Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

5 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Not sure why we don’t give him another go, god, he’s better than the wardrobe and arguable could give macca a run for his money. Maybe the loan spell has helped, which I guess is the ppoint. 

Plus he’s got the truly amazing Baby Shark song we can all look forward to belting out when we can go again 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Plus he’s got the truly amazing Baby Shark song we can all look forward to belting out when we can go again 

Which was made even weirder by the fact that it so obviously fitted better with Vestergaard. If you’re going to sing a weird, shit song, at least use it the best way you can.

I don't really understand what's in it for Stoke to retain him for another season. They have a number one keeper, and a current England u21 keeper coming through.

Why on earth are they shelling out what I imagine is a decent Championship wage on another back up keeper?

We should be sending Norwich a favourably edited video compilation of Gunny's best moments when he was on loan there a few years back. They still love him up there, and they're a PL club again with extra TV money to spend. Tim Krul must be getting on a bit now.

23 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Would be nice. Can’t get 2 excited though as it’s not a Norwich need a keeper but a if they need a keeper (based on random speculation that their reserve keeper won’t stay) they could consider Gunn or someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd like us to get rid of Macca and Forster, keep Gunn as backup, and bring in a new number 1. 
Obviously easier said than done.

My ideal too. Fraser we can possibly shift off to Celtic again, maybe as a makeweight for one of their players, but I can't see anybody wanting McCarthy for very much money. Possibly one of the promoted sides? Norwich have Krul (33), Watford Foster (38) and Swansea's main keeper has been on loan from Newcastle.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

🚨

1 down, 2 to go...

Seriously though, bit of a shame really - had the potential to be a better bet than both Fraser and McCarthy (maybe he still will), but never seemed to recover from the 9-0.

8 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Great bit of business - extra £5m in the kitty. Now Hoedt and Lemina

It's terrible business. SIgned for £10m when we already had two very dodgy keepers, half a crap season then loaned out. Probably earning a fair whack too. Good to get him off the books, although i cant help but think he is the only keeper anyone would buy off us

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's terrible business. SIgned for £10m when we already had two very dodgy keepers, half a crap season then loaned out. Probably earning a fair whack too. Good to get him off the books, although i cant help but think he is the only keeper anyone would buy off us

The purchase was terrible business, the sale is great business. Sunk cost fallacy etc etc...

Also Forster and McCarthy are in the last year of their contracts, McCarthy in particular should attract some interest as his wages are lower. Even if we have to give one of them away for free we should be able to so.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Cheer up, at least this means no more baby shark song.

I hope Wrexham’s movie star owners have a good pipeline of blockbusters ready to go as Les Reed will be preparing to squander more money at that level. 

His best game for us was his debut against Chelsea, and I thought we had a good talent between the sticks for once. However, like the other two, he regressed and yeah, never recovered from the 9-0. I always thought that it was fortunate he was the league goalkeeper and not the cup goalkeeper when we played Portsmouth, as I think he would have conceded one of the early chances they had.

He also looked dodgy at Stoke last season - 6:01 and 7:41 for two highlights in the match below. Hasn't worked for him here and will be interesting to see how he gets on competing with Krul, who is a favourite as well at Norwich.

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

The purchase was terrible business, the sale is great business. Sunk cost fallacy etc etc...

Also Forster and McCarthy are in the last year of their contracts, McCarthy in particular should attract some interest as his wages are lower. Even if we have to give one of them away for free we should be able to so.

Didn’t McCarthy sign a new deal on much bigger money when he became number 1? He’s on less than Forster but still too much

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Bad business overall based on the £13m we paid for him but good in the context of (1) he aint very good (2) reduced player prices because of Covid (3) he would otherwise sit on the bench and get paid £xxxx per week. 

24 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

My info is that they are on similar money (too much!)

My info (MLG via Football Manager) says Forster is on 70k and McCarthy 50k. Quite a big difference.

21 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Keeper situation will have to get sorted NEXT THIS summer.

15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Seriously poor decision. We have Macca and Forster who are a similar standard and certainly not much better than Gunn - both of which are getting on and will need replacing. 

Nah. Sell them all and get 2 in. 

Big decision to cut him loose. I didn't think he was any good, but that doesn't mean he wont be.  Good that we've generated some funds and haven't been forced to loan him out to reduce the wage bill.

who's our third keeper?

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Big decision to cut him loose. I didn't think he was any good, but that doesn't mean he wont be.  Good that we've generated some funds and haven't been forced to loan him out to reduce the wage bill.

who's our third keeper?

Harry Lewis.  

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

who's our third keeper?

Very difficult for young keepers to make a real impression. Nearly every Prem. side has an experienced and /or International keeper and many play well into their 30's.

54 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Seriously poor decision. We have Macca and Forster who are a similar standard and certainly not much better than Gunn - both of which are getting on and will need replacing. 

I’d quite happily see the back of all three of them and try and get one decent and one backup to replace the lot. Holding on to Gunn doesn’t solve any of our issues, as far as I’m concerned this is one substandard player off the books and nothing more. AM and FF aren’t really ‘getting on’ in goalkeeper years either. Both easily have another 5 years in them, even if it is at a poor standard. I can’t envisage any particular drop in performance over the next couple of years.

42 minutes ago, Chez said:

who's our third keeper?

Wesley Hoedt. He can't be any worse in goal than he is as an outfield player. 

Strange one for me. We have McCarthy and Forster running down contracts so we either get another in now and still have 3 plus Lewis, or we let their contracts run down then look for 2 next year. There's always the possibility we'd extend one of them and get another, but that'd be nuts. There may be another scenario, but it feels a bit odd. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

both on £70k a week or is it even more? 

I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not...

But I have heard there exact number of £110k per week mentioned by more than 1 person.

The fact several people have mentioned it at completely independent times and that exact number, I would be inclined to think there might be something in it.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not...

But I have heard there exact number of £110k per week mentioned by more than 1 person.

The fact several people have mentioned it at completely independent times and that exact number, I would be inclined to think there might be something in it.

There’s not a chance in hell we’re paying McCarthy £110k a week.

At least we got a fee.

I don't understand how it's so hard to get a decent keeper in, everybody else in the league seems to have at least one better than ours and they're swapped around for pennies. Can't we have one of Newcastle's or Romero now that he's third choice at Utd?

1 minute ago, igsey said:

At least we got a fee.

I don't understand how it's so hard to get a decent keeper in, everybody else in the league seems to have at least one better than ours and they're swapped around for pennies. Can't we have one of Newcastle's or Romero now that he's third choice at Utd?

Sounds so simple, but it's spot on.  

If we can get somebody to take on 100% of a players wages that we don't want AND we get a fee, then we've done a great job when you consider previous windows.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich