Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

hard to blame him today for his shot stopping ability, claimed a few crosses. Distribution was awful though.

Yep. I don’t blame him for their goal though. We had plenty of chances to get the ball away.

There is a long article on him in The Times this morning. I don’t know why that should be.

All of the negative comments about the Chelsea game are boring…one of the positives seems to be Alex McCarthy finding some of his old form 🙌🏼

Made some terrific saves today…I know 99% of fans have given up on him but he’s been playing pretty well lately to be honest

Edited by Rickman42
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rickman42 said:

All of the negative comments about the Chelsea game are boring…one of the positives seems to be Alex McCarthy finding some of his old form 🙌🏼

Made some terrific saves today…I know 99% of fans have given up on him but he’s been playing pretty well lately to be honest

Absolutely. I'm not a McCarthy and generally prefer FF but credit where it's due, he made some good saves today. On top of the excellent save at the death against City, he deserves his place in the team.

Well played Macca.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

He's definitely turned a corner after a very poor season last season. The clubs decision to stick with him, and get him to sign the new contract seems to have settled him down.  Still would like us to invest in a better keeper next summer, but would be happy for them to battle it out as no 1.

Interesting stat about 1v1s. Maybe he feels more confident with Salisu in the backline instead of the lumbering Vestergaard? Must be a reasonable sense he doesn't need to start so far forward in the box for 1v1s with Salisu's far better pace and recovery compared to Jannik watching each forward disappear into the distance in front of him...

5 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

Doesn’t really surprise me, he has been excellent so far this season.

Good numbers from 1v1's but his generic saves vs expected he is 14th in the league with -0.7. Good skill to be able to do well in 1v1's but his general goalkeeping is still mediocre. Better than last year though.

Time Ralph selected FF. AM distribution is shockingly poor, before ball leaves keeper 9 out 10 it either is kicked to opposition or out of touch. Every kick pass counts, end product counts. Yesterday slow down to Burnley 2nd goal scored from range looked like it could been stopped if more outstretched, quicker to see read shot.

For such key position AM is costing saints, wake up smell roses give FF some game time for FF to build some confidence again, he does hold longest run no goals conceded, and is better of the two.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard799 said:

Time Ralph selected FF. AM distribution is shockingly poor, before ball leaves keeper 9 out 10 it either is kicked to opposition or out of touch. Every kick pass counts, end product counts. Yesterday slow down to Burnley 2nd goal scored from range looked like it could been stopped if more outstretched, quicker to see read shot.

For such key position AM is costing saints, wake up smell roses give FF some game time for FF to build some confidence again, he does hold longest run no goals conceded, and is better of the two.

I agree with you about FF. I am not a great believer in McCarthy and have often criticised him but having seen the replays of yesterday I find it hard to criticise him for their second. It was a dipping shot that went just inside the foot of the post.

I would have liked to see a goalkeeper come and clear the cross for their first goal but such keepers are rare to find.

They’re both toilet so we can’t keep having this “he should be playing instead ” every single time a goal goes in, or we don’t win. McCarthy has actually done better this season and has done nothing to deserve being replaced by FF. Lurch may have saved this one, or that one, but he’d have let others in, as they’re both much of a muchness. I doubt results would have been any different. McCarthy is here for the long run, FF ain’t, it’s perfectly reasonable and understandable he’s the number 1 and it doesn’t help anyone, least of all the back 4 to keep chopping and changing. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They’re both toilet so we can’t keep having this “he should be playing instead ” every single time a goal goes in, or we don’t win. McCarthy has actually done better this season and has done nothing to deserve being replaced by FF. Lurch may have saved this one, or that one, but he’d have let others in, as they’re both much of a muchness. I doubt results would have been any different. McCarthy is here for the long run, FF ain’t, it’s perfectly reasonable and understandable he’s the number 1 and it doesn’t help anyone, least of all the back 4 to keep chopping and changing. 

Hasn’t some genius come up with an expected save formula so we can do a proper comparison?

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I agree with you about FF. I am not a great believer in McCarthy and have often criticised him but having seen the replays of yesterday I find it hard to criticise him for their second. It was a dipping shot that went just inside the foot of the post.

I would have liked to see a goalkeeper come and clear the cross for their first goal but such keepers are rare to find.

Agree about the second goal. It was a great strike and maybe one of the top keepers in the league would have saved it but even that is up for debate. That goal goes down as poor defending from Bednarek.

First goal he would have rightly been expecting a defender to be challenging for that header. If he'd come for it and got nowhere near he'd have looked pretty silly, a bit like Ben Foster going to catch the cross that Richarlison scored from yesterday. Again that's Bednarek or Livramento's fault, nothing to do with the keeper.

• Like 7

I just knew McCarthy would be made the scapegoat for the second goal…poor bloke can’t catch a break with our fans!

he’s actually been much better so far this season…made some massive saves. Distribution dodgy at times, but not dreadful.

Bednarek was at fault for the second goal yesterday by letting Cornet turn him, but not many keepers are saving that strike.

until Forster leaves in the summer we’ll be sticking with Macca, and he’s done well so far! 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

I just knew McCarthy would be made the scapegoat for the second goal…poor bloke can’t catch a break with our fans!

he’s actually been much better so far this season…made some massive saves. Distribution dodgy at times, but not dreadful.

Bednarek was at fault for the second goal yesterday by letting Cornet turn him, but not many keepers are saving that strike.

until Forster leaves in the summer we’ll be sticking with Macca, and he’s done well so far! 

Thought he was OK yesterday. His distribution was not good (awful one to put Salisu in trouble) but otherwise did nothing wrong. He will never be s great keeper, but he's clearly the best we have, wouldn't be surprised to see a new keeper in January. 

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I agree. It was a very good strike that I doubt any current PL keeper wpuld have stopped. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

He may have made some marginally good saves, but he is still the worst keeper in the league, no one else comes close.

If I was an opposing striker I'd be buzzing to be shooting against him pre-match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He may have made some marginally good saves, but he is still the worst keeper in the league, no one else comes close.

If I was an opposing striker I'd be buzzing to be shooting against him pre-match.

He's in the bottom few keepers in the league but that's from a pretty small pool of genuinely talented professionals.

People really don't appreciate how difficult goalkeeping is. 

As for making "marginally good" saves, well that's a ridiculous comment. Every keeper in the league makes quality saves every season. You only have to go back a few weeks to the top class save he made at Man City in the last minute to earn us a point to prove your statement as being woefully incorrect.

26 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's in the bottom few keepers in the league but that's from a pretty small pool of genuinely talented professionals.

People really don't appreciate how difficult goalkeeping is. 

As for making "marginally good" saves, well that's a ridiculous comment. Every keeper in the league makes quality saves every season. You only have to go back a few weeks to the top class save he made at Man City in the last minute to earn us a point to prove your statement as being woefully incorrect.

I'd go as far as saying people don't appreciate how good any PL player is, myself included.

I mean, if you are the starting GK in any of the top 5 European leagues, you are one of the 100 in the world out of c. 7.9bn people which is crazy when you think about it.

7 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

Dont agree. Cornet caught McCarthy by surprise with the early strike on the turn but it was nowhere near the corner. Better positioning and anticipation and its a comfortable save

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Do you get more points for a good save than a marginally good one? A save is a save is a save. What is a marginally good save anyway. As for opposing strikers shooting against him pre-match, that would be interesting, but I would think the opposing strikers are more likely to be buzzing about shooting against him during the match itself.

One of the daftest posts I have read on here, and that's saying something.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wouldn’t say it’s a daft post, our goalkeeper is one of the weakest in the league.
If I was an opposing striker I would be licking my lips going up against him.

A couple of saves doesn’t make him a good keeper, his lapses in basic goalkeeping ability prove he isn’t competent or reliable for Premier League level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...