Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Maybe the highlight(s)....were the entire four year contract he signed at £65K /week ....and only getting to start 48 games for Saints. Another Nicola Cortese coup. :blush:

There is something seriously wrong about signing a player for £12 million, who is subsequently ignored by 3 successive managers, and then walked away for £nothing.

Who were these 3 successive managers who ignored him? Only Koeman "ignored" him by sending him out on loan twice. He played 48 times under Adkins and Poch and scored 8 goals, this was despite his injuries (most notably his dead leg which was still affecting him last season). He's gone now but people should stop peddling nonsense.

You can criticise the club for its "springboard" policy, but realistically would we be able to sign players like Boufal and Højbjerg without said policy

Pierre spoke openly about "using us" and now we have Boufal talking about using us as a springboard before he's even signed.

I guess the club is selling this process to players as a convincer to sign

Is it a bad thing?

Nope, it's a good thing.

You can criticise the club for its "springboard" policy, but realistically would we be able to sign players like Boufal and Højbjerg without said policy

Pierre spoke openly about "using us" and now we have Boufal talking about using us as a springboard before he's even signed.

Is it a bad thing?

No it is not a bad thing as we get players in who want to improve not dead beats who want to earn loads

Is it a bad thing?

It is the perfect model for a club of our size.

Nope, it's a good thing.

No it is not a bad thing as we get players in who want to improve not dead beats who want to earn loads

I agree guys, problem is you have to then accept that you will always lose your best players and be stuck with the ones that didn't quite work out as planned. The benefit of our policy is the difference (£)

Gaston and Osvaldo for example cost us £30-£40m (Transfer fees and wages) and would effectively wipe out any profits made from 4 or 5 player sales.

I think the philosophy is sound but you need a success rate of 70%+ to make it worthwhile.

The philosophy also prevents us becoming established top 6 as we need to almost restart each summer.

I agree guys, problem is you have to then accept that you will always lose your best players and be stuck with the ones that didn't quite work out as planned. The benefit of our policy is the difference (£)

Gaston and Osvaldo for example cost us £30-£40m (Transfer fees and wages) and would effectively wipe out any profits made from 4 or 5 player sales.

I think the philosophy is sound but you need a success rate of 70%+ to make it worthwhile.

The philosophy also prevents us becoming established top 6 as we need to almost restart each summer.

It is fine as long as it is phased and planned, which is why the longer contracts give the club breathing space in this respect. Most sensible fans understand the policy and where we are as a club.

Not necessarily, if you keep bringing in promising players, they prove themselves and then we reinvest part of the money, its not a problem. Only becomes a problem when you dont reinvest and you just lose your best players.

If we can could this with some promising youth products and a few older heads, then happy days. We're never going to be a top top club without huge investment, so this is about the best we can hope for.

I bet we use it as part of our sales pitch to potential players. We just show them the roll call of players that have passed through the club. It's a pretty impressive list. Compare it with other clubs of our stature and it's even more impressive.

The club is excellent at highlighting the positive side of the philosophy and to a large extent the media focus on the positives - Saints bought player X for £10m and sold him for £20m. Sounds great and easy

Like I say it has its downsides and we don’t hear much about how it blocks our potential or about the losses made on Gastón Ramírez, Emmanuel Mayuka, potentially Jay Rodríguez, Vegard Forren, Steve De Ridder, Daniel Osvaldo, Tadanari Lee, Florin Gardos ect ect

Is it a bad thing?

8.5/10. Slight over rotation when entering the water.

And here you have it ! We get young hungry players keen to make a name for themselves not has been son high wages happy to sit on the bench and see out there career

We have worked hard to create saints as a destination for young ambitious players we get two to three years out of them and sell at a profit

An ideal strategy for a club of our size and wealth and it enables us to slowly eat away at the commercial advantages of our bigger rivals and gradually increase our wage bills too and all in a stable financial set up

And here you have it ! We get young hungry players keen to make a name for themselves not has been son high wages happy to sit on the bench and see out there career

We have worked hard to create saints as a destination for young ambitious players we get two to three years out of them and sell at a profit

An ideal strategy for a club of our size and wealth and it enables us to slowly eat away at the commercial advantages of our bigger rivals and gradually increase our wage bills too and all in a stable financial set up

and yet every summer is a meltdown....

and yet every summer is a meltdown....
thats all fine as long as we do get players in. None of us know what the numbers will be until the window closes but it does seem odd that we sell unfashionable quickly without having the replacement with the pen at the ready to sign for us.

It is sad that one f the new ones looks to have a bad injury (fingers crossed not) and so we have not gone forward but a half step back.

I assume that Les and Co. have got all the players lined up and others doing the work if he is at the cup draw

thats all fine as long as we do get players in. None of us know what the numbers will be until the window closes but it does seem odd that we sell unfashionable quickly without having the replacement with the pen at the ready to sign for us.

It is sad that one f the new ones looks to have a bad injury (fingers crossed not) and so we have not gone forward but a half step back.

I assume that Les and Co. have got all the players lined up and others doing the work if he is at the cup draw

If we didn't sell them we wouldn't get the new also until the young players see the gap and know they will be playing they are not going to sign there is always an element of chicken and egg

We also need space for academy players too otherwise the best will not seek us out so not everyone is replaced on the market

Well I still have bad memories of Toby on his way permanently to St Marys to sign for us... only for it all to go t1ts up at the last minute. So forgive me if I feel a little uneasy with the Sofiane Boufal deal before it's actually done and he's pictured

on the OS sitting next to Les and sporting a shiny new wrist-watch!

Was thinking about this earlier and have come to the below conclusion.

Our targets are predominantly going to be the targets for the top 6 sides in Germany, Spain and England and perhaps we need to wait to see whose available once the big clubs finish there shopping?

We are essentially targetting those players who just miss out on the BIG / Dream move and offering them a 2nd chance and springboard.

Just my thoughts but explains why we are typically late doing our business

Our targets are predominantly going to be the targets for the top 6 sides in Germany, Spain and England and perhaps we need to wait to see whose available once the big clubs finish there shopping?

We are essentially targetting those players who just miss out on the BIG / Dream move and offering them a 2nd chance and springboard.

could be. There wont be many players left to buy after WHU have done their business lol

Would have thought that it was pretty apparent that's what we've been doing for a number of seasons. Okay sometimes we hit lucky and get our targets in early but most are waiting to see which big teams their agents can get interested first - we're just there picking up the bones (many of which are nice and juicy).

Hello, LOSC fan here!

Sofiane Boufal is a bad player, Junior Tallo is better. You should buy Tallo.

Please.

OH MY GOD PLEASE BUY TALLO. :(

:D

Excellent first post, and a good way to ingratiate yourself to our fans!

Can you give us a small summary of what to expect from Boufal please? All the signs are that he is a very good player.

Who were these 3 successive managers who ignored him? Only Koeman "ignored" him by sending him out on loan twice. He played 48 times under Adkins and Poch and scored 8 goals, this was despite his injuries (most notably his dead leg which was still affecting him last season). He's gone now but people should stop peddling nonsense.

Umm..although I grant you that Adkins tried to play him as often as possible (in between injuries), we'll have to wait for Nigel Adkins autobiography to hear the whole story, but somehow I got the impression (rightly/wrongly) than GR wasn't his choice, but as the club's record signing he was forced to play him. Especially at £65K / week.

Ramirez certainly didn't impress Pochettino enough to be selected regularly and was subbed in almost every games he started, after which Poch put him on the bench more than 20 times and only then used him sparingly. Hardly a vote of confidence.

Certainly Gaston didn't do enough to impress Koeman who (as you pointed out) loaned him out twice for longer periods during his two seasons as manager.

This may be seen a condemnation of Koeman (we were quite happy with his selections upto the end of last season), so RK must have had a firm opinion of Ramirez and didn't want him.

Edited by david in sweden

Hello, LOSC fan here!

Please.

If you are an LOSC Fan

And you want us to buy Tallo and not Boufal.

Because Tallo is better in your eyes

Yeh right.

It's like us trying to convince Liverpool not to buy Mane but buy JWP because he's 'better'!

If you are an LOSC Fan

Yeh right.

It's like us trying to convince Liverpool not to buy Mane but buy JWP because he's 'better'!

Nice work Sherlock. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I still have bad memories of Toby on his way permanently to St Marys to sign for us... only for it all to go t1ts up at the last minute. So forgive me if I feel a little uneasy with the Sofiane Boufal deal before it's actually done and he's pictured

on the OS sitting next to Les and sporting a shiny new wrist-watch!

...not to mention matching earlobes

Boufal is the best dribbler I've seen in Lille, he is a much better dribbler that Hazard or Payet. He's just a ****ing magician. He has a good vision, good passing skills and a he is excellent at finishing. He adapted very quickly to the team. It's good for him to have a French coach in PL because he appears to be quite introverted off the field.

His big problem is he was wounded several times in a season and a half. In Lille we don't know if it's bad luck or a real physical problem. Also, he is sometimes a little selfish but it's pretty rare.

Hello, LOSC fan here!

Please.

love it. Welcome to the forum and if we do finish the deal for Boufal, sorry and thanks, we Saints fans know all too well how it feels on the other end.

If you are an LOSC Fan

Yeh right.

Why would we have tried to convince Liverpool jwp is better, if we think he is better, they might of bought him instead of mane and then we would have lost a betterer player ?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk