Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

Two year extension for Jack Rose apparently, not sure why we’ve got 8 professional goalkeepers on the books currently though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One for each of our goalkeeping coaches.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Southampton FCVerified account @SouthamptonFC 3m3 minutes agoMore

#SaintsFC can confirm that goalkeeper Stuart Taylor will leave the club at the end of his contract this summer

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-06-28/stuart-taylor-southampton-football-club-end-of-contract

After a quiet start to summer, it appears we are now starting to trim the fat in the squad and start bringing in new players. A long way to go yet but positive signs from Hughes and co.

• 2 weeks later...
Didnt we sign a highly rated youngster from Dundee last year

Whatever happened to him?

Kieran Freeman? Has had terrible luck with injuries since joining but is a highly-rated right back

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, OP updated.

The OS squad profiles are still way out of date - it's 2 to 3 months since we announced the retained list and the U23 and U18 profiles still contain the players we released and none of the new intake of scholars. Harry Reed and Harry Lewis are still missing completely. Oh and we have invented a new chronology for numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6...

Edit: First Team profiles updated with new kit, Harry Reed added and more traditional numbering system reintroduced. U23/U18 still out of date and Lewis still missing.

Edited by Over land and sea

• 2 weeks later...
Am I right in understanding we now have 30 players who aren’t under 21 so 5 won’t make the first team squad?

When do we have to confirm our 25 man squad?

Thanks

MLG will confirm no doubt, but at a glance we have 28 over 21. So need to send two out on loan, and the likely candidates are Forster, Rose, McQueen, Gallagher and Hesketh. I’d keep McQueen and Gallagher of those five, but it may be Gallagher now has too much competition in which case I’d keep Hesketh. Lewis as third keeper doesn’t use up a space but we’ll see.

I guess we announce the squad after the European transfer window closes.

If Jake Flannigan is still with the club then we have 30 over 21s. I say that because Jake was on a monthly contract but was removed earlier this week from the first team profiles. So we need to omit 4 or 5 players. I am not sure when we have to submit but I think it’s 1 September. So who is omitted will be influenced by who we’re able to send out on loan between now and then. I’d add Barnes to the list of those likely to be on the omitted list - perhaps Barnes, Flannigan, Forster, Hesketh and one other.

0046DA57-8299-47D6-AE32-83C278D64BA9.jpgFor those interested in squad numbers, today’s programme (as I still prefer to call it!) confirms some late changes to this season’s numbers (also confirmed in the Club Shop):

12 Sam McQueen

15 Sam Gallagher

19 Harry Reed

Also confirmed 41 Harry Lewis. Otherwise the first team numbers are as per the OS squad listings. Flannigan not listed

MLG will confirm no doubt, but at a glance we have 28 over 21. So need to send two out on loan, and the likely candidates are Forster, Rose, McQueen, Gallagher and Hesketh. I’d keep McQueen and Gallagher of those five, but it may be Gallagher now has too much competition in which case I’d keep Hesketh. Lewis as third keeper doesn’t use up a space but we’ll see.

I guess we announce the squad after the European transfer window closes.

I think we are still trying to move Forster out on loan.

And it also make sense for McQueen to go on loan to get games if he has Bertrand and Targett in front of him at left back.

I would say Hesketh and Sims could also do with games so they could well go on loan as well.

Personally I think Long will be leaving for Scotland or the Championship and Gallagher will stay as our 3rd/4th choice striker. I see Gabbiadini as more of a second striker / wide forward but that is another discussion.

Same with Davis - off to Scotland or the Championship.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Cedric ends up leaving for Europe before the end of the month.

No Flannigan in the official premier league squad numbers either (only a few Academy changes apart from as mentioned above), so wonder if he left at end of July

Scrap that, on the bench for the U23s tonight.

Thanks, OP updated.

The OS squad profiles are still way out of date - it's 2 to 3 months since we announced the retained list and the U23 and U18 profiles still contain the players we released and none of the new intake of scholars. Harry Reed and Harry Lewis are still missing completely. Oh and we have invented a new chronology for numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6...

Edit: First Team profiles updated with new kit, Harry Reed added and more traditional numbering system reintroduced. U23/U18 still out of date and Lewis still missing.

U23 and U18 profiles updated belatedly. Harry Lewis excluded from 1st team and U23s

• 2 weeks later...

Could we please have an indication on the list at the start of this thread of the players who aren’t under 21, but qualify as under 23 (i.e. 21 and 22 year olds at whenever the cutoff date is)?

I’m guessing at least 3 of Barnes, Hesketh, Flannigan and Rose won’t make the 25 man senior squad this season, but qualify as U23 so won’t be left out in the cold (like Forster will be if he doesn’t make the 25). Thanks.

Those who qualify for the U23s are

All the U21s plus the following

Gunn

Bednarek

Hojbjerg

Targett

Gallagher

Rose

Barnes

I’ve not included anyone on loan. You can add Seager, Hesketh, Flannigan, Reed and McQueen if you were to do so.

Following loan of McQueen, Hesketh and Flannigan, we now have 26 over 21 players competing for the 25 man squad for the first half of the season. Unless there is a late surprise, the first 23 players look set and 2 from the following 3 will also be included:

Fraser Forster

Jack Rose

Marcus Barnes

Additional loans announced straight after I posted!

Those who qualify for the U23s are

All the U21s plus the following

Gunn

Bednarek

Hojbjerg

Targett

Gallagher

Rose

Barnes

I’ve not included anyone on loan. You can add Seager, Hesketh, Flannigan, Reed and McQueen if you were to do so.

Following loan of McQueen, Hesketh and Flannigan, we now have 26 over 21 players competing for the 25 man squad for the first half of the season. Unless there is a late surprise, the first 23 players look set and 2 from the following 3 will also be included:

Fraser Forster

Jack Rose

Marcus Barnes

Thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...

Premier League Squad List 2018/19 is hyorrr: https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/premierleague/document/2018/09/03/517a6a46-4b7b-4c21-b172-fef438d72359/Premier-League-Squad-Lists-September-2018.pdf

and shows our 25 man squad as:

1 Cedric

2 Stuart Armstrong

3 Charlie Austin

4 Jan Bednarek

5 Ryan Bertrand

6 Steven Davis

7 Mohamed El Younoussi

8 Fraser Forster

9 Manolo Gabbiadini

10 Sam Gallagher

11 Angus Gunn

12 Wesley Hoedt

13 Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

14 Danny Ings

15 Mario Lemina

16 Shane Long

17 Alex McCarthy

18 Nathan Redmond

19 Jack Rose

20 Jack Stephens

21 Matt Targett

22 Jannik Vestergaard

23 Oriol Romeu

24 James Ward-Prowse

25 Maya Yoshida

So no Marcus Barnes, who also isn't listed in the 51 U21s listed either.

Premier League Squad List 2018/19 is hyorrr: https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/premierleague/document/2018/09/03/517a6a46-4b7b-4c21-b172-fef438d72359/Premier-League-Squad-Lists-September-2018.pdf

and shows our 25 man squad as:

1 Cedric

2 Stuart Armstrong

3 Charlie Austin

4 Jan Bednarek

5 Ryan Bertrand

6 Steven Davis

7 Mohamed El Younoussi

8 Fraser Forster

9 Manolo Gabbiadini

10 Sam Gallagher

11 Angus Gunn

12 Wesley Hoedt

13 Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

14 Danny Ings

15 Mario Lemina

16 Shane Long

17 Alex McCarthy

18 Nathan Redmond

19 Jack Rose

20 Jack Stephens

21 Matt Targett

22 Jannik Vestergaard

23 Oriol Romeu

24 James Ward-Prowse

25 Maya Yoshida

So no Marcus Barnes, who also isn't listed in the 51 U21s listed either.

4 keepers? Is that normal?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...