Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The Athletic going big on our clean sheet objective this season, and how we are going about it.

Its not something I'd noticed but turns out someone pretends to be injured at the one hour point each match, so Ralph can do a mini team talk and they can all have a rest.

https://theathletic.com/2975932/2021/11/24/southampton-hope-fixing-defence-will-help-them-shatter-glass-ceiling-this-is-how-they-have-done-it?source=user-shared-article

Can't read it as not a subscriber.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The Athletic going big on our clean sheet objective this season, and how we are going about it.

Its not something I'd noticed but turns out someone pretends to be injured at the one hour point each match, so Ralph can do a mini team talk and they can all have a rest.

https://theathletic.com/2975932/2021/11/24/southampton-hope-fixing-defence-will-help-them-shatter-glass-ceiling-this-is-how-they-have-done-it?source=user-shared-article

Not that I'm one bit arsed about Ralph or his 'tactics' anymore but if that's even halfway true, someone at the club has a fucking big mouth to leak that.

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I thought every club did that?

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Just checked and Ralph is tied on 128 matches in charge, along with a certain Mr I. Branfoot and four more than Adkins. After the Liverpool game he will be our longest serving manager, in terms of matches, since Ted left in 1973.

What about Laurie and Chris Nichol?

18 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Do you think his ideas just go stale after a while? Happens to better managers when they stay a few years. We persist with 4222 and pressing most the time but it seemed to peak for us in 2020. Since then it's been really poor. Three 1-0s have made things look a little rosier but 2021 as a calender year has been absolutely abysmal. 

What's he going to change to make 2022 better? I don't really want him to leave, I'd just love him to find other ways of playing. Far too much safe possession, not enough good quality chance creation, far too much rewarding rubbish no10s with starts. 

He's still managed to get rid of other manager's mistakes and build a stronger squad without any help from the owners 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, trousers said:

"Calendar year stats are meaningless..."

In fairness they are. The fact we’ve only won a handful of games this year and are still in the league, sort of demonstrates that. 

But let’s not hide from the fact that we’ve been very poor for a long period of time, picked up again this season, but 5 tough fixtures to come which could make or break the season imo. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Maybe when Rangnik moves upstairs as dof for utd he'll come and take his mate Ralph with him 

Did think about this possibility and I suppose if they can't entice Poch to go there they'll widen their search. But not sure how the working relationship between Ralf and Ralph really ended with our Ralph leaving Leipzig when Ralf was still DoF there. 

4 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Sounds depressingly familiar. 

You have no clue.....do you like the way Liverpool play, Chealsea, rb lip  or even man city? They are all employing Radnick ideas, which is a version of leeds beliesa style. 

When Spain destroyed everyone with the tic tac style, with the 7 players from the dominant Barcelona team in 2010 ( Pep is a student of Beliesa), the Germans took notice. They revamped their entire football structure,  out of this change came the gegenpressing, which means counter pressing. Klopp had introduced  this style to pool, but we had seen it with Poch. 

So the press and everything else you need to do to make it work has become the weapon of choice for PROGRESSIVE  coaches. It allowed rb lip to challenge the elite because the press style can disrupt other team as they are being closed down and option are dwindling. So the really big teams that employ this will also have the great players that  will make them very hard to beat if they can execute this demanding style. 

I am so happy we have a progressive coach and we can be part of this exciting style of playing ball. 

• Confused 7

21 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

You have no clue.....do you like the way Liverpool play, Chealsea, rb lip  or even man city? They are all employing Radnick ideas, which is a version of leeds beliesa style. 

When Spain destroyed everyone with the tic tac style, with the 7 players from the dominant Barcelona team in 2010 ( Pep is a student of Beliesa), the Germans took notice. They revamped their entire football structure,  out of this change came the gegenpressing, which means counter pressing. Klopp had introduced  this style to pool, but we had seen it with Poch. 

So the press and everything else you need to do to make it work has become the weapon of choice for PROGRESSIVE  coaches. It allowed rb lip to challenge the elite because the press style can disrupt other team as they are being closed down and option are dwindling. So the really big teams that employ this will also have the great players that  will make them very hard to beat if they can execute this demanding style. 

I am so happy we have a progressive coach and we can be part of this exciting style of playing ball. 

All we need now is the players 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wish he'd fuck off. All that crap this week about having sorted the defence and that's the platform for winning games. Next thing we concede 4 at Liverpool and fail to score, again. Yes, we need to defend better than last season but we also need to start scoring goals as that's how games are won! 

It's time for a change of management, before it's too late. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

The kneejerk reactions have got to stop.

It’s hardly knee jerk, people have wanted him out for over 6 months. 

For the avoidance of any doubt or being accused of knee jerk reaction, this is my view. 
I wanted him gone at the end of last season, not during it. I thought he should have been replaced pre season, but when he wasn’t I think he should remain until the end of this season. IF he continues in the same vein the rest of this season, I’ll want him replaced. 

If that’s knee jerk, then my cocks a carrot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 18/11/2021 at 16:34, Toadhall Saint said:

Good interview with Salisu on the Hampshire paper thing. Speaks very highly of RH ( yeah I know he’s the manager) and how he worked with him and was instructed in how RH wanted his CB’s to play.

Not sure ralph knows how he wants anyone to play anymore. Tactically clueless more often than not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Only when we lose apparently 

Not sure i totally agree with that. even the games we won, as well as we played first half of those, we were as poor second halves, and were fortunate in a couple to get the wins. I get there are swings and roundabouts, but for a year, most 2nd half performances have been an utter disaster.

This shows me the players are good enough to be mid table, maybe slightly higher but not much, but that tactics, or getting out thought by opposing managers, is on Ralph.

This season he has been slightly better than last, but the base was so low last season, I’m genuinely not sure if this is a good thing, or more likely an acceptable thing, or if we are slightly underachieving. 

We also know if things go against us, as much as we have the ability to be 1st half of last season good, we can be 2nd half of last season disastrous. The reason I am a little more nervous this season is we dont have the points we had last season as our credit in the bank so to speak.

I think Dec is a huge month for Ralph personally, and can see it going either way results wise, and ultimately job wise.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Only when we lose apparently 

Games we've won recently'ish

Leeds

Villa

Watford

Leeds had about 100 players out with injury.

Villa were atrocious and sacked Smith afterwards.

Watford just brought in a new manager.

They weren't Ralph being tactically astute.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Games we've won recently'ish

Leeds

Villa

Watford

Leeds had about 100 players out with injury.

Villa were atrocious and sacked Smith afterwards.

Watford just brought in a new manager.

They weren't Ralph being tactically astute.

Drop it mate you re just embarassing yourself

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s hardly knee jerk, people have wanted him out for over 6 months. 

For the avoidance of any doubt or being accused of knee jerk reaction, this is my view. 
I wanted him gone at the end of last season, not during it. I thought he should have been replaced pre season, but when he wasn’t I think he should remain until the end of this season. IF he continues in the same vein the rest of this season, I’ll want him replaced. 

If that’s knee jerk, then my cocks a carrot 

Sums up where I’m at

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

He should have been sacked after that second 9-0 V United like any other club would have.

Yet you people defend him like he's the second coming.

I'm neither defending him nor vilifying him, just pointing out that 'Ralph shaggers' is a rather juvenile comment.

• Like 1

And who would we replace him with??

I think we would struggle to find a manager who is a upgrade on Ralf at this moment in time and in my opinion it would be suicidal to get rid of him now, some may say we could get rid of him at the end of the season but I cannot see us attracting any better quality managers that may be available at that time due to the fact that we are skint.

28 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

And who would we replace him with??

I think we would struggle to find a manager who is a upgrade on Ralf at this moment in time and in my opinion it would be suicidal to get rid of him now, some may say we could get rid of him at the end of the season but I cannot see us attracting any better quality managers that may be available at that time due to the fact that we are skint.

the same was said around the time Hughes was up for the chop

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

the same was said around the time Hughes was up for the chop

It’s the same line trotted out by his fan boys over and over again. That somehow we can’t attract a better manager than Ralph. How many premier league supporters would swap their present manager for Ralph? Not many I reckon. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Well, if you don't rate Ralph it was true wasn't it. But be serious, is any top manager going to come to a club that is skint? 

The club isn’t skint, it just has to spend within its means. IIRC Ralph is on a pretty decent financial package. I’m very much in the camp for keeping Ralph, but given the salary I think it’s not unreasonable to suggest that we couldn’t attract some relatively decent names if a change was made (I hope we don’t, Ralph has his flaws but I don’t see many others getting a significantly better tune out of this squad).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

The club isn’t skint, it just has to spend within its means. IIRC Ralph is on a pretty decent financial package. I’m very much in the camp for keeping Ralph, but given the salary I think it’s not unreasonable to suggest that we couldn’t attract some relatively decent names if a change was made (I hope we don’t, Ralph has his flaws but I don’t see many others getting a significantly better tune out of this squad).

No doubt we could get a decent manger on the same wages as he's on. 

If we decide to sack him which is expensive and then appoint a manager who isn't a free agent that's where finances become problematic.

I just can't see us paying him off and forking out compensation to another team for their manager.

Koeman won't come back here and I don't want him here.

In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, the players he brought here were already identified by Paul Mitchell.

He was an absolute fucking disaster at Everton with a blank chequebook.

And anyway, the only reason he came here in the first place was because we're a Premier League team that fit his pathway to Barcelona.

I wouldn't want him back and he isn't someone from I gather about Semmens, that he would appoint.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

Ralph has plenty of positives but it's nonsense we couldn't attract anyone. It's the premier League, we're an established club, not exactly looking like going down. There's no reason we couldn't convince someone decent. 

Out of interest who'd take Koeman? 

Most likely a disaster but might be fun. We're his most successful club surely? Maybe Feyenoord. But his record elsewhere might have him likely to stay with us, might just be a good fit. At our level his contacts come in handy. But maybe I'm just bored of ralphball. I like him, I just think he makes some ridiculous decisions with line ups. It's tricky as prime Poch or Koeman would only have this squad maybe 4 or 5 points better off, but better football..but more likely Puel, Hughes, Pellegrino types would have it bottom right now. 

I'd take beating Sunderland 8-0 and finishing 6th (qualifying for Europe) every day. But there is no way Koeman would come back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

Ralph has plenty of positives but it's nonsense we couldn't attract anyone. It's the premier League, we're an established club, not exactly looking like going down. There's no reason we couldn't convince someone decent. 

Out of interest who'd take Koeman? 

Most likely a disaster but might be fun. We're his most successful club surely? Maybe Feyenoord. But his record elsewhere might have him likely to stay with us, might just be a good fit. At our level his contacts come in handy. But maybe I'm just bored of ralphball. I like him, I just think he makes some ridiculous decisions with line ups. It's tricky as prime Poch or Koeman would only have this squad maybe 4 or 5 points better off, but better football..but more likely Puel, Hughes, Pellegrino types would have it bottom right now. 

Little harsh on Puel I think. His win % with us is now better than Ralphs I believe and in his one season had Redmond as his top scorer and his best player in Van Dijk out for half the season. Still managed to get us the memorable cup semi-final against Liverpool, had us go toe-to-toe with United in the final and got us a win against Inter Milan in Europe. I don't think he'd have us performing any better than we currently are but don't think he'd do particularly worse either.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Little harsh on Puel I think. His win % with us is now better than Ralphs I believe and in his one season had Redmond as his top scorer and his best player in Van Dijk out for half the season. Still managed to get us the memorable cup semi-final against Liverpool, had us go toe-to-toe with United in the final and got us a win against Inter Milan in Europe. I don't think he'd have us performing any better than we currently are but don't think he'd do particularly worse either.

Boring unless Puel who got us to 8th when he had Mane, Pelle and Wanyama sold soon as he arrived and Van Dijk and Fonte out for half the season. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl