Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

He hasn't really ripped it up at club level for whatever reason. The guy has always had such good technical ability but there is just something else missing from his makeup which means he's never consistent. Like Gaston in many ways.

It wasn't the wrong decision to let him go, we just didn't replace him with anyone else who could impact our team.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He hasn't really ripped it up at club level for whatever reason. The guy has always had such good technical ability but there is just something else missing from his makeup which means he's never consistent. Like Gaston in many ways.

It wasn't the wrong decision to let him go, we just didn't replace him with anyone else who could impact our team.

He was pretty consistent at Lille

43 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He was pretty consistent at Lille

Maybe his attitude was when he made it to the big time Premier League "I've done my work and have arrived in the big time - nothing more to be done". That last bit is where he fell down. Whilst he would quicken the pulse when he got on the ball, those moments were sporadic, but where he failed, with Ralph in particular, Sofiane wasn't prepared to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in with the team mundanity on a matchday. 

• Like 1

He was sh*te here because we didn’t use him properly… same with Djenpo.  We get flair players who can be magic on the ball and train them out of it by stopping them roaming and prioritising them helping the team defend rather than attack…. 

We shouldn’t buy these kinds of players unless we will actually try to play to their strengths.  Anyway, he was also professional if unspectacular here so best of luck to him.  Glad he was so successful at the WC

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Player turns up at major tournament that is shown worldwide for brief period of time. Everyone’s in the shop window during the World Cup.

It doesn’t erase how poorly they played before or how well they “could have done”. 🤣

There's a long history of players making big money moves after a world cup, only to fail to produce on a weekly basis. El Hadji Diouf, James Rodriquez, Salif Diau etc etc.

Just now, cloggy saint said:

There's a long history of players making big money moves after a world cup, only to fail to produce on a weekly basis. El Hadji Diouf, James Rodriquez, Salif Diau etc etc.

El Hadji Diouf 🤣

He was funny to watch play! I remember watching Celtic v Rangers at the back end of his career. 
He was involved in every scuffle, dispute, dissent going, got through the entire ninety minutes with only a yellow and got a straight red after the final whistle went. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Loved the guy and sad when he was pushed out. We've persisted with many worse than him. The so-called best league in the world is anchored in high speed, high energy and physicality and quite obviously the olde worldie silky smooth talents of Sofiane did not match these criteria. THAT solo effort against WBA gave a glimpse of what could have been but our somewhat blinkered  manager's of the time had other priorities. He might have fared better and blossomed more in a better footballing side like Arsenal or Man C but probably wasn't rated good enough for them. The right player in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 2

On 23/10/2020 at 21:54, stevy777_x said:

Think it s more about a style of play and league than level. Just not suited to the PL, it happens.

he s always had the level to shine.

He ll be at a top european club in the next 2 years.

On 23/10/2020 at 22:07, Lighthouse said:

I wish him well... but no.

In 4 years here he scored against WBA... who got relegated, Boro.... who got relegated, Sunderland... who got relegated and Spurs.... who were 5-0 up and already in the pub. He’ll do well in Ligue 1 and there’s no shame in that but he’s not about to suddenly light up Europe.

On 23/10/2020 at 23:57, Lord Duckhunter said:

Pony

On 24/10/2020 at 08:46, CB Fry said:

See you in two years.

Stevy can spot a player!  Boufal always had the ability, that much was obvious. Let's see what happens next for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the PL. 

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

El Hadji Diouf 🤣

He was funny to watch play! I remember watching Celtic v Rangers at the back end of his career. 
He was involved in every scuffle, dispute, dissent going, got through the entire ninety minutes with only a yellow and got a straight red after the final whistle went. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Annoyingly, I seem to remember him scoring two of his only three goals that season he moved to Liverpool against Saints. It was our second or third game, away at Anfield.

I’ll also add Milan Baros to the list, from Euro 2004.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Stevy can spot a player!  Boufal always had the ability, that much was obvious. Let's see what happens next for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the PL. 

Stephane Guivarch and Roque Junior both started a World Cup final for the winning team once. Let’s not pretend Boufal has suddenly silenced his critics.

44 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Stephane Guivarch and Roque Junior both started a World Cup final for the winning team once. Let’s not pretend Boufal has suddenly silenced his critics.

Err, what's that got to do with Boufal having a superb world cup?

7 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

is it, or is he just not very good…

I think in his case he tries too hard - bit like playing golf, you try and hit the skin off the ball and your ball is most likely going all over the place. If you slow things down the ball goes more or less where you are aiming and a long way. Djenepo always seems to be in hurry to do things, how many times do you see him test and go beyond the limit of grip of his studs ending up on his arse. He obviously has ability, if he tempered his frantic endeavour a little he would probably find he was a little more in control and would be able to easily pull off what he has planned in his head.

People in the club must see something in him as a player, as I’m pretty certain he got a contract extension recently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Because a player having a good tournament doesn’t translate to being a decent club player. What does having a superb WC got to do with playing for a top European side?

Karl Paborksy. Brilliant for Czech Rep in Euro 1996, signed by Man United after it, absolute gash for them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

El Hadji Diouf 🤣

His main attribute was spitting. I'll add Arshavin to the list. Had a great WC, or possibly Euros, moved to Arsenal and apart from scoring 4 in one game did bugger all.

Edited by cloggy saint

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Because a player having a good tournament doesn’t translate to being a decent club player. What does having a superb WC have to do with playing for a top European side?

Those players didn't have good tournaments. Boufal did. I've seen the player at this WC that it was obvious he could be given the chance. Doing well at WC level against top teams suggests to me that he has the quality to play for a decent side. I'm not sure what's controversial about that. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sofiane Boufal
On 23/10/2020 at 15:54, stevy777_x said:

Think it s more about a style of play and league than level. Just not suited to the PL, it happens.

he s always had the level to shine.

He ll be at a top european club in the next 2 years.

*** edit. Totally misread when this was originally posted, my apologies.

Edited by SaintTex

7 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Loved the guy and sad when he was pushed out. We've persisted with many worse than him. The so-called best league in the world is anchored in high speed, high energy and physicality and quite obviously the olde worldie silky smooth talents of Sofiane did not match these criteria. THAT solo effort against WBA gave a glimpse of what could have been but our somewhat blinkered  manager's of the time had other priorities. He might have fared better and blossomed more in a better footballing side like Arsenal or Man C but probably wasn't rated good enough for them. The right player in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The ironic thing is that if he regularly scored goals like the one against West Brom he would have been off anyway to a bigger club. When you support a club outside the top six and lower you can't win either way. 

Last night showed what he is capable of when he puts his mind to it.  Trouble was he rarely got that motivated for Saints.  He had the talent but I lost count of the number of times he tried to beat too many players when playing for Saints when a good pass was on.  The goal against West Brom was the one occasion when it really came off.  A case of what might have been but I am not sure if any of our managers over the past 10 years would have been able to get him playing to that level regularly

Don’t care what anyone says he absolutely pisses over redmond and always did.. I kinda hate hasenhuttl for decisions like getting rid of him and gabbi.. both are a country mile better then anything we have currently 

ironically  for a manager that was so anti talent and only interested in off the ball rubbish.. we still couldn’t defend for shit 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Don’t care what anyone says he absolutely pisses over redmond and always did.. I kinda hate hasenhuttl for decisions like getting rid of him and gabbi.. both are a country mile better then anything we have currently 

ironically  for a manager that was so anti talent and only interested in off the ball rubbish.. we still couldn’t defend for shit 

Boufal was crap at automisms and crap against the ball. No way was he going to fit into a Ralph’s team. 

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Let’s hope Southampton inserted a decent sell on clause in the transfer deal…..

This is Saints though……😳

The 27-year-old Moroccan has made the switch to the Ligue 1 team on a free transfer, with Saints retaining a sell-on fee clause.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-10-05/announcement-sofiane-boufal-transfer-southampton-football-club-angers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Redmond, on separate occasions, scored eight and nine goals in all comps, in a single season. Boufal either scored one or two. I don't even rate Redmond but he clearly contributed far more overall.

• Like 1