sold with more than one year left.