SuperSAINT

January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

Leeds apparently.

They may want him, but it is hard to see him leaving. Saints need 4 strikers, loaning him out would see us need another one and bloating the squad if Adams is still on the books as well.

https://pucelafichajes.com/2019/12/el-southampton-planea-una-oferta-de-10-millones-de-euros-por-salisu/

Saints allegedly preparing an offer of €10m for Mohammed Salisu, Valladolid CB.

He has a release clause of €12m and they have been trying to get him to sign a contract but he has yet to do so.

Has been a regular starter for them in La Liga this season.

Source is a local newspaper so perhaps something in it.

Played a total of 18 first team games according to Wikipedia.

We need proven experience, not another gamble.

Played a total of 18 first team games according to Wikipedia.

We need proven experience, not another gamble.

We could give him 3 years to settle, but like Adams I ‘spose

Leeds apparently.

Or Forest. Would be madness to let him go just when he's starting to play well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the potential to succeed. Some players often need a season to get used to the demands.

Adams will be fine. He's looked alright just needs a goal and more game time. Christ we accept Long for what he is and don't expect many goals. Long was a lot more expensive when you adjust or how crazy transfer fees have gone since them.

Adams' isn't just struggling to adapt, he's generally having a poor run including the second half of last season. That won't go on forever and we'd be daft to ditch him and spend big on someone else. If he's loaned a while to find form fine but don't sell him.

Ings, Long, Obafemi and Adam are good options. It's the team around them that needs work.

They may want him, but it is hard to see him leaving. Saints need 4 strikers, loaning him out would see us need another one and bloating the squad if Adams is still on the books as well.

Well not really. Longs contract is up in the summer.

Loan out Adams until the end of the season to help him get a bit of confidence and regular game time, bring in someone new as more competitive cover for Ings.

Bring Adams back and Let Long leave in the summer.

It would actually be a sensible move by the club as currently, none of the 3 behind Ings look half capable of consistently getting the goals we need to stay up and ings is over due an injury.

Adams will be fine. He's looked alright just needs a goal and more game time. Christ we accept Long for what he is and don't expect many goals. Long was a lot more expensive when you adjust or how crazy transfer fees have gone since them.

Adams' isn't just struggling to adapt, he's generally having a poor run including the second half of last season. That won't go on forever and we'd be daft to ditch him and spend big on someone else. If he's loaned a while to find form fine but don't sell him.

Ings, Long, Obafemi and Adam are good options. It's the team around them that needs work.

Couldnt agree more

Skate game aside, Adams hasn’t played too bad. His lack of goals is a concern though and I’m not sure he is best suited to playing to with Ings (both look to drop into the 10, rather than play off the shoulder).

There is a player there though and if ings got injured he’d be my choice to replace him.

Personally though, if we had a credible chance of bringing in another CF in jan (not at the expense of a CB, RB or CM) then I’d send him out on loan as I don’t think we are in a position to rely on him (or any of the others) should the worse happen to ings.

Loan out Adams until the end of the season to help him get a bit of confidence and regular game time

Bring Adams back.

Does this ever work? I would reckon loaning him out would destroy his confidence.

What players in the past (last 10 years) have come back to the squad from a loan spell with guns a blazing?

Loan out Adams until the end of the season to help him get a bit of confidence and regular game time, bring in someone new as more competitive cover for Ings.

It would actually be a sensible move by the club as currently, none of the 3 behind Ings look half capable of consistently getting the goals we need to stay up and ings is over due an injury.

Given the club have limited funds, spending them on a player that doesn’t strengthen your first choice XI would be insanity? We can’t bring in someone better than Adams for the money we would get for

him.

Adams will come good.

Centre-back that can cover left back - Rojo, no chance we would pay his wages though.

Right-back - that mush from Genk.

Centre-midfielder - Wanyama if fit would be decent.

Adams will come good.

Centre-back that can cover left back - Rojo, no chance we would pay his wages though.

Right-back - that mush from Gen

Centre-midfielder - Wanyama if fit would be decent.

Do you think Wanyama still has it? I haven’t seen much of him at Spurs, but what I have seen he looked poor.

The Athletic is predicting it's full backs (both sides) and a centre back, but could only be 1-2 because of the difficulty of signing players in January, also they are saying apparently the 'soft' cap of £15 million ish players is going, and that if the right player comes along the club could spend more (like £25 million) but at the same time predict the budget is only about £30 million at best, probably depending on outgoings.

Thinks the best option for us is maybe loans with a view to buy of players looking to get game time before Euro 2020, reckons that might be the best way to sell the club at the moment as players might not be convinced to join in January and in a relegation battle, but 6 months of game time in the premier league to get into their Euro 2020 squad might tempt them, then if sign them in the summer or they can return to their club if we get relegated.

Do you think Wanyama still has it? I haven’t seen much of him at Spurs, but what I have seen he looked poor.
Really think Wanyama ticks no boxes at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Adams won't get any confidence from scoring some goals in a five month stretch in the Championship. He already knows he can do that.

Him being farmed out six months into a four year contract will destroy his confidence and he'd know he isn't wanted at SFC and he'd prepare to move on.

Basically it's not going to happen, unless we really are writing him off as a bad job.

Does this ever work? I would reckon loaning him out would destroy his confidence.

What players in the past (last 10 years) have come back to the squad from a loan spell with guns a blazing?

The club are clear he's going nowhere. Correct decision.

Really think Wanyama ticks no boxes at all.

Any chance we could get Morgan back? Much better option, needs a new start.

Wish ppl would stop suggesting former players who cant even get a game at their current clubs. They're on huge wages for a start and theres plenty of other players available

Wish ppl would stop suggesting former players who cant even get a game at their current clubs. They're on huge wages for a start and theres plenty of other players available

Yup. Our fans sometimes :lol:

Are there? Like who? Just because someone is on huge wages doesn't mean necessarily that they have to be paid those wages to go somewhere else. You know some people are prepared to take a cut to get theur career back on course. Only mentioned Morgan because he is a far better option than Vic. Top player who lost his way after big move to Man United. It was only a suggestion anyway, no idea whether its got any legs. Now get off your high horse and calm down. Wish some ppl on here would get a sense of humour and perspective and stop being ****s. Happy new Year to you.

Are there? Like who? Just because someone is on huge wages doesn't mean necessarily that they have to be paid those wages to go somewhere else. You know some people are prepared to take a cut to get theur career back on course. Only mentioned Morgan because he is a far better option than Vic. Top player who lost his way after big move to Man United. It was only a suggestion anyway, no idea whether its got any legs. Now get off your high horse and calm down. Wish some ppl on here would get a sense of humour and perspective and stop being ****s. Happy new Year to you.

Im not being a **** or whatever you're calling me, merely stating that some fans are so caught up in our past glories that they hang onto this belief than some former players could return and do a job. Theyve moved on, the club have moved on and some of fans should do so as well. We dont have a huge scouting network, black box etc to just bring back former players. Yes there may be opportunities which present themselves, but i havent seen anything from the likes of Vic or Morgan in recent years which makes me think they would be successful again here. Happy new year to you too.

apparently the 'soft' cap of £15 million ish players is going, and that if the right player comes along the club could spend more (like £25 million)

This is really important and positive if true

We are 5th on expected goals stat -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50822875

So attacking wise, whilst we miss chances we clearly are good enough to score goals and create chances, so kind of confirms that defence has to be the priority, sort that out, get some better defenders and we should clear relegation easily.

Danny Drinkwater had a mare at Burnley needs a new challenge was very good at Leicester lost his way . If Burnley can afford his wages we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liverpool will listen to offers for Nathaniel Clyne, could we he do a job for us again? Don’t know how his time at Bournemouth went.

Liverpool will listen to offers for Nathaniel Clyne, could we he do a job for us again? Don’t know how his time at Bournemouth went.
I would say a non-starter. Has he played since he did his ACL? Nearly 29. Not our sort of buy.

if he is fully fit - even if not match fit yet - I would say he may well be a good option on loan for 6 months.

Bowen scored again. People might not think it's a priority but we create a lot of good chances. We have a good striker. But Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal do not score anywhere near enough between them. We need wide attacker who can finish. So many games we draw or lose narrowly after missing good chances. I can't see Redmond improving on that so we need someone to take the pressure off Ings.

Bowen isn't an Adams type, this is a really good footballer who looks likely to make the step up. Some players just look more ready for it, like Grealish and Maddison.

Bowen in niw and then hopefully shift Ellinoussi and Boufal to at least cover his fee. I like Boufal but not sure he fits our style.

A LB and CB is more of a priority though.

FFS we are not going to be spending £20m on Bowen in January where our Manager has stated multiple times that we need defenders.

In real life news, RH said after the game that we are looking and know we need to bring players in, but there is a little less pressure due to our recent form.

We all know how this ends!

FFS we are not going to be spending £20m on Bowen in January where our Manager has stated multiple times that we need defenders.

In real life news, RH said after the game that we are looking and know we need to bring players in, but there is a little less pressure due to our recent form.

Yup. He was adamant we’d sign a player last January too.

(& we had a transfer negotiator then!)

With Bednarek and Stephens in good form, and with 2 or 3 back ups available, surely a LB back up is the priority, along with a goal scorer if Ings gets injured (newsflash to the club: we're ****ed if he does).

Last season there were 3 crap teams at the bottom. This season there doesn't seem to be even one. No time for complacency this time. Which means of course the club will be.

if he is fully fit - even if not match fit yet - I would say he may well be a good option on loan for 6 months.

Doubt he would come back, but if fit would be a good option given that he can play on both wings.

Bowen scored again. People might not think it's a priority but we create a lot of good chances. We have a good striker. But Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal do not score anywhere near enough between them. We need wide attacker who can finish. So many games we draw or lose narrowly after missing good chances. I can't see Redmond improving on that so we need someone to take the pressure off Ings.

Bowen isn't an Adams type, this is a really good footballer who looks likely to make the step up. Some players just look more ready for it, like Grealish and Maddison.

None of this matters as we are not going to sign him in this window.

]

It's a transfer thread, it's based on hope. We don't really know the exact finances or whether Bowen would even want to come.

Sometimes transfers come forward or more of a priority if a player is about to be snapped up by someone else. Maybe we don't rate him anyway, I don't know.

I actually think it's a big priority as we spurn so many chances and it's cost us many times. Could have today too. We can't solely rely on Ings and Bowen looks a really good player.

Depends who leaves. Wouldn't be surprised if Boufal is loaned again now.

Would love to sign him but I think he'll go to someone else as we won't look at Defenders, plus as he is available for free I think in the summer, I'd imagine someone might gamble on a transfer fee now to steal a march on everyone else. Especially as you'd expect most of the big boys would happily take a 22 year old young english goalscorer for a free as a squad player.

Expecting pretty much zero activitiy, no?

Maybe one or two out on loan and one in on loan?

I'd only expect us to be looking for cover, really, rather than starting XI players.

Agree that left back is a problem if Ryan picks up an injury - Cedric and Danso are the back-ups?

I'd only expect us to be looking for cover, really, rather than starting XI players.

Agree that left back is a problem if Ryan picks up an injury - Cedric and Danso are the back-ups?

Why only bring in players for cover? Which player in their right mind would do that? No point bringing in someone who wouldn't improve the match day squad at the very least. Anyone we bring in should be good enough to at least push the players in their position to want to keep it, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Would love to sign him but I think he'll go to someone else as we won't look at Defenders, plus as he is available for free I think in the summer, I'd imagine someone might gamble on a transfer fee now to steal a march on everyone else. Especially as you'd expect most of the big boys would happily take a 22 year old young english goalscorer for a free as a squad player.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hull have an additional year option on his contract, so he isnt actually out of contract this summer. Apparently they want mega bucks for him which is fair enough, so that will certainly rule us out, plus as others have said we need defenders/centre midfielder and will not have hardly any budget to do it with.

Yeah a left back cover on loan is surely the number one priority. If that ends up being someone with potential to be bertrand's replacement that would be a bonus.

Yeah a left back cover on loan is surely the number one priority. If that ends up being someone with potential to be bertrand's replacement that would be a bonus.

Probably depends on the clubs opinion on Vokins...assuming Bertrand stays a few more years, that gives enough time for the transition to happen. I wouldn't be against bringing in an experienced left back to compete with Bertrand now.

Do we know if Maehle is likely to happen?

Probably depends on the clubs opinion on Vokins...assuming Bertrand stays a few more years, that gives enough time for the transition to happen. I wouldn't be against bringing in an experienced left back to compete with Bertrand now.

Why are you speaking of an experienced left back and then mentionning Maehle just after.

Yes he has already played left back but he is a right back by nature.

It s like if you are mentionning Cedric is an experienced left back who can compete with Bertrand as he has played a few times on the left.

Wish someone would provide a definitive update on Sam McQueen. I hear rumours that he might not play again but he seems to have become the forgotten man for Saints. Clearly nowhere near being back to fitness as yet, and that's now well over a year.