Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club

JakkoUK

7 hours ago, trousers said:

Ralph was very positive about Sims him after his second half showing versus Spurs in March 2019....

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-03-10/ralph-hasenhuttl-academy-contribution-southampton-tottenham-premier-league-1819

I wonder what happened thereafter for Ralph to go from singing his praises to seemingly not rating him?

Probably the fact he’s not done anything in the 18 months since that game 

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I still think there's talent there. He'll play in the Prem again. 

No Djenepo or Armstrong this weekend, so we're going to see Smallbone on the wing again. Him or Sims? 

Smallbone is the player who should be going out on loan.

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Probably the fact he’s not done anything in the 18 months since that game 

Granted, but isn't that a bit 'chicken and egg' though? I agree that he "hasn't done anything" in the 18 months since, but that's precisely where my curiosity lies...i.e. *why* hasn't he done anything since then? Given Ralph seemed to really rate him (caveat: yes, it was a reaction after only half a game - noted), I'm just pondering upon why he wasn't given more opportunities thereafter (caveat: yes, he had a poor next game - noted). I guess the answer could simply be along the lines of: "Whilst Ralph was impressed with his performance versus Spurs, and made comments to the effect that Sims had a bright future at the club, his opinion could have changed fairly rapidly thereafter due to Sims regressing in training/U23 games etc. Or maybe an attitude issue came to the fore over the ensuing weeks. Or... etc"

Anyway, enough of my aimless pondering. Perhaps I should keep my curiosity to myself rather than post it on the internet for scrutiny :)

Edited by trousers

56 minutes ago, trousers said:

Granted, but isn't that a bit 'chicken and egg' though? I agree that he "hasn't done anything" in the 18 months since, but that's precisely where my curiosity lies...i.e. *why* hasn't he done anything since then? Given Ralph seemed to really rate him (caveat: yes, it was a reaction after only half a game - noted), I'm just pondering upon why he wasn't given more opportunities thereafter (caveat: yes, he had a poor next game - noted). I guess the answer could simply be along the lines of: "Whilst Ralph was impressed with his performance versus Spurs, and made comments to the effect that Sims had a bright future at the club, his opinion could have changed fairly rapidly thereafter due to Sims regressing in training/U23 games etc. Or maybe an attitude issue came to the fore over the ensuing weeks. Or... etc"

Anyway, enough of my aimless pondering. Perhaps I should keep my curiosity to myself rather than post it on the internet for scrutiny :)

I always remember the first time i saw Steve De Ridder,  It was at Peterborough away in our championship season, he came on with 20 minutes to go, ran and ran and ran, leading to a lot of our fans thinking we had uncovered the new Terry Paine. Sadly aside from a goal at Reading away later that season that was as good as it got for Steve De Ridder. Although Adkins seemed to really rate him "Steve is an attacking player who has played on both flanks and up top and has the ability to make things happen" (caveat yes i know he was bigging up a new signing in true Adkins style) and despite the clamour from our fan base for him to play and the ingenious chant of "Steeeeeeve" our great fans came up with it quickly became apparent that the odd bit of running around a lot as a 20 minutes sub did not a quality player make. He didn't play that much despite the curiosity of our fan base and the 'chicken and egg' that he didn't start enough so didn't get the chance to improve we now refer to him as that guy that even youtube made look good. I'm kind of thinking we might remember Josh Sims the same way.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I always remember the first time i saw Steve De Ridder,  It was at Peterborough away in our championship season, he came on with 20 minutes to go, ran and ran and ran, leading to a lot of our fans thinking we had uncovered the new Terry Paine. Sadly aside from a goal at Reading away later that season that was as good as it got for Steve De Ridder. Although Adkins seemed to really rate him "Steve is an attacking player who has played on both flanks and up top and has the ability to make things happen" (caveat yes i know he was bigging up a new signing in true Adkins style) and despite the clamour from our fan base for him to play and the ingenious chant of "Steeeeeeve" our great fans came up with it quickly became apparent that the odd bit of running around a lot as a 20 minutes sub did not a quality player make. He didn't play that much despite the curiosity of our fan base and the 'chicken and egg' that he didn't start enough so didn't get the chance to improve we now refer to him as that guy that even youtube made look good. I'm kind of thinking we might remember Josh Sims the same way.

Hate to go all MLG on you, but Peterborough away was the third to last game of the season. And De Ridder didn't play.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Hate to go all MLG on you, but Peterborough away was the third to last game of the season. And De Ridder didn't play.

Sorry i dont know what came over me, it was Leicester away early in the season. 🙈

Edited by Turkish

4 hours ago, Appy said:

And Sims should be leaving the club permanently 

Indeed he should. Some people do have weird expectations of our academy products. The academy has a really good record but there are inevitable fallow years in which we don't quite get Premier Division material coming through. Reed is another one. I don't think its a bad thing to produce players good enough to earn us a few pounds and have a decent Championship or Division 1 career. I understand Sims is a decent lad and I hope that he finds his level but he has certainly had enough chances with us and the sad truth is that he hasn't hacked it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Appy said:

And Sims should be leaving the club permanently 

His contract ends next June anyway so I assume he’ll have one more half season loan in January to follow this loan and then be a free agent.

Thanks always to Josh for setting up ‘that goal’ to get us to a cup final!

I'm not just saying these because he's doing well but I've always wondered why he hasn't had more chances with us. People have said he's barely done anything but how many games has he actually played a significant amount of time with us? 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not just saying these because he's doing well but I've always wondered why he hasn't had more chances with us. People have said he's barely done anything but how many games has he actually played a significant amount of time with us? 

I saw more than enough from Sims at Saints to know he's better than a L1 player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Did he have a long run of poor form? 

He always seemed to have a good cameo and then when he did get rare starts he was poor.

He is quick, and will certainly trouble the kind of defenders he will come up against in L1 but I've never thought he was tidy enough on the ball for PL level and didn't really have much guile about - just pace. He said so himself in his interview at Doncaster, that he has been working on not just relying on pace which worked as a youngster.

Lets see how he does over 3 months. If he forces his way into contention here then fair play, but he did nothing on loan at Reading so need to see form over a longer period at L1 level before getting excited by him.

Edited by Dusic

Just now, hypochondriac said:

More like a long run of poor opportunity!     JS strikes me as a player good enough to make an impact at Prem level (he has already) but hasn't been able to back it up consistently enough.

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

His 3 previous loan moves haven't quite worked out.  We know he's got talent & I'm really pleased to see him get off to a great start at Doncaster.

I'm not really bothered what league it's in - I just think it's important he stays fit & stays consistent.  Will do him the world of good.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd still like to see him as a backup option in the squad. The amount of dross we've had playing for us over the past two or three seasons it saddens me to think how few opportunities he actually had. 

I kind of see that the other way around. If he was struggling to get a game ahead of Mané and Tadič I’d be more inclined to agree with you. The fact that he hasn’t been able to get even semi-regular football under four different managers, when the bar is set by Redmond and Boufal, probably says something.

51 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I kind of see that the other way around. If he was struggling to get a game ahead of Mané and Tadič I’d be more inclined to agree with you. The fact that he hasn’t been able to get even semi-regular football under four different managers, when the bar is set by Redmond and Boufal, probably says something.

But I think three of those managers were largely crap and I'm not sure I'd trust their judgement about player abilities. I don't know how much Ralph would have seen of him. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

But I think three of those managers were largely crap and I'm not sure I'd trust their judgement about player abilities. I don't know how much Ralph would have seen of him. 

To be honest, he'll be a decent Championship player. He seems a good guy, but already there are probably kids younger than him coming through that are equal or better.  I actually think Tella looks decent ... let's see. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

To be honest, he'll be a decent Championship player. He seems a good guy, but already there are probably kids younger than him coming through that are equal or better.  I actually think Tella looks decent ... let's see. 

I'm not denying that's the case I'm just saying it's a shame he has never had more than a handful of games to show either way. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not denying that's the case I'm just saying it's a shame he has never had more than a handful of games to show either way. 

I agree, it's unfortunate for him that the club was an utter sh*t show between Koeman and Hassenhuttl, with managers and leaders who were clueless.  If Sims was 18/19 NOW, then I think we'd see him more.

I absolutely get where you're coming from. 

On 16/10/2020 at 09:16, Turkish said:

I always remember the first time i saw Steve De Ridder,  It was at Peterborough away in our championship season, he came on with 20 minutes to go, ran and ran and ran, leading to a lot of our fans thinking we had uncovered the new Terry Paine. Sadly aside from a goal at Reading away later that season that was as good as it got for Steve De Ridder. Although Adkins seemed to really rate him "Steve is an attacking player who has played on both flanks and up top and has the ability to make things happen" (caveat yes i know he was bigging up a new signing in true Adkins style) and despite the clamour from our fan base for him to play and the ingenious chant of "Steeeeeeve" our great fans came up with it quickly became apparent that the odd bit of running around a lot as a 20 minutes sub did not a quality player make. He didn't play that much despite the curiosity of our fan base and the 'chicken and egg' that he didn't start enough so didn't get the chance to improve we now refer to him as that guy that even youtube made look good. I'm kind of thinking we might reme

Edited by sotonjoe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/14/serious-player-southampton-loanee-produces-yet-another-outstanding-display/

Apparently he's tearing up the league with Rovers. What should we do with him when his loan ends?

Extend his loan. He's 23 now and out of contract in the summer. We've not handled him brilliantly - with loans or games earlier on he'd have made progress by now. He's too good for league 1 but if he stays at Doncaster he'll get regular footy in a decent side and keep himself in the shop window. I suspect he'll end up in the championship and carve out a decent career. 

Edited by egg

• Lighthouse changed the title to Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club