Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club

JakkoUK

Well.. what a debut from the lad. With the way he played you would of thought he had been playing in the premier league for years! He played with tenacity, purpose and belief. Something we have lacked completely in recent games.

Question is, does Puel carry on playing him in the starting 11? I think so. But who gets dropped, when Tadic and Boufal are back?

Well.. what a debut from the lad. With the way he played you would of thought he had been playing in the premier league for years! He played with tenacity, purpose and belief. Something we have lacked completely in recent games.

Question is, does Puel carry on playing him in the starting 11? I think so. But who gets dropped, when Tadic and Boufal are back?

We will take it steady with him, no doubt.

He'll be added gently to the squad like olive oil into mayonnaise.

Looks like one hell of an option though.

Based on today's performance I say continue to play him. let the others fight for the place.

Perhaps easy to suggest after an initial good showing, but he needs to be handled carefully and not thrown in too much too soon. Such immediate elevation to the front line didn't work with Hesketh did it ?

Having said that the names Sims has been mentioned a few times in the past as a special talent.

Perhaps easy to suggest after an initial good showing, but he needs to be handled carefully and not thrown in too much too soon. Such immediate elevation to the front line didn't work with Hesketh did it ?

Having said that the names Sims has been mentioned a few times in the past as a special talent.

Hesketh wasn't given a chance to follow up and has since got injured.

Sims is 19, not 16/17. We've had first team regulars younger than that, and not too long ago.

I think that was the best debut from a young Saints player I can remember. Thought his decision making was very good. I do not think any one can doubt what an inspired selection Puel has been now. Do you think Koeman would have made that selection.

Another player we have that can hold down a place in the premier league.

His play off the ball (his movement/runs) were excellent, and showed that he has a football brain on his shoulders.

It's refreshing to see a manager throw in a young player rather than playing a seasoned pro. I love MP for doing that, and Puel has put Mcqueen and Sims into the limelight this season when they were nowhere near last year. Credit to his management.

I was bemused when I read on the BBC site that Koeman didn't know of Sims'. I think it was more a case of that he didn't want to know of him. Everton fans are moaning about him not playing the youth and persisting with the pro's, so we're not alone in that.

Take a bow son that was a very accomplished performance by any standards. I'm guessing he showed up well against a strong Chelsea 23s side and was given his chance off the back of that as it possibly showed that he could play at a higher level. Played very intelligently and made some astute runs to receive the ball, never hid and was always available. Put in a few tackles, took some hits and showed that he is not afraid to take opponents on and got into a few goalscoring positions. Not forgetting his assist for the winning goal. An unexpected bonus to the first team squad for me as I didn't know a lot about him prior to watching him today.

I think that was the best debut from a young Saints player I can remember. Thought his decision making was very good. I do not think any one can doubt what an inspired selection Puel has been now. Do you think Koeman would have made that selection.

I was at the Millwall game when Gareth Bale made his debut at 16. For me that was the best debut that I have seen. But Josh Sims had an excellent debut and really didn't look out of place at all. Really good to see Puel giving him a game. Thought JWP had a decent game as well, although the less said about his miss the better

I know there are a fair few posters that follow the youth teams....... did anyone see this coming? As in Sims being so close to the first team.

Koeman has just said he wasn't aware of him - Which kinda makes him look more of a pr!ck in my opinion- but what has happened that made Puel throw him in?

Delighted that he did and so glad young Josh grabbed it with both hands.

Really happy for him. Has had to wait for his chance but took it when it came.

Anyone who watches the youth teams will know he's had the ability for a good few years but he's now added a bit more strength and game management to his play.

I'd like to say I can't believe Koeman said that, but the snippets I heard from people who were in and around the youth team when he was manager make it more than plausible.

I know there are a fair few posters that follow the youth teams....... did anyone see this coming? As in Sims being so close to the first team.

Koeman has just said he wasn't aware of him - Which kinda makes him look more of a pr!ck in my opinion- but what has happened that made Puel throw him in?

Delighted that he did and so glad young Josh grabbed it with both hands.

Yes, I've been watching him for years and always thought he could be one of the best players our academy has ever produced. At first he was incredibly skilful but tiny. Then he had a growth spurt and that affected his form for a while. He's always been a couple of years ahead of his age group. He's played for England at all the youth levels and he's scored some spectacular goals too so we've got that to look forward to. Josh Sims will be one of the Southampton greats.

Yes, I've been watching him for years and always thought he could be one of the best players our academy has ever produced. At first he was incredibly skilful but tiny. Then he had a growth spurt and that affected his form for a while. He's always been a couple of years ahead of his age group. He's played for England at all the youth levels and he's scored some spectacular goals too so we've got that to look forward to. Josh Sims will be one of the Southampton greats.

Thanks for that - Much appreciated. Feel a bit guilty I wasn't aware of him.

What I do know is that it is all about taking your chances when they come - I think it is fair to say that Sam and Josh have both done that - Buzzing.

Really happy for him. Has had to wait for his chance but took it when it came.

Anyone who watches the youth teams will know he's had the ability for a good few years but he's now added a bit more strength and game management to his play.

I'd like to say I can't believe Koeman said that, but the snippets I heard from people who were in and around the youth team when he was manager make it more than plausible.

Apparently Koeman hasn't been to many Everton U23 games either, despite their forum imploring him to look there for fresh energy. I've got no problem with RK, had 2 great seasons with him in charge and better to receive £5m than pay it off because we were binning someone unsuccessful. Having said that, the breakthroughs by first McQueen and now Sims do show why the board and RK had a difference in approach that was widening, hence Guan's 'new direction' posts.

What's happened to Hesketh by the way? Outstanding in the league cup v Palace, had a mare in Israel and then disappeared again? Injury?

Apparently Koeman hasn't been to many Everton U23 games either, despite their forum imploring him to look there for fresh energy. I've got no problem with RK, had 2 great seasons with him in charge and better to receive £5m than pay it off because we were binning someone unsuccessful. Having said that, the breakthroughs by first McQueen and now Sims do show why the board and RK had a difference in approach that was widening, hence Guan's 'new direction' posts.

What's happened to Hesketh by the way? Outstanding in the league cup v Palace, had a mare in Israel and then disappeared again? Injury?

I think Hesketh still has an injury.

Sims was excellent and really took his chance, which I think only came as Tadic and Hesketh are injured and Davis and Boufal ill.

That's Sims, Hesketh and McQueen who've all broken though with a few others lurking. Looking good, and a real reflection on Koeman's lack of knowledge and trust.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Here you go....

Koeman: "I wasn't aware of Josh Sims when I was here and he is not my problem - I work for Everton, not Southampton." #EFC #SaintsFC

Interestingly, to back up what you've said about the kids not liking Ronald was a tweet earlier by Simon Peach who re-tweeted a chap who I assume is Sam McQueen's dad: "So glad @RonaldKoeman left"

Yeah I'm not getting Redmond he has the pace and skills to be a decent player but he seems to lack the confidence to just turn and run at the opposition Sims on the other hand didn't seem to lack confidence at all.

He's got no left foot. At all. Would rather we had someone else there in his position

Well, Puel works closely with coaches at youth level and especially the U23 team, which is essentially the pathway for the first team.

Looking at the Prague game we lacked pace and confidence, this lad has both in abundance and is in form. It made sense to play him, Boufal is very talented but not quite adapting as we hoped just yet, he will eventually.

What it shows me is that we should be glad of Puel throwing players like Sims in, Jake Hesketh also performed brilliantly against Crystal Palace earlier in the season, lets not put too much pressure on the lad, he won't produce games like that every week, but we should get behind what the club is trying to do instead of certain posters berating Puel for giving youth a chance.

Sims was excellent and has a great future ahead of him, and there will be more players in that U23 team thrown in, and I expect Jack Stephens to also have more game time soon instead of Yoshida, the one disappointing player from the U23 was Afamola (sp) the striker, he looked like a League One player, lacked a bit of raw strength and ability.

Well, Puel works closely with coaches at youth level and especially the U23 team, which is essentially the pathway for the first team.

Looking at the Prague game we lacked pace and confidence, this lad has both in abundance and is in form. It made sense to play him, Boufal is very talented but not quite adapting as we hoped just yet, he will eventually.

What it shows me is that we should be glad of Puel throwing players like Sims in, Jake Hesketh also performed brilliantly against Crystal Palace earlier in the season, lets not put too much pressure on the lad, he won't produce games like that every week, but we should get behind what the club is trying to do instead of certain posters berating Puel for giving youth a chance.

Sims was excellent and has a great future ahead of him, and there will be more players in that U23 team thrown in, and I expect Jack Stephens to also have more game time soon instead of Yoshida, the one disappointing player from the U23 was Afamola (sp) the striker, he looked like a League One player, lacked a bit of raw strength and ability.

Why Yoshida is having a good season.

Too far back to remember Bale's first Prem game; Luke Shaw looked pretty good on debut but young Sims showed speed; impressive running into space, good touch and a willingness to mix it from the off. Has to retain his place v Palace doesn't he?

Too far back to remember Bale's first Prem game; Luke Shaw looked pretty good on debut but young Sims showed speed; impressive running into space, good touch and a willingness to mix it from the off. Has to retain his place v Palace doesn't he?

Sorry to come over all MLG, but Luke Shaw's debut was a 10 minute sub appearance away at Millwall in the cup where he barely touched the ball.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club