Jump to content

Alex McCarthy


Recommended Posts

Earlier in the season we did dominate some games went a goal up only to be pegged by the opposition because of calimity Frazer's crappy goalkeeping.

One of the main reasons why we are in this position at the moment as he cost us a lot of points.

 

Most from shots from way outside the penalty area too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

 

If this includes a pay-cut to backup wages, means Forster out the door, and we sign someone new then great. If not this is a big error.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TWar said:

If this includes a pay-cut to backup wages, means Forster out the door, and we sign someone new then great. If not this is a big error.

Agreed. If we're signing someone else to compete/take over as number 1 and Frasers off, then fair enough. Doubt he'll have taken a paycut though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Agreed. If we're signing someone else to compete/take over as number 1 and Frasers off, then fair enough. Doubt he'll have taken a paycut though.

Don’t see Fraser leaving when he’s gonna get games and his final years wages…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Don’t see Fraser leaving when he’s gonna get games and his final years wages…

Hopefully Ralph has told one of them they won't be number 1... plus maybe Fraser wants to go and play regularly (Celtic perhaps back in), can't imagine we will charge much of a fee.

Suspect you're right though SS, we'll be seeing the rotation of the two all over again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Suggests Forster will be on his way if true then. New keeper with Mccarthy as No. 2.

Don't see how we’d have the cash to add a keeper to the shopping list. 

I think FF leaves next season and then we look at keeper options then.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Suggests Forster will be on his way if true then. New keeper with Mccarthy as No. 2.

Ralph doesn't like to have a number one.

 

I’m not really a big fan of having a clear number one goalkeeper,” he said in May. “I need to have a good goalkeeper in the goal and whether it is number one or number two, or however you call him, it’s not interesting to me.

 

“The good thing is that we have two good goalkeepers that we can trust and this is something of an advantage.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ralph doesn't like to have a number one.

 

I’m not really a big fan of having a clear number one goalkeeper,” he said in May. “I need to have a good goalkeeper in the goal and whether it is number one or number two, or however you call him, it’s not interesting to me.

 

“The good thing is that we have two good goalkeepers that we can trust and this is something of an advantage.”

I must say I’ve never considered having Forster or McCarthy as “something of an advantage”

 

I’m sorry but that’s total bollocks from Ralph. When you have a defence as poor as ours what better than disrupt them further by having a different keeper behind them every week, one week being organised, the next having to sort themselves out. One week having a guy who comes out for the ball from a corner or cross, the next someone who stands rooted to his line.

A world class defence might handle it, our bunch of half arsed defenders stand no chance.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I must say I’ve never considered having Forster or McCarthy as “something of an advantage”

 

I’m sorry but that’s total bollocks from Ralph. When you have a defence as poor as ours what better than disrupt them further by having a different keeper behind them every week, one week being organised, the next having to sort themselves out. One week having a guy who comes out for the ball from a corner or cross, the next someone who stands rooted to his line.

A world class defence might handle it, our bunch of half arsed defenders stand no chance.

It's utterly bizarre and makes no sense at all. I dont ever remember another club side doing this, ever. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some people are a little guilty of taking media speak at face value.

 

He’s not for sale - If you really want him, he’s gonna cost you.

Boufal will be given a chance next season - We want to offload him but don’t want buyers thinking we’re desperate.

Its good having two excellent ‘keepers we can choose between - Neither of them is anything special, I want to evaluate both before deciding who we offload.

 

If we continue with our two on - two off policy next season, then I’ll have serious concerns, but I’d be surprised if that happened.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Don't see how we’d have the cash to add a keeper to the shopping list. 

I think FF leaves next season and then we look at keeper options then.

Depends if we get something for Forster and taking into account we get his wages off the books. Remember that Gunn is already gone and there was a (Small) fee involved IIRC. We have been linked with the Albanian fella and the Accrington keeper, don't think cash for a fee is such an issue as you are thinking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave our two as is. Would rather spend money on an outfield player as those two will do for time being. We may buy a keeper who could turn out like the one whose signed for Norwich .Be careful what you wish for,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd go for the Croatia keeper, Livakovic. Good keeper, still only 26, and gettable I think.

I think the Spanish keeper is more our style! 😋

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd go for the Croatia keeper, Livakovic. Good keeper, still only 26, and gettable I think.

The Spanish keeper looks a better fit for us judging by what I have just seen.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think both keepers will stay and Forster will see out his contract before leaving on a free. 

We all want the squad to be rebuilt - and the GK spot is a part of that, but realistically all of the changes required can't be done in one summer. Especially when it's clear that we have little money to spend. LB/RB, CB (If Vest goes) and an attacker (Striker if Ings goes) are more pressing issues than bringing in a new GK at this point.

I imagine we'll wait till next summer to bring in a new No.1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

So wonder if we are still interested in Bentley the keeper  at Bristol was getting some great reviews and we were linked.

We were first linked to him when he was at Southend

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LordHester said:

New goalkeeping shirts revealed this morning - McCarthy modelling all three. Forster nowhere to be seen ... 🤔

He was in the video on FB and Twitter. Clearly No 2 though, but I expect him to be on his way soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Accrington sign Man City keeper James Trafford on season long loan (Sky) 

Interesting.

So are we in for the Accrington keeper we were linked with previously?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Interesting.

So are we in for the Accrington keeper we were linked with previously?

We were.  Late last year.

Lots of other teams have been linked, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 17:17, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d sell McCarthy at the earliest opportunity, if we kept him and only ever want him as a number two.

He doesn’t command his goal, ever see him in a one on one situation, strikers must be laughing.

I don't think there will ever be an opportunity. Nobody would buy him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

This guy is still a liability, And the concerning thing is the manager can't see it. Forster isn't brilliant either but he is better than McCarthy.  And they want to give him a new contract? Just madness. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't see how today's goals were his fault. top corner effort and twive when the defence let their strikers have a free effort in the 6 yard box.

Lack of communication for the first one. Pretty weak for the third. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first goal for me - I'd be screaming all over the GK, don't stand there waiting. Be proactive. Shove Salisu out of the way if you don't think he's going to deal with it.

He stood there like a gormless oaf. Just non-goalkeeping.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

When it comes to keepers the best way to judge someone is if they'd start for another team in your division.  Would McCarthy?  Not for me.

Neither would Forster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

The first goal for me - I'd be screaming all over the GK, don't stand there waiting. Be proactive. Shove Salisu out of the way if you don't think he's going to deal with it.

He stood there like a gormless oaf. Just non-goalkeeping.

I don’t see that he could have come for it.  Agree he should have been yelling at salisu who’d got himself in a horrible position to do anything but duck out of the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I don’t see that he could have come for it.  Agree he should have been yelling at salisu who’d got himself in a horrible position to do anything but duck out of the way.

Screaming at him and coming out and cleaning the ball out. It was a pathetic ball in and everyone stood around looking it at with no one taking charge, Salisu did shit but it was on the end of the six yard box, any decent keeper comes out and claims that.

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

If Arsenal can’t buy a quality keeper what chance do we stand ? Where would he come from , rich clubs can spend £70M on a keeper to replace the duff one they bought earlier ffs .

West Brom. Sam Johnstone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})