SuperSAINT

January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

Well we shall see whether they are "on crack" or not come the end of January. After all Ralph has already stated he's looking to bring in players, and he's not going to paying for them with Unicorn farts is he, so he must already have a pre-agreed budget. IMO I think our budget will be less than the £30-35 million quoted in the papers but that's just conjecture.

He was planning to bring in a few signings last January too. Not sure it means much in terms of whether Gao ultimately spends or not

More that people are desperately seeking a conspiracy that Red Bull are waiting to move in to St Mary's some time soon.

The obvious way to build the relationship with the club ahead of a £250m bid to buy it is to take one of our young fringe players that wont get a game on loan to another of their clubs.

The obvious way to build the relationship with the club ahead of a £250m bid to buy it is to take one of our young fringe players that wont get a game on loan to another of their clubs.

Yes of course. Probably why the Paul Allen bid failed, when we declined to send some fringe player to Seattle in 2007. Makes sense now.

Why? He's been playing for them for the last half-season.

whoosh, as i think the kids say

Tbh he looked very average bordering on rubbish in the last old firm derby this past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh right. Thats not good. If players are not stand out in the SPL then they wont cut the mustard in the Prem. I dipped in and out of that game, but from what I saw he won a lot of headers and nearly scored two or three goals from headers from set pieces. That caught my eye. The basic skill of winning headers is something that has been undervalued at SFC.

True

On SSN app saying that we are interested in Mohammed Salisu - a CB. Hope we are still in for Todibo.

I know it’s likely BS due to the work permit issue - but if we’re seriously looking at a player from Real Valladolid that has made just 18 first team appearances to solve our defensive woes I’ll probably cry.

I know it’s likely BS due to the work permit issue - but if we’re seriously looking at a player from Real Valladolid that has made just 18 first team appearances to solve our defensive woes I’ll probably cry.
Unless our scouts have worked their magic again. Our best signings have been players unproven that we were willing to take a chance on.

Admittedly, they've also been our worst signings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't he get a work permit? If it's the international appearances thing then neither would Djenepo (Mali outside the top 50 in FIFA rankings), Wesley and Joelinton. But they all did. Players brought in to be starters for premier league clubs are hardly ever denied work permits. His first team appearances don't sound like much (19 as of today, got an assist too, good cross) but he had 0 before this season, played every league game starting all but one for Valladolid who have one of the better defensive records in La Liga. Experience for the sake of it is overrated, Vestergaard and Hoedt had plenty of experience before joining us, didn't work out so well.

Oh right. Thats not good. If players are not stand out in the SPL then they wont cut the mustard in the Prem. I dipped in and out of that game, but from what I saw he won a lot of headers and nearly scored two or three goals from headers from set pieces. That caught my eye. The basic skill of winning headers is something that has been undervalued at SFC.

Not seen enough of Julian but I caught the derby and, though I expect Maehle is more likely, I'm a fan of Tavernier and he looked decent in the old firm game. Not sure he is top draw but decent going forwards, good at set pieces, can win the odd header too ...

Unless our scouts have worked their magic again. Our best signings have been players unproven that we were willing to take a chance on.

Admittedly, they've also been our worst signings.

By comparison look at Rafael Varane, played only 23 league games for Lens, was captain in that time, and joined Real Madrid where he’s gone on to be one of the best defenders in the world. All players have to start somewhere and if he’s turning Scout’s heads this early in his career, he must have something about him. I’m not saying he’ll go on to be a Varane, but still...

The thing with a centre back is, six weeks ago we were screaming out for experience to plug the gap. Now we have a partnership forming of mid-20 year olds, so attracting a top youngster may be a good way to go about things. (I still don’t know what to think about the Danso signing though!)

Why wouldn't he get a work permit? If it's the international appearances thing then neither would Djenepo (Mali outside the top 50 in FIFA rankings), Wesley and Joelinton. But they all did. Players brought in to be starters for premier league clubs are hardly ever denied work permits. His first team appearances don't sound like much (19 as of today, got an assist too, good cross) but he had 0 before this season, played every league game starting all but one for Valladolid who have one of the better defensive records in La Liga. Experience for the sake of it is overrated, Vestergaard and Hoedt had plenty of experience before joining us, didn't work out so well.

Really? Joint 7th worse defensive record out of 20 teams.

My despair around this rumour was based upon the fact that it all feels very Groundhog Day, gamble on an unproven defender and then act surprised that we’re in a relegation battle. I think we need a backbone of higher level, late twenty-something year old players, that mean we can consolidate our league position whilst developing the younger talent around them. Danso is meant to have all the attributes this guy has and he can’t even get a place on the bench.

He's literally had a number of chances, and never delivered

That's just not accurate. He's never had a prolonged run in the team, and on the few occasions he has been played he has looked very promising, like when he came on as a sub and changed the game in our win against Spurs last season.

The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.

He's literally had a number of chances, and never delivered
Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

He has a brief cameo and makes an impact then is given a start and his lack of technique really shows and he fades away again.

Repeat x 3 or 4.

If he was dangerous almost every time he plays then he would always play. He doesn't.

He isn't PL quality. Which is no shame as the standard is so high. Can see why a long term move to the US appeals to him, mich better than clogging around in Huddersfield or similar.

Spurs game aside, I always thought we looked weaker last season when he was on the pitch. Like that awful Newcastle game when he was dragged off at HT or against Watford and Liverpool when we were immediately overrun when he came on. Even the win over Wolves, which was decent, we played better as a team after he went off.

He was in and out of a poor Reading team too. I just don’t see him being consistently close to the level we’re looking for.

May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

I am happy with attacking options assuming we don’t sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

Then more radical work in the summer including the many players out on loan

May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

I am happy with attacking options assuming we don’t sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

I agree we don't need any panic buys but a few good results doesnt change the weakness in the squad.

The best time to strengthen is from a position of relative strength and we have that more now than probably at any stage in the last 2 years.

Our targets will have watched the Chelsea and Spurs games and probably feel better about joining us than they did in November.

Ralph knows where we need to improve, the club know - and you can't stand still in the PL, its akin to going backwards.

Joakim Maehle was apparently given an asking price by Genk of £7.5 million today. While I don't know how good he is, aside from what websites etc say about him, and the fact we've been trailing him for a year, that seems like a good price for a right back that will potentially be first choice at the start of next season.

Joakim Maehle was apparently given an asking price by Genk of £7.5 million today. While I don't know how good he is, aside from what websites etc say about him, and the fact we've been trailing him for a year, that seems like a good price for a right back that will potentially be first choice at the start of next season.

Yep he does sound decent but you never know. For that price it's worth it to avoid missing out in the summer.

Agree about January though. People demand signings, it's a poor market, we sign rubbish ones then can't afford to invest properly in the summers. Then people demand the same again.

Generally I'd rather we really think twice about big signings unless we're really sure they fit the system and what the manager wants. Yeah you can't get it right all the time but whoever watched Vesterguard should have known he was too slow to help us, simple as that.

Fans demand signings but ultimately we've had more success sticking with the likes of Long and JWP, letting Bedanrek and Stephens develop, waiting for Ings to come good and so on.

I think we can get through until summer and do it properly. We need a right back, centre back, CM and a wide attacker who can score a few. 4 big signings to come straight in the team, not signings for the future or back-up. But it'll take shifting Forster, Mo, Lemina, Carrillo, Boufal, Vesterguard, Hoedt, Cedric. Christ we've wasted some money.

Yep he does sound decent but you never know. For that price it's worth it to avoid missing out in the summer.

Agree about January though. People demand signings, it's a poor market, we sign rubbish ones then can't afford to invest properly in the summers. Then people demand the same again.

Generally I'd rather we really think twice about big signings unless we're really sure they fit the system and what the manager wants. Yeah you can't get it right all the time but whoever watched Vesterguard should have known he was too slow to help us, simple as that.

Fans demand signings but ultimately we've had more success sticking with the likes of Long and JWP, letting Bedanrek and Stephens develop, waiting for Ings to come good and so on.

I think we can get through until summer and do it properly. We need a right back, centre back, CM and a wide attacker who can score a few. 4 big signings to come straight in the team, not signings for the future or back-up. But it'll take shifting Forster, Mo, Lemina, Carrillo, Boufal, Vesterguard, Hoedt, Cedric. Christ we've wasted some money.

You have been saying we need new players for some time now...

OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.
Interesting. Linked with a forward from a French club whose scored a lot of goals and rumours of red bull sniffing around today. Looks like my source may have got some stuff right. Can I claim an itk badge yet?

Interesting. Linked with a forward from a French club whose scored a lot of goals and rumours of red bull sniffing around today. Looks like my source may have got some stuff right. Can I claim an itk badge yet?

Nope names etc on the back of a postcard etc

Rochdale teenager Luke Matheson looks like a star of the future. He had too much pace for Newcastle's defence today and would be a useful addition to our squad.

Rochdale teenager Luke Matheson looks like a star of the future. He had too much pace for Newcastle's defence today and would be a useful addition to our squad.

He did really well against United earlier in the season too

Don't know if he's any good, but that's the type of player we need. Central striker who can score.

Worth noting that his team (Le Harve) are currently 7th in the French second tier, which is probably the equivalent of lower end League 1 / League 2 over here. Not saying he’s not any good (never heard of him!) just that he’s currently playing at a level lower than Adams was last year.

Worth noting that his team (Le Harve) are currently 7th in the French second tier, which is probably the equivalent of lower end League 1 / League 2 over here. Not saying he’s not any good (never heard of him!) just that he’s currently playing at a level lower than Adams was last year.

That was what they said about Mahrez

Agree they ve all got to start somewhere, however having seen videos of him ob youtube, whilst all his goals are good finished (17 goals including 6 penalties), there is next to no defending around him, he has all the space and time in the world that he wouldn t have here.

Can t really judge his general play he looks pacy on one of the first goals, he doesn t create himself any of the goals, they are all put on a plate for him or result of mistakes from defense.

So very hard to see what he can bring to the table and also do we need him? Not convinced.

If we are looking at strikers we should be looking at someone capable of playing with and playing as replacement to Ingsy.

Personally I would spunk all our cash on a hard tackling no nonsense cb.

If we are looking at strikers we should be looking at someone capable of playing with and playing as replacement to Ingsy.

Personally I would spunk all our cash on a hard tackling no nonsense cb.

Like who?

The gamble on Mahrez was c £450,000 though, but diffferent to £10m.

The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.

Lallana is on 110k a week wages

He is in the first team match squad of a team going for the premier league title for the first in 30 years and also going for the champions league again.

He also told me in the summer he is staying at Liverpool as Klopp has told him he is in his plans after returning from long term injury

Surely, Leicester and wolves will lose all of their star player between now and the end of the summer window

Reads like clickbait - doesn't take long to find a "he might be signing for us" from an Everton perspective, too.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-transfer-blog-carlisle-price-17511606

In all honesty I can't say he looks like a priority for us being that he has only ever played a handful of matches in his entire career.

I'm sure he's great on MLG's little computer games but I'd like a transfer window with less potential and more experience this time.