The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

38 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

At least I have never been banned from an Internet forum or come on pretending to be someone I am not. Little wonder you side with Johnson. You share many of his traits.

As for “very angry,” no, just deeply frustrated that there are still people in this country who think that it is perfectly ok that Johnson remains as PM and that we are being governed by a bunch of total incompetents. 

I am not sure about using “very old” as a pejorative term. If you are fortunate enough one day you will be “very old.” Probably best to hope that there is no WW3 and you are called up to feed a submarine crew though. At least I will just be sat in an underground bunker regaling all those bored enough to listen with tales about strange characters on an Internet forum.

Rather than talk about character on an Internet forum won’t you be impressing them with your career prosecuting knife crime and rape, telling them how you did your bit for BLM by tipping your mixed race bar maid or explaining to them that the Useless PM is personally responsible for your significant personal debts?

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Tony Blair grrrr. Saints are always shit. Russia big and strong. Trump is my hero. Public servants are lazy. Whinge whinge whinge. Liverpool are great.  Oh and I am a selfish cowardly cunt. Who am I?

Angry?

Boris is psychic.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/grant-shapps-claims-not-partying-27047663

"Tory Grant Shapps has bizarrely claimed Boris Johnson was “clearly not partying” when he raised fizz surrounded by booze at a No10 party.

The Cabinet ally said the Prime Minister "lost his mum during the period", despite the fact Charlotte Johnson Wahl died “suddenly” 10 months after the party happened."

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The DT says that if the current polls  were replicated at  a General Election, Johnson would lose his seat at Uxbridge as well as all but three in the Red Wall. Now that really is a strong statement and time for more Tory Backbenchers to put pen to paper.

1 hour ago, rooney said:

The DT says that if the current polls  were replicated at  a General Election, Johnson would lose his seat at Uxbridge as well as all but three in the Red Wall. Now that really is a strong statement and time for more Tory Backbenchers to put pen to paper.

It's OK, he's come up with a brilliant plan to win back those votes and make Brexit Britain truly great again...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/28/boris-johnson-set-to-bring-back-imperial-measurements-to-mark-platinum-jubilee

16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's OK, he's come up with a brilliant plan to win back those votes and make Brexit Britain truly great again...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/28/boris-johnson-set-to-bring-back-imperial-measurements-to-mark-platinum-jubilee

Anybody under 40 is likely to have no idea what pounds and ounces are. Let alone adding cost for industry with retooling packing machines.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Anybody under 40 is likely to have no idea what pounds and ounces are. Let alone adding cost for industry with retooling packing machines.

I'm 47 and the only vague memory I have of buying imperial weights is when I used get a quarter pound of sweets from the local newsagents as a young kid.

Still, I'm sure some of the fervent Brexit supporters on here will be along shortly to tell us what a great victory this will be to go with our blue passports.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm 47 and the only vague memory I have of buying imperial weights is when I used get a quarter pound of sweets from the local newsagents as a young kid.

Still, I'm sure some of the fervent Brexit supporters on here will be along shortly to tell us what a great victory this will be to go with our blue passports.

One thing they are pushing is that it will help trade with the US. Unfortunately, whilst the US pound and ounce are the same as the old Imperial measures, the US hundredweight and ton are smaller than the British versions, and US pints and gallons are similarly smaller.

The Mail on Sunday making a big deal about the Crown having to be removed from pint glasses after an edict from the EU 18 years ago and now being brought back as part of a benefit of Brexit. Only there was no edict to remove the crown from pint glasses. But never mind, it makes for a brilliant jingoistic front page when you are trying to save Johnson’s job for him.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The Mail on Sunday making a big deal about the Crown having to be removed from pint glasses after an edict from the EU 18 years ago and now being brought back as part of a benefit of Brexit. Only there was no edict to remove the crown from pint glasses. But never mind, it makes for a brilliant jingoistic front page when you are trying to save Johnson’s job for him.

Surely you don't think facts are important in discussions over the Big Bad EU ? That's just Project Fear.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

One thing they are pushing is that it will help trade with the US. Unfortunately, whilst the US pound and ounce are the same as the old Imperial measures, the US hundredweight and ton are smaller than the British versions, and US pints and gallons are similarly smaller.

It won’t help at all with selling to the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I'd say probably closer to 60.  I'm way over 40 and only learnt imperial weights in my 20's from a fishmonger from Fleetwood.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'd say probably closer to 60.  I'm way over 40 and only learnt imperial weights in my 20's from a fishmonger from Fleetwood.

When I started my engineering degree at Cambridge in 1968 we were the first year that used the metric SI system instead of imperial measurements. That was over half a century ago.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

i exprct that,is when you also learned how to count.  😁

7 hours ago, rooney said:

I've got a hit list of who I want to lose seats, my top five

Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Gullis, Baker, Mad Nads 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

When I started my engineering degree at Cambridge in 1968 we were the first year that used the metric SI system instead of imperial measurements. That was over half a century ago.

I remember back in the 70's trying to explain to my boss that kilograms were measures of mass and not weight, something that the imperial system doesn't seem to recognize.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

I remember back in the 70's trying to explain to my boss that kilograms were measures of mass and not weight, something that the imperial system doesn't seem to recognize.

That takes me back. Lbf, foot-poundals, British Thermal Units. What’s not to like?

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Brexit is a scheme to take us back to the 50's, ( alternatively - to "level up" the entire country with the Isle of Wight ), this is merely a step in that journey.

If you mean the 1850's Rees-Mogg is already there.

• Like 1

I know the imperial measurements thing is supposed to stoke the culture war, but it feels like an own goal for the government as 1. Noone under 60 understands it so will see it as a pain and 2. I can imagine some brexiteers thinking "ermmm, is that the biggest benefit?".

Distraction from Partygate I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That takes me back. Lbf, foot-poundals, British Thermal Units. What’s not to like?

Exactly, UNF. UNC, Whitworth bolt thread pitches, bring them all back I say, together with everyone wearing a hat that signified their class in society. Not sure how we're going to deal with those pesky women who seem more interested in "working" than keeping their front step clean though...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.