Mario Lemina - Official: Loaned to Fulham

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Let's not judge him too harshly, if he really blossoms at Fulham in the PL he will still be our player. What's not to like. 

If he really blossoms at Fulham, they will probably stay up, at which point he's there's by default as per the agreement for £5m!

He won't though, so it's fine!

From Lemina's perspective, it is his best chance of securing another lucrative contract. Play well, make himself 'undroppable' and help keep them up and he gets a contract at Fulham. Even if they offered him a 3 year contract then it would be 2 years more on PL-level money than he'll get at Saints. Blow it and he'll go out on loan somewhere in Europe for the final year of his contract with Saints and after that he'll have to take the best that's on offer wherever he can - but it is very unlikely to be PL-level money. He clearly has no future at Saints - Ralph at least tried to re-integrate the skills Boufal has to offer into the squad, but Lemina has not been considered. I assume that Saints wouldn't be able to overturn the 'obligation to buy' even if Lemina did have a storming season with Fulham.

OK - let's start the predictions. How many starts will he make for Fulham? Not including substitute appearances. My guess - 14 appearances max. Fulham will either realise he's a waster or he'll pick up a mysterious injury.  Nearest guess wins a prize of a holiday for two to.........well nowhere at the moment due to Covid. 

I don't get to every Saints game, but I did get to see him "live" on several occasions and I honestly couldn't see what all the fuss was about him. Very frustrating player and lazy. Poor attitude. That said, the managers at the time, and style of football could hardly be described as motivational. It would have been interesting to see how he played under a manager like Ralph, not that he struck me as the sort to fit into Ralph's high press system. Obviously Ralph felt the same way.

Think lemina gets a bit too much unfair bashing on here of late.

case of player not playing suddenly becoming useless by the looks of it in most posters eyes.. before ralph exiled him (and lemina kind of burned his bridges) many posters on here regarded him as our best player and certainly best midfielder.

yes he had off games but was pretty decent and not really any worse then hoj in my opinion.

fulham may have got themselves a absolute steal 

14 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Think lemina gets a bit too much unfair bashing on here of late.

case of player not playing suddenly becoming useless by the looks of it in most posters eyes.. before ralph exiled him (and lemina kind of burned his bridges) many posters on here regarded him as our best player and certainly best midfielder.

yes he had off games but was pretty decent and not really any worse then hoj in my opinion.

fulham may have got themselves a absolute steal 

He's a talent for sure, but never applies that talent, he's probabaly had 4 good games for us...

West Brom away

Palace away

Man Utd home

Probably another I've missed. 

He deserves abuse for playing in an FA Cup Semi Final and wandering about like it was a pre-season friendly. Disgrace of a performance.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's a talent for sure, but never applies that talent, he's probabaly had 4 good games for us...

West Brom away

Palace away

Man Utd home

Probably another I've missed. 

He deserves abuse for playing in an FA Cup Semi Final and wandering about like it was a pre-season friendly. Disgrace of a performance.

I agree. Brilliant when he wants to play (played Pogba off the pitch) but might as well not be on the pitch when not bothered (which is most of the time).

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

How'd he get on?

From one of their MBs.

Mario Lemina – 6.
Solid debut. Touched the ball more than any other player at the base of midfield up to his subbing around the hour mark. Happier being the deeper of the two at the base of midfield. Decent showing before being subbed for TC.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

From one of their MBs.

Mario Lemina – 6.
Solid debut. Touched the ball more than any other player at the base of midfield up to his subbing around the hour mark. Happier being the deeper of the two at the base of midfield. Decent showing before being subbed for TC.

I find it weird that we have allowed Lemina and Reed to leave to a prem rival and haven't replaced either of them yet. I woild suggest that Fulham currently have more options in cm than us now largely because they have two of our players. 

54 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I find it weird that we have allowed Lemina and Reed to leave to a prem rival and haven't replaced either of them yet. I woild suggest that Fulham currently have more options in cm than us now largely because they have two of our players. 

I find it weird how people are bleating on that we have weakened the squad because we've let two players go who haven't played a game for us for over a year, one of them not for 3 years. Of course we need to replace Hojbjerg, that's obvious but not sure how we've weakened last years squad by selling players who weren't here last year anyway. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I find it weird how people are bleating on that we have weakened the squad because we've let two players go who haven't played a game for us for over a year, one of them not for 3 years. Of course we need to replace Hojbjerg, that's obvious but not sure how we've weakened last years squad by selling players who weren't here last year anyway. 

I don't think we have weakened last years squad by letting Lemina and Reed go. My point is that we were fortunate that we got through last year with the limited cm options that we had given that both of the aforementioned were out on loan. I think our transfer business often leaves the impression that we are looking way down our list after missing out on many of our first choices and we leave ourselves very light in certain areas (cb when we sold vvd for example). The guff about wanting to work with a small squad is pretty much just spin to cover the fact that we can't afford much. 

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think we have weakened last years squad by letting Lemina and Reed go. My point is that we were fortunate that we got through last year with the limited cm options that we had given that both of the aforementioned were out on loan. I think our transfer business often leaves the impression that we are looking way down our list after missing out on many of our first choices and we leave ourselves very light in certain areas (cb when we sold vvd for example). The guff about wanting to work with a small squad is pretty much just spin to cover the fact that we can't afford much. 

Going back to your previous post, there’s nothing weird about any of it. We know we got through last season with a thin squad and the reasons for it. Nothing is going to change for at least the next couple of seasons until we cut the wage bill down and we will continue to try and survive in this league at minimal outlay.

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Going back to your previous post, there’s nothing weird about any of it. We know we got through last season with a thin squad and the reasons for it. Nothing is going to change for at least the next couple of seasons until we cut the wage bill down and we will continue to try and survive in this league at minimal outlay.

and for that to happen we need to shift the deadwood like Reed, Lemina, Boufal, now we are people are moaning we are weakening the squad, it's hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

and for that to happen we need to shift the deadwood like Reed, Lemina, Boufal, now we are people are moaning we are weakening the squad, it's hilarious. 

Again, I don't think selling Reed and Lemina to Fulham is weakening the squad. I do think it's reducing our current potential options for this season whilst strengthening a rival though. That obviously changes if we do bring in the required midfield strengthening. 

2 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Lemina Reed and Boufal would have been a far better option on the bench than what we had last night ! 

That was my point. I totally understand selling them if they aren't in our plans but someone like Reed especially it's galling to see a team like Fulham having more options in midfield than we currently have. We go into every season over the last few years with gaping holes in our team and we've been quite lucky with injuries but that luck will run out eventually. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That was my point. I totally understand selling them if they aren't in our plans but someone like Reed especially it's galling to see a team like Fulham having more options in midfield than we currently have. We go into every season over the last few years with gaping holes in our team and we've been quite lucky with injuries but that luck will run out eventually. 

This year its the turn of gaping holes in midfield ...and with Boufal gone no creativity whatsover!

7 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

This year its the turn of gaping holes in midfield ...and with Boufal gone no creativity whatsover!

I think we will get in a cm. Probably a youngster with potential. You're right though, we really need an option that can change a game. 

What I find incredibly disappointing is that Lemina played under Bielsa at Marseille for 2 years, was one of his linchpins in center midfield. Marseille were one of the best pressing teams so saying Mario doesn’t fit Ralph’s style of play is a load of bollox.

It was Bielsa’s departure from Marseille that pushed Mario to Juventus, he admitted that years later.

I’m sure personalities clashed between Mario and Ralph and that is a shame because he is exactly what we need in center midfield.

He will take Reed s place in center mid for Fulham and will forge a nice partnership with Zambo Anguissa, that I can guarantee you as he is a better footballer than Reed.

• 3 weeks later...

What are the rules on loan deals?

fulham now have:

Lemina and RLC from premier league teams

Lookman, Aina, Areola and Anderson from overseas teams

6 loans, surely they aren’t all allowed in match day squad are they?!

• 2 weeks later...