Jump to content
ecuk268

Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

Recommended Posts

Good job we paid Everton that bung to get the bid raised/fed the papers the line.

(joking)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That would honestly be a stunning piece of business. 

£12m for KWP. For a player clearly surplus to requirements at spurs.

Stunning ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Badger said:

£12m for KWP. For a player clearly surplus to requirements at spurs.

Stunning ? 

For a player we clearly want? They aren't going to bend over and give him to us for nothing. £12million for a starting premier league English rightback under 25 is a very good price in this day and age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Badger said:

£12m for KWP. For a player clearly surplus to requirements at spurs.

Stunning ? 

Saints got a fee rising to £17m for Matthew Targett

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Sheldon reporting £20m + add ons for Hoj, £12m for KWP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, igsey said:

Dan Sheldon reporting £20m + add ons for Hoj, £12m for KWP.

that'll do nicely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, igsey said:

Dan Sheldon reporting £20m + add ons for Hoj, £12m for KWP.

Happy with that. So long PEH - let us know how the Champions League aspirations go?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, igsey said:

Dan Sheldon reporting £20m + add ons for Hoj, £12m for KWP.

As per:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like great business if these numbers are right. KWP and 8m+ for PEH was at the high end of my hopes. Good job on not folding like a house of cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're getting £8m for Harrison Reed, an extra £4m for KWP is good business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

We're getting £8m for Harrison Reed, an extra £4m for KWP is good business.

Need to check how many pennies are in our Weston McKennie piggy-bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know where they want Hojbjerg dropping yet , I'll book the taxi .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Need to check how many pennies are in our Weston McKennie piggy-bank.

And that he has changed his mind about wanting to play for a team in the CL or EL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

From a Spurs fans Twitter page - Højbjerg's ball recovery ability and leadership marked him out as the perfect target for Jose Mourinho's plans.

uh-huh 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

 

From a Spurs fans Twitter page - Højbjerg's ball recovery ability and leadership marked him out as the perfect target for Jose Mourinho's plans.

uh-huh 

 

I'm not exactly raving about Hojbjerg myself, he is an average player, but as our former captain and number one in the league for recoveries from midfield, those are objectively his strengths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As is normal, the Spurs fed journalists are stating the difference in the PEH and KWP fees is still £3m.

You can't rely on any fee reports apart from the fact that the truth will be somewhere in the middle of the two sides briefings.

Regardless of the specifics, we swap a player who didn't want to be here for a player who does,  and who solves a position thats been a problem for us ever since we sold Clyne.

Hopefully in future we can avoid letting key players, especially young ones, get down to just a year left on their contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see a scenario here where Levy told Mourinho that Saints were not playing ball, and it didn’t look like PEH would be signing.  Mourinho says I expect to be backed, and I want him, so get it done.

From that point, Levy is up a creek without a paddle, as he has to back a high profile manager that he has personally just appointed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dusic said:

As is normal, the Spurs fed journalists are stating the difference in the PEH and KWP fees is still £3m.

You can't rely on any fee reports apart from the fact that the truth will be somewhere in the middle of the two sides briefings.

Regardless of the specifics, we swap a player who didn't want to be here for a player who does,  and who solves a position thats been a problem for us ever since we sold Clyne.

Hopefully in future we can avoid letting key players, especially young ones, get down to just a year left on their contract.

That's not exactly a new idea...

Ultimately it's not in the club's control to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm not exactly raving about Hojbjerg myself, he is an average player, but as our former captain and number one in the league for recoveries from midfield, those are objectively his strengths. 

Despite what many will think Ralph had him as his captain and therefore the very first name on the team sheet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy_D said:

That's not exactly a new idea...

Ultimately it's not in the club's control to do that.

Of course its not, and it can go both ways as we have seen with Forster.

I recall Semmens or possibly Ross Wilson saying in one of the fans forums that we try to sign players knowing we can increase their pay with a new deal if we would like to.

Whilst its ultimately impossible to know what talks happen, I feel we could sometimes be a bit more aggressive in doing this a bit sooner when players have shown their value. For example, had we tried to extend Clyne and Wanyama one year into their 4 year contracts then surely that would have agreed to that?

Salisu could be a good example as reports indicate he may sign for four years. If after his first season he has done well, I would hope we try to extend his deal then, as otherwise the optimal selling point is not very far away.

Leicester seem to do this well, Chilwell signed a 5 year deal this season which means they can ask for mega money, Maddison about to as well. Good mechanism to protect your club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course its not, and it can go both ways as we have seen with Forster.

I recall Semmens or possibly Ross Wilson saying in one of the fans forums that we try to sign players knowing we can increase their pay with a new deal if we would like to.

Whilst its ultimately impossible to know what talks happen, I feel we could sometimes be a bit more aggressive in doing this a bit sooner when players have shown their value. For example, had we tried to extend Clyne and Wanyama one year into their 4 year contracts then surely that would have agreed to that?

Salisu could be a good example as reports indicate he may sign for four years. If after his first season he has done well, I would hope we try to extend his deal then, as otherwise the optimal selling point is not very far away.

Leicester seem to do this well, Chilwell signed a 5 year deal this season which means they can ask for mega money, Maddison about to as well. Good mechanism to protect your club.

Did this with Van Dijk and benefited from the £75m transfer fee due the 4 years(?) he had on his contract. Seems strange we haven't with others, particularly the two you mentioned. Even Mane too, although not sure he would have signed another contract anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

 

Leicester seem to do this well, Chilwell signed a 5 year deal this season which means they can ask for mega money, Maddison about to as well. Good mechanism to protect your club.

Flaw in your strategy though is that Leicester are reported to be offering Maddison £100,000 a week to sign the new contact. Not sure that is our way.

Although of course we did try something similar when Reed gave Forster his new contract a year into the existing one. Net result we can't offload him.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Did this with Van Dijk and benefited from the £75m transfer fee due the 4 years(?) he had on his contract. Seems strange we haven't with others, particularly the two you mentioned. Even Mane too, although not sure he would have signed another contract anyway.

Unfortunately some players join Saints because they see us as a stepping stone. It's worth it for Saints because we generally end up with better players than we'd otherwise have had and usually end up making a profit.

I'm certain we'll have tried to extend contracts, and some we do manage to keep for longer, but if they've joined with an eye on the exit door you'll never get them to sign an extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course its not, and it can go both ways as we have seen with Forster.

I recall Semmens or possibly Ross Wilson saying in one of the fans forums that we try to sign players knowing we can increase their pay with a new deal if we would like to.

Whilst its ultimately impossible to know what talks happen, I feel we could sometimes be a bit more aggressive in doing this a bit sooner when players have shown their value. For example, had we tried to extend Clyne and Wanyama one year into their 4 year contracts then surely that would have agreed to that?

Salisu could be a good example as reports indicate he may sign for four years. If after his first season he has done well, I would hope we try to extend his deal then, as otherwise the optimal selling point is not very far away.

Leicester seem to do this well, Chilwell signed a 5 year deal this season which means they can ask for mega money, Maddison about to as well. Good mechanism to protect your club.

Agree with the sentiment. Though, just my opinion, I don't think PEH had done anything in the first 1-2 seasons that warranted a new contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he really good enough to play for a top 6 club? Normally disappointed to see players leave for clubs above us but really not that bothered with this one. I think Spurs fans are going to be very underwhelmed by him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Agree with the sentiment. Though, just my opinion, I don't think PEH had done anything in the first 1-2 seasons that warranted a new contract. 

Very good point. It wasn't until 2018-19 (Year 3) that he started to show some potential - I thought that he was excellent that year, he even scored a few goals, but certainly hasn't kicked on from then in the last 12 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's obviously strong in some areas and not so so strong in others, whether he can improve remains to be seen. (especially under Mourinho) but Spurs must think he will and will mature into a well rounded centre mid, just like we will probably be thinking KWP can be moulded into the complete full back. 

Though from what I have seen of both players and know of both managers I think we are more likely to end up with a player worth a lot more than we paid.

But good deal overall, hopefully this can be done and sorted quickly so we can get his replacement in. 

If Reed does go for around £8 million and we have £20 million up front from Hojberg then that alone is a decent pot to work with even if this year's budget might be strained because of Covid (and yes there is the £10 million for Salisu).

I mean if we can get in a full back who has looked promising and is already integrated in the squad and the way Ralph works, plus a new promising centre-back, AND get rid of a wantaway midfielder who most of us think is upgradable AND player that hasn't even been in the squad for two years AND come out with about £5-6 million (plus some add ons) then that is IMO some smart business by the club. 

Hopefully if we can get someone like Mckennie in, and get the contracts of Bertrand, JWP and maybe Ings we are looking decently set for next year, with maybe some more funds available if we can shift the deadwood. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I often quote the Spurs fan in the office here. His take :

"I don't even know this Hojberg fella, but I know we don't need him. We have Winks for that role. We only need one DM, as we play 3CB and 2 WB. 1 DM and 2 AM. We have Winks, Ndombele already. Jose needs to get them two playing. You're welcome to Walker-Phillips (yeah he can't even get the name right) as we're going to be playing Sessegnon next season (he says Sess can play both sides, although not at once)."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simo said:

Do we know where they want Hojbjerg dropping yet , I'll book the taxi .

It'll probably be 40 yards back or sideways but definitely not forwards from where he says it is

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DT said:

It'll probably be 40 yards back or sideways but definitely not forwards from where he says it is

And if the taxi crashes he’ll arrive a few moments later waving his arms around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon it'll be what was reported by someone a few days ago - 18-20m guaranteed, rest in add-on's. Hopefully realistic ones.

8m guaranteed for KWP is my hunch, with the rest in add-ons. Not a bad deal for either all being told. Should break us even in the transfer funds. Will need to sell further before we can buy anymore unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon it'll be what was reported by someone a few days ago - 18-20m guaranteed, rest in add-on's. Hopefully realistic ones.

8m guaranteed for KWP is my hunch, with the rest in add-ons. Not a bad deal for either all being told. Should break us even in the transfer funds. Will need to sell further before we can buy anymore unfortunately.

Vestergaard and Reed with hopefully about 75 pence for Hoedt 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon it'll be what was reported by someone a few days ago - 18-20m guaranteed, rest in add-on's. Hopefully realistic ones.

8m guaranteed for KWP is my hunch, with the rest in add-ons. Not a bad deal for either all being told. Should break us even in the transfer funds. Will need to sell further before we can buy anymore unfortunately.

Ralph said that we would bring two in and then it would depend on who left. The two being KWP or another right back and Salisu. I take that to be the money spent on Salisu and KWP was part of the budget with anything else being funded by sales, much like Adams and Djenepo last summer. So I’d expect us to also sale reed and bring in a first choice replacement. We Will also bring in another CB if Vestegaard goes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Vestergaard and Reed with hopefully about 75 pence for Hoedt 

Steady on......Hoedt must have improved since I saw him. Like watching Bambi on ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Ralph said that we would bring two in and then it would depend on who left. The two being KWP or another right back and Salisu. I take that to be the money spent on Salisu and KWP was part of the budget with anything else being funded by sales, much like Adams and Djenepo last summer. So I’d expect us to also sale reed and bring in a first choice replacement. We Will also bring in another CB if Vestegaard goes.

Turkish are we interested in the Celtic midfielder and McKennie as potential replacements for Pierre? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spurs sources and SFC sources in not quite agreeing shock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Turkish are we interested in the Celtic midfielder and McKennie as potential replacements for Pierre? 

News to come in the next few days on potential signings to replace the average Dane. No Q&A for now please

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turkish said:

News to come in the next few days on potential signings to replace the average Dane. No Q&A for now please

 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to compare Hojbjerg leaving with other players who have left us in recent years. I'll group him with Jay Rodriguez. Decent player but not overly bothered by him leaving as I think we'll find a good replacement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

News to come in the next few days on potential signings to replace the average Dane. No Q&A for now please

 

Ok then I will stay patient ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Trying to compare Hojbjerg leaving with other players who have left us in recent years. I'll group him with Jay Rodriguez. Decent player but not overly bothered by him leaving as I think we'll find a good replacement

Jack Cork?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Trying to compare Hojbjerg leaving with other players who have left us in recent years. I'll group him with Jay Rodriguez. Decent player but not overly bothered by him leaving as I think we'll find a good replacement

 

3 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Jack Cork?

Cork left for Swansea, Rodriguez left for West Brom Neither of them were regulars for Saints at the time, so not really comparable with our (former) captain leaving for Tottenham.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Hojberg scores as many goals for Spurs as he has for us, Saints fans will be very pleased. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, on the one hand, reporters for BBC and the Echo say we have received much closer to our original asking price of £25 than was previously bid by Spurs, with one of them saying we are receiving £20m with add-ons.

On the other hand meanwhile a reporter for a football website is claiming we will receive £15m rising to £19m.

Firstly, I know which one of those sound most reputable to me and it's not the guy who works in internet journalism!

Secondly, though, while those figures do seem mutually exclusive I wonder if there is a way in which both can be correct or close to correct...?! Let me suggest one possibility...

* Spurs pay £15m up front. Then they will pay £4m in instalments over the next four years I e. £1m each year. On top of this they have a number of add-ons relating to number of appearances, success in Europe, International caps, etc.

In that scenario, both reports could be deemed to be vaguely correct. On the one hand, we are receiving in the area of £20m guaranteed (actually £19m but it's close!) with add-ons on top. On the other hand we ARE also being paid £15m rising to £19m - albeit there are other add-ons too!

Just a thought!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})