Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

Still think that there is a decent footballer in there somewhere, but his attitude was always terrible.  Always blaming everyone else, and not being prepared to put the hard graft in and learn his trade.  We are well rid.  If he is finally growing up and Saints get at least a bit of the money back, then all the better.  No way would he ever fit in a RH team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Still think that there is a decent footballer in there somewhere, but his attitude was always terrible.  Always blaming everyone else, and not being prepared to put the hard graft in and learn his trade.  We are well rid.  If he is finally growing up and Saints get at least a bit of the money back, then all the better.  No way would he ever fit in a RH team.

Hoedt is a very good player. His problems were that he lacked concentration and he was an arrogant tosser, a legend in his own mind. He would be our best central defender if he was able to do something about these two problems, especially the concentration. He will never play for us again, but will probably do very well at Lazio and probably go on to better things in the future. The sooner he is gone the better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Hoedt is a very good player. His problems were that he lacked concentration and he was an arrogant tosser, a legend in his own mind. He would be our best central defender if he was able to do something about these two problems, especially the concentration. He will never play for us again, but will probably do very well at Lazio and probably go on to better things in the future. The sooner he is gone the better. 

I think that's a stretch. He certainly has ability and technically is not as bad as many on here have made out, but in reality he's no better than Jack Stephens.

He's not terrible, but would switch off, thought he is better than he is, and didn't apply himself, similar to Lemina.  Also just not sure he suited the premier league, or the way we play. Got a decent left foot.

It's a good value signing for Lazio for £5m if thats what's been agreed, and good for us to get his wages off the books.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Agree with most of what you said above apart from the first sentence. And the bit about going on to better things in the future. His ego will get the better of him wherever he goes eventually, he just doesn’t seem the type who will work at his game to improve and ultimately that will mean he won’t be popular with managers for too long.

I'm sure Hoedt is talented. For me, he's just another casualty of the Pellegrino/Hughes era where very few players looked like prospects. 

Genuinely interested to hear about any players who played consistently well in that time period? I can't remember any. Maybe Romeu?

• 1 month later...

No - also Italian clubs always do this, especially to us. They get players in on loan, with a ‘right to buy’ for xx, then at the end offer a fraction of that or nothing and look for another loan. I’m hoping we have learnt this from Cedric / Ramirez / Osvaldo and just accept getting an unwanted player away with subbed wages is a bonus. We do need a massive relook at our strategy for offloading unwanted players - it’s not just the money but the resources put into trying to offload could be used in acquiring better players.

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Wesley having to issue a public apology for his performance... 

https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F165517%2Fhoedt-it-was-my-fault-lazio-lost#article/footballitalia-165517

We're never getting rid of him, are we?

Jeez, he's a no hope isn't he.

What did we ever see in him!

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2021 at 08:05, Hodgey said:

No - also Italian clubs always do this, especially to us. They get players in on loan, with a ‘right to buy’ for xx, then at the end offer a fraction of that or nothing and look for another loan. I’m hoping we have learnt this from Cedric / Ramirez / Osvaldo and just accept getting an unwanted player away with subbed wages is a bonus. We do need a massive relook at our strategy for offloading unwanted players - it’s not just the money but the resources put into trying to offload could be used in acquiring better players.

To off load at a cut price transfer fee means you have to pay all the due wages in one go. Loaning him means the wages are paid over the contract period. Eitherway it affects us in the transfer market. The best way is to not buy duds, but that is almost impossible.

23 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

To off load at a cut price transfer fee means you have to pay all the due wages in one go. Loaning him means the wages are paid over the contract period. Eitherway it affects us in the transfer market. The best way is to not buy duds, but that is almost impossible.

Good point. I just wonder if we are still weighing it up wrong. For example Elynoussi - let’s say he has another 2 yrs left on £50k a week - that means paying him off £1.2m, plus he is still worth £2.5m based on time left original transfer. We seem to play hardball and want xx when in my mind we should have a min price of £3.7m which would ‘write off’ liabilities. I don’t have an issue trying to get as much as possible, but if we cant get it for totally unwanted players on high wages (which has been proved) then we need to be realistic. 

4 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Good point. I just wonder if we are still weighing it up wrong. For example Elynoussi - let’s say he has another 2 yrs left on £50k a week - that means paying him off £1.2m, plus he is still worth £2.5m based on time left original transfer. We seem to play hardball and want xx when in my mind we should have a min price of £3.7m which would ‘write off’ liabilities. I don’t have an issue trying to get as much as possible, but if we cant get it for totally unwanted players on high wages (which has been proved) then we need to be realistic. 

Although 2 years at 50k a week is £5m. Doesn't bare thinking about, I hope he's not on that much.

16 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

End his loan now 

bring him back and play him at RB

I’ll put my tin helmet and bullet proof vest on now 😂😂

We could end the loan now and bring him back but he'd probably get disorientated in the airport and catch the wrong flight, possibly to somewhere like Botswana, Bolivia or Bahrain (pick any other countries you wish) and then spend a week blaming airport authorities for his mistake......

......anyway, he's far too good for us (in his head!)

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Death.  Taxes.  Hoedt returning after a sh*te loan spell.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-will-return-southampton-switch-seen-certain-set-pack-bags/

#TheUnsellables

There comes a point when even the most arrogant, self centered of individuals has to stop, take a moment, and realise it cant always be someone else's fault that their life turns out so bad. Time for you to take that moment Wesley.

He’s got some strong competition, but I do think he might just be the worst of all our bad signings. He brought absolutely no joy that I can remember. Gaston, Osvaldo, Lemina, even arguably Carrillo (assist away to WBA) brought at least one good/great moment. Hoedt brought absolutely nothing that I can remember, apart from disrespect to the club and the fans. 

29 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

There comes a point when even the most arrogant, self centered of individuals has to stop, take a moment, and realise it cant always be someone else's fault that their life turns out so bad. Time for you to take that moment Wesley.

The problem he never seems to realise is if it is always someone elses fault that means he can never fix it.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Unsurprising news shocker:

If anything sums up the latter Les / Ross Wilson years, it’s the deals for Hoedt, Lemina, Pellegrino and Carrillo. 

How did they get it soo wrong 😂

(Lemina i understand a talented player, just an absolute bell end). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SKD said:

If anything sums up the latter Les / Ross Wilson years, it’s the deals for Hoedt, Lemina, Pellegrino and Carrillo. 

How did they get it soo wrong 😂

(Lemina i understand a talented player, just an absolute bell end). 

Ross Wilson transfer guru 😂😂😂😂

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ross Wilson transfer guru 😂😂😂😂

There was an article in the DT a few weeks how how he and Steven Gerrard had steered them to the top of the SPL. You could not make it up! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Wesley Hoedt