Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club

JakkoUK

Really happy for him. Has had to wait for his chance but took it when it came.

Anyone who watches the youth teams will know he's had the ability for a good few years but he's now added a bit more strength and game management to his play.

I'd like to say I can't believe Koeman said that, but the snippets I heard from people who were in and around the youth team when he was manager make it more than plausible.

Agree with this, I go to quite a few u23 games, Sims was superb against Man Utd in 2-0 win earlier this season and has grown to add an element of strength to his game that wasn't there previously. He was the stand out player against Crawley the other week and against Chelsea's ridiculously experienced u23 side last week.

Hope he can continue to progress will give us another excellent option if Tadic is injured and when Boufal is at the AFCON.

Any news on Hesketh's injury?

Took my nipper up to St Mary's to get the players autograph a football at lunchtime yesterday. In amongst all the Range Rovers pulling into the car park, a somewhat normal Ford of some sort pulled in with a young bearded lad getting out.

'Who's that?' I asked my son, 'Is he using the wrong car park?

He walked down the line signing stuff & I had to check that my nipper actually wanted this 'strangers' autograph

'He might be famous one day', my son said ..... 4 hours later he was :)

Sorry to come over all MLG, but Luke Shaw's debut was a 10 minute sub appearance away at Millwall in the cup where he barely touched the ball.

No, that's ok; I was thinking of Shaw's first Prem appearance - can't remember the opposition, but he was really good - I take your point about the Cup game being his first Saint's senior start.

I know there are a fair few posters that follow the youth teams....... did anyone see this coming? As in Sims being so close to the first team.

Koeman has just said he wasn't aware of him - Which kinda makes him look more of a pr!ck in my opinion- but what has happened that made Puel throw him in?

Delighted that he did and so glad young Josh grabbed it with both hands.

I knew he'd be a hell of a talent since I saw him in the 6-0 destruction of the Pompey youth team.

I believe that "The9" bloke once described him as the next big thing and "Lallana with pace" (this was about 3 years ago and he was a lot less twisty-turny yesterday).

So far that makes up for the Billy Sharp and Jake Thomson things... :D

Edited by The9

No, that's ok; I was thinking of Shaw's first Prem appearance - can't remember the opposition, but he was really good - I take your point about the Cup game being his first Saint's senior start.

Fairly sure Shaw's first start was away to Stevenage in the League Cup, and he was bloody awful defensively despite putting in a couple of good forward runs with the ball. He was a LOT better in his first Prem game shortly after, and there was a story that he'd been ill in the week - which I think came from Pochettino.

After the bit in the first half when Sims tried to skip inside and slipped over their player, which led to Everton getting a decent chance, I said to my dad "he looks quick I wish he'd just knock it past the defender in that situation and go round him, their defence are all slow". Then he finally did it in that fantastic run near the end, so gutted he couldn't create something out of it but it was probably a mix of tiredness and indecisiveness. What a performance, great moment to be part of that standing ovation as he left the field.

Fairly sure Shaw's first start was away to Stevenage in the League Cup, and he was bloody awful defensively despite putting in a couple of good forward runs with the ball. He was a LOT better in his first Prem game shortly after, and there was a story that he'd been ill in the week - which I think came from Pochettino.

Seeing as he wasn't the manager at the time, that would have been impressive! :)

Shaw came off the bench against Milwall in the FA Cup and looked like a lost boy.

He made his first start against Stevenage in the League Cup and looked like a lost boy. The game was, however, notable for Danny Butterfield at centre back, an excellent Jason Puncheon long-range strike and a hilarious Tadanari Lee goal from a wrongly given free-kick for a back-pass taken miles away from the "offence" by Chaplow whilst their keeper was out of the goal. Ben Reeves also scored. Adkins was the manager.

Then, when Shaw got his Prem debut about three months later he suddenly looked solid and physically impressive.

7-0. I'm enjoying my levels of pedantry today!

Always worth having another look at that, but Sims doesn't get himself on the score sheet.

Gallagher and Hesketh excelled that day. Gallagher is on fire at Blackburn and Puel must be licking his lips at the prospect of adding him to his fellow academy mates that are featuring currently. The time might come in the not to distant future when we could field half a team comprising academy graduates and them not looking at all out of place. Despite Koeman's opinion that they were not up to it, the Saints academy conveyor belt is once more producing the goods.

'Josh Sims? I was not aware of him' or similar words uttered by Koeman? How many other stars of the future that he was not aware of have we in the Academy?

It's a good question. I think a lot of us bought into Koeman's assessment of the Academy running dry of talent, but the emergence of McQueen and Sims and the re-emergence of Reed and Hesketh remind us of the short term thinking Koeman has and his post-match interview just highlights that.

I thought he'd be the next one before he got injured and then I thought he'd lost it. Maybe just took a bit of time for him to recover. Think there's quite a lot to come from him and suggests we'd best not write off JRod too soon (at all; with him it's a mentality problem).

• 3 years later...
9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So many calls for him to play here/be in the team etc, but I think the fact he's going to Doncaster says it all.

He's not a top level player and never will be.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was “crap! The B-team has lost its top scorer!” - Which - at 23, is probably not where he should be.  Needs a really good run at a club lower down to get himself back on track.

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So many calls for him to play here/be in the team etc, but I think the fact he's going to Doncaster says it all.

He's not a top level player and never will be.

Based on a couple of half decent sub appearances. Completely ignoring the fact he's not been selected by a succession of managers and hardly set the world on fire with his loan spells anywhere. He'll have a reasonable league one or championship career but not premier league level. He's nearly 24, if he was going to make it he would have by now.

Ralph was very positive about Sims him after his second half showing versus Spurs in March 2019....

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-03-10/ralph-hasenhuttl-academy-contribution-southampton-tottenham-premier-league-1819

The second-half cameo of Sims, pulling on a Southampton jersey for the first time since 14 April of last year, shifted the momentum back in the home side’s favour and suggested at a influential role for the young winger between now and the season’s end.

“I was very happy with Josh’s performance,” the Saints boss added. “It was exactly what I wanted to see from him. He is always attacking and has good solutions on the ball, making very few mistakes in possession. He was really aggressive and has speed so he can really hurt defences.”

I wonder what happened thereafter for Ralph to go from singing his praises to seemingly not rating him?

Edited by trousers

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Ralph was very positive about Sims him after his second half showing versus Spurs in March 2019....

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-03-10/ralph-hasenhuttl-academy-contribution-southampton-tottenham-premier-league-1819

I wonder what happened thereafter for Ralph to go from singing his praises to seemingly not rating him?

I think the fact that you're referring back to half a game 18 months ago probably gives you the answer. I believe that game was also before that dreadful first half at Newcastle, following which Sims came off at h/t.

I was one thinking he should have come into consideration at start of season given lack of options on wing.

now we’ve got players fit, Walcott in, It’s good he’s getting a move. Hope he can make an impression and get a full time deal there. 

unfortunate that his development was mucked about by our succession of bad managers as he showed some bright moments.

ralph clearly decided from day 1 his focus was on the next crop of youngsters.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I still think there's talent there. He'll play in the Prem again. 

No Djenepo or Armstrong this weekend, so we're going to see Smallbone on the wing again. Him or Sims? 

Walcott 

And I bet he doesn’t. 

Edited by Appy

• Lighthouse changed the title to Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club