The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

Have I missed an announcement or is emery still available? Same goes for the others on our initial shortlist?

Blanc has been sacked with a 22 million € pay off and Emery has been pulling the strings at PSG already these last 2 weeks.

He'll be announced next week no doubt, might even be the same time as Krychoviak (or however that's actually spelt).

I recall Rupert being loyal to staff, enter Stuart Gray and we know where that led to

So you're saying the ONLY result of a club showing loyalty to its staff is that said loyalty is followed immediately by the appointment of a hopeless manager? Honestly.....

Like they did with MP?

I think MP coming here was a different kettle of fish completely - we were courting with the lower half of the Prem with Adkins for a start. And the primary angst over loosing Adkins was linked with sentimentality to him, rather than the credentials of the incoming manager.

We have just parted company with a highly rated manager in Koeman who took us to Europe (again) and a 6th place slot in the Prem. I think it's only reasonable given the raised expectations of all stakeholders to expect a "wow" managerial appointment at this point in Saints march onwards. Don't you?

I think MP coming here was a different kettle of fish completely - we were courting with the lower half of the Prem with Adkins for a start. And the primary angst over loosing Adkins was linked with sentimentality to him, rather than the credentials of the incoming manager.

We have just parted company with a highly rated manager in Koeman who took us to Europe (again) and a 6th place slot in the Prem. I think it's only reasonable given the raised expectations of all stakeholders to expect a "wow" managerial appointment at this point in Saints march onwards. Don't you?

No I expect them to get the right man for the job - don't you?

He [silva] has a better record and has at least managed in two countries.

Not i particularly strong leagues though. French League isn't that strong but I suspect its stronger than either Portugal or Greece.

I'd take Puel over Silva.

Badly want Marco Silva!!!!!!

Is the shortlist just Puel or is there someone else. Hope it's Marco Silva. French guy at work said Puel was a good coach who played exciting attacking football.

You don't want a good coach who plays exciting attacking football then ?

Or does Silva trump that in some way ?

Seriously hoping your right.Out of the two of them I think Silva looks the more exciting manager and feel he could have a similar impact as Pochettino.I just don't feel anything about Puel.

Puel just leaves me feeling cold in all honesty. If he's appointed then I'll fully back him, but he just doesn't get me excited the same way Silva does.

Silva's situation is strange tho. Resigned from Olympiacos for personal reasons apparently, some journalists saying he had a falling out with the owner, (who is also about to buy Forest, hence the link). Same journalists then linked him to us, after saying he would never manage a club in the second tier. Maybe all ********, time will tell. I live in hope tho.

Not having a go at any of the above but I'm intrigued as to how such strong preferences can be formed, presumably from internet searches, rather than first hand knowledge of the two, unless of course close followers of French football, and Silva's career.

Does Silva play exciting attacking football by the way ?

From the little I've read on the internet Puel does appear a little more of a "cold" candidate, but I can't really justify that. Wonder if we're all expecting too much that by appointing a manager with Spanish or Portuguese experience it'll be Poch II without question, and we'll end up with "sexy football" as once termed.

If you look at their careers, Puel appears to have had a more stable career in France, but with conflicting comments appearing about his style of play.

As Gerbil says Silva's situation is a strange one, not just currently but his career. A meteoric rise with his club in Portugal (perhaps the Portuguese Eddie Howe?), before going to Sporting. But despite success there (cup win),and then Olimpiakos (league title) in the last two years he's left both after just a year in charge, one due to a dispute and then "personal reasons". So despite being a promising young coach there may be question marks over him if stability is key.

I just want an appointment now to be honest so that we have a manager before the end of the transfer window. Worryingly (maybe) I know for a fact that Saints were (before yesterday anyway) looking to raise money on the capital markets again (as my neighbour is handling it). I say maybe as leverage is a part of any business and borrowing against the TV money probably makes sound financial sense during the transfer window (so maybe that's a good thing transfers wise), however it shows that Kat is not writing cheques anymore eh.

Re Badger's question above on Silva, I think both Sporting and Olimpiakos have "interesting" presidents. I don't know so much about Greece but with Sporting there was a strong desire to bring in Jorge Jesus who was benfica's manager. Before that he had been at Estoril for years as player and manager.

I have held a season ticket at Estoril since moving here hence this being one of the few subject I comment on. He payed great football, normally 433 and using fast wide players.

Estoril is a tiny team - crowds are small in Portugal but even so, the attendance is only around 1200 other than for the big teams like Porto, Benfica, Sporting. Yet he took them to the Europa league twice. He went to Sporting ad won their first trophy for several years, then to Greece. Of course he may tank in the PL but when I said when just putting his name out there back in January I think he could be the next Poch.

Re Badger's question above on Silva, I think both Sporting and Olimpiakos have "interesting" presidents. I don't know so much about Greece but with Sporting there was a strong desire to bring in Jorge Jesus who was benfica's manager. Before that he had been at Estoril for years as player and manager.

I have held a season ticket at Estoril since moving here hence this being one of the few subject I comment on. He payed great football, normally 433 and using fast wide players.

Estoril is a tiny team - crowds are small in Portugal but even so, the attendance is only around 1200 other than for the big teams like Porto, Benfica, Sporting. Yet he took them to the Europa league twice. He went to Sporting ad won their first trophy for several years, then to Greece. Of course he may tank in the PL but when I said when just putting his name out there back in January I think he could be the next Poch.

Thanks, interesting.

Anyone for Laurent Blanc as manager and Giggs as assistant manager?

Just something someone mentioned to me as a possibility........and no they are not an ITK as far as I am aware!

Don't see it happening but would be pretty happy with that.

What is this bizarre insistence with Giggs? He has absolutely none of the experience and qualities we need
Agree - he has none of the experience or qualities we need Edited by Pengi

The more I think about our manager situation the more I think we are waiting for someone involved in the Euros. I'm sure someone eluded to this a while back.

Then we had the 'New Direction' info from Guan which is making me think.

So I am sat here watching a god awful game between Wales and NI and I am adding 2 + 2 and making 5 and I have this strange feeling they might be plumping for Gary Neville.

The more I think about our manager situation the more I think we are waiting for someone involved in the Euros. I'm sure someone eluded to this a while back.

So I am sat here watching a god awful game between Wales and NI and I am adding 2 + 2 and making 5 and I have this strange feeling they might be plumping for Gary Neville.

After all that build up I Thought you were going to say Deschamps.

Saint Billy, what is the new direction then? Any inside info. I'm personally still hoping the new manager will be Pellegrini.

Sorry davefizzy, this is just me gathering a hunch from info on here.

I can't remember it word for word but Guan our resident itk guru mentioned that saints are going in a new direction which for me is the bit that is confusing. That coupled with the time it is taking to appoint someone makes me wonder if we are waiting for someone to become available.

The silence from Guan and Kbilly is deafening.

Spoke to someone I know in the media today, Solent - He thinks Puel will be announced early next week. Reason for delay he thinks is to allow supporters to get used to name before announcement.

And to get the player sales done so it looks like he has a big transfer pot to spend.

Spoke to someone I know in the media today, Solent - He thinks Puel will be announced early next week. Reason for delay he thinks is to allow supporters to get used to name before announcement.

Sounds a bit silly to me, if he's their choice then that's it...I'm sure most people on here are man (or woman), enough to be able to handle it.

Michael O'Neill?

They forgot to tell jack Schitt the bit about bandying that name around..got it confused with pellegrini so we all got used to that name...DOH!

Michael O'Neill?

Links with Steve Davis and has got NI to perform superbly given meagre resources. I do think that if negotiations with candidates are dragging, the introduction of competition won't so any harm