January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

This really, its laughable the defence he gets when you dare to question him, no doubting what he has achieved and what he has done for us but realistically he doesnt fit for us upfront. We need someone willing to close down from the front, to be able to turn and run if required making movements in and around the oppo back four. Rickie doesnt really offer that. Yes he is a top target man but once he brings players in we then lose him as that goalscorer we need.

Again the chances are he can do a job in one of the attacking three positions but not as our lone striker option.

We needed a replacement to ossie and didnt get it

Your laughable mate. You clearly haven't a clue.

Did it look like he didn't fit in today?

Stats don't lie.

This really, its laughable the defence he gets when you dare to question him, no doubting what he has achieved and what he has done for us but realistically he doesnt fit for us upfront. We need someone willing to close down from the front, to be able to turn and run if required making movements in and around the oppo back four. Rickie doesnt really offer that. Yes he is a top target man but once he brings players in we then lose him as that goalscorer we need.

Again the chances are he can do a job in one of the attacking three positions but not as our lone striker option.

I agree he can't do it on his own that's not his game in this kind of setup. Although I think he is far too important to our full game to not play. If we are going to pick holes I still think we need someone more clinical than Jay. A lot of very good balls and easy chances come his way yet he doesn't finish most. Hopefully he will keep getting better and with Sam as a super sub till he or another playmaker can rival Lamberts assists and passing game to inherit the spot.

The problem you have is you only see one way of playing a lone striker... which probably indicates you have never played football at any decent level.

lambert and Gallagher can both play the role but in different ways; and we get results with both options.

Osvaldo did nothing as a lone striker so 'closing down the defence' was not in his repertoire.

The problem you have is you only see one way of playing a lone striker... which probably indicates you have never played football at any decent level.

lambert and Gallagher can both play the role but in different ways; and we get results with both options.

Osvaldo did nothing as a lone striker so 'closing down the defence' was not in his repertoire.

You really are an arrogant ****, and I have both played and coached at decent levels, in fact I have previously done some coaching at a now PL club. In fact the reason I dont have a ST this year is because Im back playing after injury.

Im not saying Rickie is a poor lone striker, Im saying he tends not to fit in the system that Poch plays, dont get me wrong I hear he played exceptionally well second half, but Im not going to comment either way until Ive seen the game other then I hope that he is getting to his best, he has changed his game to fit our system or MoPo has tweaked us to fit Rick.

Dont get me wrong, this is just my opinion, not asking you to agree, I dont care if you do or do not as this is a forum. Im just getting ****ed off with the insults as I dare talk about our hero in such a way without bothering to understand what Im trying to say.

Infact the fact you completely miss my point, or really anyone that writes anything remotely intelligent from a footballing POV probably idicates that your opening paragraph is pretty ironic.

Edited by Smirking_Saint

I hear he played exceptionally well second half, but Im not going to comment either way until Ive seen the game other then I hope that he is getting to his best, he has changed his game to fit our system or MoPo has tweaked us to fit Rick.

It was the latter smirks, Ponch had Lambert drop back into a number 10 type situation with Jrod up top and Lallana+Davi(e)s either side. For the record I've always thought of you as a top,top player. I always try to sign you in FM

It was the latter smirks, Ponch had Lambert drop back into a number 10 type situation with Jrod up top and Lallana+Davi(e)s either side. For the record I've always thought of you as a top,top player. I always try to sign you in FM

Cheers bear, love you too poppet

Plus always thought Rickie would be suited to that role, I swear Ive mentioned it before ?......

wtf @ arsenal by the way?

They signed Kim Kalsltrom to cover injuries, but discovered he himself was injured during the medical - yet still signed him

They've now announced that he's out for 6-8 weeks. Seriously, what the actual ****?

Christ, I thought that only happened to us.

Thank you I rest my case. This chap is always at it. I think he has him self as a jose marinio. Probably the lad that was made to go in goal every lunch break and he sat there stuffing his face with his cheese sandwiches and rocky bar.

Clearly an armchair coach who couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Thank you I rest my case. This chap is always at it. I think he has him self as a jose marinio. Probably the lad that was made to go in goal every lunch break and he sat there stuffing his face with his cheese sandwiches and rocky bar.

You are exactly correct, I bow to your obvious intelligence and vast footballing knowledge

Now where are my sandwiches ?

:lol:

Yes we would all have felt so much better for having spent money on someone who turns out to be no better than what we have in the Academy.

Its the "I want" generation

These are the kids that were sat in the shopping trolly at the check out screaming "I want (whichever sweet was closest to the check out)"

it still appears that they will not shut the f*ck up until they get it, then as soon as they have it throw it away for the next tasty morsel or toy.

That's not fair. I'm the same generation and I just want them to shut the **** up about signings!

It's always the same, every club too. Should have signed a, b or c. Should have signed anyone, should have spent more. If you do sign someone, it should have been someone else instead or as well.

Still remember the hard time fuller got, mainly because of the fee rather than skate connection. 90k yet he'd have been better received if we'd paid 2m. It's madness.

Now or we don't know if we have money to spend, loaned a striker out on deadline day so had hours and no income to replace him, and no real fear of relegation anyway. Is it good business to panic and sign anyone? I get tired hearing people who have no insight into the workings of the club give simplistic advice to people that work in football every day. Grow up.

Again. Why does someone have to grow up for hoping the club sign someone in a designated transfer window?

I don't get the "it would only be a desperate signing" fad on here???

Were you saying it was desperate that we tried to get coutinho last January?

Again. Why does someone have to grow up for hoping the club sign someone in a designated transfer window?

I don't get the "it would only be a desperate signing" fad on here???

Were you saying it was desperate that we tried to get coutinho last January?

He was available last window. Not sure if anyone of equal quality was available via their club this window?

Not sure what difference a new signing would make now to us.

I´m sure that the club looked for possible signings but either found no player that would fit at the moment or that a player that might have fit in wasn´t available.

Cant say that I want any of those player that other clubs signed actually. (Within reach so Mata isn´t one of those of course)

In our position now it would´ve made no sense for the club taking in for example Ince on loan for 6 months. Would have stopped our own young players progression and wouldn´t have any impact on our season imo.

Those that say we don't need anyone in surely we're lacking strikers? This is the one year we could really push for Europe and we're relying on Gallagher bless him as back up.

Some of you remind me of average Joe who's happy with his average job, car, house.

Those that say we don't need anyone in surely we're lacking strikers? This is the one year we could really push for Europe and we're relying on Gallagher bless him as back up.

Some of you remind me of average Joe who's happy with his average job, car, house.

We don't need anyone in because we're comfortably in 9th position and our only real competition is trying to beat Newcastle and Man Utd for 7th. That might give us a shot at a European competition Poch is apparently not interested in (although I am personally).

No one is disputing we are weaker without Osvaldo but we can cope reasonably well without him. We would all LIKE another striker but clearly the right deal wasn't available.

Delldays mentioned Coutinho. Well we didn't sign him did we. Either he wanted more money or a move to a bigger club or his old club wanted a bigger fee. I'm sure we could have signed him if we really tried, offered £30m and £100k a week for him. THAT would have been an act of desperation.

That's not fair. I'm the same generation and I just want them to shut the **** up about signings!

It's always the same, every club too. Should have signed a, b or c. Should have signed anyone, should have spent more. If you do sign someone, it should have been someone else instead or as well.

Still remember the hard time fuller got, mainly because of the fee rather than skate connection. 90k yet he'd have been better received if we'd paid 2m. It's madness.

Now or we don't know if we have money to spend, loaned a striker out on deadline day so had hours and no income to replace him, and no real fear of relegation anyway. Is it good business to panic and sign anyone? I get tired hearing people who have no insight into the workings of the club give simplistic advice to people that work in football every day. Grow up.

agree totally. You just can't please some people. If you make a good deal ...and get someone for a lower fee, people automatically think he's no good.

If you pay a lot...they say he's a waste of money if he doesn't score ine very match. Look at the stick Jay Rod got in the first half of last season. As soon as MP gave him a chance he showed up well and is still improving.

Over the years some of the very best players we've signed were bought for around £1 million - -or less ! Consider the opinions caste out when we paid £1 million for 28 y.o. Rickie Lambert.

then there was the suggestion that he wouldn't cut it at Championship level.....and then the same criticism when we got back to the Prem. He 's past it and won't be any good.

Not a bad free kick on Saturday, though ! Need we remind them (again) of his goal tally last season? He has already got more goals than some " big name" Prem. players who cost 10 times his fee.

Sadly, the majority of players who cost us £2 -3 million or more (in those days) were a great disappointment.

Time (and the value of money) has changed a lot in recent seasons, but IMO players like Lovren and Jay Rod look pretty good value for their fees in today's market - don't they?

Edited by david in sweden