• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

I see the hashtag #thick is trending on twitter - it piqued my curiousity. Wish I hadn't looked now :scared:

70% of voters whose educational attainment is only GCSE or lower voted to Leave, while 68% of voters with a university degree voted to Remain in the EU. (YouGov)

I see Les is doing everything possible to prove how angry he still is - rather than magnanimity on their big day and looking forward to a bright new dawn, he and his fellow oddballs at spiked-online prefer to stew in the past and hand out make-believe awards for a condition that only exists in their bitter minds.

What’s eating away at you pal?

Edited by shurlock

I see Les is doing everything possible to prove how angry he still is - rather than magnanimity on their big day and looking forward to a bright new dawn, he and his fellow oddballs at spiked-online prefer to stew in the past and hand out make-believe awards for a condition that only exists in their bitter minds.

What’s eating away at you pal?

Les is typical of most Brexiteers looking to the past rather than the future. They prefer the UK in the 60's to today.

I reckon Les is angry because he may be beginning to realise that Johnson is untrustworthy. He shafted the DUP with his Brexit deal. He has upset many leading lights of the ERG with his 5G proposals. Nationalising railways is definitely a pinkoe measure.

Can he be trusted to deliver the European settlement that Les wants ? Hmmm. I wouldn't bank on it.

70% of voters whose educational attainment is only GCSE or lower voted to Leave, while 68% of voters with a university degree voted to Remain in the EU. (YouGov)

Should be easy to get a rejoin campaign going then. All these highly intelligent people, backed by millions of pound notes. Finding someone with the political skills, knowledge & charisma of the great man Nige should be a breeze.

The older that you are the more likely that you are to vote out. The younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree.

The older people built the universities and sent their children there. And then don't pay any attention to their opinions once they've graduated.

Les is typical of most Brexiteers looking to the past rather than the future. They prefer the UK in the 60's to today.

I reckon Les is angry because he may be beginning to realise that Johnson is untrustworthy. He shafted the DUP with his Brexit deal. He has upset many leading lights of the ERG with his 5G proposals. Nationalising railways is definitely a pinkoe measure.

Can he be trusted to deliver the European settlement that Les wants ? Hmmm. I wouldn't bank on it.

You're no better at the amateur psychiatry than Gavyn.The 60's was great for pop music and fashion, but completely a crap decade for politics. So Boris is a pinko? You remoaners have changed your tune. I thought you had him as far right. Make up your minds.

Brexiteers showing their true colours ?

""Happy Brexit Day" notices telling residents "we do not tolerate" people speaking languages other than English have been posted at a block of flats."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51341735

_110735073_mediaitem110735067.jpg

Yes, of course! A tower block that has 15 floors houses at least one racist in it - who, incidentally has little grasp of the English language they are trumpetting - so that MUST mean without a shadow of a doubt that all Brexiteers are thick racists :mcinnes:

Trump dents UK hopes for South Korea helicopter deal

Potential blow for Yeovil plant as US forces Seoul to consider US weapons

I know some chumps bought their Heritage Foundation-Mickey Mouse t-shirts to mark a blossoming of the special relationship but this is what trade in the real world looks like. As for attempting to monetise security alliances...

https://www.ft.com/content/458747f0-4187-11ea-a047-eae9bd51ceba

Yes, of course! A tower block that has 15 floors houses at least one racist in it - who, incidentally has little grasp of the English language they are trumpetting - so that MUST mean without a shadow of a doubt that all Brexiteers are thick racists :mcinnes:

Never intended to reference "all" leavers, but I am confident that this type of opinion is much more widely held than a single wierdo in Norwich. If such views do not reflect your personal attitude fine, but you may well be in a much smaller majority than you might like to think.

Never intended to reference "all" leavers, but I am confident that this type of opinion is much more widely held than a single wierdo in Norwich. If such views do not reflect your personal attitude fine, but you may well be in a much smaller majority than you might like to think.
Loads of people who vote the same way as me or who believe similar things also hold repugnant views that I disagree with. It doesn't make the views we share invalid or wrong. I'm not going to stop supporting saints just because some of our fans are homophobic or racist. I'm sure I could find plenty of examples of people who voted remain who have said and done some terrible things but it's no reflection on others who voted along similar lines.

Refreshing to watch Andrew Marr show and everyone seemed a little more rational and understanding of the others. That even included Farage.

First time In many a moon that I have watched a political programme and not felt wound up. A nicer politics or they may just all be worn out?

The older that you are the more likely that you are to vote out. The younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree.

True but doesn't change the fact that poorly educated people are more likely to be Brexiteers than well educated people of the same age.

The older you are, the more likely you are to own your own home, the younger you are, the more likely you are to own a football - is a comparison that is equally as pointless....

westie-puppy.jpg

I don't think you've understood the point, little westie. Other things being equal, the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote remain.

Edited by shurlock
the important bit in italics

After controlling for age, it’s still the case that the more educated you were, the more likely you were to vote remain. So not sure what point Sergei was trying to make.

I don't think you've understood the point, little westie. Other things being equal, the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote remain.

By your own admission, neither have you!

Technically, Sergei made two points, let me highlight them for you so you can understand.

Point 1 is that Older people are (were) more likely to vote leave.

Point 2 is that younger people are more likely to have a degree.

Those two things points (in Sergie's post) are not intrinsically linked and there is absolutely no way you can extrapolate that the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote leave from what he wrote, not without making a huge assumption or pretending to be cleverer than everyone else.

You'd be better off sticking to failing investment funds as that seems to be the only area where you have any success.

Those two things points (in Sergie's post) are not intrinsically linked and there is absolutely no way you can extrapolate that the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote leave from what he wrote, not without making a huge assumption or pretending to be cleverer than everyone else.

You'd be better off sticking to failing investment funds as that seems to be the only area where you have any success.

He was suggesting that age and education level are highly correlated with one another. They are to some extent but not to the extent implied by Sergei. Taking Sergei's point to an extreme, it suggests that one variable (or the other) has little independent explanatory power. This is not borne out by the data. Both age and education have independent explanatory power (and its not hard to hypothesise why that's the case). If anything, the effect of education is more important than age on the decision to vote remain/leave. When you can show that this is also true of owning a football (or any other spurious association), you might have a point. Otherwise carry on talking gibberish little fella.

Edited by shurlock

He was suggesting that age and education level are highly correlated with one another. They are but not to the degree suggested by Sergei. Taken to an extreme, it suggests that one variable (or the other) has little independent explanatory power. This is not borne out by the data. Keep up.

Not the way he wrote the post he wasn't. Keep up pal.

For someone who was such an advocate of grammar the other day regarding the Oxford comma, you seem to have completed ignored the full stop seperating both of his points. It is only your assumption that he was linking the two points - you've even admitted you didn't understand his point but now you seem to be quite contrary!

Which one is it, did you understand his point or not?

After controlling for age, it’s still the case that the more educated you were, the more likely you were to vote remain. So not sure what point Sergei was trying to make.

Not the way he wrote the post he wasn't. Keep up pal.

For someone who was such an advocate of grammar the other day regarding the Oxford comma, you seem to have completed ignored the full stop seperating both of his points. It is only your assumption that he was linking the two points - you've even admitted you didn't understand his point but now you seem to be quite contrary!

Which one is it, did you understand his point or not?

Its not clear what point he's trying to make: are age and education extremely correlated with one another (and thus pretty redundant)? Or despite a degree of correlation, does each nonetheless have independent explanatory power? The evidence points to the latter.

Did I make a point about the Oxford comma? You're getting confused and flustered pal.

Edited by shurlock

He was suggesting that age and education level are highly correlated with one another.

Its not clear what point he's trying to make:

You're getting confused and flustered pal.

So, you don't know, then you do know, then you don't know once more!

Seems there's only one person who's confused and flustered ;)

So, you don't know, then you do know, then you don't know once more!

Seems there's only one person who's confused and flustered ;)

His point is confusing -hence I don't know for sure; in the absence of clarity, I can only speculate on what he meant. Which is what I did. Either way he's free to clear up his point. HTH pal.

While all the evidence shows that Brexit vote, age and education are interrelated -and thus not pointless- can you show that owning a football is independently associated with a vote to leave or remain? Which is what I picked you up on before you ran away and attempted to deflect and obfuscate. Given that's above your likely abilities, perhaps we can keep things simple and you can point me to where I mentioned an Oxford comma.

The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#pony

Ahh those halcyon days of the early 1970s. What a great time that was! Quite nostalgic tbh. You know, the range of choice in food shops, wonderful cars like Ford Cortina's, Morris Marina's and Austin Allegro's, the miners strike, power cuts, inflation at around 8%, Bloody Sunday, OPEC Oil Embargo. Happy days!

By your own admission, neither have you!

Technically, Sergei made two points, let me highlight them for you so you can understand.

Point 1 is that Older people are (were) more likely to vote leave.

Point 2 is that younger people are more likely to have a degree.

Oh, the joy of taking things out of context.

Sergei's post was made in response to this one,

so the link between his 2 clauses is quite clear, as a smaller proportion of people over 45 will be university educated, and a majority of this age demographic voted leave. However, as Shurlock says, of the over 45s with a degree level qualification, a majority voted remain.

Edited by badgerx16

I’m curious to know what your degree is in. Just askin’. Or indeed A-levels.

Refreshing to watch Andrew Marr show and everyone seemed a little more rational and understanding of the others. That even included Farage.

First time In many a moon that I have watched a political programme and not felt wound up. A nicer politics or they may just all be worn out?

Didn’t watch Marr this morning but if the Daily Telegraph front page and Dominic Raab’s interviews are anything to go by, the anger, blame game and bizarre sense of victimhood are ratcheting up a notch. Barely 48hrs after leaving. Guess if it whips up the usual suspects into a frenzy and diverts attention, why change a winning formula.

#getbrexitdone

Didn’t watch Marr this morning but if the Daily Telegraph front page and Dominic Raab’s interviews are anything to go by, the anger, blame game and bizarre sense of victimhood are ratcheting up a notch. Barely 48hrs after leaving. Guess if it whips up the usual suspects into a frenzy and diverts attention, why change a winning formula.

#getbrexitdone

But whose 'red lines' are illusiary, the UK's 'we will not meet EU rules' or the EU's 'no Free Trade except on our terms'. As Varadkar says, the UK ( at 22 miles from France and directly connected to Eire ) is not Canada ( over 2200 miles across the Atlantic ).

His point is confusing -hence I don't know for sure; in the absence of clarity, I can only speculate on what he meant. Which is what I did. Either way he's free to clear up his point. HTH pal.

While all the evidence shows that Brexit vote, age and education are interrelated -and thus not pointless- can you show that owning a football is independently associated with a vote to leave or remain?

I appreciate you've had a very confusing day, pal, but at no point have I claimed that owning a football is independently associated with anything, let alone a vote to leave or remain. Not sure how you've managed to get yourself all muddled up this time, but hope my clarification helps.

I appreciate you've had a very confusing day, pal, but at no point have I claimed that owning a football is independently associated with anything, let alone a vote to leave or remain. Not sure how you've managed to get yourself all muddled up this time, but hope my clarification helps.

Sorry pal but you’re only digging a deeper hole for yourself and making yourself look more of a tit.

One last chance: why is saying the younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree the same as saying the younger the you are, the more likely you are to own a football in the context of who voted remain (or leave) in the referendum?

Unless you can show me otherwise, Westie, all you’ve done is take one meaningful association (age and education) and compared it to an utterly meaningless one (age and football ownership) in said context. Which, as I say, makes you look a tit.

Edited by shurlock

The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.

Is remembering life before the EEC even relevant?

Apart from being a completely different world back then we were not on the doorstep of, but not part of, the world’s largest trading bloc.

Of course that is true, despite Gavyn's protestations.

The last two or three episodes of Question Time have been a lot less confrontational now too. Brexit is no longer the burning issue that it was before the General Election when the Parliamentary arithmetic allowed all sorts of shenanigans to thwart it. It is a pity that on here the remoaners attempt to keep the pot boiling, fighting long lost battles, when the exercise is now completely pointless.

including a Degree is David Beckham studies?

Given the latest that age cohort (55+) was born (at the time of the referendum) was 1961 and David Beckham was barely out of his mother’s snatch at the time it went to university, it would have taken someone with incredible foresight to create a degree in David Beckham studies. So no Jamie.

Given the latest that age cohort (55+) was born (at the time of the referendum) was 1961 and David Beckham was barely out of his mother’s snatch at the time it went to university, it would have taken someone with incredible foresight to create a degree in David Beckham studies. So no Jamie.

Oh right, only counting those not studying later in life.

Should have said...

Is remembering life before the EEC even relevant?

Apart from being a completely different world back then we were not on the doorstep of, but not part of, the world’s largest trading bloc.

When we joined the EEC, along with Eire and Denmark, we brought the number of members up to 9, so it was hardly analagous to the EU of 28 member states.

Remainer Dan Hodges must have read this thread before he penned his article in the remain MoS today. Perfect description of the arrogant losers on here.

“lecturing has become the Remainers’ default setting.

The Remainers have transitioned from fearing Brexit to actively hoping Brexit will indeed prove the catalyst for national catastrophe. Their entire world view is predicated on Brexit’s failure.

The economy has to slump, then crash. The NHS and other vital public services have to collapse. Britain has to be isolated, then shunned, by the global community.

These are no longer things that fill Remainers with trepidation, but with longing. They absolutely have to be proved right. And the only way they can be proved right is through Brexit Armageddon. Because if Brexit works, the world as they know it vanishes around them. And then they have to adopt the Brexiteers’ old lament: ‘I don’t recognise my own country any more.”

“That’s why the Remainers lost. Because they proved to be just as ideologically obsessed and blinkered as their opponents. Because they had no interest in listening, only in proving they knew best. Because when they were asked to show some respect for the British people, all they could muster was contempt.

The nation saw all this. They saw it three and a half years ago. And they see it this morning. So the Remainers will lose again. And again. And again.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction