Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

18 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

FFS I know people want to dig JWP out but this is ridiculous, have you ever seen another captain make that call on an injured player. This is squarely on McCarthy and the bench.

It wasn't a dig at JWP but he's the captain and needs to stand up and be counted for onfield matters, your fucking deluded if you think the likes of Keane, Viera, kompany wouldn't of done that, infact you wouldn't even have to be captain any sort of leader out there something were sorely missing would've at least done something, a reason I was amazed we didn't go for Delaney in the summer  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

How long was McC injured?  MotD showed a clip of him rubbing his leg and Lycanco taking goal kick with a big 16:54 caption in the corner. Can't have been early in the first half can it?

Did Lyanco take the goal kick or was there a short pass to him first?

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Blasted autocorrect

21 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

It wasn't a dig at JWP but he's the captain and needs to stand up and be counted for onfield matters, your fucking deluded if you think the likes of Keane, Viera, kompany wouldn't of done that, infact you wouldn't even have to be captain any sort of leader out there something were sorely missing would've at least done something, a reason I was amazed we didn't go for Delaney in the summer  

I've seen players try to play on with a muscle injury, trying to run it off, loads of times and eventually they go off, and in all those times I've never seen a captain, even the hard men, tell a player to get off. These are professionals and it is the injuryed players responsibility.

We don't even know the extent on the injury or how much the other players were aware, yet people think JWP is partly to blame. JWP is to blame for the pass decision and running back to the line but not for mismanaging McCarthys injury.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I've seen players try to play on with a muscle injury, trying to run it off, loads of times and eventually they go off, and in all those times I've never seen a captain, even the hard men, tell a player to get off. These are professionals and it is the injuryed players responsibility.

We don't even know the extent on the injury or how much the other players were aware, yet people think JWP is partly to blame. JWP is to blame for the pass decision and running back to the line but not for mismanaging McCarthys injury.

I don’t think he would have run back to the line if he did not know about McCarthy’s injury.

Still a silly thing to do though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Initial expectations are that Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy is expected to be sidelined with an injury for at least two weeks #saintsfc [@AdrianJKajumba, mail]

We're willing to add a whole new wage to the bill for 6 months rather than give Harry Lewis a go in goal for a fortnight. Why bother keeping the lad?

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

We're willing to add a whole new wage to the bill for 6 months rather than give Harry Lewis a go in goal for a fortnight. Why bother keeping the lad?

Caballero may be a very cheap wage, given he is unemployed and on the verge of retirement. 

Seems Ralph is backtracking with his remarks he made after the game and his critiscm of McCarthy.   Almost an apology, I think we can assume words were 'spoken' in the changing room after Ralphs interview !!!

Alex McCarthy: Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says it was 'not perfect' to question goalkeeper's professionalism

Hasenhuttl: "I was not perfect to do this after the game. I didn't have all the information I should have after the game and that is always an issue. I hadn't spoken with everybody. I know more now about what happened on the pitch and I would do it differently"

By PA Media

Edited by 64saint

3 hours ago, 64saint said:

Seems Ralph is backtracking with his remarks he made after the game and his critiscm of McCarthy.   Almost an apology, I think we can assume words were 'spoken' in the changing room after Ralphs interview !!!

Alex McCarthy: Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says it was 'not perfect' to question goalkeeper's professionalism

Hasenhuttl: "I was not perfect to do this after the game. I didn't have all the information I should have after the game and that is always an issue. I hadn't spoken with everybody. I know more now about what happened on the pitch and I would do it differently"

By PA Media

Kelvin could be in for a Christmas bonus by the sound of it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I've wondered re. McCarthy's new contract because my opinion has always been that we should offer him a reduced salary in line with that of a No. 2 GK whilst we go out and find another one.

However, the Athletic reports differently per the snippet below, and if true then that is frustrating: 

image.png.8a8a52f6c0db1f3e30526b5b9e3408a3.png

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he really has signed a new contract, what possible reason is there for the club to not announce it? Every other contract they announce at the time of it being signed, including in the youth teams.

Sheldon is talking bollox as usual

3 hours ago, nta786 said:

This is something I've wondered re. McCarthy's new contract because my opinion has always been that we should offer him a reduced salary in line with that of a No. 2 GK whilst we go out and find another one.

However, the Athletic reports differently per the snippet below, and if true then that is frustrating: 

image.png.8a8a52f6c0db1f3e30526b5b9e3408a3.png

That's what happens in Premier League, every club needs cover for every position and both expect top pay, so it would not be 'odd' but normal.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, angelman said:

Will he ever play for us again?? I suspect after the BS he pulled vs Brighton, he won't.

McCarthy + £25m for Henderson. 

They get a decent second choice keeper, home grown quota, cash, etc.

We get a huge upgrade.

One of those deals fans suggest but could never happen though.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Dreadful? Really? Tough crowd.

Table doesn't lie as they say. I thought Schmeichel was slow off his line for Tottenham's 3rd goal. He was probably still kicking the goal post after conceding the equaliser. 

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Personally think Schmeichel is a good keeper. It's the Dane in front of him that isn't so hot...

I think he was immense a couple of years ago, you fall away very fast as a goalkeeper though when you begin to decline, especially with age.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I think he was immense a couple of ago, you fall away very fast as a goalkeeper though when you begin to decline, with age.

I watched a documentary on him. Very impressive man, and speaks well. Lot of time for him, actually. Still a very good keeper and communicator. Plus was pretty solid in the Eriksen incident. Would walk into our team but suspect he will be at Leicester until he retires.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TWar said:

McCarthy + £25m for Henderson. 

They get a decent second choice keeper, home grown quota, cash, etc.

We get a huge upgrade.

One of those deals fans suggest but could never happen though.

Why would Man Utd take McColander as part payment for Henderson as a) He's shite and b) they could pick him up for nothing in a few months as he would be out of contract.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

Why would Man Utd take McColander as part payment for Henderson as a) He's shite and b) they could pick him up for nothing in a few months as he would be out of contract.

I think he's fine as a back up keeper, he is not fit to be a starter in a prem side but as a back up he is decent. Also, top sides like united like having English back ups as it helps towards home grown squad quota, likely the reason they are using Heaton too. 

Finally regarding the picking him up for free thing, still not sure if he has signed a new contract or not. A number of reliable sources said it was done and the club for some reason didn't bother to announce it or Jack Stephens. If he does only have 6 months left then yeah, it wouldn't be appealing.

49 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think he's fine as a back up keeper, he is not fit to be a starter in a prem side but as a back up he is decent. Also, top sides like united like having English back ups as it helps towards home grown squad quota, likely the reason they are using Heaton too. 

Finally regarding the picking him up for free thing, still not sure if he has signed a new contract or not. A number of reliable sources said it was done and the club for some reason didn't bother to announce it or Jack Stephens. If he does only have 6 months left then yeah, it wouldn't be appealing.

He's not fine for a backup keeper though is he.  He is nowhere near of the level that a CL club could be an injury away from having to playing him.  Yes, the big clubs do like to get their home grown quota up by having an ancient/useless British keeper as No 3 keeper like City have had with Stuart Taylor and Richard Wright for years but they are never going to actually play them in a meaningful game.  I guess McC would be fine for this role of a non playing number 3 but def not as a backup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

He's not fine for a backup keeper though is he.  He is nowhere near of the level that a CL club could be an injury away from having to playing him.  Yes, the big clubs do like to get their home grown quota up by having an ancient/useless British keeper as No 3 keeper like City have had with Stuart Taylor and Richard Wright for years but they are never going to actually play them in a meaningful game.  I guess McC would be fine for this role of a non playing number 3 but def not as a backup. 

He's fine as long as he's not called upon to play.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 21/01/2022 at 14:12, once_bitterne said:

And United have Tom Heaton as third choice non playing useless Squad filling goalkeeper so don’t need McCarthy for that 

Edited by Turkish

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Interesting that yet again we are right at the bottom of the pile for agents fees, as we always are. Agents fees were always given as one of the main reason why we had to keep our spending below our income from transfers, seems that excuse is a load of bollocks, which also confirms what we already knew.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Interesting that yet again we are right at the bottom of the pile for agents fees, as we always are. Agents fees were always given as one of the main reason why we had to keep our spending below our income from transfers, seems that excuse is a load of bollocks, which also confirms what we already knew.

I wasn't someone that made that argument, but its still £5m less available to spend than appears on a net transfer spend table.

The fact the club has registered losses of £140m over the last three years and currently has a £90m debt, is ample justification for why we have not spent more on transfer fees over the last three years. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Fuck sake.

and just to enhance your happiness, its a three year deal - and don't think for a minute that he's accepted some sort of reduced contract equivalent to a back up keeper. It will most likely be on equal or better terms than his previous contract. Forster will of course leave, and is probably lined up for a mega money deal as a second stringer at Chelsea, or such like, and I suspect Sam Johnson will sign on a free.

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wasn't someone that made that argument, but its still £5m less available to spend than appears on a net transfer spend table.

The fact the club has registered losses of £140m over the last three years and currently has a £90m debt, is ample justification for why we have not spent more on transfer fees over the last three years. 

Sadly agents fees are a nessasary evil in the modern game. Obvious we are up to our eyeballs in debt but even in the days when we were posting record profits year after year agents fees were one of the main reasons why we had a sale to buy strategy. Im glad we pay them one of the least but i'm afraid it's always been a used as an excuse to justify our lack of spending over the years. Also makes you wonder with agents being very influencial in deals if we've missed out on players due to our strategy.