Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

36 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Cork left for Swansea, Rodriguez left for West Brom Neither of them were regulars for Saints at the time, so not really comparable with our (former) captain leaving for Tottenham.

Comparing quality level, not place in our pecking order. Cork had Wanyama and Schneiderlin for competition and Hojbjerg isn't anywhere near as good as they were. And lets be honest here, Spurs are skint and the reason they want Hojbjerg is because he solid, experienced, good age and his contract makes him relatively cheap, not because he's a world beater. Kind of like Cork when he left.

26 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, on the one hand, reporters for BBC and the Echo say we have received much closer to our original asking price of £25 than was previously bid by Spurs, with one of them saying we are receiving £20m with add-ons.

On the other hand meanwhile a reporter for a football website is claiming we will receive £15m rising to £19m.

Firstly, I know which one of those sound most reputable to me and it's not the guy who works in internet journalism!

Secondly, though, while those figures do seem mutually exclusive I wonder if there is a way in which both can be correct or close to correct...?! Let me suggest one possibility...

* Spurs pay £15m up front. Then they will pay £4m in instalments over the next four years I e. £1m each year. On top of this they have a number of add-ons relating to number of appearances, success in Europe, International caps, etc.

In that scenario, both reports could be deemed to be vaguely correct. On the one hand, we are receiving in the area of £20m guaranteed (actually £19m but it's close!) with add-ons on top. On the other hand we ARE also being paid £15m rising to £19m - albeit there are other add-ons too!

Just a thought!!

David Ornstein is very well respected and clued up about the London clubs. What he says about Arsenal is basically gospel.

It seems to me that Hojbrg not being in the Saints' team hasn't weakened the side at all.  The way is now open for other players to out perform Hojberg's record.  As far as goal scoring goes, 4 goals in four seasons and 3 seasons without out scoring at all, doesn't exactly set a high bar.  I can't work out how the player is worth the fee that has been agreed.  Walker-Peters, on the other hand, has demonstrated how good a player he is by his performances and speed in the 10-game sub-season after the restart.  I was concerned that Spurs would cotton-on the what they were losing and hike their price, or even withdraw KWP from sale. To exchange those two players with money left over to put towards the Salisu purchase seems an extremely good deal and I imagine he recruitment department are feeling justifiably satisfied. 

6 minutes ago, Professor said:

It seems to me that Hojbrg not being in the Saints' team hasn't weakened the side at all.  The way is now open for other players to out perform Hojberg's record.  As far as goal scoring goes, 4 goals in four seasons and 3 seasons without out scoring at all, doesn't exactly set a high bar.  I can't work out how the player is worth the fee that has been agreed.  Walker-Peters, on the other hand, has demonstrated how good a player he is by his performances and speed in the 10-game sub-season after the restart.  I was concerned that Spurs would cotton-on the what they were losing and hike their price, or even withdraw KWP from sale. To exchange those two players with money left over to put towards the Salisu purchase seems an extremely good deal and I imagine he recruitment department are feeling justifiably satisfied. 

Right now hojbjerg is exactly what spurs want, but I can't help feeling that when mourinho is gone he'll be a forgotten man (particularly as levy tends to select the opposite sort of manager to what he's just had).

He's great against the ball, he's disciplined, works hard, wins the ball back well, etc. This is what makes him a player that mourinho wants and what made him so effective when we were trying to grind out results last year. However, he's entirely limited on the ball, he's ponderous, his passing forward is bang average at best and his shooting is awful. The next progression in Ralf's master plan is about being effective with the ball - something that hojbjerg just isn't good enough at, which is why he had looked so poor in the latter part of the season.

IMO we're well shot of him and the fee feels like we've done very good business.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, igsey said:

David Ornstein is very well respected and clued up about the London clubs. What he says about Arsenal is basically gospel.

Yep.  Wouldn't dismiss The Athletic as not being reputable due to being "internet journalism" given the amount of writers from national/local print/television media they've picked up since launch.

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Right now hojbjerg is exactly what spurs want, but I can't help feeling that when mourinho is gone he'll be a forgotten man (particularly as levy tends to select the opposite sort of manager to what he's just had).

He's great against the ball, he's disciplined, works hard, wins the ball back well, etc. 

I'd argue he's not disciplined at all - and that's his biggest weakness. Positionally he's poor. If you want someone to track runners and/or hold the fort in front of the defence, he's not the guy for the job.

If you want someone to hare around the park and wave his arms at the guys desperately trying to fill in for the huge chasms he's left behind as he loses the ball for the umpteenth time and can't be bothered to sprint back, Hojbjerg's your man.

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I'd argue he's not disciplined at all - and that's his biggest weakness. Positionally he's poor. If you want someone to track runners and/or hold the fort in front of the defence, he's not the guy for the job.

If you want someone to hare around the park and wave his arms at the guys desperately trying to fill in for the huge chasms he's left behind as he loses the ball for the umpteenth time and can't be bothered to sprint back, Hojbjerg's your man.

I'll give you that he's poor in transition, but I don't think he's positionally poor when we're defending. Just woefully inept in possession which leads to him being out of position as you say when he inevitably loses the ball or turns possession over.

It still begs the question what exactly are spurs getting for their money? :)

Hojberg would be much more effective as a midfielder who presses high up the pitch to win the ball before laying it off to the more creative players rather than being a player that sits back and shields the defence.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

He's great against the ball, he's disciplined, works hard, wins the ball back well, etc. This is what makes him a player that mourinho wants and what made him so effective when we were trying to grind out results last year. However, he's entirely limited on the ball, he's ponderous, his passing forward is bang average at best and his shooting is awful. The next progression in Ralf's master plan is about being effective with the ball - something that hojbjerg just isn't good enough at, which is why he had looked so poor in the latter part of the season.

IMO we're well shot of him and the fee feels like we've done very good business.

I agree that he was in the side as DFM but when you look at our GA record with Pierre in the side, it wasn't that good, even excluding the 9-0.  Hard to recall previously selling a player for a fee of this kind that has been so welcomed by so many fans.  It's not that PEH wasn't liked but just that for that sort of fee you'd expect more of a stand-out kind of player.

I’ve often wondered if Ralph has seen the potential to switch position for any of our players.   Stephens being one those.  I think he has the attributes to be a CDM. On a separate note, as and when PEH gets his move does anybody think he’d receive a warm welcome Back (assuming crowds in) or otherwise? 

16 minutes ago, angelman said:

I'm wondering if we do sign Salisu, whether he can partner Bednarek, and push Stephens up to DM. To me he has shown that he can carry the ball forward quite well. 

Salisu can also operate as a CDM

7 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

On a separate note, as and when PEH gets his move does anybody think he’d receive a warm welcome Back (assuming crowds in) or otherwise? 

Would be fairly muted I'd imagine.... neither raptuous or hostile, hero nor villain.... very decent player for us and is leaving under relatively amicable circumstances but nowhere near club legend status. 

Edited by trousers
12 minutes ago, trousers said:

Would be fairly muted I'd imagine.... neither raptuous or hostile, hero nor villain.... very decent player for us and is leaving under relatively amicable circumstances but nowhere near club legend status. 

Might also depend on how he conducts himself in the media on leaving. Apart from that I'm indifferent, always seemed a decent bloke during his time with us though not as good as he thinks he is. Just a shame about the club he's joining.

Agree with you Badger..... I would imagine he will release a very pc media statement.  He certainly does not fit into the Lovren / VVD category for me.  Never a player that has “ got me off of my seat” but more a steady Eddy. Having popped onto a few Spurs forums I do wonder what they think they are getting. Let’s hope we get the better end of the deal. 

33 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

I’ve often wondered if Ralph has seen the potential to switch position for any of our players.   Stephens being one those.  I think he has the attributes to be a CDM. On a separate note, as and when PEH gets his move does anybody think he’d receive a warm welcome Back (assuming crowds in) or otherwise? 

Pierre who?

2 hours ago, angelman said:

I'm wondering if we do sign Salisu, whether he can partner Bednarek, and push Stephens up to DM. To me he has shown that he can carry the ball forward quite well. 

Doubtful as we don't really play with a proper DM. I just don't see Stephens being dynamic or mobile enough for Ralph's system. 

17 hours ago, igsey said:

Fair enough - but that doesn't really change my main point which was that it is possible for both the reports of The Echo & BBC South and the Spurs originated reports from Ornstein and co. to all be correct.

To explain again one possible way that this could work:

* Spurs pay £15m up front

* They pay further instalments up to about £19-£20m

* There are then add-ons beyond £20m

That could potentially satisfy all the various media reports, but presented differently and selectively by each club.

• Like 1

Read somewhere PEH is being paid 100k a week and having a multi million pound signing on fee due to smaller transfer fee. Looks like he wanted Spurs not Everton due to this.......maybe

Edited by dobbo
On 07/08/2020 at 21:56, dobbo said:

Read somewhere PEH is being paid 100k a week and having a multi million pound signing on fee due to smaller transfer fee. Looks like he wanted Spurs not Everton due to this.......maybe

Probably that and not being robbed at knife point within his own home.

On 07/08/2020 at 14:50, angelman said:

It’s taken Stephens long enough to become half decent at centre back, I don’t get this idea from a lot of our fans that he should play in midfield. Square pegs in round holes played a big part in our awful start to the season. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not in any world drunken or sober does jack Stephens have the attributes to play anywhere in midfield. 

He was a midfielder before a CB ;) He could play DM for us quite easily, but i think RH likes him in defence as he can play out / break the line. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LeG said:

He was a midfielder before a CB ;) He could play DM for us quite easily, but i think RH likes him in defence as he can play out / break the line. 

Didn't he arrive as a RB but was converted to CB? As to playing DM, as  CB he receives the ball in front of him and then uses it. Picking it up in the middle of the park is altogether different. Whether he has enough in his locker to play that role, I'm not sure. 

32 minutes ago, egg said:

Didn't he arrive as a RB but was converted to CB? As to playing DM, as  CB he receives the ball in front of him and then uses it. Picking it up in the middle of the park is altogether different. Whether he has enough in his locker to play that role, I'm not sure. 

Plus with tackles flying in from all angles. The myth seems to be because he’s good on the ball, one thing to be good on the ball with the whole game in front of you, quite another to do it in a 100 mph midfield battle. You need to be able to read the game and anticipate well, two things I don’t think he’s very good at unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Saint Shenton said:

Played there whilst on loan at Swindon, he did ok.

In the 3rd tier, 5+ years ago.

He really is not suited to playing as a midfielder in the role Hasenhuttl requires. He isn't mobile enough.

In your opinion.

JS has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't be adverse to seeing if he could do it as he is quite clearly a bit of a 'footballer'.

I see that Harrison Reed is finally, in some respects, getting the noteriety he deserves as a decent player on here now after years of being written off. This forum is classic. Loads of people rating cr4p like Forster, Gunn, Hoedt, Hojberg etc but also quite happy to consistently write off the likes of McCarthy, Reed etc...

Every now and then though, the penny does drop.

59 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:
1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

In the 3rd tier, 5+ years ago.

He really is not suited to playing as a midfielder in the role Hasenhuttl requires. He isn't mobile enough.

In your opinion.

JS has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't be adverse to seeing if he could do it as he is quite clearly a bit of a 'footballer'.

I see that Harrison Reed is finally, in some respects, getting the noteriety he deserves as a decent player on here now after years of being written off. This forum is classic. Loads of people rating cr4p like Forster, Gunn, Hoedt, Hojberg etc but also quite happy to consistently write off the likes of McCarthy, Reed etc...

Every now and then though, the penny does drop. It probably won't with you though, as you never make any admission of being wrong, ever.

37 minutes ago, Saint Shenton said:

Played there whilst on loan at Swindon, he did ok.

That’s alright then, played mainly centre back but a mere handful of games there for the mighty Swindon. He is not mobile enough, not dynamic enough, not quick enough on the ball, doesn’t read the game quick enough, touch isn’t tight enough and doesn’t move the ball quick enough. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

That’s alright then, played mainly centre back but a mere handful of games there for the mighty Swindon. He is not mobile enough, not dynamic enough, not quick enough on the ball, doesn’t read the game quick enough, touch isn’t tight enough and doesn’t move the ball quick enough. 

But apart from that, he’d be perfect!

• Like 1

Wow! its is amazing what folks type - "oooh 5+ years ago at 3rd tier Swindon" cripes "the lads a steaming pile of manure" "you must have potatoes in your head to think he could that or even contemplate being a Premier League player!!"

Whilst I am not saying that JS could play a DM role, the fact he is 5 years smarter (more experienced) seemingly counts for diddly squat in some folks minds - the lad learned to tie his boot laces at Home Park, Devon. then the County Ground in Wiltshire Hmmmmmm - if only he and learned to do that at La Masia in Barcelona "we could try him up front then".

Fifa on Playstation is a game,  the people aren't real, your team are only as good as your fingers make them work................ if you have been playing footie on a games consul for 5 years if you could play yourself from 5 years ago you'd be smashed off the park. The real Maldini, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, they weren't always the players everyone got to fawn over: and I am not saying JS make their level (bloody great if he did) 

Jack Stephens is a damn sight better than some folks give him credit for.

Anyway we have all digressed, this is about Hojbjerg: hopefully by teatime it'll all be done and dusted.

Edited by John Boy Saint
1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Wow! its is amazing what folks type - "oooh 5+ years ago at 3rd tier Swindon" cripes "the lads a steaming pile of manure" "you must have potatoes in your head to think he could that or even contemplate being a Premier League player!!"

Whilst I am not saying that JS could play a DM role, the fact he is 5 years smarter (more experienced) seemingly counts for diddly squat in some folks minds - the lad learned to tie his boot laces at Home Park, Devon. then the County Ground in Wiltshire Hmmmmmm - if only he and learned to do that at La Masia in Barcelona "we could try him up front then".

Fifa on Playstation is a game,  the people aren't real, your team are only as good as your fingers make them work................ if you have been playing footie on a games consul for 5 years if you could play yourself from 5 years ago you'd be smashed off the park. The real Maldini, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, they weren't always the players everyone got to fawn over: and I am not saying JS make their level (bloody great if he did) 

Jack Stephens is a damn sight better than some folks give him credit for.

Anyway we have all digressed, this is about Hojbjerg: hopefully by teatime it'll all be done and dusted.

Yes he could play there, but i could play that role too, if either of us would be any good at it is kind of the point.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes he could play there, but i could play that role too, if either of us would be any good at it is kind of the point.

I get the point totally - its the fact in some quarters that he played at Swindon as a nipper - that's it the lad is always going to be a 3rd division player until they screw the lid down on his box.......he could pop up and score the World Cup winner for England in the World Cup still as a Saints player (having played a season with a 38 game consecutive clean sheet defence ) instantly a national hero: on here "yeah but he played for Swindon 8 years ago......we could get a better player". 

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Surprised Adam Blackmore said last week it was £25m, and it's now down to £17-18m with addons? hmm....

I don't think he did ever say Spurs were offering £25m.

Plus BBC Radio Solent are saying it is up-to £20m with add-ons...

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He did say they valued him at £25m and then another tweet said they'd met the valuation...wrong assumption.

This its a shame we haven't got more for him, especially if its addon based

Get what you mean, but it’s Levy & I’m of the mind that it’s good to get it done early.

Plus securing KWP is a win-win for me.

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Get what you mean, but it’s Levy & I’m of the mind that it’s good to get it done early.

Plus securing KWP is a win-win for me.

Yep, all round reasonably good deal! 

Just can't see what Hoj is going to add to their team.  In fact, I struggled to see what he offered us at all.  (Happy to be proven wrong on the latter statement)

Us, on the other hand, are signing someone who's proven to perform time and time again in red and white. Great deal.

Not much chance of getting add-ons unless they’re going to pay us extra for his crap touch, abysmal passing or his clapping.

Crap player who we can easily improve on.  No loss whatsoever.  Not got a clue why Spurs want him when they’ve got much better players in Winks and Dembele in that position.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't think he did ever say Spurs were offering £25m.

Plus BBC Radio Solent are saying it is up-to £20m with add-ons...

Do some clubs insist on NDAs from the other party?

I do remember reading a good article some time ago, that basically said the fees are never really that accurate. Buying clubs tend to under state things, selling clubs overstate. That is if either mention it. Some chairmen apparently like to bandy about figures to appease the fans. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs