Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

it's pretty worrying that one of the players greatest strengths is how good he is when he doesn't have the ball. I might list my greatest strengths on my CV as being brilliant at my job apart from when i'm dealing with customers or suppliers.

A better analogy would be whether you're skilled at serving existing customers or reaching out and securing new ones, which in some industries at least are quite different roles

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Works quite hard but that’s about it. No pace, no trickery, no goal threat, no power, no aerial ability….he’s nowhere near good enough IMO

Sounds like Ward prowse when we get no free kicks 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sounds like Ward prowse when we get no free kicks 

Ward-Prowse has been sh*t recently. Slow, ponderous, sideways, backwards and completely incapable of landing a corner or free kick on the head of his own team mates. Every single time, the opposition gets an easy head away.

I think there was ONE free kick that was quick, low and dangerous, but the rest are crap. Dead ball specialist ... 

He needs to step back up. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Works quite hard but that’s about it. No pace, no trickery, no goal threat, no power, no aerial ability….he’s nowhere near good enough IMO

Agree but who would you replace him with that is fit? Redders, Theo, Jenny are arguably all worse. I just don't get why we wouldn't at least try Tella or Tino there for at least one half?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ward-Prowse has been sh*t recently. Slow, ponderous, sideways, backwards and completely incapable of landing a corner or free kick on the head of his own team mates. Every single time, the opposition gets an easy head away.

I think there was ONE free kick that was quick, low and dangerous, but the rest are crap. Dead ball specialist ... 

He needs to step back up. 

I did say this summer that we had to sell as his value would never be as high as it was this summer.

He really contributes to our slow build up play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Red said:

Agree but who would you replace him with that is fit? Redders, Theo, Jenny are arguably all worse. I just don't get why we wouldn't at least try Tella or Tino there for at least one half?

I think when we get a fully fit squad, Stuart Armstrong on the right, and Tella or Djenepo on the left would be my preference...thought Moussa did more in 10 mins yesterday than Redmond and Elyounoussi did all game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think when we get a fully fit squad, Stuart Armstrong on the right, and Tella or Djenepo on the left would be my preference...thought Moussa did more in 10 mins yesterday than Redmond and Elyounoussi did all game.

The thing with Djneppo is that he does run around, looks lively but that ‘through ball’ hit way beyond the overlapping runner late on that went out for a goal kick summed him up.
 

His production rate is terrible. 49 matches, 3 goals and 2 assists. We desperately need attacking midfielders who produce goals and assists. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

The thing with Djneppo is that he does run around, looks lively but that ‘through ball’ hit way beyond the overlapping runner late on that went out for a goal kick summed him up.
 

His production rate is terrible. 49 matches, 3 goals and 2 assists. We desperately need attacking midfielders who produce goals and assists. 

But isn't this the point....despite those stats, he's still one of the best we have...Redmond, Walcott, Elyounoussi, Djenepo...I'm not sure any of them are good enough to be starters in the premier league.

Link to post
Share on other sites

None of Redmond, Walcott, Elyounoussi, Djenepo and Long are good enough

the answer is to play Armstrong and Tino as the number 10s / attacking midfielders 

and give Tella some game time. At least he will get better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's improved, but he's still not good enough. Not strong enough, not quick enough.

He'll never make any noticeable impact at this level. We'll sell him for buttons in the summer or for free the next year.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ward-Prowse has been sh*t recently. Slow, ponderous, sideways, backwards and completely incapable of landing a corner or free kick on the head of his own team mates. Every single time, the opposition gets an easy head away.

I think there was ONE free kick that was quick, low and dangerous, but the rest are crap. Dead ball specialist ... 

He needs to step back up. 

No corner kicker, no free kick specialist will land the ball on the head of any of our forwards because the front line is ridiculously small except for Broja who didn't even get a kick never mind a header. have they won a header all season?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Red said:

Agree but who would you replace him with that is fit? Redders, Theo, Jenny are arguably all worse. I just don't get why we wouldn't at least try Tella or Tino there for at least one half?

It’s certainly what anyone with a semblance of football knowledge - fan or manager - would be doing. Insult to Tella to put on Long, who would struggle in get in most Championship squads let alone first XI, ahead of him yesterday. KWP and TL would be an awesome right hand side, give Perraud and Moussa a run on the left. Moussa has many limitations but he does work hard for his full back. 

Anyone who thinks Shane Long is a better bet to turn a game around than Nathan Tella, or thinks Redmond/Theo should start in the PL ahead of KWP/Livra shouldn’t be allowed near a professional football club. Even the skates.

Edited by saint1977
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saint1977 said:

 

Anyone who thinks Shane Long is a better bet to turn a game around than Nathan Tella, 

Can't help but feel that the club are keeping Tella out of the shop window. He only has one year left on his contract at the end of the season. Why show him off to the big clubs for them to pick him up for almost nothing.

Better to hold him back and get his contract extended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darren2 said:

Can't help but feel that the club are keeping Tella out of the shop window. He only has one year left on his contract at the end of the season. Why show him off to the big clubs for them to pick him up for almost nothing.

Better to hold him back and get his contract extended. 

Brilliant, how did that strategy work with Jankewitz? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, darren2 said:

Can't help but feel that the club are keeping Tella out of the shop window. He only has one year left on his contract at the end of the season. Why show him off to the big clubs for them to pick him up for almost nothing.

Better to hold him back and get his contract extended. 

Great idea, hold Tella back and get relegated, financially that would have to be one of the stupidest ideas ever. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/09/2021 at 00:48, Patrick Bateman said:

Ward-Prowse has been sh*t recently. Slow, ponderous, sideways, backwards and completely incapable of landing a corner or free kick on the head of his own team mates. Every single time, the opposition gets an easy head away.

I think there was ONE free kick that was quick, low and dangerous, but the rest are crap. Dead ball specialist ... 

He needs to step back up. 

To be fair he’s probably absolutely knackered, run into the ground by Ralph, But little choice does Ralph not to pick him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2021 at 20:46, Saint Garrett said:

Works quite hard but that’s about it. No pace, no trickery, no goal threat, no power, no aerial ability….he’s nowhere near good enough IMO

just like Redmond and Dejenepo he is a crap decision maker too always wants an extra touch or makes the wrong pass 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

...........and now for the latest gossip.

Are Arsenal REALLY interested in buying Mo. E (?)...or is this just paper talk, or a space filler for some journos column.

To be fair, when Mo arrived he was played out of position (whatever that was) ....in a team that was shipping goals and 

had little to offer in terms of positive results.  Ralph seemingly took advice and let him have a crack at SPL with Celtic.

 

Certainly Mo looks a totally different player now to the one who went away two years ago, and found his goal touch

in Scotland and with Norway.  He is also a player who has some " real time " left on his Saints contract (till June 2023).

Personally I'd like to see him in a successful role with Saints, but  IF he were to move to pastures " greener"  then we  

should take advantage of a good fee from clubs who normally pay from their petty cash account ....to the likes of Saints. 

At the end of the day, it's down to the player but Saints could do well in the transfer market with a hefty sum for his move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

...........and now for the latest gossip.

Are Arsenal REALLY interested in buying Mo. E (?)...or is this just paper talk, or a space filler for some journos column.

To be fair, when Mo arrived he was played out of position (whatever that was) ....in a team that was shipping goals and 

had little to offer in terms of positive results.  Ralph seemingly took advice and let him have a crack at SPL with Celtic.

 

Certainly Mo looks a totally different player now to the one who went away two years ago, and found his goal touch

in Scotland and with Norway.  He is also a player who has some " real time " left on his Saints contract (till June 2023).

Personally I'd like to see him in a successful role with Saints, but  IF he were to move to pastures " greener"  then we  

should take advantage of a good fee from clubs who normally pay from their petty cash account ....to the likes of Saints. 

At the end of the day, it's down to the player but Saints could do well in the transfer market with a hefty sum for his move. 

If true we should bite their arm off. A couple of decent games in the 3 years since he signed it’s laughable anyone better than us would want him 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

This mythical "treatment" of Sadio Mane was seven years ago. You probably should be able to get over it by now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

Spot on!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Thought he had a good game v Leeds.

Can only base my opinion on what I actually see.  Unlike some of the bandwagon jumpers on here.

I think he's looked much better and can see some confidence has returned scoring goals for club and Country, should have had one against Leeds if he'd got on the end of Brojas flick on. 

I know it's an inferior league but he had a couple of very good seasons at Celtic on loan , not a bad option for us to have in the squad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JRM said:

I think he's looked much better and can see some confidence has returned scoring goals for club and Country, should have had one against Leeds if he'd got on the end of Brojas flick on. 

I know it's an inferior league but he had a couple of very good seasons at Celtic on loan , not a bad option for us to have in the squad. 

Being looked at by Arsenal and Leicester apparently

 

Arsenal 'monitoring Mohamed Elyounoussi transfer alongside Leicester' after Southampton wingers stunning start to season (thesun.co.uk)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John B said:

He certainly looks much better than he did before he went to Celtic on loan, but it's a bit of a stretch to describe his start to the season as "stunning".

Aside from a Hattrick against a very poor Newport, how many goals and assists has he got so far?

He works very hard in the press, I'll give him that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He certainly looks much better than he did before he went to Celtic on loan, but it's a bit of a stretch to describe his start to the season as "stunning".

Aside from a Hattrick against a very poor Newport, how many goals and assists has he got so far?

He works very hard in the press, I'll give him that. 

Scored at Newcastle too, don't know about assists.

He's certainly improved and been decent so far, looks a lot more confident. But to say he's been stunning just wrong.

I don't believe for a second that Arsenal are interested in him, then again they did sign Cedric!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dellman said:

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

I agree and well said.  I think all our players are brilliant.  Every single one of them.  I also think the manager is awesome.  In fact I'm staggered by why we're not top of the league given our brilliant players and awesome manager.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dellman said:

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

Redmond has received criticism on here because he's been utterly appalling for what, 2 years on the trot now. It's not like people have a personal vendetta against him.

He played well against Leeds, and I'm sure those who have criticised him wish for that to continue, because we're Saints fans. Being a Saints fan doesn't mean you blindly praise everybody involved with the club.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dellman said:

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

I personally don't have an issue if fans criticise players for whatever reason.

However, I think that then rules them out of the right to lay into them if they come good and then leave us for a bigger club.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dellman said:

I joined this Forum because I thought I was joining Saints fans. its really sad there is so much hostility, bitterness, criticism of our own players. The worst was the treatment of Sadio Mane---now he's scored a hundred goals for somebody else. Now its Mo E and Redders and of course JWP. He may be the captain and been here since a boy and given his all year after year but still can't win the 'fans'. I wonder any of them stay. I actually like my team

Correct, it is a forum for saints fans. That means that the those will express views and opinions about the club, the management, the players, the performances etc. 

I'm not sure what the issue is with honest opinion. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can get can recoup most of what we outlayed for him then we should definitely take it. The Leeds match was about the only time I thought that he could actually cut it the PL and his goals/assists stats back this up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Redmond has received criticism on here because he's been utterly appalling for what, 2 years on the trot now. It's not like people have a personal vendetta against him.

He played well against Leeds, and I'm sure those who have criticised him wish for that to continue, because we're Saints fans. Being a Saints fan doesn't mean you blindly praise everybody involved with the club.

Redmond isn’t appalling he is exactly the player we purchased, decent midfielder who runs very hot and cold and isn’t clinical in front of goal. If he was consistent and a better finisher he wouldn’t be in our squad anymore!  He is like many of our players a decent pro our problem at the minute is we lack the one or two outstanding players we have had every year since promotion loosing ings has finally left the cupboard bare we need to find W couple of affordable gems to add to a decent squad that will put us back in mid table.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Redmond isn’t appalling he is exactly the player we purchased, decent midfielder who runs very hot and cold and isn’t clinical in front of goal. If he was consistent and a better finisher he wouldn’t be in our squad anymore!  He is like many of our players a decent pro our problem at the minute is we lack the one or two outstanding players we have had every year since promotion loosing ings has finally left the cupboard bare we need to find W couple of affordable gems to add to a decent squad that will put us back in mid table.

We have several "affordable gems' unfortunately two are at right back Tino and KWP, will be interesting to see how this gets resolved. Then both Salisu and Diallo are heading in that direction. Problem is they are all on the defensive side. In attack Lets hope for a breakout season for Tella and Broja, though I doubt the later will be in the affordable gem category (for Saints at least).

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CB Fry said:

This mythical "treatment" of Sadio Mane was seven years ago. You probably should be able to get over it by now.

Yep and when last asked for proof on this forum one comment was found after his second game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep and when last asked for proof on this forum one comment was found after his second game. 

He was definitely getting pelters on here but it's hard to dig out the exact threads

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He was definitely getting pelters on here but it's hard to dig out the exact threads

It was after Sheffield United away. He was awful but so was everyone else and there were some classic comments on here. “Worst player since Ali dia” “fuck off back where he came from” “what waste of Mane” there were loads of our great fans giving him heaps. Our fans tend to be like that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/10/2021 at 16:30, niceandfriendly said:

Redmond has received criticism on here because he's been utterly appalling for what, 2 years on the trot now. It's not like people have a personal vendetta against him.

He played well against Leeds, and I'm sure those who have criticised him wish for that to continue, because we're Saints fans. Being a Saints fan doesn't mean you blindly praise everybody involved with the club.

Absolutely I can't stand Redmond I think he's blocking the path for others. But I'd be as happy as a pig in shit if he proved me wrong. Though sadly history says he most likely won't.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})