Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wont be going there then if they've been relegated.

Surprised we never hear anything from any interviews about his career plans at all.  Normally you hear these players talking in the press.

I wonder if the authorities lifted the cover on this transfer they and the clubs might find some things that didn’t reflect well. I hope under Semmens that Ross and Les would have refused outright to buy this player let alone for that money and I doubt whether Pellegrino would have been still in employment.

There was nothing in the player’s track record to suggest a £20m fee and definitely nothing since. Nothing. A quarter of that if I’m being generous, he could probably do a job in the Champ for more direct teams who get lots of crosses in. The club still has 12 months of this player’s contract to run. What to do? Is it cheaper to pay a large pc of the wages if an Argentinian club want him with a small fee offsetting some of it or reach a compromise agreement? 

I can’t see a European club wanting to pay any substantial fee.

4 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

I wonder if the authorities lifted the cover on this transfer they and the clubs might find some things that didn’t reflect well. I hope under Semmens that Ross and Les would have refused outright to buy this player let alone for that money and I doubt whether Pellegrino would have been still in employment.

There was nothing in the player’s track record to suggest a £20m fee and definitely nothing since. Nothing. A quarter of that if I’m being generous, he could probably do a job in the Champ for more direct teams who get lots of crosses in. The club still has 12 months of this player’s contract to run. What to do? Is it cheaper to pay a large pc of the wages if an Argentinian club want him with a small fee offsetting some of it or reach a compromise agreement? 

I can’t see a European club wanting to pay any substantial fee.

If he has any decency he'll agree to a mutual termination of his contract for free, as he's probably by now recognised that he cannot play football.

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If he has any decency he'll agree to a mutual termination of his contract for free, as he's probably by now recognised that he cannot play football.

Like any of us would do that! - He is probably on the best wages of his career and knows after this is a large fall into a crap league/wages and then retirement.

Unfortunately I think he will be off out on loan again for a season with us paying the majority of the wages. You never know some team in Argentina might take him off our hands for free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo

Southampton vice-chairman Les Reed said: "Guido represents a very exciting addition to our attacking options ahead of the final months of the season.

"We are confident he will benefit us not only in the remainder of this campaign, but in the years to come."

He may have been rubbish and overpriced, but that knock down at Burnley for Gabbi to equalise at Burnley was crucial to us staying up that year . From an accountancy point of view, a much better signing than Quassie or Davenport.     

2 minutes ago, redkeith said:

He may have been rubbish and overpriced, but that knock down at Burnley for Gabbi to equalise at Burnley was crucial to us staying up that year . From an accountancy point of view, a much better signing than Quassie or Davenport.     

You’re assuming no other striker could have made a more telling contribution in the time he wasted on the pitch. What if Gabbiadini had played in the home draws with Brighton and Stoke instead and scored a couple of goals? It’s an entirely false logic, like when Long scores 2 goals in about 35 appearances and someone says, "oh but that equaliser at West Ham (or whatever) kept us up by one point."

I get what you’re saying but it’s a bit like your top batsmen getting out for one run and saying it was actually a crucial run, at the end of the match.

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’re assuming no other striker could have made a more telling contribution in the time he wasted on the pitch. What if Gabbiadini had played in the home draws with Brighton and Stoke instead and scored a couple of goals? It’s an entirely false logic, like when Long scores 2 goals in about 35 appearances and someone says, "oh but that equaliser at West Ham (or whatever) kept us up by one point."

I get what you’re saying but it’s a bit like your top batsmen getting out for one run and saying it was actually a crucial run, at the end of the match.

A batsman getting one run in an innings, in a game where hundreds of runs are scored, is completely different to a goal in a low scoring football match. The fella's point is more sensible than yours. 

13 minutes ago, egg said:

A batsman getting one run in an innings, in a game where hundreds of runs are scored, is completely different to a goal in a low scoring football match. The fella's point is more sensible than yours. 

You seem to have taken the analogy literally. The point is that if you are useless and do ONE good thing in a season, you can’t claim that as a defence. You’re assuming that his replacement in that time would have done absolutely nothing.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You seem to have taken the analogy literally. The point is that if you are useless and do ONE good thing in a season, you can’t claim that as a defence. You’re assuming that his replacement in that time would have done absolutely nothing.

The fella said he was useless. He was/is but it doesn't alter that what he did in that one game was vital. It's irrelevant what someone else may have done, they didn't do it.

It's no big deal, but I'm not sure why you're going out of your way to verify that a shit player is/was shit when nobody suggested otherwise. 

Edited by egg

23 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Am I the only one who has a momentary sense of dread every time this thread bobs back up to the top?

Nah, i just think how can a player go from being a goal every other game to being such an abject failure with us.

23 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

Have to feel for Velez.

Didn’t realise he was there. He likes clubs with acute accents in doesn’t he! Still maybe it’s apt our worst player and our worst manager ever have such a connection.

On 11/08/2020 at 15:07, S-Clarke said:

There needs to be some sort of investigation into Carrillo and Pellegrino. Something seriously dodgy going on there, and whilst we're at it sue him for £19m

Could he be his secret love child?  And did he make a promise to the boy's mother he'd sort him out with a decent job when he grows up?

55 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Jimenez would have been pie in the sky.....didn't he cost Wolves £35m to sign?

Wolves had him on loan initially in the summer of 2018, albeit with a £30m clause in it.

There's a small possibility he may have cost less when we signed Gudio. At the end of the day I think we had that level of fee to potentially use.

On 11/08/2020 at 15:07, S-Clarke said:

There needs to be some sort of investigation into Carrillo and Pellegrino. Something seriously dodgy going on there, and whilst we're at it sue him for £19m

But it’s no excuse for the club to blame it all on Pellegrino because ultimately it was someone above him who signed off on this ridiculous transfer. It’s still astounding to me that the club would spend that amount of money on a player so closely linked to a manager who they were already getting close to sacking! Just shows how badly the club’s transfer policy had gone off the rails at that point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Pete said:

But it’s no excuse for the club to blame it all on Pellegrino because ultimately it was someone above him who signed off on this ridiculous transfer. It’s still astounding to me that the club would spend that amount of money on a player so closely linked to a manager who they were already getting close to sacking! Just shows how badly the club’s transfer policy had gone off the rails at that point.

And that clearly many of the club's recruitment people didn't rate, making it an absurd decision all round, a player you haven't scouted properly, not on your shortlist and you just go with the manager's choice who is already underperforming (and should have been sacked by then anyway).

-----------------------

On Jimenez to be fair he hardly had a stellar goal record before his move to Wolves, he had 31 in 120 for Benfica, and 1 goal in 21 for Atletico Madrid, so us signing him I don't think was pie in the sky but obviously the agent links were the problem more than anything. 

I mean probably if we had signed him a lot of would have been questioning the signing considering his goal record, and you never know he might not have worked out, considering the state the club was in at the time, we were hardly a free flowing confident team. Whereas Wolves were after getting promoted and were then boosted by some big signings. 

Probably a hard situation for any player from another country to come into, come straight into the PL in a relegation threatened team, in a new country, not speaking the language, half way through the season and then be expected to score the goals to keep them up. And then the manager you joined for, gets sacked within 10 games of you being there, have to feel a little sorry Carrillo to be fair (though i am sure the money helps). 

If anyone has actually read the article it just says we had watched Jimenez but the chance of signing him was very small due to his involvement with Jorge Mendez.

It doesnt suggest we signed Carillo instead of Jimenez as a conscious choice.

It does say that a high profile recruiment person threatened to quit over the signing and were persuaded that Carillo would be our striker for a long time after Pellegrino would leave. 

16 minutes ago, Batman said:

Guido Carrillo or Raul Jimenez....

Suck me sideways. That is unbelievable, even if remotely true.  That is not the actions of a well run club of the time.  Thank god Les and more so, Ross have long gone.

The article sounded like the unnamed “senior source close to recruitment department” trying to distance himself from it...

Article states Jimenez wasn’t possible anyway.

Horrendous signing regardless.

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If anyone has actually read the article it just says we had watched Jimenez but the chance of signing him was very small due to his involvement with Jorge Mendez.

It doesnt suggest we signed Carillo instead of Jimenez as a conscious choice.

It does say that a high profile recruiment person threatened to quit over the signing and were persuaded that Carillo would be our striker for a long time after Pellegrino would leave. 

Sadly that’s proving to be the case, can’t get rid of the useless lump.

1 hour ago, Saint Pete said:

IIRC and IMHO, the fans had gone right off Pelegrino and we wanted him out. The directors, however, wanted to stand by their man and hoped that bringing in the striker he nominated would improve results and so get the fans back onside. But … he didn't score in first few games and the clamour for Pelegrino got too much and the Board finally gave him his P45. Now we had no manager and a misfiring striker. It was a £19M gamble and it backfired.

We didn't nearly sign Jiminez. The article makes it clear we'd tracked him but had no real chance of getting the player due to his agent. 

Maddison was close and would have been an amazing signing but we couldn't compete with Leicester offering him more money and European football.

23 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Guess we did similar for Poch with Osvaldo and Puel with Boufal, albeit with slightly more tracking and thought. 

In some ways it’s welcome that the club backed the manager and signed someone he wanted against the wishes of everyone else. In principle that can be a good sign, it’s just the wrong manager this time. I’m sure there’s examples where a manager insisted on a player against the scouting team, and that player turned out a success. Pelle was clearly a Koeman signing, it would be interesting to know what the recruitment committee discussed with that one. 

It’s all well and good the recruitment guys washing their hands of this one, making it known how bad it was. However bad this one was , some of the ones tracked with more thought were just as god damn awful. 

On 21/08/2020 at 09:49, Batman said:

Guido Carrillo or Raul Jimenez....

Suck me sideways. That is unbelievable, even if remotely true.  That is not the actions of a well run club of the time.  Thank god Les and more so, Ross have long gone.

Its all well and thinking Jimenez would have been a great signing in hindsight but before he joined Wolves he was a striker with a 1 in 5 record playing for one of the best teams in a league that is not one of Europes top 5 and probably a level below the PL. He also was not a first team regular for them either. 

Which is why Wolves probably signed him on loan initially.

If we'd signed a back up striker from Benfica who had a 1 in 5 record I doubt many would be hailing him as an amazing signing, he pretty much would have been as big a gamble as Carrillo was. 

48 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Its all well and thinking Jimenez would have been a great signing in hindsight but before he joined Wolves he was a striker with a 1 in 5 record playing for one of the best teams in a league that is not one of Europes top 5 and probably a level below the PL. He also was not a first team regular for them either. 

Which is why Wolves probably signed him on loan initially.

If we'd signed a back up striker from Benfica who had a 1 in 5 record I doubt many would be hailing him as an amazing signing, he pretty much would have been as big a gamble as Carrillo was. 

Very true but also begs the question of why we didn't sign Carrillo on loan with an option. 

I can't think of many examples of us doing this (Danso, Ings and Alderweireld spring to mind) but it's becoming more common in the past few seasons. 

What beggars belief is way back when we were sniffing around him, most of us clowns with an opinion on Saints and football in general had our doubts about Carrillo from the sparse and uninspiring YouTube “promotional” videos pinging about. So if a bunch of idiots who are easily fleeced to watch football can spot the bloke is pretty much a steaming pile of a player, how the hell do a bunch of folk highly paid working in the inner sanctum of football, not spot that this guy was not worth anywhere near the club record fee that was stumped up for him...........let alone buy a player to give a manager who was clearly way out of his depth in the a premier league one last chance. Yup most of this has been said already in the umpteen posts in this thread.

Absolute car crash

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

What beggars belief is way back when we were sniffing around him, most of us clowns with an opinion on Saints and football in general had our doubts about Carrillo from the sparse and uninspiring YouTube “promotional” videos pinging about. So if a bunch of idiots who are easily fleeced to watch football can spot the bloke is pretty much a steaming pile of a player, how the hell do a bunch of folk highly paid working in the inner sanctum of football, not spot that this guy was not worth anywhere near the club record fee that was stumped up for him...........let alone buy a player to give a manager who was clearly way out of his depth in the a premier league one last chance. Yup most of this has been said already in the umpteen posts in this thread.

Absolute car crash

Don’t forget for everyone who saw it had disaster written all over it there were some who claimed he had a goal scoring rate of one in two.

• Like 1