Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

I see someone called Sara Davidson has posted that Saints are in advanced talks with Barclay for E29 million.

She states that 'Claude Puel's side are willing to pay €28 million in order to bring Barkley to St Mary's Stadium'. It doesn't seem that her knowledge of football / Southampton FC is that great..

She states that 'Claude Puel's side are willing to pay €28 million in order to bring Barkley to St Mary's Stadium'. It doesn't seem that her knowledge of football / Southampton FC is that great..

Isn't that the site where anyone can write anything they want, and 99.9% of the postings are totally made up.

It's worth persisting with the Barkley stuff just to see how soon the Everton forums pick up on it. Then MLG can head on there to explain why we're a bigger club.

I heard that Barkley's head is now too big to fit in their original historical dugouts, hence the move to a more modern stadium.

Could it be linked with a potential agreement over VVD going to Everton? Can't see us bothering otherwise - especially not at £30m + and £100k pw +

Can't see VVD to Everton, that is a massive step down from Liverpool and especially Chelsea.

Plus IIRC Ross Barkley turned down £100k a week (some reports also say £120k a week) from Everton we aren't going to pay that, maybe £80-90k a week at a stretch, plus the asking price is £35 million, which to be honest is absurd for a guy that was not a bang on starter for a mid table club last year and has a year on his contract left.

Koeman has said he basically has no future but they have no bids, papers are speculating that Spurs are waiting them out to buy him at a lower price.

The only way I could every see possibility of him coming here is if this bit is true -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/26/ross-barkleys-everton-career-says-ronald-koeman-100-wants/

the Everton manager, says Ross Barkley’s career at Goodison Park is over and the midfielder wants to leave for “a new challenge”.

The observations about the player from all his senior coaches have been strikingly similar. For his part, Barkley will feel that working with another manager in a new environment will be the key to elevating his game as he seeks to become the finished product rather than just potential.

He was stalling on committing his Everton future because he was unsure of his role in the side and knew the club was planning to spend heavily on creative midfielders and attackers.

That is something that materialised with the signing of Davy Klaassen and return of Wayne Rooney.

So if that is actually true and he does want a new challenge and wants to be played in his prefered position then maybe that is something we could offer him, but I still reckon he;s just after more money. Spurs will probably buy him on deadline day for £20 million and he'll sit on the bench behind Erikkson and Ali.

Personally don't rate him but he would fit into our team as a No.10 -

Forster

Cedric (hopefully VVD) Yoshida/Stephens Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

Redmond/Tadic Barkley/JWP Boufal

Gabbiadini

Edited by tajjuk
Can't see VVD to Everton, that is a massive step down from Liverpool and especially Chelsea.

Plus IIRC Ross Barkley turned down £100k a week (some reports also say £120k a week) from Everton we aren't going to pay that, maybe £80-90k a week at a stretch, plus the asking price is £35 million, which to be honest is absurd for a guy that was not a bang on starter for a mid table club last year and has a year on his contract left.

Koeman has said he basically has no future but they have no bids, papers are speculating that Spurs are waiting them out to buy him at a lower price.

The only way I could every see possibility of him coming here is if this bit is true -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/26/ross-barkleys-everton-career-says-ronald-koeman-100-wants/

So if that is actually true and he does want a new challenge and wants to be played in his prefered position then maybe that is something we could offer him, but I still reckon he;s just after more money. Spurs will probably buy him on deadline day for £20 million and he'll sit on the bench behind Erikkson and Ali.

Personally don't rate him but he would fit into our team as a No.10 -

Forster

Cedric (hopefully VVD) Yoshida/Stephens Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

Redmond/Tadic Barkley/JWP Boufal

Gabbiadini

I cant see it happening at all, but he would be a perfect signing for a club like us IMO.

He isnt good enough to start at anyone in the top 6 for me, except maybe for Everton who seem to be sticking to their guns as far as wages are concerned .

I think we will see what drives him really, its a world cup year, if he has ambitions to break into the england set up he needs an influential year with plenty of game time, that means the likes of us, WHU, Leicester, stoke etc. If he ends up at Spurs to make up the numbers then its money motivated and ill be glad to not have a player who sees money over fulfilling a potential.

If he has something to prove though then I'd pay to get him but not break the bank, wages around 100k shouldnt be too unachieveable for us, but I wouldn't break any wage structures.

Theres a good good player in there for someone to coax out of him

I cant see it happening at all, but he would be a perfect signing for a club like us IMO.

He isnt good enough to start at anyone in the top 6 for me, except maybe for Everton who seem to be sticking to their guns as far as wages are concerned .

I think we will see what drives him really, its a world cup year, if he has ambitions to break into the england set up he needs an influential year with plenty of game time, that means the likes of us, WHU, Leicester, stoke etc. If he ends up at Spurs to make up the numbers then its money motivated and ill be glad to not have a player who sees money over fulfilling a potential.

If he has something to prove though then I'd pay to get him but not break the bank, wages around 100k shouldnt be too unachieveable for us, but I wouldn't break any wage structures.

Theres a good good player in there for someone to coax out of him

Everton aren't top 6 anyway, but yeh he's not a starter for City, Utd, etc. He wasn't a starter for Everton really, and apparently he decided not to sign the contract because they have brought in Rooney and Klassen, who both potentially play in that similar position so he could even be further down the pecking order.

There is definitely talent there but he doesn't seem to have improved much since we was 18/19 and seems very inconsistent, but who knows, maybe consistent games and a manager who believes in him would get the best of him, but yeh can see him ending up West ham or the like and not doing much.

I wouldn't say no to Barkley, but I would be looking for a season long loan with an option to buy. How many years left on his contract? Can't really see it happening, especially if we are already in for Lemina. Almeida is an excellent player and obviously we are looking at succession planning ahead of a departure next summer.

Everton aren't top 6 anyway, but yeh he's not a starter for City, Utd, etc. He wasn't a starter for Everton really, and apparently he decided not to sign the contract because they have brought in Rooney and Klassen, who both potentially play in that similar position so he could even be further down the pecking order.

There is definitely talent there but he doesn't seem to have improved much since we was 18/19 and seems very inconsistent, but who knows, maybe consistent games and a manager who believes in him would get the best of him, but yeh can see him ending up West ham or the like and not doing much.

Barkley will end up at Spurs by the way, they're just haggling over the fee but near the deadline it'll happen. Think MoPo wants to turn him into a CM, learn from Dembele I guess. Not the worst move. He wouldn't start all the time but they have a lot of games and if he'll improve anywhere it's there.

I suppose the fullback rumours are nonsense. However, it were true...

I thought for some time about how Cedric would do a winger/RM. He started his career there originally.

Pied seems a lot stronger and I can't see Cedric getting a lot of game time if Pied plays at his best.

Just going to leave this here...

JWP is better than Barkley.

**** me, Monday afternoon & you're tanked up already.

Barclay looks like a typical West Ham signing to me. If I was him I'd lower my demands and try & get into Spurs. There seemed to be a little bit of interest there. Telling that absolutely nobody gets seriously linked with JWP isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought for some time about how Cedric would do a winger/RM. He started his career there originally.

Pied seems a lot stronger and I can't see Cedric getting a lot of game time if Pied plays at his best.

Is that a joke?

Bit odd. Cedric is and should be the first name at right back whilst he is here.

Bit odd. Cedric is and should be the first name at right back whilst he is here.

Guess what I'm trying to say is either way I'd be interested to see Cedric have some time further up the field.

It would be quite useful if we knew he could also cover for RM.

*Fingers-crossed*

(Needs a slightly better source for me to get excited though)

not sure its worth it for a one year loan deal, we are already in a position where one of boufal redmond etc will probably be on the bench, makes more sense to develop these two then roberts for city.

*Fingers-crossed*

(Needs a slightly better source for me to get excited though)

That Mirror "journalist" has a horrendous record for click bait articles and copy/pasting & rehashing old stories.

It only makes sense to buy or have the option to buy Roberts, Saints since returning to the Premier League haven't spend their time developing under 21s for other clubs. I doubt they are going to start now they are an established top 8 team.

Get (ex Celtic man) Forster to call him and recommend Saints to him

Forster left Celtic in 2014

Roberts joined Celtic in 2016

They possibly have never met each other.

**** me, Monday afternoon & you're tanked up already.

Barclay looks like a typical West Ham signing to me. If I was him I'd lower my demands and try & get into Spurs. There seemed to be a little bit of interest there. Telling that absolutely nobody gets seriously linked with JWP isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol:

That Mirror "journalist" has a horrendous record for click bait articles and copy/pasting & rehashing old stories.

It only makes sense to buy or have the option to buy Roberts, Saints since returning to the Premier League haven't spend their time developing under 21s for other clubs. I doubt they are going to start now they are an established top 8 team.

Forster left Celtic in 2014

Roberts joined Celtic in 2016

They possibly have never met each other.

Plus, how the hell would Roberts get anywhere near our team??? When I watched them he was often kept out by Scott Sinclair. Why would we sign back up to Redmond/Tadic/Boufal? JWP and Long can play wide, and Sims will be back needing games soon.

Didn't realise Gibson was still at Boro. Thought he'd moved for some reason. Worth signing? Be nice to get someone with a bit of experience under their belt even if just one season. Think he'd do alright here. Seems like a reasonable option to get now and then take longer to get another CB once we have the VVD money, even if it's in January or next summer.

Didn't realise Gibson was still at Boro. Thought he'd moved for some reason. Worth signing? Be nice to get someone with a bit of experience under their belt even if just one season. Think he'd do alright here. Seems like a reasonable option to get now and then take longer to get another CB once we have the VVD money, even if it's in January or next summer.

Never been very impressed with him myself but I bet he's not a complete **** so would be upgrade in some respects.

So, who have we concretely been linked with this summer at centre back? Hoedt, for one. Wimmer? de Vrij? Trying to separate the rumour from the fact.

I guess Hoedt is the one we've most recently been linked with. I still believe we only need one new centre back, partnering Stephens or Yoshida, but I understand why people think we need 2. (Jan Kirchoff still on a free if we fancy a cheapy! :))

So, who have we concretely been linked with this summer at centre back? Hoedt, for one. Wimmer? de Vrij? Trying to separate the rumour from the fact.

I guess Hoedt is the one we've most recently been linked with. I still believe we only need one new centre back, partnering Stephens or Yoshida, but I understand why people think we need 2. (Jan Kirchoff still on a free if we fancy a cheapy! :))

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15324677.Saints_Transfer_Rumour_Mill__Chelsea_target_Saints_duo/

Are these sizable bids, or loans etc? Obviously not looking for someone to dispose of Forster as number 1?

Buzzkill. Let a guy dream for a bit until the inevitable disappointment.

Then again, I wonder what Pellegrino thinks of him. Surely he will have looked up Forster's performances last year, especially after Brentford and Augsburg.

Are these sizable bids, or loans etc? Obviously not looking for someone to dispose of Forster as number 1?

Weird situation to be in after giving Forster a new 5 year contract.

Does not make sense to bring in a new number one although I agree Forster is crap.

Weird situation to be in after giving Forster a new 5 year contract.

Does not make sense to bring in a new number one although I agree Forster is crap.

I reckon McCarthy has got another serious season-ending injury. Then we have Taylor.......

Gazzaniga seemingly off, Lewis on loan at Dundee.

Hopefully whoever it is is good enough to push for a place himself and not just fill a position on the bench like Hassen did.

I reckon McCarthy has got another serious season-ending injury. Then we have Taylor.......

Gazzaniga seemingly off, Lewis on loan at Dundee.

Hopefully whoever it is is good enough to push for a place himself and not just fill a position on the bench like Hassen did.

was McCarthy the other player involved in the clash of knees injury which has put Sims out for a while ?