Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He's already pretty insane, he's only just turned 20 and has nearly 100 senior goals in like 140 games. Including now 6 in 7 for Norway and 15 in 15 in European games.

If he improves he is going to be Messi/Ronaldo levels of goalscoring records. 

His off the ball movement is what impresses me much, so intelligent at timing runs and finding space in the box that it often means the finish is pretty simple. Really hope he doesn't end up at Utd. 

---------------------------

Good to see Elyounoussi doing well, two nice goals. I know its only Celtic but hes doing well in Europe as well, should at least raise his value if we want to sell him end of the season. 

Very good to see.  He seems to struggle when they play different systems.  Coming off the left side is his best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Very good to see.  He seems to struggle when they play different systems.  Coming off the left side is his best. 

Which is ironically where we’re struggling. 
 

There’s a player in there, just not sure he’s suited to the pace of the PL or would be fit enough to keep up with Ralph’s demands. Celtic probably about his level in all honesty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SKD said:

Which is ironically where we’re struggling. 
 

There’s a player in there, just not sure he’s suited to the pace of the PL or would be fit enough to keep up with Ralph’s demands. Celtic probably about his level in all honesty. 

I think you're probably right, although I'd like to see him given a chance next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still looks painfully slow running with the ball. First goal was a superficially nice finish, but the keeper was stranded and he had literally no defender to beat carrying the ball forward. Essentially invited to bend it into an empty net from 20 yards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ely is going to divide the fanbase forevermore. Those who see what he's doing and think "hey, come and do that for us" and those that disregard what he does and say he's not suited to the EPL and "it's only park football in Scotland." To those I say he is doing it in the Europa League.

Anyway, Ralph isn't going to give him a chance, so we'll watch him from afar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't see him working out in the PL. He's too slow to be a winger. And too easily brushed off the ball. He's got some techincal ability, but that's about all you can say for him.

A really damning cock up from the recruitment department, given that they'd boasted of having scouted him for about five years before taking the plunge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I just can't see him working out in the PL. He's too slow to be a winger. And too easily brushed off the ball. He's got some techincal ability, but that's about all you can say for him.

A really damning cock up from the recruitment department, given that they'd boasted of having scouted him for about five years before taking the plunge.

Agreed, too slow and no motor for the pressing game. Can he even tackle?

Seems a nice fella, though...

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's "found his level" I feel. I just can't see him ever being a success in the PL, he doesn't have any standout characteristics. 

He's not quick, he's not skillful, he's not great shooting from distance and he doesn't read the game particularly well....I'd be shocked if he comes back and is a success, but obviously if he comes back and trains to be a success in this system, and Ralph thinks he's good enough, he'll have my backing, just cant see it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the posts above. When he was here, he was given chances, even under Ralph, but he did not have a single impact in the majority of his appearances, even against Derby and just looked a level below the quality required.

I know there is the occasional gem at Celtic, as we more than most have found in recent years. However, it wasn’t too long ago that Scott Sinclair and Patrick Roberts were the star wingers at Celtic, also scoring in Europe, so I don’t know how much we can read into Elyounoussi’s performances currently. We also saw Forster become the star in Scotland again last season and he too helped them overcome Lazio in the Europa League, but now he’s back on our bench and looks to be there until his contact expires...

But, also if his performances help make a club come in permanently for him then I am all for it! 

Edited by HarvSFC
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's "found his level" I feel. I just can't see him ever being a success in the PL, he doesn't have any standout characteristics. 

He's not quick, he's not skillful, he's not great shooting from distance and he doesn't read the game particularly well....I'd be shocked if he comes back and is a success, but obviously if he comes back and trains to be a success in this system, and Ralph thinks he's good enough, he'll have my backing, just cant see it...

I think you’re probably right — At the minute, I’d say if we are in a situation where we get some money for him next summer it’s a win-win.

Who knows what the football landscape will be like next summer — will probably have to hope a promoted side comes in for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Micky said:

Hattrick now...

Glad to see he's progressing, would be nice if one of our "failed" signings actually turned it round. Could be a Redmond replacement if we cash in on him next summer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nonsense about the mobile phone checking after being subbed seems to have gone away. The Celtic fans thought it was Lennon and his mates Lambert and Sutton trying to deflect from the Slavia Prague debacle. s

Won’t fit Ralph’s system but could sell now for a reasonable fee.

Watching Torquay v Crawley in Cup, 16 minute delay due to a horrific injury to Crawley’s on loan keeper from Brighton. Torquay 2 up and playing well but that looked really bad, hope not as severe as looked

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Glad to see he's progressing, would be nice if one of our "failed" signings actually turned it round. Could be a Redmond replacement if we cash in on him next summer. 

We need players capable of performing in the Premier League, something he struggled to do. Scoring a hat trick vs Motherwell really doesn't help his case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We need players capable of performing in the Premier League, something he struggled to do. Scoring a hat trick vs Motherwell really doesn't help his case.

He barely got much of a chance in the Prem, and that was at the back end of the dark days in between Koeman and Ralph. 

Scoring a hat trick against Motherwell will help his case more than not scoring against Motherwell. 

And Ralph has said there is the opportunity for him to challenge in the side next summer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best case scenario is that he scores 20+ goals and we can sell him for close to what we paid.

He isnt going to be a success in the PL, hence Ralph has loaned him out twice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He barely got much of a chance in the Prem, and that was at the back end of the dark days in between Koeman and Ralph. 

Scoring a hat trick against Motherwell will help his case more than not scoring against Motherwell. 

And Ralph has said there is the opportunity for him to challenge in the side next summer

Of course he has, that’s a default media answer for any player out on loan. Ralph is hardly going to say he’s crap and he’s finished here, that just puts us in no place to bargain with other clubs. True a hat trick against Motherwell won’t exactly harm his reputation but it’s of little help either. It no different to Sims suddenly looking decent in League 1 or Boufal in Ligue 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I guess we'll see. 

We all wrote Forster off as well, but he's back as number 2. Which world class club was he turning in performances for? Oh...the same one.

Forster's back as number 2 because nobody would pay to take him off our hands, not because he's suddenly brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I guess we'll see. 

We all wrote Forster off as well, but he's back as number 2. Which world class club was he turning in performances for? Oh...the 

 

15 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I guess we'll see. 

We all wrote Forster off as well, but he's back as number 2. Which world class club was he turning in performances for? Oh...the same one.

Ely was brought because he showed he had promise, he came during a terrible period of football, and didn't light up our disjointed team. So our incredible astute fans shat on him every chance they could, along with jwp, romeo, ings, readers, and later on Che , dejenepo, etc.....I have watched time and time again, big nob saints fans thinking they know better and that so many of our player were crap! And laughably they are usually wrong!! Again a player if our is doing much better, enjoying football and yet he isn't good enough for us? You are not good enough to judge! Or do you like looking like the ass after the players prove you wrong. Please give ely some slack, let's hope he can do it in the PL instead of condemning him. How is constantly putting down your own players conducive to a positive confident player. Can you see how quick  judgment can make matters worse, our HOME form showed that us moaning and bitching just upset our players, we are gone from  the stands, and now they can shine without our petulant insults and condemnation. Silence is golden.......and give the players a lot less stress!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

 

Ely was brought because he showed he had promise, he came during a terrible period of football, and didn't light up our disjointed team. So our incredible astute fans shat on him every chance they could, along with jwp, romeo, ings, readers, and later on Che , dejenepo, etc.....I have watched time and time again, big nob saints fans thinking they know better and that so many of our player were crap! And laughably they are usually wrong!! Again a player if our is doing much better, enjoying football and yet he isn't good enough for us? You are not good enough to judge! Or do you like looking like the ass after the players prove you wrong. Please give ely some slack, let's hope he can do it in the PL instead of condemning him. How is constantly putting down your own players conducive to a positive confident player. Can you see how quick  judgment can make matters worse, our HOME form showed that us moaning and bitching just upset our players, we are gone from  the stands, and now they can shine without our petulant insults and condemnation. Silence is golden.......and give the players a lot less stress!

Hear! Hear! Well said Sir.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird how when players perform for Celtic people always say "well its a crap league, these performances are meaningless" but the last few players we signed from Scotland have all gone on to be superb additions to our team (Armstong, VvD, Wanyama, Forster, Davis). Seems like the Scottish league is underrated as a proving ground for quality.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Regardless of league quality... He’s doing very well which isn’t a bad thing for us or Celtic. 

image.jpeg.d5a9e5c4d387495139cd718ad248aec8.jpeg

If we signed a player from Celtic who had got 14 goal involvements in 18 games people would be buzzing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he had even shown a few glimpses in his games for us that he could come good given time, then I could maybe see a way back for him. But I can't remember a single positive contribution from him in a Saints shirt, at best he was anonymous and at worst he looked like a random guy had been plucked off the street to play. He just isn't good enough for the fast pace of the Premier League. Got nothing against him and hopefully he continues his good form for Celtic so we can recoup some of what we paid for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He has good movement off the ball, strikes a football well, can cross effectively and is quite skillful.

 

Unfortunately, he's also very slow and seems to lose confidence easily.

 

I remember him getting into great positions to score a couple of times when he arrived, but missing his finishes and then not making the runs to get into the box afterwards.

 

I also remember a great bit of skill where he flicked the ball over a defender and sent him to the shops, but was then caught by the same defender about twelve steps later and lost the ball. He's nowhere near as quick as Tadic who was never exactly Usain Bolt himself.

 

I think he's a good, technical footballer but I'm not sure he has the physical attributes to dominate a game in the Prem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't think he was ever suited to the PL if i'm honest. He's getting the time and space in Scotland which is what he needs, you don't get that in the PL.

I never thought his touch was tight enough and he was too slow off the mark, both with the ball and without it. He's a typical 'star player in a lesser league' but not quite good enough to make the step up.

Luckily for us he's doing well at Celtic which should mean we can get some money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we signed a player from Celtic who had got 14 goal involvements in 18 games people would be buzzing.

Georgios Samaras? Scott Sinclair? Gary Hooper? Leigh Griffiths?

Celtic have had plenty of goalscorers over the years who were absolute shite.

Dembele turned out decent, mind you.

Edited by qwertyell
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I just don't think he was ever suited to the PL if i'm honest. He's getting the time and space in Scotland which is what he needs, you don't get that in the PL.

I never thought his touch was tight enough and he was too slow off the mark, both with the ball and without it. He's a typical 'star player in a lesser league' but not quite good enough to make the step up.

Luckily for us he's doing well at Celtic which should mean we can get some money back.

Agreed - his technique is okay, but not nearly good enough to make up for his lack of acceleration, top speed and strength. Tadic was also pretty slow, but his control and awareness are miles better, which is why he's starring against the likes of Madrid in the Champion's League, and Elyounoussi is starring against Motherwell in Scotland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we signed a player from Celtic who had got 14 goal involvements in 18 games people would be buzzing.

Yes and then when we watched him actually try and replicate that for us in the Premier League, we’d be thoroughly disappointed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Agreed - his technique is okay, but not nearly good enough to make up for his lack of acceleration, top speed and strength. Tadic was also pretty slow, but his control and awareness are miles better, which is why he's starring against the likes of Madrid in the Champion's League, and Elyounoussi is starring against Motherwell in Scotland.

Tadič had a skill and change of direction which could leave the best defenders flat on their arse. We all remember that Chelsea game when he had Ivanovic dancing a merry jig and there was a game against Norwich when he had Whittaker hopelessly chasing shadows; ended up getting sent off for two yellows inside about 25 minutes.

 

Moi has none of that, he just sort of wishes the defender wasn’t there so he could put a cross in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a mystery to me. When he was with us he was complete and utter rubbish. He contributed absolutely nothing. Not a thing. He showed no skill or speed or vision - nothing. Seems to blow hot and cold for Celtic too, but he has had good games and has been impressive overall. I guess the standard is just much, much lower up there, as MLG says.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Agreed - his technique is okay, but not nearly good enough to make up for his lack of acceleration, top speed and strength. Tadic was also pretty slow, but his control and awareness are miles better, which is why he's starring against the likes of Madrid in the Champion's League, and Elyounoussi is starring against Motherwell in Scotland.

Not just Motherwell though. He scored 2 against Lille (second in Ligue 1) and another against AC Milan. Those teams are not too shabby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yozzman said:

Not just Motherwell though. He scored 2 against Lille (second in Ligue 1) and another against AC Milan. Those teams are not too shabby. 

He also aced it with Basel.

Think he is suited to a more low paced game.

Won’t succeed here. Sell while his value is high.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})