The weekend riding thread.

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Never had a problem with with a sore arse - well up to three hours is fine anyway!  My biggest issue has been protecting my dodgy knees.  I think / hope I've cracked it now with a spacing of 79cm from the centre of the bottom brcket to the top of the seat.  Been set up like that for two weeks now on the summer and winter bikes (winter bike has been in demand throughout July!) and so far so good!

I'm the same, set it up 'correctly' then drop the saddle by an inch.

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Never had a problem with with a sore arse - well up to three hours is fine anyway!  My biggest issue has been protecting my dodgy knees.  I think / hope I've cracked it now with a spacing of 79cm from the centre of the bottom brcket to the top of the seat.  Been set up like that for two weeks now on the summer and winter bikes (winter bike has been in demand throughout July!) and so far so good!

The Merckx is set up perfectly but the winter Bianchi is a different geometry, more sportive than racing snake, plus the seat post is stuck tight. I may invest in a new winter frame and just strip all the components off the existing one.

For saddles I've gone from a Fizik Alinate to a PRO Falcon. Getting it in the ideal position has been a challenge and going out to do a century without getting it dialled in was, literally, a pain in the arse.

Did a faster 100km yesterday which meant more time in the drops, which the shoulder complains about, and it felt far more comfortable. Riding on the tops, to alleviate pressure on the shoulder meant too much pressure on my sit bones and with the saddle not in the right position, that meant trouble. 

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, View From The Top said:

This hot weather is too much for me. Had to bail out at 80km yesterday as I was melting, as was the road, literally. 

My northern European constitution isn't built for anything above the mid-20s C.

Was planning on 50K ride yesterday but never materialised. Went in garage and did part of 2014 TdF stage 1 on Rouvy up and over Kidstones but baled after 23. The fan wasn't strong enough. Riding atm is a bit hit and miss. The weeks like last week when my wife has her chemo are a bit awkward to get out and  the heat this week hasn't helped either.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this - awesome thread. I'm going out later this afternoon for an hour or so to get the calves working again (been too busy at work laterly and couldn't be arsed). I'm involved in organising a UCI accredited bike event in Pamerston North in January. Called the Gravel and Tar (combination of road and off-road unpaved racing but not cross-country mountain biking). Apparently this is  or could be the next big thing in bike racing. We had some international riders last year but this year will probably be different the way things are going. A lot of work to organise but definitely worth it. 

On 29/08/2020 at 03:21, Jeremy said:

Just found this - awesome thread. I'm going out later this afternoon for an hour or so to get the calves working again (been too busy at work laterly and couldn't be arsed). I'm involved in organising a UCI accredited bike event in Pamerston North in January. Called the Gravel and Tar (combination of road and off-road unpaved racing but not cross-country mountain biking). Apparently this is  or could be the next big thing in bike racing. We had some international riders last year but this year will probably be different the way things are going. A lot of work to organise but definitely worth it. 

If you go near Fielding, steer clear of my SiL's house on Halcombe Road.

On 29/08/2020 at 03:21, Jeremy said:

It'll never catch on ;)

https://www.strade-bianche.it/en/

• 1 month later...

Went for a ride today up some climbs I hadn't done before. Got home and found that the steepest climb is a STRAVA segment called the Death Wall ! Mind you, part of the descent was a straight road nearly 1.5Km long, downhill all the way 🙂

Edited by badgerx16
21 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Went for a ride today up some climbs I hadn't done before. Got home and found that the steepest climb is a STRAVA segment called the Death Wall ! Mind you, part of the descent was a straight road nearly 1.5Km long, downhill all the way 🙂

You on Strava?

14 minutes ago, View From The Top said:
l1dUG0esofnzdJjZnEKHaORJCs6E35OWP8Hgbl-yoEcAcYoJ6KZB5c8gY_I4TYzPyMRWE4DpunOM_GcHY1NQQfSFRDr2TuHPk7Lis0VYWsIFVIFhY-PYmiqIS0YpKW_j8lUNWm4oqCYl4o73y549DQ09jm_4jYXxwizXVjfKqGfsSpioGhEyKAQWwrrdgihYZ1e8N0zeDBLXIerHzCku5lJzgTQYEJAfEVASW1bCUpY8ZfOosz88wOStdz1bGk471WmnqQQOKnatWw9UhQVRXFLur_8lmls9h0EVS16Zy1OSnui1hUd_eYEYIlPtjoCAzNdZ8M4WXuoKs66UKcJPVa38xd14qI6KreyqGUBwdR06o8boP1cwCFAQ7-tGB79qiLg_vNwzdGOfGucrT7oor_V27FKKEetYYatlSf0rjwdTcrYzQbYYyC5oGa12qwF_K539FmARELSJBn2rT_wmiI4AeS8xv_vGaMFVcCCiJuMCI66b4RAcE4coZUsC6jMTAX9X5oK5T_7lWiSrvbKitwRfUeWL0vxtyw81BH00J4FGShWeykI12PIhFwVQoKvxd9-5Kvxe06aIjadf-FwPquQHlB1sHsPrUEQmBCLUWfUl18SMFT0-y9s-92RgKWCy6foyk8gmkFv6WQfqhRi3qEYpZD9uXpI-zYabC7HW7nW1AB-HINBVzEPFqctVKA=w353-h625-no?authuser=0

Derbyshire.

Always a tough day out.

Nobody forces you. 😉

There is a local road to me that leads up towards the Trough of Bowland, and goes through Abbeystead, a classic single road village - in one side and out the other. The only issue is that it sits in a valley, and each way is 20%.

The road I went up on Friday is little more than a tarmac'd farm track, so doesn't even qualify for signs.

Edited by badgerx16
1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Nobody forces you. 😉

There is a local road to me that leads up towards the Trough of Bowland, and goes through Abbeystead, a classic single road village - in one side and out the other. The only issue is that it sits in a valley, and each way is 20%.

The road I went up on Friday is little more than a tarmac'd farm track, so doesn't even qualify for signs.

Winksworth is like that. Every way in/out is at least 20%. We went around the head of the valley to avoid it!

The 25% didn't even flash up on my Garmin as a climb, nor did a 15%er 20 miles later that broke one of the lads I ride with.

We take it in times to do the routes and this was my turn. I want hilly without being OTT to keep my 2 "larger" mates happy. They are both confirmed hill dodgers.

It was the cold and rain that did it for me. It started drizzling at 30miles and by 80miles I had frozen hands, I didn't have my "good" gloves on as no rain was forecast. 

That's the summer bike washed and lubed and ready for the turbo. Winter hack from today onwards.

Edited by View From The Top
25 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

Winksworth is like that. Every way in/out is at least 20%. We went around the head of the valley to avoid it!

The 25% didn't even flash up on my Garmin as a climb, nor did a 15%er 20 miles later that broke one of the lads I ride with.

We take it in times to do the routes and this was my turn. I want hilly without being OTT to keep my 2 "larger" mates happy. They are both confirmed high dodgers.

It was the cold and rain that did it for me. It started drizzling at 30miles and by 80miles I had frozen hands, I didn't have my "good" gloves on as no rain was forecast. 

That's the summer bike washed and lubed and ready for the turbo. Winter hack from today onwards.

Keep safe.

On 22/10/2020 at 13:23, badgerx16 said:

The Giro is  going over the Stelvio today, despite the pass being officially closed. 🤥

It was only closed because the tour was going over it.

I rode it last year. Up from Bormio, down to Prato, round into Switzerland, up from Santa Maria and then back down to Prato and finishing up Cancanno. 

One of the best days on a bike ever.

14 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Fantastic win for TGH at the Giro. 5 Brit to win a Grand Tour. Like many not a huge fan of Ineos Grenadier, but Tao and Rohan Dennis along with Ganna totally lit up this race.

Dennis was MOTM!

Insane riding in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...