Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

On 23/08/2020 at 00:19, Turkish said:

Don’t forget for everyone who saw it had disaster written all over it there were some who claimed he had a goal scoring rate of one in two.

2011–2015 Estudiantes 118 (28)
2015–2016 Monaco B 1 (0)
2015–2018 Monaco 65 (15)

Were there? Interesting to look back at that thread.

Personally, I looked at his wikipedia page at the time and the goals to games ratio made me very concerned. Obviously you get your James Beattie's that take a while before becoming prolific, but you don't break your transfer record on the chance he `might' come good. You spend it on a goalscorer, with a decent record in a lessor league. 

On 22/08/2020 at 23:43, Archers Road Stand said:

Because Monaco knew we were desperate.

They certainly saw Old Les coming. I read a Monaco fans' forum at the time and they were absolutely amazed that they were getting that much for him. They thought he was worth no more than £5 mill. Talking of transfer fees,  Mané  is currently valued at more than £120 mill. In fact, taking the age of players like Messi and Ronaldo into account, he is probably the most valuable player in the world.

18 minutes ago, Chez said:
2015–2016 Monaco B 1 (0)
2015–2018 Monaco 65 (15)

Personally, I looked at his wikipedia page at the time and the goals to games ratio made me very concerned. Obviously you get your James Beattie's that take a while before becoming prolific, but you don't break your transfer record on the chance he `might' come good. You spend it on a goalscorer, with a decent record in a lessor league. 

The rationale went something along the lines of if you take out games he didn't start, was subbed off, played more than 60 minutes then he's got a great record. It was hilarious. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

They certainly saw Old Les coming. I read a Monaco fans' forum at the time and they were absolutely amazed that they were getting that much for him. They thought he was worth no more than £5 mill. Talking of transfer fees,  Mané  is currently valued at more than £120 mill. In fact, taking the age of players like Messi and Ronaldo into account, he is probably the most valuable player in the world.

They were right. Do you remember all the self back slapping when the deal went through? How hard they had to work to get him and it was a hard deal to do etc. I bet was only hard to do because Monaco thought it was a wind up

25 minutes ago, Chez said:
2015–2016 Monaco B 1 (0)
2015–2018 Monaco 65 (15)

I seem to remember the vast majority of people had their doubts from the beginning. There was probably some smarty pants trying to be quirky by engineering his goal per minutes ratio to look good but it’s not the forum mantra Turkish has been endlessly reminding us of for the last 2.5 years.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They were right. Do you remember all the self back slapping when the deal went through? How hard they had to work to get him and it was a hard deal to do etc. I bet was only hard to do because Monaco thought it was a wind up

Surprised the deal didn't make it onto BBC Watchdog Rogue Traders - Some foreign Johnnies taking advantage of a gullible old man and his idiot nephew fleecing them out of all their savings for "something that was not even worth half what they paid" -  said the expert hidden in the cupboard under the stairs watching the secret camera footage.

When things are looking gloomy in the Monaco boardroom, I bet all someone has to do is mention Carrillos name and they all cheer up.

I suppose that for the sake of balance, it should be pointed out that we signed VVD for £12m around the time that John Stones and David Luiz were being sold for £50mil (ish).

Sure the Carrillo signing was a disaster but every team has their good and bad ones and over the last decade we've probably been above average at least !!

3 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I suppose that for the sake of balance, it should be pointed out that we signed VVD for £12m around the time that John Stones and David Luiz were being sold for £50mil (ish).

Sure the Carrillo signing was a disaster but every team has their good and bad ones and over the last decade we've probably been above average at least !!

Spot on. It’s as if every success was nothing to do with Les but every failure down to him. Cakeism 

5 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Yes agreed but coupled with Gunn, Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal, Elynoussi, Clasie, Forster extension as well no wonder we are stuffed for signings

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Considering Ali Dia never actually signed, and Osvaldo actually managed to get on the scoresheet before losing his head, I think we can safely say that's true. 

Dia  never cost us a penny other than maybe a couple of quid in wages and Osvaldo actually looked like a quality footballer until he went mental.

Carillo was known garbage when we got him (Look at that goal scoring record in Argentina!) cost us a record transfer fee and clearly is on wages that make him un-affordable to the sort of clubs who actually want him.  He is clearly our worst signing by a country mile if you take into account ability, impact and cost.  The others people have mentioned in this thread at least had the possibility of being decent (Lemmina, Boufal etc) Carrillo was obviously garbage! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Will the club post a compilation of his highlights on social media when he leaves? 

His header at Burnley back into the path of Gabiadini via a defender missing the ball was vintage saints and always how i will fondly remember him

To be fair, why wouldn't they wish him well? If someone offered you (and let's be honest, whoever you are, you're probably not that much worse than Guido...) a ridiculous amount of money to join a Premier League club, you'd take it, and wouldn't be too fussed about moving on to a less well paid job. I don't think he's done anything but TRY to be good. Unfortunately he hasn't been good enough but not through any fault of his own.

He is a name I'm sure we'd all rather forget about, but it is firmly on those in charge at the club who deserve any wrath over this rather than the player himself!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mrfahaji said:

To be fair, why wouldn't they wish him well? If someone offered you (and let's be honest, whoever you are, you're probably not that much worse than Guido...) a ridiculous amount of money to join a Premier League club, you'd take it, and wouldn't be too fussed about moving on to a less well paid job. I don't think he's done anything but TRY to be good. Unfortunately he hasn't been good enough but not through any fault of his own.

He is a name I'm sure we'd all rather forget about, but it is firmly on those in charge at the club who deserve any wrath over this rather than the player himself!

Agreed. TBF if the club have put a Tweet out like this, it means he’s been pretty amenable in the negotiations to pay off his contract and expect he’s foregone some cash that was owed to him.

That transfer is going to be hurting us financially for a few years to come. Massive loss on that one, a criminal use of the VVD funds - that should have been used to build a legacy, but we splurged it on guys like him who we now have to let go as a freebie.

Glad he's gone, but christ, what a huge financial disaster for us. It's like we threw £20m out of the stadium and into the river Itchen for laughs.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That transfer is going to be hurting us financially for a few years to come. Massive loss on that one, a criminal use of the VVD funds - that should have been used to build a legacy, but we splurged it on guys like him who we now have to let go as a freebie.

Glad he's gone, but christ, what a huge financial disaster for us. It's like we threw £20m out of the stadium and into the river Itchen for laughs.

Probably more like £35m allowing for his wages. Criminal. 

32 minutes ago, mrfahaji said:

This.

I don’t have a problem with the guy, ok so he may not have been good enough, but at least he tried. I’ve seen some go through the motions and take the piss. I don’t think he was as bad as some made out. Suffered more ridicule than deserved because of who signed him and the extortionate fee, neither of which were his fault.  

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is that at Liebherr crane on the left? Im sure there’s a good joke there somewhere, or at the very least some form of deep running irony.

Anyway, good luck to him I suppose. Wasn’t his fault someone left the liquor cabinet in the boardroom unlocked.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Is that at Liebherr crane on the left? Im sure there’s a good joke there somewhere, or at the very least some form of deep running irony.

Anyway, good luck to him I suppose. Wasn’t his fault someone left the liquor cabinet in the boardroom unlocked.

Think I might be indulging in a little something from my cocktail cabinet at that news - good luck to him.

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We bought him because Pellegrino wanted him. It’s not Guido’s fault that we wasted the money. The fundamental cause was sticking with Pellegrino for so long.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We bought him because Pellegrino wanted him. It’s not Guido’s fault that we wasted the money. The fundamental cause was sticking with Pellegrino for so long.

I don’t think anyone blames him personally!  If someone offered me a fortune to do a job I’m incapable of and a three year contract I’d snap it up!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

I don’t think anyone blames him personally!  If someone offered me a fortune to do a job I’m incapable of and a three year contract I’d snap it up!

I just wish that I’d seen him play. I had a season ticket and I went to all our home games but I can’t recall ever seeing him playing.

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Me too.

The only game I recollect seeing him on the field was WBA away.

Saw him play at both West Brom away and Wigan away.  West Brow he was ok - set up the second, Wigan he was largely AWOL to be honest.

Edited by Micky