Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

The amount of years left on a contract determines the amount of leverage a club has. If there's only a year left the club doesn't have a whole lot of leverage (example: Wanyama) if a player recently signed a new contract then the selling club can demand a price a but over market value (exchange: Lallana). It doesn't make it impossible but the buying club must pay more then the players actual value. So a price of over 50 million in case Stones leaves for that amount isn't that crazy.
yes i realise that, what i was trying to allude to was that fans think that if we get a player to sign for 5 years he is staying for decent amount of time, but really he is for sale from the minute he signs if the right offer comes along. It is a mutually convenient situation for all
I cant see why people put any credence in a 5 or 6 year contract. You can make them 20 year contracts if you like but it means SFA. All it does is give the player bigger wages, the agents bigger commission and the club millions more if they sell in the meantime.The agents can still go around touting the player and will know if there is and how much the sell on clause is.
The length of contract does clearly matter, that why we let Wanyama go this summer and for only £11m, its not a complicated concept.
I cant see why people put any credence in a 5 or 6 year contract. You can make them 20 year contracts if you like but it means SFA. All it does is give the player bigger wages, the agents bigger commission and the club millions more if they sell in the meantime.The agents can still go around touting the player and will know if there is and how much the sell on clause is.

You say "all it does is.." dismissively and then list out all precisely the reasons people put "credence" in a five or six year contract.

It doesn't mean "SFA" , it means the things you have listed in your post and that's all it needs to mean. More wages for the player, yep, agents get a bit, yep and builds in a better fee for any future sale, yep. That's not "SFA", it's significant and the entire point of contracts.

Not sure what there is that you don't understand.

If we didn't bother giving extensions to Bertrand, VVD, Forster and just let them run down to nothing because they mean "SFA" you'd be blubbering like a baby about lack of ambition.

The length of contract does clearly matter, that why we let Wanyama go this summer and for only £11m, its not a complicated concept.

Exactly, some people seem too thick to understand this.

It puts us in a position of power, if players want to leave, we can either force them to stay for a few years or demand a huge fee in return.

5 or 6 year contracts is what we should have done mane and wanyma at the time and we could have flogged them off for even more money.

At least now the board have realized this and rectified it for all our new signings.

Exactly, some people seem too thick to understand this.

It puts us in a position of power, if players want to leave, we can either force them to stay for a few years or demand a huge fee in return.

5 or 6 year contracts is what we should have done mane and wanyma at the time and we could have flogged them off for even more money.

At least now the board have realized this and rectified it for all our new signings.

But for every Mane & Vic there's a Gaston. Imagine getting stuck for another 2 years with that waste of money

Do we have any links with this guy?

Can't really understand why anyone hasn't picked him up considering his record, low fee and he's only 23.

Sounds exactly like what we need, someone who can score some goals out of nothing, create and take set pieces.

Yea, his set pieces are great. And he is also left footed so JWP can still take his with his right

There are a few links like this one http://www.teamtalk.com/news/twente-star-ziyech-attracting-strong-premier-league-interest

Its a couple weeks old though

We do have a friendly vs Twente so you can watch him play if he plays

I really like the look of Ziyech, that would be an amazing piece of business getting him at such a low price, I can't see him leaving for that much though.

I cant either but Twente have money issues so they are desperate to sell their star players like they did with Tadic

I cant either but Twente have money issues so they are desperate to sell their star players like they did with Tadic

Has it been confirmed that they are playing in the Eredivise next season yet? I'd imagine he'd leave regardless, though

The job in hand for Puel now he has most of his star names available is to instil his ideas and methods, and also to assess what further signings he might like to make.

He has already targeted a right back, and potentially another attacking player to play a deeper role behind a main striker.

Source: http:// http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14622118.Puel_ready_to_step_it_up_as_Euro_stars_return/?ref=rss

I wonder if we have forgotten to tell him Cedric is a Saint! Otherwise i can't see the need for a new right back

Word!

I'm quite puzzled that many people here doesn't seem to rate Cedric. At this stage of Cedrics career he would never settle to play second fiddle, so if we buy a new first choice RB that would most likely mean cedric is off (or at least want to leave). I think he made a quite good contribution last year and i don't know why the criticism coming from. To write off a young player, european winner, with great potential doesn't make any sense to me..

Word!

I'm quite puzzled that many people here doesn't seem to rate Cedric. At this stage of Cedrics career he would never settle to play second fiddle, so if we buy a new first choice RB that would most likely mean cedric is off (or at least want to leave). I think he made a quite good contribution last year and i don't know why the criticism coming from. To write off a young player, european winner, with great potential doesn't make any sense to me..

Simply because he was not very good last year. He was dropped for large parts of the season.

Or, the most likely reason is that Puel doesn't rate Martina and he is the one that is off. Why people insist on saying that Cedric is the one being replaced I have no idea.

I expect it's because Cedric has a strong sale value just now and probably a few clubs willing to pay it, Martina on the other hand well............

It matters to the clubs coffers not the fans.

If we had tied Mane on a new contract within his first year I think most fans would be pretty bloody happy that we'd get to keep him for another year unless a silly silly offer came in!

Simply because he was not very good last year. He was dropped for large parts of the season.

Name me the bad games he had ? I can only remember 1 and was puzzled at him being left out !

That was what I was wondering too, Apart from the 2 head injuries I could see no reason for it ! Maybe because Cuco was Erwins man ?

Im sure I read somewhere that statistically Cedric was the best right back in the league! ?

If we had tied Mane on a new contract within his first year I think most fans would be pretty bloody happy that we'd get to keep him for another year unless a silly silly offer came in!
that is a fair comment , although do you think the club would have sold him for 30+m had he been on a 6 year contract? Personally I think they would have
Im sure I read somewhere that statistically Cedric was the best right back in the league! ?

I think the statistic I saw was best tackler in the PL, in that he won a higher percentage of tackles attempted than any other player (that was around Christmas though so I imagine that dropped second half of the season as he played less)

I think the statistic I saw was best tackler in the PL, in that he won a higher percentage of tackles attempted than any other player (that was around Christmas though so I imagine that dropped second half of the season as he played less)

Very much doubt it - does not work like that. Percentage is based on number of games actually played - not against total potential games he could have played.

I just think he was not a RK favourite for whatever reason. Like him and think he will come good, if not very good.

The 5 year contracts clearly matter because it puts the club in the driving seat with regards to sales, they obviously don't want to avoid another Clyne/Wanyama situation where the fee gets fairly low because of them only have a year left.

All our new signings and new contracts have been 5 or 6 years, I would reckon to specifically avoid that situation happening again, so either the player wants to move but will have 2/3 years left at least so gets a higher fee or we've had him for 4 years.

On a side note, Cedric Soares was rated as the 23rd best player in the league last year based on whoscored.com's average rating. The only defenders who got a higher rating than him were Van Dijk, Fuchs, Koscielny and Otamendi (plus at a stretch Antonio, though he only played 7 games at right back who they put into their best team at right back).

Bellerin was voted PFA best right back.

The 5 year contracts clearly matter because it puts the club in the driving seat with regards to sales, they obviously don't want to avoid another Clyne/Wanyama situation where the fee gets fairly low because of them only have a year left.

All our new signings and new contracts have been 5 or 6 years, I would reckon to specifically avoid that situation happening again, so either the player wants to move but will have 2/3 years left at least so gets a higher fee or we've had him for 4 years.

On a side note, Cedric Soares was rated as the 23rd best player in the league last year based on whoscored.com's average rating. The only defenders who got a higher rating than him were Van Dijk, Fuchs, Koscielny and Otamendi (plus at a stretch Antonio, though he only played 7 games at right back who they put into their best team at right back).

Bellerin was voted PFA best right back.

see, Otamendi was pretty shyte I reckon. VvD was pure class though

I would say Bellerin is the best right back in the leageu

why was he dropped for nearly half a season.?

He wasn't. He was dropped to the bench for 10 games, some of which coincided with his eye injuries, which affected him more than some seem to think. He missed 3 games due to a groin injury, and then was inexplicably dropped by Koeman, I would suggest that Koeman and Cedric had some sort of falling out, as Koeman seems to have done with a few players. Also Martina scored his wonder goal when he got his chance and lived on that for a few weeks despite him being not very good defensively. Still Cedric played 24 league games out of 38, so he was hardly dropped for "nearly half the season". Hopefully one who will benefit from Koeman's departure, he is a very good RB, not really any need to get an improvement.

see, Otamendi was pretty shyte I reckon. VvD was pure class though

I would say Bellerin is the best right back in the leageu

Ottamendi was alright in most games, just didn't quite cut it in the crunch games and probably tried to get the ball on the front foot too much.

Bellerin is good, but not sure he gets tested that much defensively and a lot of his games is just around raw pace.

But goes to show Cedric was pretty consistent, he was a our second highest rated player and I doubt we'll find a better right back without spending a lot. I just think the way Puel plays he likes the fullbacks to provide a lot of width and attacking intent so with the extra games maybe he feels we need two quality full backs for the whole season and maybe one that is more offensive than Cedric.

On the stats -

Cedric Bellerin

Tackles per game 3 1.6

Interceptions pg 2.3 1.9

Fouls pg 0.8 0.5

Clearances pg 2.8 2.4

Blocks pg 0.5 0.2

Defensively Cedric was way more active, Bellerin better offensively 1 goal, 5 assists, 1.8 dribbles per game and a 85.7% pass success rate, whereas Cedric only had 2 assists, dribbled less and his pass success rate was down at 73%, the only offensive area he beats Bellerin is key pass per game.

Bellerin is a better attacking full back, Cedric seems the better defensive one. (which he also showed at Euros).

Maybe we are after a more offensive full back to have those two options.

its funny that people think that a player that won the euros (cedric) is not good enough for southampton (4 clean sheets inc. semi and final), cuco is quite good for a back up for saints and Yan valery looked great the other day at right back.

clyne and chambers wasnt any better than cedric this last season just gone....

he was dropped by a manger that also dropped tadic who is one of your best players and mane was also dropped. kept playing wanyama over oriol, and also played clasie all the time when reed or jwp could have played.playing 5 at the back and playing long ball for most of the season...as much as i like koeman he made soo many bad mistakes inc not playing a young right back called cedric...

its funny that people think that a player that won the euros (cedric) is not good enough for southampton (4 clean sheets inc. semi and final), cuco is quite good for a back up for saints and Yan valery looked great the other day at right back.

clyne and chambers wasnt any better than cedric this last season just gone....

he was dropped by a manger that also dropped tadic who is one of your best players and mane was also dropped. kept playing wanyama over oriol, and also played clasie all the time when reed or jwp could have played.playing 5 at the back and playing long ball for most of the season...as much as i like koeman he made soo many bad mistakes inc not playing a young right back called cedric...

we should sign Eder immediately. he would grab us 20 goals next season!

The Euro's is very different from the premier league, it is a cup competition ffs. I doubt Robson-Kanu will be cryuff-turning many defences next season

The Euro's is very different from the premier league, it is a cup competition ffs. I doubt Robson-Kanu will be cryuff-turning many defences next season

sorry your right the premier league is on a different level... england and Belgian and all the other premier league players did amazing in a **** competition.

The Euro's is very different from the premier league, it is a cup competition ffs.

doesnt matter nor do i care... (like to add robson-kanu cryuff-turn was against Denayer (man city defender) and Alderweireld one off the best defenders in the premier league.)

some of the things you write on here your bang on but the sarcasm about eder and robson kanu because i said cedric played great at euros is just not needed

Just shows you shouldn't ONLY judge on a tournament, doesn't mean players can't impress. Cedric was excellent, and he was very good for large parts of last season which is hard enough for any defender in their first season. Look at the money clubs spend on defenders from abroad who turn out to be rubbish. I'd expect Cedric to have a better second season, he's shown plenty of quality and I'd be amazed if we could sign someone better. He's not Clyne level yet for us, but he's not exactly far off and seems to have the potential. Keeping our back 4 and keeper together will be a huge positive, not many teams go into a season with a defence that settled.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3693819/Cedric-Soares-set-rewarded-new-contract-Southampton-look-build-new-manager-Claude-Puel.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Unsurprisingly, we are in the market for a new number 2 GK. Gazzanigfa wants a loan to get some games and Harry Lewis will step in as the number 3.

Other news:

Cedric set to be given an improved contract, Tadic discussing a new and improved contract with talks set to continue this week. Long will also be offered a new deal.

Reed, Gallagher, Isgrove and Stephens have impressed Puel so far in pre season and are ear marked to play some first team football next season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3693819/Cedric-Soares-set-rewarded-new-contract-Southampton-look-build-new-manager-Claude-Puel.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Unsurprisingly, we are in the market for a new number 2 GK. Gazzanigfa wants a loan to get some games and Harry Lewis will step in as the number 3.

Other news:

Cedric set to be given an improved contract, Tadic discussing a new and improved contract with talks set to continue this week. Long will also be offered a new deal.

Reed, Gallagher, Isgrove and Stephens have impressed Puel so far in pre season and are ear marked to play some first team football next season.

That's going some one week of training and a friendly latter and they have got themselves in contention for the 1st team places......

That's going some one week of training and a friendly latter and they have got themselves in contention for the 1st team places......

Because Koeman could not see it himself as he had his own head up his arse.

I will continue to believe Pottychino would of brought these kids through into the first team as he was brilliant at doing so.

Puel it seems has been hired for that very role which I love personally.

Regarding the Daily Fail article, Redmond is not Mane's replacement.

Because Koeman could not see it himself as he had his own head up his arse.

I will continue to believe Pottychino would of brought these kids through into the first team as he was brilliant at doing so.

Puel it seems has been hired for that very role which I love personally.

Regarding the Daily Fail article, Redmond is not Mane's replacement.

Agree mostly. I think 3/4 top quality signings combined with bringing youth players in is ideal. It's the signings like Juanmi, martina, caulker and a few other loans I don't get. Sign first teamers or those very close, but for competition bring in youth players. Reed in particular was ready to be involved last season but never trusted. He'd already shown he could do it. Was Clasie much better? He was effective in a fair few games eventually yes, but with experience I think Reed could do as good a job, and not cost 11m.

Isgrove not so sure about, he did well in the lower leagues but it's a hell of a jump in quality. He has a habit of doing great in pre season! Gallagher though, I have a feeling he might do something. I've seen him be great and rubbish for the reserves/youth, and show some good and bad touches in the first team. But he seems bigger, more powerful now. Be great to see him do well.