Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

On 28/11/2021 at 17:59, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s the same line trotted out by his fan boys over and over again. That somehow we can’t attract a better manager than Ralph. How many premier league supporters would swap their present manager for Ralph? Not many I reckon. 

Would you be in favour of sacking Ralph now then?

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Boring unless Puel who got us to 8th when he had Mane, Pelle and Wanyama sold soon as he arrived and Van Dijk and Fonte out for half the season. 

As opposed to Ralph never having any of those players and in his two full seasons here averaging 48 points, two more than Puel's 46? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

By your ridiculous measure Arsenals invincibles had a worse season than some runners up had. 

I didn’t realise number of points scored was a "ridiculous measure" of success. The only actual example of that is Liverpool two years ago who won 30/38 games, scored 97 points and were 13mm away from being invincible themselves. Yes, I would say they were marginally better than Arsenal’s invincibles.

21 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Ralph has plenty of positives but it's nonsense we couldn't attract anyone. It's the premier League, we're an established club, not exactly looking like going down. There's no reason we couldn't convince someone decent. 

Out of interest who'd take Koeman? 

Most likely a disaster but might be fun. We're his most successful club surely? Maybe Feyenoord. But his record elsewhere might have him likely to stay with us, might just be a good fit. At our level his contacts come in handy. But maybe I'm just bored of ralphball. I like him, I just think he makes some ridiculous decisions with line ups. It's tricky as prime Poch or Koeman would only have this squad maybe 4 or 5 points better off, but better football..but more likely Puel, Hughes, Pellegrino types would have it bottom right now. 

We probably could attract a better manager, wether we would or not is a different matter, I seriously doubt it. We have nothing like the appeal we would have had when owned by Liebherr. Any new candidate knows there will be little or no investment and every season will be a tough fight just to stay up. A risky career move for anyone with a decent reputation.

15th is not underperforming when you look at what we are up against.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I didn’t realise number of points scored was a "ridiculous measure" of success. 

If your judging different seasons, of course it is. You end up with the ridiculous situation where runners ups have “better” seasons than teams that actually win the league, and relegated teams have “better” seasons than those that stay up.Points only became a thing on here  because Claude Puel made  us the 8th best team in his only season, and some people didn’t rate him. They try to talk down that achievement, and points is the way they use. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

All these Ralph defenders...

Question...

What happens if we get done 3-0 Wednesday?

What will you all say?

Wasting your time mush!.. If we get done by 9 again there’s a majority on here will defend him .. the cult is rife !! Brain washed like the omen !… 

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

How much higher than 15th should Saints be then?

So because we're 15th at the moment that excuses the dog shit runs we've been on and being smashed by a British record scoreline twice...

Does he survive at any other club?

Think about it.

Does he survive what he's survived here at ANY other club?

5 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

So because we're 15th at the moment that excuses the dog shit runs we've been on and being smashed by a British record scoreline twice...

Think about it.

I couldn’t give a shite about any other club.

If a rubbish manager has us at 15th, where should we expect to be with a good manager? Above Everton, Villa?

17 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If a rubbish manager has us at 15th, where should we expect to be with a good manager? Above Everton, Villa?

What's your point?

So you know he's a rubbish manager but you're happy we're 15th?

Right. Got it.

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Between 10th and 13th with current squad. We won't finish that high under ralph. Heard Ralph is on 8m a year. Quite a lot if true for mediocre performances. Still don't understand what his black book of tactics is trying to achieve in the long run.

Ridiculous we have let him shape the club from top to bottom in my eyes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You know that this 15th spot is only temporary, right? It’s where we finish over a complete season that matters. And that may well turn out to be 15th but we’re only a third of the way through at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Between 10th and 13th with current squad. We won't finish that high under ralph. Heard Ralph is on 8m a year. Quite a lot if true for mediocre performances. Still don't understand what his black book of tactics is trying to achieve in the long run.

Ridiculous we have let him shape the club from top to bottom in my eyes.

If we sack our manager for finishing below 13th we’re going to have a very high turnover. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You know that this 15th spot is only temporary, right? It’s where we finish over a complete season that matters. And that may well turn out to be 15th but we’re only a third of the way through at the moment.

Of course, and it may be higher.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If your judging different seasons, of course it is. You end up with the ridiculous situation where runners ups have “better” seasons than teams that actually win the league, and relegated teams have “better” seasons than those that stay up.Points only became a thing on here  because Claude Puel made  us the 8th best team in his only season, and some people didn’t rate him. They try to talk down that achievement, and points is the way they use. 

So you’re judging who’s the better manager purely by the number of points OTHER teams scored in a season? In other words if Pep’s Man City team had lost a couple of extra games against Palace and Everton two years ago, that would have made Liverpool and Klopp better, in your eyes?

9 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Think about it.

Does it matter what would happen at any other club? It's all hypothetical anyway because what happens after the sacking is completely unknown.

Say Palace sacked Hodgson after two 9-0 losses but then appointed a new manager who ended up getting them relegated. Would that have been ok because they sacked the man who oversaw two heavy defeats, or should they have kept Hodgson?

Same with us, we could have sacked Hasenhuttl and then got relegated under a different manager. No one knows.

You seem incredibly hung up on those two defeats. I get that they were terrible but really, who cares anymore?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Does it matter what would happen at any other club? It's all hypothetical anyway because what happens after the sacking is completely unknown.

Say Palace sacked Hodgson after two 9-0 losses but then appointed a new manager who ended up getting them relegated. Would that have been ok because they sacked the man who oversaw two heavy defeats, or should they have kept Hodgson?

Same with us, we could have sacked Hasenhuttl and then got relegated under a different manager. No one knows.

You seem incredibly hung up on those two defeats. I get that they were terrible but really, who cares anymore?

We won, what, like 2 games after the second 9-0. It’d have been almost impossible for anyone to have done any worse. 

Just now, Dman said:

We won, what, like 2 games after the second 9-0. It’d have been almost impossible for anyone to have done any worse. 

Again, hypothetical. No one knows. 

All the people who want Hasenhuttl sacked should be protesting to the board because they are the people who make that decision.

I take it you are all chanting about this at matches and writing to Martin Semmens as you seem very passionate about it?

A fear of not being able to find a good manager to replace him is not really a healthy reason to keep him. He is either up to the job or he is not. Good managers are out there ( Potter was a brave choice by Brighton ) but whether we have enough football nous on the Board to find and appoint one is another matter. Not slagging Semmens and Co but not sure there is a lot of football acumen there. Hasenhuttl has his plus points but I don’t think we - apart from Branfoot, have had such a frustrating manager. 

30 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

A fear of not being able to find a good manager to replace him is not really a healthy reason to keep him. He is either up to the job or he is not. Good managers are out there ( Potter was a brave choice by Brighton ) but whether we have enough football nous on the Board to find and appoint one is another matter. Not slagging Semmens and Co but not sure there is a lot of football acumen there. Hasenhuttl has his plus points but I don’t think we - apart from Branfoot, have had such a frustrating manager. 

The difference is that Branfoot came across as an extremely dislikable person. I couldn't stand him. He was probably the only manager to be booed by his own fans at a Wembley Final (the ZDS). Ralph is very likeable and who obviously loves his job here and the club. I haven't seen any protests to get rid of him or any booing of him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Twar would say that Ralph got his tactics right and that playing Walcott as a false number 9 was a genius move, but we were up against a world class LFC.

I very much wouldn't say playing Walcott at a false 9 was a good move.

Leicester are a good side though and if we play well and miss out because their quality shines through, then that quality should be acknowledged. IE if we have about the same amount of chances as them but they put theirs away because Vardy is a lot better than what we have then that would be acknowledged as a contributing factor rather than saying they "out-tactic'd us". Similarly if one of our weaker players make a glaring error then that player would receive a good share of the blame.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

You're one of the posters on here who posts pretty decently.

But fucking hell.

That is a shocking post and you go to games.

44 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Nail. Head. Hit.

Edit to add: Pellegrino was horrendous.

I sat through every last game of that.

Edited by JustinSFC

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Ofcourse people care .. 2 9 nils woven into our folklore .. every fan I’ve spoken too at away games up and down the country have given it to me 1st sentence.. can’t defend it ! Conversation over ! … embarrassing as fuck ! Together with record run of defeats … I’m dreading the line up for tomorrow.. could be another defeat on the cards .. but again Ralph will be defended like Custer at the Alamo on here !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You're kidding right?. Redknapp, Jones, Sturrock, Hughes, Pelligrino, Burley, Gray, Puel (even though i thought he got a raw deal here) were all much more frustrating than Hassenhuttl. You just dont like him and we all know the reasons why, it's personal, just be honest about it.

• Like 6

If we take less than 3 points from this weeks two games he needs to go. 

In principal I like his philosophy and way of working but it is not having the effect it needs to. I feel he is almost stuck and can't find a way out, we either perform or don't, without any rhyme nor reason. 

We need a fresh mind, fresh energy and fresh approach. Sooner rather than later. 

On 28/11/2021 at 11:15, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s hardly knee jerk, people have wanted him out for over 6 months. 

For the avoidance of any doubt or being accused of knee jerk reaction, this is my view. 
I wanted him gone at the end of last season, not during it. I thought he should have been replaced pre season, but when he wasn’t I think he should remain until the end of this season. IF he continues in the same vein the rest of this season, I’ll want him replaced. 

If that’s knee jerk, then my cocks a carrot 

This I get.  I don't agree with the end of last season opinion but its seems coherent and thought through (And the carrot made me laugh out loud)

56 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

In principal I like his philosophy and way of working but it is not having the effect it needs to. I feel he is almost stuck and can't find a way out, we either perform or don't, without any rhyme nor reason. 

We need a fresh mind, fresh energy and fresh approach. Sooner rather than later. 

This I don't get.  It's so short-termist that it I just can't get on board with it.  If he's 'stuck and can't find a way out' and 'we need a fresh mind, fresh energy and fresh approach' why should your view depend on just two matches? From what you are saying, presumably if we win one of these games you are happy for him to stay  As this pendulum thread shows, there's room here for people who want to him to stay and those that want him to go.  So pick one but try and base it on something more substantial than 2 matches.

Edit.  As per Lord D, for the avoidance of doubt, I am for Ralph staying for the season.  We've played some good stuff so far, we just can't score.  Ralph has shown more flexibility (criticism has moved from being too stubborn to too tinker man).  The spirit seems there, were doing ok (but not great).

Edited by The Left Back

52 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Ole Hootle is doing so many good things except producing a winning formula, I heard him actually say "it does not matter so much that we are not winning ..."

They really should win matches like the Norwich game [goes without saying.] he will be in trouble before long. He has a track record of moving on if things do not go his way.

I LIKE Ralph, I just wish he would stop fiddling. 

Edited by Tank

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You're kidding right?. Redknapp, Jones, Sturrock, Hughes, Pelligrino, Burley, Gray, Puel (even though i thought he got a raw deal here) were all much more frustrating than Hassenhuttl. You just dont like him and we all know the reasons why, it's personal, just be honest about it.

Puel’s team was frustrating to watch, in the main because we went from attacking / winning football with Poch and Koeman to Puel who was more defensively minded. Puel however was, imo, a much better ‘coach’ and tactically far better than Hassenhuttl. 

I wasn’t a fan of Puel, but if he’d been shown the loyalty and time that Ralph has, I suspect he’d have been seen as one of our better managers, along with Poch and Koeman. 

Given the choice of the 2 now, I think in our current situation, I’d pick Puel. 

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

A reminder of our net spend this summer. And yet people expect Ralph to have us 10th-13th?

Screenshot_2021-11-30-09-11-52-649_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Well 13th is currently only 2 points above us. A win against any of Norwich, Burnley or Newcastle and that's where we'd actually be. Are we being unrealistic to think we should win against those sort of teams? Money spent is also not always a direct correlation with quality.

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

With our current squad, and budget, and approach to new signings, who could we actually attract as a manager who would be in a better position than Ralph?

Were we in a better position when we got rid of Hughes for Ralph? The Premier League, the better wages and the chance to put yourself in the shop window for a better move in the future are all things that could attract a manager in the same way we try to attract players with those things. I'm certainly not saying we should get rid of Ralph (think he's doing ok this season though some of those questionable decisions from last season are rearing their head again past couple of games) but it's not some impossibility that we couldn't find someone else and with an average of about a point a game currently it's not the highest of bars to clear to do as well or better either.

Too early to say if anything needs to be done anyway, a couple of wins in a row currently and you're knocking on the door for European places, couple of losses and you're hovering just above the relegation zone. I've said it before but the next 5 or so games against the teams around us will show us if we are in real trouble or not.

15 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Well 13th is currently only 2 points above us. A win against any of Norwich, Burnley or Newcastle and that's where we'd actually be. Are we being unrealistic to think we should win against those sort of teams? Money spent is also not always a direct correlation with quality.

Were we in a better position when we got rid of Hughes for Ralph? The Premier League, the better wages and the chance to put yourself in the shop window for a better move in the future are all things that could attract a manager in the same way we try to attract players with those things. I'm certainly not saying we should get rid of Ralph (think he's doing ok this season though some of those questionable decisions from last season are rearing their head again past couple of games) but it's not some impossibility that we couldn't find someone else and with an average of about a point a game currently it's not the highest of bars to clear to do as well or better either.

Too early to say if anything needs to be done anyway, a couple of wins in a row currently and you're knocking on the door for European places, couple of losses and you're hovering just above the relegation zone. I've said it before but the next 5 or so games against the teams around us will show us if we are in real trouble or not.

So with our offering we could attract a manager as good as Ralph, who isn't very good?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

Puel’s team was frustrating to watch, in the main because we went from attacking / winning football with Poch and Koeman to Puel who was more defensively minded. Puel however was, imo, a much better ‘coach’ and tactically far better than Hassenhuttl. 

I wasn’t a fan of Puel, but if he’d been shown the loyalty and time that Ralph has, I suspect he’d have been seen as one of our better managers, along with Poch and Koeman. 

You raise an interesting comparison there. I think I agree with you that pull may have been a better coach and tactically stronger than Ralph.  You acknowledge he was defensively minded and for me that's the problem.  I found the end of that season turgid beyond belief and was praying he would go.  I know he achieved a decent season and all that, but it was the manner of the football that put me off.  And for that reason (as I've said before) I'm happy to stay on the Ralph Rollercoaster (as opposed to the Puel Plod?)

So given the choice now you'd pick Puel.  I'd pick Ralph.  Who would others pick to be our manager right now out of the two of them?

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

Tactically Puel was very good, two wins over Liverpool, IIRC we didn't concede against them in 4 games that season, won at Arsenal when they were better as well. I dont agree he was too defensive, there were some great performances under him too, we scored 4 away in back to back matches at Watford and Sunderland, i remember we beat Burnley 3-1 at St Marys and we had something like 35 attempts at goal. We weren't defensive in Milan, it was crap finishing that cost us that night, we also weren't defensive at Wembley when we were so unlucky against Man United, he adapted his tactics to suit, he knew if we went toe to toe with the likes of Liverpool there would only be one result.

The trouble is people remember Puel for three things. Not qualifying from the group stages in Europe, yes that wasn't great, but people ignore the fact that under Koeman we didn't even make the group and we were absolutely bloody awful away in Denmark worse than anything we saw under Puel. They only seem to remember the last half a dozen home games, yes that was dull but also it's forgotten than he had in Yoshida and an inexperienced Stephens probably the worst centre back pairing the league, with Fonte sold and Van Dijk injured so he had to set up to give them protection otherwise we'd have got a few hammerings. Finally people moaned about him from the start because he wasn't a big name and not what they expected, people moaned about how boring his interviews were from the start of the season. All the good stuff he did is swept under the carpet. 

Another thing people ignore is that he had a lot more fixtures to contend with than any manager before or since, 6 European matches plus a cup final run and a squad that had lost 5 of it's best players from the previous year for at least half the season 3 for the full season. I like Ralph but tactically Puel was better, very good at being able to set up depending on the opposition and team available to him. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

So you’re judging who’s the better manager purely by the number of points OTHER teams scored in a season? In other words if Pep’s Man City team had lost a couple of extra games against Palace and Everton two years ago, that would have made Liverpool and Klopp better, in your eyes?

It’s very simple. Despite getting 2 more points, finishing 11th isn’t as good as finishing 8th. 

If Ralph gets 47 points and by some miracle gets relegated, will you still claim that it was a better performance than Puels 8th . Weird. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl