Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

I punched the air when I saw this. Terrible signing who has cost us so much more than just the fee!

Hopefully, a few more leave early, too, as that's what we need most to be in a position to sign the fresh blood we so badly need.

Badly managed when he arrived, and clearly a bad fit mentally, a talented player on his day, but not a good fit for the premier league. Shame he was an utter bellend, glad to get rid of him. If we have let him go for free, but got his £75k wages off the books then happy days.

In reality he’s probably gone for free and we are still contributing to his wages…

Shame. There's a player in there somewhere, and I reckon we would need his input next season. After all we shipped tons of goals without him: surely worth a run of games early season?

Nahhhh! I just fuckin' with ya! Good riddance. Try not to be so out of posiition that you walk into the door frame on the way out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Blimey, didn't expect this so soon into the window. Great news, good riddance - terrible attitude and just all round waste of a shirt.

Hoedt, Gunn, Sims, Hesketh and Bertrand gone - hoping the likes of Long, Lemina, N'Lundulu, Moi, Obafemi and one of Forster/McCarthy to follow. If we manage that, must be pushing £500k a week in wages off the books?

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wesley Hoedt - Official: Signs for Anderlecht
1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Blimey, didn't expect this so soon into the window. Great news, good riddance - terrible attitude and just all round waste of a shirt.

Hoedt, Gunn, Sims, Hesketh and Bertrand gone - hoping the likes of Long, Lemina, N'Lundulu, Moi, Obafemi and one of Forster/McCarthy to follow. If we manage that, must be pushing £500k a week in wages off the books?

Has Gunn gone?

Must have missed that one...

Saints have been like a person holding on for ages and then going for a big dump in the toilets of all Les’s (and his wee assistant) pension day specials tat in the damaged/ONO/only an idiot would pay that aisle. Hopefully more outgoings keep heading for the exit. The contracts winding down seem to have helped. 

Well done on your move Wesley - your SFC appearances have earned you a spot alongside Callum Davenport at CB in my worst ever SFC XI. Olivier Bernard and Steve Baker at full backs. Lee Todd just didn’t have enough appearances. 

Long, Lemina, Forster and McCarthy, Redmond, Obafemi, Vestergaard, Valery, Vokins, Ely hopefully next, Gunn to Norwich looks imminent. Wouldn’t be upset tbh if Moussa went as well, linked with loan move to Turkey but prefer to sell. Prefer to keep Danny but north of £30m the club will sell I’d have thought. Leaves a core of players who will work for the shirt at least and add some new faces who will do the same with a bit of surprise quality.

Hopefully that’s enough for 17th or better but with such a tough starting set of fixtures I wouldn’t be surprised if they are playing under a new manager by October. 

Do Anderlecht have the funds to match the wages on the last year of his contract here? As I doubt he will have been willing to take a pay drop this summer to get a move/longer term deal. If not, then we will be paying him a big fat `loyalty' bonus to help him on his way. Not a chance we will be getting a transfer fee, but at least it frees up wages and gets that sorted early, so we are not paying him all summer. 

Edited by Chez

Wouldn’t be surprised if they paid a nominal transfer fee which basically covers the difference in wages for the next 12 months, which we then pay off. In other words, we come out of it with net zero, don’t owe any wages and everyone moves on with their lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

He had a good rep when he joined and seemed to be a good bit of business at the time, much like Gunn in fact. Good for all concerned that he’s moved on though

Exactly. I thought he was real coup when he signed for us. Dutch international defender from a top Italian team, thought he would be a great signing. Just goes to prove reputation doesn't count for everything.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Exactly. I thought he was real coup when he signed for us. Dutch international defender from a top Italian team, thought he would be a great signing. Just goes to prove reputation doesn't count for everything.

Exactly plus 1. I was enthused by his signing at the time for all the reasons you mention. He actually had some good skills about him but I think they inflated his ego way beyond any sensible justification. My enthusiasm started to wane when he lost the ball whilst trying to be clever with a needless 'trick' in a dangerous area which lead directly to us conceding against Bournemouth when 1 nil up. It never unwaned.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

Wesley WHO-dt? A player that will soon be stricken from our memories. He'll be the player that nobody remembers in ten years that someone mentions in conversation and we respond "Oh shit yeah, I'd forgotten about him!" 

Good riddance and, more importantly, we now have his wages to spend on someone else. Let's just hope we don't get another Billy Big Bollocks like him and, to a point, Lemina. Bit by bit we offload the deadwood...

...then probably replace it with more deadwood....😁

• Like 1

That's probably £60k a week off the wages, overall a costly mistake though. 

Lemina and Long probably the next biggest earners we need to get rid of and whatever is happening with either or both keepers.  That is probably another £250k a week between those 4 I reckon.

Just to be all MLG, he hasn't actually gone yet, he will formally sign for Anderlecht on Monday (21st). Agreement in principle only so far. Makes no difference, but the change of topic subject is inaccurate. We might get to know if there is any fee involved once the transfer becomes official.

5 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Just to be all MLG, he hasn't actually gone yet, he will formally sign for Anderlecht on Monday (21st). Agreement in principle only so far. Makes no difference, but the change of topic subject is inaccurate. We might get to know if there is any fee involved once the transfer becomes official.

If we get anything for him it's superb business. Just happy to free up some wages, a year less of paying them means we have another £2.6million to add onto any transfer offer. 

11 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Was the clear MOTM in the Swansea game and we could of easily lost without him. Dread to think what the last few years would of been like if we had gone downso at least there is something to take out from his time here at Saints. 

TBF, this is genuinely a good point.  

He's been VERY well paid for that 1 game though.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Was the clear MOTM in the Swansea game and we could of easily lost without him. Dread to think what the last few years would of been like if we had gone downso at least there is something to take out from his time here at Saints. 

He clearly has talent, remember that Swansea game!

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The black box weeded out players with bad attitudes apparently. What utter tripe. 

As Crocker put it: "We have to be strategic and stick to our principles. We have made mistakes with signings that do not fit within our principles so a big part of my job is to make sure that we stick to the plan."

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-ralph-hasenhuttl-summer-transfer-5499976

Wish him well in the future. 

It’s no coincidence that most of the players who arrived in that Puel / Pellegrino / Hughes era have not been successful here. It must’ve been the worst time to join the club and an environment not conducive for any kind of sustained success: numerous changes in manager, playing style & philosophy. Add to that the constant upheaval of the squad & the poor managerial and executive appointments, (even a change in ownership?).

And it’s not just the transfers that didn’t work out. The young players coming through the academy suffered because of it. Also, to this day I still struggle to think of any players who actually improved during that era (Romeu & Hojbjerg maybe?). 

So it’s no surprise to me that players who arrived with rumoured potential in that time period have massively failed to perform. Some of it is on them of course, but we can’t overlook the wider context and club they arrived into. 

But with these players off the books & new ownership in the pipeline (fingers crossed), hopefully we can begin to move into a new chapter.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2021 at 20:27, Lighthouse said:

He’s been here two years and not shown any notable signs of progression at all.

Has all the football skill but no football brain, constantly tries to do too much with too many tricks, walks into trouble. loses possession, repeats. 

Redmond you of anyone?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wesley Hoedt