Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

I’ve often wondered if Ralph has seen the potential to switch position for any of our players.   Stephens being one those.  I think he has the attributes to be a CDM. On a separate note, as and when PEH gets his move does anybody think he’d receive a warm welcome Back (assuming crowds in) or otherwise? 

7 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

On a separate note, as and when PEH gets his move does anybody think he’d receive a warm welcome Back (assuming crowds in) or otherwise? 

Would be fairly muted I'd imagine.... neither raptuous or hostile, hero nor villain.... very decent player for us and is leaving under relatively amicable circumstances but nowhere near club legend status. 

Edited by trousers

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

Would be fairly muted I'd imagine.... neither raptuous or hostile, hero nor villain.... very decent player for us and is leaving under relatively amicable circumstances but nowhere near club legend status. 

Might also depend on how he conducts himself in the media on leaving. Apart from that I'm indifferent, always seemed a decent bloke during his time with us though not as good as he thinks he is. Just a shame about the club he's joining.

Agree with you Badger..... I would imagine he will release a very pc media statement.  He certainly does not fit into the Lovren / VVD category for me.  Never a player that has “ got me off of my seat” but more a steady Eddy. Having popped onto a few Spurs forums I do wonder what they think they are getting. Let’s hope we get the better end of the deal. 

33 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

I’ve often wondered if Ralph has seen the potential to switch position for any of our players.   Stephens being one those.  I think he has the attributes to be a CDM. On a separate note, as and when PEH gets his move does anybody think he’d receive a warm welcome Back (assuming crowds in) or otherwise? 

Pierre who?

2 hours ago, angelman said:

I'm wondering if we do sign Salisu, whether he can partner Bednarek, and push Stephens up to DM. To me he has shown that he can carry the ball forward quite well. 

Doubtful as we don't really play with a proper DM. I just don't see Stephens being dynamic or mobile enough for Ralph's system. 

17 hours ago, igsey said:

David Ornstein is very well respected and clued up about the London clubs. What he says about Arsenal is basically gospel.

Fair enough - but that doesn't really change my main point which was that it is possible for both the reports of The Echo & BBC South and the Spurs originated reports from Ornstein and co. to all be correct.

To explain again one possible way that this could work:

* Spurs pay £15m up front

* They pay further instalments up to about £19-£20m

* There are then add-ons beyond £20m

That could potentially satisfy all the various media reports, but presented differently and selectively by each club.

• Like 1

Read somewhere PEH is being paid 100k a week and having a multi million pound signing on fee due to smaller transfer fee. Looks like he wanted Spurs not Everton due to this.......maybe

Edited by dobbo

On 07/08/2020 at 21:56, dobbo said:

Read somewhere PEH is being paid 100k a week and having a multi million pound signing on fee due to smaller transfer fee. Looks like he wanted Spurs not Everton due to this.......maybe

Probably that and not being robbed at knife point within his own home.

On 07/08/2020 at 14:50, angelman said:

I'm wondering if we do sign Salisu, whether he can partner Bednarek, and push Stephens up to DM. To me he has shown that he can carry the ball forward quite well. 

It’s taken Stephens long enough to become half decent at centre back, I don’t get this idea from a lot of our fans that he should play in midfield. Square pegs in round holes played a big part in our awful start to the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeG said:

He was a midfielder before a CB ;) He could play DM for us quite easily, but i think RH likes him in defence as he can play out / break the line. 

Didn't he arrive as a RB but was converted to CB? As to playing DM, as  CB he receives the ball in front of him and then uses it. Picking it up in the middle of the park is altogether different. Whether he has enough in his locker to play that role, I'm not sure. 

32 minutes ago, egg said:

Didn't he arrive as a RB but was converted to CB? As to playing DM, as  CB he receives the ball in front of him and then uses it. Picking it up in the middle of the park is altogether different. Whether he has enough in his locker to play that role, I'm not sure. 

Plus with tackles flying in from all angles. The myth seems to be because he’s good on the ball, one thing to be good on the ball with the whole game in front of you, quite another to do it in a 100 mph midfield battle. You need to be able to read the game and anticipate well, two things I don’t think he’s very good at unfortunately 

In your opinion.

JS has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't be adverse to seeing if he could do it as he is quite clearly a bit of a 'footballer'.

I see that Harrison Reed is finally, in some respects, getting the noteriety he deserves as a decent player on here now after years of being written off. This forum is classic. Loads of people rating cr4p like Forster, Gunn, Hoedt, Hojberg etc but also quite happy to consistently write off the likes of McCarthy, Reed etc...

Every now and then though, the penny does drop.

59 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:
1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

In the 3rd tier, 5+ years ago.

He really is not suited to playing as a midfielder in the role Hasenhuttl requires. He isn't mobile enough.

In your opinion.

JS has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't be adverse to seeing if he could do it as he is quite clearly a bit of a 'footballer'.

I see that Harrison Reed is finally, in some respects, getting the noteriety he deserves as a decent player on here now after years of being written off. This forum is classic. Loads of people rating cr4p like Forster, Gunn, Hoedt, Hojberg etc but also quite happy to consistently write off the likes of McCarthy, Reed etc...

Every now and then though, the penny does drop. It probably won't with you though, as you never make any admission of being wrong, ever.

37 minutes ago, Saint Shenton said:

Played there whilst on loan at Swindon, he did ok.

That’s alright then, played mainly centre back but a mere handful of games there for the mighty Swindon. He is not mobile enough, not dynamic enough, not quick enough on the ball, doesn’t read the game quick enough, touch isn’t tight enough and doesn’t move the ball quick enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

That’s alright then, played mainly centre back but a mere handful of games there for the mighty Swindon. He is not mobile enough, not dynamic enough, not quick enough on the ball, doesn’t read the game quick enough, touch isn’t tight enough and doesn’t move the ball quick enough. 

But apart from that, he’d be perfect!

• Like 1

Wow! its is amazing what folks type - "oooh 5+ years ago at 3rd tier Swindon" cripes "the lads a steaming pile of manure" "you must have potatoes in your head to think he could that or even contemplate being a Premier League player!!"

Whilst I am not saying that JS could play a DM role, the fact he is 5 years smarter (more experienced) seemingly counts for diddly squat in some folks minds - the lad learned to tie his boot laces at Home Park, Devon. then the County Ground in Wiltshire Hmmmmmm - if only he and learned to do that at La Masia in Barcelona "we could try him up front then".

Fifa on Playstation is a game,  the people aren't real, your team are only as good as your fingers make them work................ if you have been playing footie on a games consul for 5 years if you could play yourself from 5 years ago you'd be smashed off the park. The real Maldini, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, they weren't always the players everyone got to fawn over: and I am not saying JS make their level (bloody great if he did) 

Jack Stephens is a damn sight better than some folks give him credit for.

Anyway we have all digressed, this is about Hojbjerg: hopefully by teatime it'll all be done and dusted.

Edited by John Boy Saint

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Wow! its is amazing what folks type - "oooh 5+ years ago at 3rd tier Swindon" cripes "the lads a steaming pile of manure" "you must have potatoes in your head to think he could that or even contemplate being a Premier League player!!"

Whilst I am not saying that JS could play a DM role, the fact he is 5 years smarter (more experienced) seemingly counts for diddly squat in some folks minds - the lad learned to tie his boot laces at Home Park, Devon. then the County Ground in Wiltshire Hmmmmmm - if only he and learned to do that at La Masia in Barcelona "we could try him up front then".

Fifa on Playstation is a game,  the people aren't real, your team are only as good as your fingers make them work................ if you have been playing footie on a games consul for 5 years if you could play yourself from 5 years ago you'd be smashed off the park. The real Maldini, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, they weren't always the players everyone got to fawn over: and I am not saying JS make their level (bloody great if he did) 

Jack Stephens is a damn sight better than some folks give him credit for.

Anyway we have all digressed, this is about Hojbjerg: hopefully by teatime it'll all be done and dusted.

Yes he could play there, but i could play that role too, if either of us would be any good at it is kind of the point.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes he could play there, but i could play that role too, if either of us would be any good at it is kind of the point.

I get the point totally - its the fact in some quarters that he played at Swindon as a nipper - that's it the lad is always going to be a 3rd division player until they screw the lid down on his box.......he could pop up and score the World Cup winner for England in the World Cup still as a Saints player (having played a season with a 38 game consecutive clean sheet defence ) instantly a national hero: on here "yeah but he played for Swindon 8 years ago......we could get a better player". 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He did say they valued him at £25m and then another tweet said they'd met the valuation...wrong assumption.

This its a shame we haven't got more for him, especially if its addon based

Get what you mean, but it’s Levy & I’m of the mind that it’s good to get it done early.

Plus securing KWP is a win-win for me.

Just can't see what Hoj is going to add to their team.  In fact, I struggled to see what he offered us at all.  (Happy to be proven wrong on the latter statement)

Us, on the other hand, are signing someone who's proven to perform time and time again in red and white. Great deal.

Not much chance of getting add-ons unless they’re going to pay us extra for his crap touch, abysmal passing or his clapping.

Crap player who we can easily improve on.  No loss whatsoever.  Not got a clue why Spurs want him when they’ve got much better players in Winks and Dembele in that position.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't think he did ever say Spurs were offering £25m.

Plus BBC Radio Solent are saying it is up-to £20m with add-ons...

Do some clubs insist on NDAs from the other party?

I do remember reading a good article some time ago, that basically said the fees are never really that accurate. Buying clubs tend to under state things, selling clubs overstate. That is if either mention it. Some chairmen apparently like to bandy about figures to appease the fans. 

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is the £12m fee after add ons have been included or are there no add ons for KWP? Adam's tweet is not 100% clear.

What are the add ons? Are they amounts that will definitely be paid no matter what (but occur after a period of time) or are they fees that are dependant on games, trophies or another set of criteria that may or may not need to be paid? 

Of course, if the KWP add ons are when he plays 20 games, whilst Hoj's are when Spurs win the CL, then they are not comparable, but I am guessing they are similar.

I think £12m is probably the going rate for a fullback of KWP's experience. I liked what KWP did going forward and he showed decent pace. Not convinced by his positioning or back post prowess, but hopefully he can improve there. Loved his commitment to the cause. 

No idea if £18m is fair for Hoj, with one year left. There are certainly some crazy prices bandied about for players with 12 months left on contracts, but this feels about right, especially in the current financial climate. As always, the question is how we spend the money to replace him, assuming we do.

28 minutes ago, igsey said:

I think he'll do okay for Spurs, he's a Mourinho-type player.

When Mou has a tantrum and gets sacked next season, I think Hoj will find himself out of favour and warming the bench.

That's exactly how I see it. He is not a Spurs level player imo, we are more his level but his strengths suit Mourinho. 

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Spurs fans appear generally happy with the deal

I just cant really understand why...

He's at best a bang average player at a (this season) mid table club and they have ambitions of a top 4 place and winning trophies.

Still let them believe they got a good deal and that KWP isnt the better player :)

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Spurs fans appear generally happy with the deal

Understandable.
A relatively cheap player who is captain of another prem club, just turned 25, in a position that they need reinforcements. I think they’ve got a good deal there, and he will improve their side. 
still don’t think they’ll do anything over the next few years though, and surely Kane will be off soon. 

KWP should be a great signing, though he's not a Jose player as he goes forwards.

All the best to Hojberg, he was okay for us at times, but you do wonder if Jose might train the last ounce of quality out of him as he did with Morgan Schneiderlin...this deal  has a similar feel.

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I just cant really understand why...

He's at best a bang average player at a (this season) mid table club and they have ambitions of a top 4 place and winning trophies.

Still let them believe they got a good deal and that KWP isnt the better player :)

Coz they're skint and have been playing a double pivot of Winks and Sissoko.

Good luck to him, on balance he’s been a decent signing for us and I am sorry to see him go. His attitude and attainment have been first class and they are by far his biggest asset. 

I certainly don’t see him as a top 4 player, his game is limited, I think we’re his level and I’d even say that for us to kick on he’d be the kind of player i’d be looking to improve on. 

Football is a funny old game though, when they signed him, who’d have thought Henderson would be Football Writers' player of the year after captaining Liverpool to the title

Hoj could go on to be a World class, you never know, I’ve not seen anything other than his attitude to suggest that could be possible though

9 hours ago, igsey said:

Coz they're skint and have been playing a double pivot of Winks and Sissoko.

Being skint doesn't matter to the majority of fans and spurs fans aren't exactly known for being the rational or realistic...

I'm just surprised there isn't a major spurs meltdown going on based on a lack of ambition, etc, etc

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs