Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Think he is on the move then. Doesn’t really scream ‘we are going to offer him a bumper new deal’. For £8m probably a good buy but if Ralph has his eyes on another player then probably helps towards that plus the PEH money (RB should already have been partially budgeted for plus what they saved on Cedric’s wages). Burnley rumoured to another interested party, wonder who the other two are? WBA maybe if they’ve seen a lot of him, Leeds or Palace having a freshen up of their midfield. Brighton might be another option although a bit too young and good injury record. 

Personally I'd like to keep him and see him given a chance, but also still buy another centre-mid because I think for the system and intensity we play, we need 4, especially as Romeu is a little limited in the role as he's not as dynamic as JWP or Hojberg. 

But he probably wants assurances of football. 

And he'd probably get that at Fulham. 

Also yeh would not be surprised if Bielsa liked the look of him, he'd fit his mould quite well I think. 

Edited by tajjuk

38 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Depends what they mean by filling Pierres slot. He was first choice up until recently - does Ralph see him as a starter alongside JWP?

Also if I had to guess the 4 sides I'd say;

Fulham

Leeds

Villa

Brighton

I'd reckon he will want guaranteed first team minutes. Therefore Fulham will probably be a better option for him than us, whatever we might promise him. 

It will be a shame as I've always rated him. He's a busy little metronome of a player. The purchase of Clasie really messed up his development, shunting him further down the pecking order. 

23 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yes, I watched the game as well and 100% agree with your analysis. Very much the player we remember; slow to think and react, risk averse with the ball and not much creativity. Romeu is twice the player and Harrison is not the cheap option to replace him.

Best all round if he stays at Fulham and we get him off the books.

I saw it in exactly the same way. Reminds me a lot of Schneiderlin. Most of his passes were backwards. No real penetrating passes for me. I think Ralph needs players who move it forward at pace. 8 million. Take it in my view.

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Thanks for the cash, I had forgotten he was still on our books. Good luck to him, he was once thought to be the new Paul Scholes, perhaps this is his chance

That was a lazy comparison some people made because he is short and has similar hair colour.

Edited by Matthew Le God

£8m would be good money for an academy player, out on loan for the last three years, who doesn't fit Ralph's 4-2-2-2 system. Reed's a good DM - more Matic than Scholes. Hope he does well for Fulham next season but I can see them going straight back down.

A couple of writers on The Athletic reckon we should be bringing Reed back and pairing him with JWP in midfield rather than spending big.

They also think we should go for Daka immediately if we can afford him at any point.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed
Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Didn't Big Les say he would be the best player to come through the academy? Or did I dream that? Or was it just because his surname is Reed?

Yeah it was Les who said that, and I believe it was also Les who likened him to Paul Scholes.

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Didn't Big Les say he would be the best player to come through the academy? Or did I dream that? Or was it just because his surname is Reed?

He did. Josh Sims was a close second in his mind. He also loved Jake Hesketh. Bless. 

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Saint said:

I must admit that I thought at one time that Jake Hesketh, alomg with Alfie Jones would be the next big thing. Shows howmuch I know!

I thought this aswell.  

I even thought Clasie would be become a good player for us after his first season.

On 06/08/2020 at 14:32, Saint_clark said:

Depends what they mean by filling Pierres slot. He was first choice up until recently - does Ralph see him as a starter alongside JWP?

Fulham

Leeds

Villa

Brighton

Palace according to the Beeb!

14 minutes ago, saintquin said:

Palace according to the Beeb!

The BBC's gossip roundup links to a dodgy Football insider article saying Palace are competing with Fulham for Reed. Which isn't the same as the BBC saying it.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-crystal-palace-plot-move-to-sign-southampton-25-yr-old-hasenhuttl-will-let-go/

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The BBC has not said that. The BBC's gossip roundup links to a dodgy Football insider article saying Palace are competing with Fulham for Reed. Which isn't the same as the BBC saying it.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-crystal-palace-plot-move-to-sign-southampton-25-yr-old-hasenhuttl-will-let-go/

😂

On 06/08/2020 at 14:32, Saint_clark said:

Fulham

Leeds

Villa

Brighton

Seems Fulham and Palace are the interested parties. That being said, if Brighton were to show an interest they'd be front runners. His family still live in Worthing and he is frequently back in town.

He'd be mad to sign for anyone other than Fulham.  He's a first teamer, highly regarded by the club and fans and fits their system well.  They offer his best chance of establishing himself as a premier League player for the years to come

8 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

He'd be mad to sign for anyone other than Fulham.  He's a first teamer, highly regarded by the club and fans and fits their system well.  They offer his best chance of establishing himself as a premier League player for the years to come

Agreed, he has established himself well but I feel Fulham will drop at the first time of asking again. Dale Stephens has less than a year left on his contract and given his age Reed may be seen as an ideal successor.

Edited by Saint Scott

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

The BBC's gossip roundup links to a dodgy Football insider article saying Palace are competing with Fulham for Reed. Which isn't the same as the BBC saying it.

Well what I read on the Beeb didn't say they were quoting! 

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Well if he isn't staying here it seems a few clubs interested in him so might bump the price up a touch.

I reckon we'll start to hear a lot more in the next week or two, they're due back for training in about 14 days I think! That's when stuff will start moving I guess...

Fulham remain in talks over a deal to bring midfielder Harrison Reed to the club on a permanent basis. A deal with Southampton is expected to be straightforward given the Cottagers had an £8million option to buy in last season's loan deal, leaving personal terms as the biggest challenge. The Saints would be happy to keep 25-year-old on their books but cannot provide the same assurances over first-team game time and do not want to stand in his way if it is on offer elsewhere.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

What are we paying him then for personal terms to be the biggest challenge? 😵

Might not be a case of what Saints are currently paying him, but what Saints would pay him if he stayed (as he would require a new contract) vs what Fulham would pay him if he left.

Edited by Matthew Le God

There's nothing stopping us from offering him a deal, and then allowing him to speak to Fulham as per the agreed fee.

I suspect that's what we've done and he's probably weighing up his options IMO. If I was him, I'd go to Fulham. He's a main starter there and could be seen as a key player in the PL for a side just promoted. He'd still be on the side lines here initially and he would have to work himself in. I think he's played that role for long enough and he deserves his break as a guaranteed starter in a team.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

What are we paying him then for personal terms to be the biggest challenge? 😵

Doesn't mean we're paying a lot, but there isn't much of a challenge for Fulham to sign him now. Offer him £25k per week and a guaranteed first team place and he'll sign for them I'd imagine. 

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Doesn't mean we're paying a lot, but there isn't much of a challenge for Fulham to sign him now. Offer him £25k per week and a guaranteed first team place and he'll sign for them I'd imagine. 

Just had a look on FM20..we are paying him 28k Euro per week, unless the researcher for that game isn't that reliable. So that would be a pay cut...just.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Just had a look on FM20..we are paying him 28k Euro per week, unless the researcher for that game isn't that reliable. So that would be a pay cut...just.

Now who would the researcher for that game be again ?

i am sure he wouldn’t guess the figures

£10m for a newly promoted team on Reed and Lemina is an interesting approach. Not sure if I’d be feeling all that confident; though lots of time to go in the window.  Wouldn’t mind giving their ground a go when it (and COVID) is done. Fulham pre match pubs are great.

14 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

£10m for a newly promoted team on Reed and Lemina is an interesting approach. Not sure if I’d be feeling all that confident; though lots of time to go in the window. 

Reed was good for them. £8m is buttons for a player they feel can play at Premiership level. Lemina loan is a low risk deal. He can play and at his bets is better than what they have. 

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

Reed was good for them. £8m is buttons for a player they feel can play at Premiership level. Lemina loan is a low risk deal. He can play and at his bets is better than what they have. 

From what I gather he was indeed good. But he only started 21 games all season with another 4 as sub. Overall, very close to just half their games.

And, as you say, they may think he can play at Premier League level. He certainly will, of course. We’ll see how effective it is. Like I said, I’d be concerned if I was a Fulham fan. If they’re gonna spend another £100m or so on improvements then that’s another thing altogether, but history has told me as a Saints fan that I’d only want either Reed or Lemina as a short term backup.

Edited by The Kraken

12 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

From what I gather he was indeed good. But he only started 21 games all season with another 4 as sub. Overall, very close to just half their games.

And, as you say, they may think he can play at Premier League level. He certainly will, of course. We’ll see how effective it is. Like I said, I’d be concerned if I was a Fulham fan. If they’re gonna spend another £100m or so on improvements then that’s another thing altogether, but history has told me as a Saints fan that I’d only want either Reed or Lemina as a short term backup.

I don't have a strong opinion on Reed. I didn't see the one good game he had for Saints (was it Everton?), so haven't ever been pushing his claims for a berth in our CM. In the games I saw him play he underwhelmed me. He was neat and tidy, but he didn't run a game and he chased shadows a little bit. There was room for improvement and a loan was the ideal way. I look forward to seeing how much he has improved.

Lemina could win a couple of games for Fulham. He might lose one or two too trying to do to much to make up for the inadequacies of those around him.