Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

21 minutes ago, Donatello said:

I'd also like the know what this was a reference to, please. 

He said McCarthy is first choice Forster will play cup games. One will stay (McCarthy) and sign a new deal the other will leave and we will sign a new keeper next year

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

If McCarthy plays and continues his substandard performances we will be relegated. I've never heard anything so rediculous as keeping a better goalkeeper on the bench who just might help us and paying him an enormous amount in the process, whilst giving a substandard goalkeeper a new contract. Sheer lunacy.

Edited by derry
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, derry said:

If McCarthy plays and continues his substandard performances we will be relegated. I've never heard anything so rediculous as keeping a better goalkeeper on the bench who just might help us and paying him an enormous amount in the process, whilst giving a substandard goalkeeper a new contract. Sheer lunacy.

Agreed.  Ralph continues to go down in my estimation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

I think the reason McCarthy is favoured by Ralph is that he sees him as likely to sign a new contract extension.  Rumour I think I read somewhere is that Forster will not, on the terms being offered.  Personally I think Forster just about offers us more but at a price that the club clearly not prepared to pay next season so he is back up at present.  

Crazy to be offering McCarthy a new deal at any value. If any of us on here were that appalling at our jobs we’d be on our bikes and rightly so. Forster performed better last year - not a high bar to clear but a fact nonetheless. More reason for him to be number 1 as he will be motivated to be attracting another PL club although it won’t be on the demented rates Les offered.

I don’t understand why Alex has to have a new contract. There’s 24 far better keepers at least in the division below and quite a few below that, let alone overseas. Why are the scouts not watching them and being pushy? Couple of skate friends tell me their new keeper is quite good and he was probably free. What about the lad at Accrington? Surely £1.5m is enough. If SFC can’t afford that as a current PL club then the events of 2005-9 might be about to happen at a much faster rate.

Still, if you look at the STH thread and debacle, poor performance, casual attitudes and lack of drive and learning seem to be inherent in the organisation. Hope the PRC government aren’t too harsh on Gao when the club is forced back into administration. 

Edited by saint1977

I imagine we want one of our current keepers to be our No 2 next season. That does make some sense, however not being in the EPL is a dangerous game to play.

I would think we will look to buy a No 1 next summer, so I do see the logic in what we are doing. That said, I’d imagine we could find a better No 2 that McCarthy on a free next summer.

I still think it is beyond stupid not to play your 1st choice (which most agree is FF), is it we dont want to put our potential No 2 for next season off leaving on a free?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I imagine we want one of our current keepers to be our No 2 next season. That does make some sense, however not being in the EPL is a dangerous game to play.

I would think we will look to buy a No 1 next summer, so I do see the logic in what we are doing. That said, I’d imagine we could find a better No 2 that McCarthy on a free next summer.

I still think it is beyond stupid not to play your 1st choice (which most agree is FF), is it we dont want to put our potential No 2 for next season off leaving on a free?

That would only make sense if they were not out of contract. You would have to be demented if you decided to extend either of them in order to be a number 2.

Oh wait…

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That would only make sense if they were not out of contract. You would have to be demented if you decided to extend either of them in order to be a number 2.

Oh wait…

I dont agree, I think that is exactly wheat they are doing, getting one to sign an extension (looks like AM) and imagine we will buy a No 1 next season.

I just cant imagine Ralph wants either as his first choice, I mean if he does he needs sacking, so my thoughts are we will play what we have, have one as back up next season. 

I still think we should just wither buy another keeper now, if we have some funds left, which doesn’t look likely, or play who we feel is the better keeper, as right now McCarthy looks terrible.

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

I dont agree, I think that is exactly wheat they are doing, getting one to sign an extension (looks like AM) and imagine we will buy a No 1 next season.

I just cant imagine Ralph wants either as his first choice, I mean if he does he needs sacking, so my thoughts are we will play what we have, have one as back up next season. 

I still think we should just wither buy another keeper now, if we have some funds left, which doesn’t look likely, or play who we feel is the better keeper, as right now McCarthy looks terrible.

We shouldn’t be trying to get either to sign an extension. If they are then we are in seriously bad hands.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

We shouldn’t be trying to get either to sign an extension. If they are then we are in seriously bad hands.

I think either are ok as a second choice, as long as they rarely play, as in they are the backup. How many teams have great no 2s? I think either are fine for that, my concern is if they still play regularly or if they retain no1 status. 

6 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

You know what will happen. McCarthy will stay as number one and we’ll bring in some cheap young keeper as number 2 hailing them as one for the future. 

This will come back to haunt us. We need a decent keeper. 

If someone back there is making the routine stops that these two are incapable of then the confidence of the defence increases and they play better without the fear that one slip could prove costly.

This is a very risky gamble by the club.

While I'd favour Forster as the starter (based on his previous success with us if little else) presently, I'd rather we had one Number 1 settled and not that horrible rotation exercise from the end of last season, so if Hasenhuttl chooses McCarthy as that number 1 then so be it.

Even if McCarthy signs the mooted new contract, that doesn't mean he'll be number one next season, so hopefully we get the recruitment right and bring in a proper number 1 that we can trust (like West Ham did with Fabianski back in the day). I think it's probably likely that Forster will go.

The other issue depends on which league we are in. McCarthy as a Championship keeper (hypothetically) is probably good enough, so Lewis may well get bumped up to second choice. We can only hope we survive this season and finally can bring in a good keeper that does the basics well.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You know what will happen. McCarthy will stay as number one and we’ll bring in some cheap young keeper as number 2 hailing them as one for the future. 

Yeah i can see why people think that, but it may work for us next season in the championship, but not EPL.

@DT - see that was a little joke - ok by you if I use it 🤣

Seriously though, i doubt very much if that will happen. Firstly cos I just dont see Ralph wanting more of that, and think either will be fine as back up, but 2, if Ralph gets sacked,no one will want AM as No 1 next season. In fact, if Ralph gets chopped before Jan, I’d imagine Andy manager coming in demands a new No 1 in the Jan transfer window.

5 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I think either are ok as a second choice, as long as they rarely play, as in they are the backup. 

Correct.

They’re both ok as back up for a club of our standing. Personally, I prefer an experienced back up because they’ll be able to go weeks and weeks without playing, will prepare properly and will be ready to go when needed. I’ve no reason to doubt either are anything other than good solid professionals. 

There’s a bag of nails between them, but I’d imagine McCarthy will be cheaper, so will be the preferred option. 

I get the “we’re paying them so can’t buy anyone else” line, but to me, a ruthless manager gets someone else in. To muddle by on the basis we have to pay them is just nuts, unbelievable they’re so relaxed about it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, derry said:

You couldn't make this stuff up.

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct.

They’re both ok as back up for a club of our standing. Personally, I prefer an experienced back up because they’ll be able to go weeks and weeks without playing, will prepare properly and will be ready to go when needed. I’ve no reason to doubt either are anything other than good solid professionals. 

There’s a bag of nails between them, but I’d imagine McCarthy will be cheaper, so will be the preferred option. 

I get the “we’re paying them so can’t buy anyone else” line, but to me, a ruthless manager gets someone else in. To muddle by on the basis we have to pay them is just nuts, unbelievable they’re so relaxed about it. 

It's not really the managers decision is it if we have no cash. Like someone else said, really the Walcott deal was the one piece of business that wasn't essential this summer that maybe we could have done without and reinforced elsewhere like at the back. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not really the managers decision is it if we have no cash. Like someone else said, really the Walcott deal was the one piece of business that wasn't essential this summer that maybe we could have done without and reinforced elsewhere like at the back. 

Sadly I think the Walcott deal screams ''Club PR'', as opposed to pure footballing reasons. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I'm sure that we were planning on bringing in a new (first choice) keeper, offered McCarthy extension which he looks like he will sign (if he hasn't already), offered Forster an extension that he was hardly likely to accept, in the expectation that someone would come in for him, but it didn't happen, or else Forster said no to the move (Celtic supposedly). So it turns out we are stuck with both, Ralph prefers McCarthy (mostly because he will be a better #2) and with FF not willing to sign the contract that was offered he will be backup for this season before leaving on a free next summer. Bit of a silly situation we have got ourselves into, but unless something comes up in the next week looks like we have to live with it. Interesting to note that the Accrington keeper that we were apparently linked with (Toby Savin) has been benched so far this season, not too promising to be after Stanley's #2. Haven't heard what has happened to the Greek Albanian that were linked with. Personally don't think Forster is any better than McCarthy, much of a muchness, but clearly Alex is the club's preferred player for the longer term. Can't fathom what is going to happen to Harry Lewis.  

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I'm sure that we were planning on bringing in a new (first choice) keeper, offered McCarthy extension which he looks like he will sign (if he hasn't already), offered Forster an extension that he was hardly likely to accept, in the expectation that someone would come in for him, but it didn't happen, or else Forster said no to the move (Celtic supposedly). So it turns out we are stuck with both, Ralph prefers McCarthy (mostly because he will be a better #2) and with FF not willing to sign the contract that was offered he will be backup for this season before leaving on a free next summer. Bit of a silly situation we have got ourselves into, but unless something comes up in the next week looks like we have to live with it. Interesting to note that the Accrington keeper that we were apparently linked with (Toby Savin) has been benched so far this season, not too promising to be after Stanley's #2. Haven't heard what has happened to the Greek Albanian that were linked with. Personally don't think Forster is any better than McCarthy, much of a muchness, but clearly Alex is the club's preferred player for the longer term. Can't fathom what is going to happen to Harry Lewis.  

You need to compare FF's recent record with McCarthy because it clearly shows that the former is streets ahead.

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Think he's playing because he'll come for crosses(which he generally did ok again today) and given our defence that's a must. He's slightly better with the ball

Very annoying goal to concede. He should be saving it even though it''s a complete mishit that doesn't go where greenwood was aiming it.

He's playing because he seems to be willing to sign a new contract, and FF is not as he is not - that's the Saints/Ralph method of dealing with contract rebels. Personally think that is the wrong approach but my opinion matters sweet FA as far as the club is concerned 

The manager is hypocritical in these circumstances. Hoibjerg out, Forster out. Ings plays, Bertrand plays all refused club's offer. It would make sense if he considers McCarthy better than Forster. Certainly not on his recent league performances.

1 minute ago, derry said:

The manager is hypocritical in these circumstances. Hoibjerg out, Forster out. Ings plays, Bertrand plays all refused club's offer. It would make sense if he considers McCarthy better than Forster. Certainly not on his recent league performances.

Forster isn't better than Macca imo, they both are dreadful

• Like 1

Can't help but feel McCarthy has earned a bit more respect over the years than he's getting at the moment. Wasn't so long ago he was keeping us in games that were pivotal in keeping us in the Prem.

He still does pull off the odd decent save here and there, but I agree he should have done better with Greenwood's shot, and yes he needs to be dropped for a bit, just as Forster was when he hit a rough patch of form. But I think the way people have turned on him is a bit harsh, especially given that the defence infront of him ain't always up to much.

He just doesn't really save that much does he...his save ratio must be poor.  I expect keepers to make saves, and pull off the odd worldy save.  He does neither.  His distribution is poor too. 

Will be a good day when we're able to get rid of these two and bring in someone who instills a bit of confidence into the defence.

Part of me wishes we'd conceded from that mental moment when he was crawling around on all fours on his goal line while Salisu blocked the shot. It would have made pundits etc highlight him and possibly force Ralph to admit he's fucking useless. 

What on earth is happening in training that makes him not pick Forster!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TWar said:

Forster isn't better than Macca imo, they both are dreadful

Forster at least makes saves you don't expect him to every now and then, he knows how to position himself when facing a shot to give himself the best chance of blocking it by virtue of his size. He also likes playing the ball out quicker which could be handy with the pace and direct runners we have.

There is not a single part of the game that McCarthy is better at. 

• Like 2

What do you think Mccarthy is better at? Forster is much better and he's still poor! 

I think Macca claims crosses better and snuffs out danger into the box a bit better. He's still crap at both those things but less crap, they are both dreadful at basically everything but Forster is a slightly less dreadful shot stopper and Macca is actually average at best at claiming the ball but that is still well ahead of Forster. 

The only big difference for me is Forster has some of those random games (Arsenal A etc...) where he goes absolutely mad and wins us points on his own. McCarthy is just a 3-6/10 every game, whereas Forster has (or at least had) the potential to have a MOTM display.

They are both so shit though, it's crazy we've put ourselves in this position. 

• Like 2

What do you think Mccarthy is better at? Forster is much better and he's still poor! 

Mccarthy is in the team because he comes for balls in the box(which is pretty important given our lack of commanding CB's to do it), as well as being slightly more comfortable with his feet.

43 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Mccarthy is in the team because he comes for balls in the box(which is pretty important given our lack of commanding CB's to do it), as well as being slightly more comfortable with his feet.

Like he did for Everton's equaliser last week....

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Part of me wishes we'd conceded from that mental moment when he was crawling around on all fours on his goal line while Salisu blocked the shot. It would have made pundits etc highlight him and possibly force Ralph to admit he's fucking useless. 

Ralph has gone on record as stating that McCarthy is our number one keeper purely on the basis that he is willing to sign a new contract whereas FF isn't. This is a ludicrous position to adopt and, as Derry pointed out, he treated neither Ings or Bernard in the same fashion so it is a case of double standards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Ralph has gone on record as stating that McCarthy is our number one keeper purely on the basis that he is willing to sign a new contract whereas FF isn't. This is a ludicrous position to adopt and, as Derry pointed out, he treated neither Ings or Bernard in the same fashion so it is a case of double standards.

That's mental. Neither of them should be offered new contracts and so their willingness to sign should be irrelevant to who plays.

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

That was ridiculous, WTF was he doing? Came for it then changed his mind then somehow ended up rolling round the in the back of the net while United players were lining up to head it in. ALso having watched the goal again very poor, straight at him and not very hard, no way does anyone half decent let that in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1