Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Understandable.
A relatively cheap player who is captain of another prem club, just turned 25, in a position that they need reinforcements. I think they’ve got a good deal there, and he will improve their side. 
still don’t think they’ll do anything over the next few years though, and surely Kane will be off soon. 

If that was their thinking then sure, but I've seen plenty of Spurs fans under the impression they're signing our best player and the best centre midfielder outside the top 6 🤔

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If that was their thinking then sure, but I've seen plenty of Spurs fans under the impression they're signing our best player and the best centre midfielder outside the top 6 🤔

Boy are they in for a shock 😂

Good luck to him, as has been said he’s been decent for us mainly, I think we are his level but time will tell. 

18 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Distracted Boyfriend Meme |  SAINTS FC; HOJBJERG; MIDFIELDER THAT CAN PASS FORWARD ONCE IN A WHILE | image tagged in memes,distracted boyfriend | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Love it!!!

Question people need to ask regarding the price is would you want us to sign him for £15-20m? Would that be cheap, overpriced or about right? 

I dont think I'd want him at all. 

Decent enough deal for me given length of outstanding contract period. 

Very hopeful by what is happening with the squad...

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What do we think, in 18 months times he’s become a top player and this place will be full of people whinging we should have done more to keep him.

I think he will become a top player, and I think the fee is at the bottom end of what I'd expect, but I understand why.  More difficult to drive the price up when we want KWP and he only wants to go there.

Good luck to him.

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What do we think, in 18 months times he’s become a top player and this place will be full of people whinging we should have done more to keep him.

Mourinho will have gone in 18 months' time, and the new manager won't be building a team around captain wavey hands.

A lot of comments on here annoy me. He's a proven player at Premiership level and his stats for every season (including this one) speak for themselves. He is the best (or maybe second best) in the league at breaking up play and intercepting the opponent. He is the perfect player for Ralph's double pivot and yes he is not the most progressive player but he disrupts the opponent and protects the defense.

He has also given us 4 years of loyal service. When he signed I suspect it was on the promise that like with many we would be a shop window to a bigger club, much the same as Morgan, Mane and others. This was (still is???) our big USP to prospective players. We sign players from big clubs (like Bayern), allow them to develop then sell for a profit. That is our model and we should enjoy the players whilst we can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

A lot of comments on here annoy me. He's a proven player at Premiership level and his stats for every season (including this one) speak for themselves. He is the best (or maybe second best) in the league at breaking up play and intercepting the opponent. He is the perfect player for Ralph's double pivot and yes he is not the most progressive player but he disrupts the opponent and protects the defense.

He has also given us 4 years of loyal service. When he signed I suspect it was on the promise that like with many we would be a shop window to a bigger club, much the same as Morgan, Mane and others. This was (still is???) our big USP to prospective players. We sign players from big clubs (like Bayern), allow them to develop then sell for a profit. That is our model and we should enjoy the players whilst we can.

Stats are stats, but I've watched him in every home game for the last 4 seasons and he infuriates me and bores me senseless. One of the prime reasons we have been so awful at home. We play more progressive and positive without him in the side.

I can't say I've enjoyed him at all.

Edited by S-Clarke

He is absolutely a  Mourinho player.  Loads of 'energy', good attitude and breaks up play

would do well sat in front of the back 3 or 4/  Breaking up play and giving the ball 5 yards. anything more than that, he is no where near as good as he thinks he is.

If I was a Spurs fan and demanding CL football, his signing would be a huge let down

15 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think he will become a top player, and I think the fee is at the bottom end of what I'd expect, but I understand why.  More difficult to drive the price up when we want KWP and he only wants to go there.

Good luck to him.

I dont think he will. He's good at what he does but technically he's not great. His passing and shooting are pretty poor and at 25 it realistically isn't going to get much better now which will hold him back from being a truly class player. However the media seem to love him for some reason so i'm sure a few good games and he'll be hyped up beyond belief and there will be meltdown on here that we've sold an amazing player too cheaply. 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Stats are stats, but I've watched him in every home game for the last 4 seasons and he infuriates me and bores me senseless. One of the prime reasons we have been so awful at home. We play more progressive and positive without him in the side.

I can't say I've enjoyed him at all.

Without him in the side we have tended to play Romeu in his place.

Does that one change really make us "more progressive and positive"?

Do you really think one of the prime reasons we have been poor at home is Hojbjerg?

---------------------

IMO good luck to the lad, another successful stepping stone move for a wholehearted player who always gives his best and is clearly a good professional and who has seemingly only ever been honest with the club. Can't ask for much more.

Good luck to the man. Dedicated, level headed and extremely professional. As a player he always put in a shift (thinking of his empassioned slide tackle in the dying minutes at Fratton Park), and deserves a chance to test himself at Spurs.

Not amazingly dynamic or forward-thinking, mainly opting for a short sideways or backwards pass, but good at breaking up play at high tempo.

Best of luck to him. If Romeu can keep the decent standard post-lockdown I hope we won't really notice Hojbjerg's absence.

21 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I just cant really understand why...

He's at best a bang average player at a (this season) mid table club and they have ambitions of a top 4 place and winning trophies.

Still let them believe they got a good deal and that KWP isnt the better player :)

Their defensive midfield option is Dier at the end of the day...

At last. Saints have quite conveniently hidden his departure confirmation right at the bottom of the KWP piece. Parking the bad news 😉

Although, I wouldn't say this is particularly bad news.

Sky sports did a piece on him and said he could add what they've missed since Eriksen because of his forward penetration. Are they having an absolute giraffe?

In total, 37 per cent of Hojbjerg's passes were directed upfield this season, which is something Spurs have struggled to achieve for some time - particularly since another Dane, Christian Eriksen, left the club.

Hojbjerg attempted 289 passes into the final third - a total surpassed by only 10 other players this season. Those risky passes reduce his accuracy, but Spurs needed an injection of forward momentum in their midfield

That is why reading stats and stats alone is a very, very dangerous game. I think they're in for an incredible surprise when he sits foot in their stadium.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

At last. Saints have quite conveniently hidden his departure confirmation right at the bottom of the KWP piece. Parking the bad news 😉

Sky sports did a piece on him and said he could add what they've missed since Eriksen because of his forward penetration. Are they having an absolute giraffe?

No, to be fair I think he absolutely could fill that void Eriksen has left and I urge all Saints fans to tell Spurs supporters this.  In fact I think he's probably better than Eriksen.  The meltdown when they realise he's not will be priceless.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

Without him in the side we have tended to play Romeu in his place.

Does that one change really make us "more progressive and positive"?

Do you really think one of the prime reasons we have been poor at home is Hojbjerg?

---------------------

IMO good luck to the lad, another successful stepping stone move for a wholehearted player who always gives his best and is clearly a good professional and who has seemingly only ever been honest with the club. Can't ask for much more.

i think the point is, that with PEH leaving we aren't really weakened. With KWP joining we are massivley strengthend. We make money out of this deal.

I say fair play to PEH, he's come here and always put in a shift, always been the one to come out and face the media and fans after bad results etc. You can't fault him on those fronts. He is more than entitled to leave for a bigger club if he wants to, his contract is running out and he's managed to get a bigger team than saints to sign him - so fair play tbh.

He's been a good servant to the club, but he won't be a lifer etc. we'd have been relegated without his efforts and i'll wish him well in the future (but not against us obviously). Hopefully most saints fan's see it that way. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Maybe Spurs are planning on telling him they're shooting the other way.

It'll be non-stop attacking through-balls from him.

In all seriousness, there's a good player there for Spurs, especially if a manager manages to take advantage of the stuff he's good at (which he's VERY good at) and minimise the stuff he's not so good at. Whether Mourinho is that manager, time will tell.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

Wish him all the best but in all honesty I don’t think I’ve ever watched him and thought, "aaah, I’ll be gutted when he leaves!" Like I did with Mané, Tadic and Van Dijk.

There’ll be no animosity from me when he comes back to St Mary’s, his attitude has always been spot on if nothing else. Good luck Pierre.

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion here but I think Spurs have got a bargain for 15M + ‘bonuses’. Some people on here are down playing his ability because he wanted to leave. Its similar to a situation a found myself in a few years ago. Allowed a relationship to end because I couldn’t really be arsed to convince her it could work. Was blagging to my pals she weren’t all that etc.  Wasn’t offered any money or RWB in exchange for her but It turned out finding a decent replacement was harder than I thought. She ending up fucking some Banking guy who had a David Lloyd’s membership and went on a holiday to Dubai whilst I got lumbered with Hackney’s equivalent of Oriol Romeu every 3 months or so. 

• Haha 4

Fairplay to him , got his big money move and a slightly better chance at playing champions league football. But as a lot of others have said I'm not really bothered at his departure tbh. Also is he the first player who didn't get a announcement of his own that he'd left ?

1 minute ago, simo said:

Fairplay to him , got his big money move and a slightly better chance at playing champions league football. But as a lot of others have said I'm not really bothered at his departure tbh. Also is he the first player who didn't get a announcement of his own that he'd left ?

Yeah, it was a bit odd. Just hidden right at the bottom of an arrival.

The club were making such big noises about keeping both deals separate, yet they plant his departure on the same article as KWP's arrival! Never mind, no drama. Will be kind of interested to see how he does at Spurs, but I'm not too bothered.

Good luck to Pierre.  Actually quite interested to see how he does.  I don't rate him as highly as I did Morgan or Vic respectively, but Carlo & Jose seem to think he's mustard.

Good to get the deal done this quickly (& great to get KWP over the line too).

Now to see how Ralph thinks it's best to go about filling the midfield gap.

This transfer and spurs in general Summed up by someone on twitter....

the sort of transfer that 2010 (the banter years of Andy Carroll,  shelvey, Paul konchesky etc..) Liverpool would have made. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Wish him all the best but in all honesty I don’t think I’ve ever watched him and though, "aaah, I’ll be gutted when he leaves!" Like it did with Mané, Tadic and Van Dijk.

There’ll be no animosity From me when he comes back to St Mary’s, his attitude has always been spot on if nothing else. Good luck Pierre.

This. 

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Wish him all the best but in all honesty I don’t think I’ve ever watched him and though, "aaah, I’ll be gutted when he leaves!" Like it did with Mané, Tadic and Van Dijk.

There’ll be no animosity From me when he comes back to St Mary’s, his attitude has always been spot on if nothing else. Good luck Pierre.

Exactly my thoughts

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Wish him all the best but in all honesty I don’t think I’ve ever watched him and thought, "aaah, I’ll be gutted when he leaves!" Like I did with Mané, Tadic and Van Dijk.

There’ll be no animosity from me when he comes back to St Mary’s, his attitude has always been spot on if nothing else. Good luck Pierre.

Exactly.   Gave Saints 4 pretty good years - and towards the end showed respect for the Club while the transfer process took place.    Nothing like the wrench of Mane and Van Dijk leaving....or the Toby A. debacle.

3 minutes ago, Batman said:

Good luck to him

Decent player with a great attitude.

What utter BS - how is it good attitude when he cost us around £5M less by insisting on joining Spuds when others had offered more? Just anther greedy kunt who thinks he is more important than he really is. If a player wants to move than fine, but why should he not hold a club to ransom that has given him the opportunity to develop and showcase himself? He is as much a snake as VVD, Banana man, etc., just a bit more subtle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He's strong in the tackle and usually shows good commitment for the team (although I thought he lacked professionalism as captain publicy stating he wanted to leave while we were still fighting for guaranteed safety) but personally I'm surprised he became the coveted player in our ranks. His decision making and inaccuracy of passing always left us vulnerable. I guess his short contract alerted the bargain hunters.

With 1 year left and as a player that I've often considered frustrating, I'm very happy with this deal. Hopefully our replacement can add a little more creativity and assurance to our midfield.

Edited by Disco Stu

8 hours ago, austsaint said:

Exactly.   Gave Saints 4 pretty good years - and towards the end showed respect for the Club while the transfer process took place.    Nothing like the wrench of Mane and Van Dijk leaving....or the Toby A. debacle.

Or Nivea boy he liked to throw his toys out the pram 😂

Edited by Mr X

9 hours ago, Red said:

What utter BS - how is it good attitude when he cost us around £5M less by insisting on joining Spuds when others had offered more? Just anther greedy kunt who thinks he is more important than he really is. If a player wants to move than fine, but why should he not hold a club to ransom that has given him the opportunity to develop and showcase himself? He is as much a snake as VVD, Banana man, etc., just a bit more subtle.

With out wanting to be rude, this is one of the more moronic posts on this thread.

• Like 1

"For four years at Southampton I felt the love from the players, staff, club and fans.

"I did all I could to return that love to every single one of you.

"Thank you and good luck. PEH."

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, angelman said:

With out wanting to be rude, this is one of the more moronic posts on this thread.

What being rude got to do with the price of fish?

This is a forum for opinions - if you don't like mine just ignore it! However don't be ignorant enough to think everyone has to think like you. Appreciate it's not your money so you probably don't give a hoot, but I do not want the club I support being taken advantage of (neither does the club BTW - and yes I know for a fact - again believe or not I don't really care!)