Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

7 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah agreed, play kids if they are good, not if they are not. Salisu is like a month older than Tella, and he's my player of the season so far. Livramento is probably the best teenager in the league (since Greenwood turned 20 in october!) and he starts every game. If Valery and Jank were up to it they would have started a lot, they weren't so they didn't. Simple as that imo.

Maybe, but Livramento is a worse right back than KWP on current ability. No contest. So in effect, one of our best players from last season is basically being dropped or played out of position so we can develop and sell on a promising youngster.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Maybe, but Livramento is a worse right back than KWP on current ability. No contest. So in effect, one of our best players from last season is basically being dropped or played out of position so we can develop and sell on a promising youngster.

I disagree. I think Livramento has been very good.

34 minutes ago, TWar said:

I disagree. I think Livramento has been very good.

Defensively really, really sloppy in the last 6 weeks in my eyes. Bit nullified in attack too, but still quality on the ball when he does have it. Needs a rest in my eyes, not sure why we don't give him one.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Defensively really, really sloppy in the last 6 weeks in my eyes. Bit nullified in attack too, but still quality on the ball when he does have that.

I don't think he's too bad in defence. I think often people blame him when we give the ball away cheaply in midfield and he is high up and has to get back, which is pretty unfair for me. I can't remember too many goals I'd consider "his fault" this season.

His ability to control and play the ball under pressure is essential though, he's basically the only member of our back 7 (including the GK) who I trust to play a ball under pressure other than JWP (and even he has slip ups)

Just now, TWar said:

I don't think he's too bad in defence. I think often people blame him when we give the ball away cheaply in midfield and he is high up and has to get back, which is pretty unfair for me. I can't remember too many goals I'd consider "his fault" this season.

His ability to control and play the ball under pressure is essential though, he's basically the only member of our back 7 (including the GK) who I trust to play a ball under pressure other than JWP (and even he has slip ups)

I've watched him in recent weeks and I see someone a bit hurried, he panics and is starting to hack clearances into the air if you've noticed. He's getting on the wrong side of attackers and being done in the box, he's diving in too late and giving away fouls. He's certainly not faultless defensively and has been a contributor to some of the goals we've let in. 

He's only 18 though, would be daft not to expect him to have a drop off. We need to give him a break for his own sake though.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I've watched him in recent weeks and I see someone a bit hurried, he panics and is starting to hack clearances into the air if you've noticed. He's getting on the wrong side of attackers and being done in the box, he's diving in too late and giving away fouls. He's certainly not faultless defensively and has been a contributor to some of the goals we've let in. 

He's only 18 though, would be daft not to expect him to have a drop off. We need to give him a break for his own sake though.

I'm happy to keep starting him personally. I think KWP has been pretty decent on the LB role (better than Perraud imo) so I think our current set up is probably the best. Perraud was pretty suspect defensively I thought too, although undoubtedly a better crosser than Tino.

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

They're still playing for Ralph. Not sure how you could sack him after that. Brentford game is big though

We were poor tonight. Still huge areas of midfield with no Saints player in sight. Two up front means we never control midfield which is why we conceded the second goal.

As for those pathetic ‘long’ throw-ins!!!! 
what in Gods name are they about?????

My 85 year old Mum could do better.

As a professional football club can we not teach how to take a long throw in- it is easy to coach the technique….

Sorry Ralph you keep losing leads for a reason. Two up front will not wash any more but like everything else you just keep doing what you always did and keep getting the same result. Every time Palace came forward they ended up at our penalty area because we do not have any midfield.

You got out of jail tonight with two worldy goals but the same tactical ineptitude and mindless substitute replacements remained.
Time to go now Ralph, seen enough… 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, captainchris said:

We were poor tonight. Still huge areas of midfield with no Saints player in sight. Two up front means we never control midfield which is why we conceded the second goal.

As for those pathetic ‘long’ throw-ins!!!! 
what in Gods name are they about?????

My 85 year old Mum could do better.

As a professional football club can we not teach how to take a long throw in- it is easy to coach the technique….

Sorry Ralph you keep losing leads for a reason. Two up front will not wash any more but like everything else you just keep doing what you always did and keep getting the same result. Every time Palace came forward they ended up at our penalty area because we do not have any midfield.

You got out of jail tonight with two worldy goals but the same tactical ineptitude and mindless substitute replacements remained.
Time to go now Ralph, seen enough… 

Utter utter nonsense. We were well worth our half-time lead, no luck involved at all.

And you can blame the tactics but it's those tactics that gets us into leads in the first place. Shows we're not a million miles off where we could be, just need to be bit better defensively. Personally I think had we been more clinical and got a third when we were on top, we'd have won that game. It'll come good this season, I'm pretty sure about that.

Its worrying we are not picking up wins right now, 16 points dropped from winning positions already this season, even if we took 50% of these points we would be sitting pretty up near 7th. Hope it doesn't come to bite us in the arse. Must be effecting the mental side of the squad big time.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Its worrying we are not picking up wins right now, 16 points dropped from winning positions already this season, even if we took 50% of these points we would be sitting pretty up near 7th. Hope it doesn't come to bite us in the arse. Must be effecting the mental side of the squad big time.

This is my worry, games where we play fairly well in we're still not winning. We don't look comfortable in any game, no matter how well we play. Lots of draws, lots of points thrown away after playing well. We're not seeing it over the line when we deserve to win.

My concern is what happens when we have a dip in form and stop actually playing well at all, as all teams go through.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TWar said:

I'm happy to keep starting him personally. I think KWP has been pretty decent on the LB role (better than Perraud imo) so I think our current set up is probably the best. Perraud was pretty suspect defensively I thought too, although undoubtedly a better crosser than Tino.

Cheers for the update Ralph. Any insights on who you are gonna pick for Brentford?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That’s how I see it. Loses concentration at vital times and gets caught ball watching. A number goals have come from him ball watching. But I still think he is going to be top class in a few years.

43 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

If he is Ralph, Armstrong will come back in ahead of Broja when he’s fit.

I imagine Armstrong will, he did come back in last time after Broja scored a couple of goals benching Broja. Sounds like Adams might be out for a while though so a front four of Armstrong, Broja, Redmond, Tella is probably what we will use for the time being.

My main gripe now and what is clearly an error by management each game and should be an easy/simple fix is our set-pieces, which is ironic as we scored from one yesterday.

Yes, a large proportion of the time at current the subs and tactics are also wrong, but you can put part of the blame on them being match dependant/being dictated by what's happening on the pitch. However, you can't give this excuse to the set-pieces.

Now, JWP is the best direct free-kick taker in world football at current, in my personal opinion. However, his indirect free-kicks are more often miss than hit and his corners are just a bit shit, despite each one getting talked up by the commentator prior to his taking. When he was suspended Redmond was really effective with his corners and showed us what a good corner taker is again and why we shouldn't just settle. However, he gets taken off them as soon as JWP comes back in, who is seemingly the automatic choice for all corners/free-kicks because he's top drawer when striking a direct one. They're different skills, obviously and I would have hoped that the analysts/those that review the matches at the club would have picked up on how much more effective we were at corners when Redmond took them and why they're currently not working.

Then we have the attacking throw-ins... Even the commentators on BT were able to point out that the Salisu throw-ins weren't very good, as he can't actually throw very far and what he does throw are looped in and easy to defend. They only sat through 90 minutes of that... We see it every game. Surely, it's clear to the management again that for all of Salisu's skills, throw-ins aren't one of them. I know that we've been shit from throw-ins for years, even the short ones, which is weird, but I think we would be better off by just keeping it simple.

Please can we get some changes here. It's like when Hodgson put Kane on corners, everybody could see it was wrong, apart from those who make the decision.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

My main gripe now and what is clearly an error by management each game and should be an easy/simple fix is our set-pieces, which is ironic as we scored from one yesterday.

Yes, a large proportion of the time at current the subs and tactics are also wrong, but you can put part of the blame on them being match dependant/being dictated by what's happening on the pitch. However, you can't give this excuse to the set-pieces.

Now, JWP is the best direct free-kick taker in world football at current, in my personal opinion. However, his indirect free-kicks are more often miss than hit and his corners are just a bit shit, despite each one getting talked up by the commentator prior to his taking. When he was suspended Redmond was really effective with his corners and showed us what a good corner taker is again and why we shouldn't just settle. However, he gets taken off them as soon as JWP comes back in, who is seemingly the automatic choice for all corners/free-kicks because he's top drawer when striking a direct one. They're different skills, obviously and I would have hoped that the analysts/those that review the matches at the club would have picked up on how much more effective we were at corners when Redmond took them and why they're currently not working.

Then we have the attacking throw-ins... Even the commentators on BT were able to point out that the Salisu throw-ins weren't very good, as he can't actually throw very far and what he does throw are looped in and easy to defend. They only sat through 90 minutes of that... We see it every game. Surely, it's clear to the management again that for all of Salisu's skills, throw-ins aren't one of them. I know that we've been shit from throw-ins for years, even the short ones, which is weird, but I think we would be better off by just keeping it simple.

Please can we get some changes here. It's like when Hodgson put Kane on corners, everybody could see it was wrong, apart from those who make the decision.

I think with set pieces we have an issue that our players aren't getting on the end of them well. For instance, we had two free kicks which JWP put bang on the money yesterday onto the heads of Broja and Long and both were tame easy saves for the GK. I also think the corners are often into dangerous areas but rarely connect with our guys. I wonder if that is because the players who are attacking them this season are worse than those last. This is the one, literally the only one, place we miss Vestergaard.

There are times where JWP hits the first man or puts it too close to the keeper and thats on him, but thats normal goals from corners are extremely rare. But I think often they have a nice trajectory and are into a nice area but, to steal an NFL term, our players in the box aren't getting "separation". And when they do, they don't make the best of it. That's why the commentators keep bigging them up, they have nice height and trajectory, we just aren't attacking the ball well enough.

Edited by TWar

27 minutes ago, TWar said:

I imagine Armstrong will, he did come back in last time after Broja scored a couple of goals benching Broja. Sounds like Adams might be out for a while though so a front four of Armstrong, Broja, Redmond, Tella is probably what I will use for the time being.

Thanks Ralph. Do you have a leaving date yet ?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TWar said:

I think with set pieces we have an issue that our players aren't getting on the end of them well. For instance, we had two free kicks which JWP put bang on the money yesterday onto the heads of Broja and Long and both were tame easy saves for the GK. I also think the corners are often into dangerous areas but rarely connect with our guys. I wonder if that is because the players who are attacking them this season are worse than those last. This is the one, literally the only one, place we miss Vestergaard.

There are times where JWP hits the first man or puts it too close to the keeper and thats on him, but thats normal goals from corners are extremely rare. But I think often they have a nice trajectory and are into a nice area but, to steal an NFL term, our players in the box aren't getting "separation". And when they do, they don't make the best of it. That's why the commentators keep bigging them up, they have nice height and trajectory, we just aren't attacking the ball well enough.

JWP should be taken off corners, Redmond and Smallbone demonstrated clearly that they were as good or better than JWP, and JWP would be more useful in the mix, or patrolling the D ready for a shot or to defend a break out. His FKs are fine, wouldn't change them, but it does no harm to mix them up occasionally. 

Think Vestergaard scored all our headed indirect set pieces last year bar one? 

I don't think JWP is the problem - more that we have quite a small team. Bednarek, Salisu, Jan & Stephens aren't exactly renowned for their aerial dominance. Outside of them our only tall(ish) player who starts regularly is Broja? 

JWP's delivery from corners has generally been pretty good - but we don't have the physical presence to benefit from them like we did last year.

On a smaller note, I'd like to see us bring back some of the inventive corner/free kick routines (Like Ings vs Liverpool last season). Think we tried a few at the start of the season which almsot paid off - then we just stopped.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2021 at 18:35, VectisSaint said:

JWP should be taken off corners, Redmond and Smallbone demonstrated clearly that they were as good or better than JWP, and JWP would be more useful in the mix, or patrolling the D ready for a shot or to defend a break out. His FKs are fine, wouldn't change them, but it does no harm to mix them up occasionally. 

Great point. Hes one of our best defenders to the counter, him, Romeu and KWP guarding against breaks sounds good to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

One game from halfway through the season and Ralph Hasenhüttl has a poorly funded Saints only 2 points away from 9th place Leicester City. Given the financial resources he has available without a takeover he is doing pretty well. 😇

Happy Football GIF by MolaTV

Had he any tactical nous we would have had those 2 points from Brighton game

• Like 2

On 15/12/2021 at 10:18, Alan Sugarfree said:

The thing with Ralph is, it’s never his fault.

Quite often it is not his fault it is just down to enforced errors by our players like JWP's error in injury time earlier in the month.

If we had better consistent players no doubt are results would be better

34 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Had he any tactical nous we would have had those 2 points from Brighton game

What was wrong with the tactics that day we seemed in control of the game 

Over the years we have held on to 1 0 leads like most other team

Surely it was Jwp's error which led to Brighton scoring

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John B said:

What was wrong with the tactics that day we seemed in control of the game 

Over the years we have held on to 1 0 leads like most other team

Surely it was Jwp's error which led to Brighton scoring

Because we had an extra sub to use - we should have bought on Diallo to strengthen midfield in injury time and kill the game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Because we had an extra sub to use - we should have bought on Diallo to strengthen midfield in injury time and kill the game

Or he could’ve found a way to check on McCarthy instead of just moaning about it 

But obviously can’t say anything is Ralph’s fault

On 15/12/2021 at 22:01, S-Clarke said:

Defensively really, really sloppy in the last 6 weeks in my eyes. Bit nullified in attack too, but still quality on the ball when he does have it. Needs a rest in my eyes, not sure why we don't give him one.

At fault again today, even Merrington is calling him on it. Bizarre that we have fans who can't admit his shortcomings as in no way does it diminish his talent or the things he does well. Simple fact is that he isn't as good a right back as KWP and his defensive play gives the opposition chances and goals. He's been getting bullied by oppo attackers and is rushing / making mistakes defensively. I'd say this has been the case since el ghazi was allowed to foul him continuously and he does need better protection from refs at times, but it is probably time to give him a bit of a break for a few games... (something Ralph said he knew how to do with young players to protect them!). 

Edited by Saint86

2 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

Or he could’ve found a way to check on McCarthy instead of just moaning about it 

You can easily turn that around and say that whenever anything goes wrong, some will always say it is Ralph's fault. Even if their "solution" may not have worked in practice. It's an easy game from the stands.

The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

You are talking nonsense how could he check on McCarthy if he did not realise he was injured it was McCarthy's responsibility to tell the bench he was injured 

Most of our problems are down to individual errors by our players and the lack of quality of our strikers in front of goal against top teams

With the squad we have 20 points is reasonable total at this stage of the season no doubt with better players we would be higher in the league 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

You are talking nonsense how could he check on McCarthy if he did not realise he was injured it was McCarthy's responsibility to tell the bench he was injured 

Most of our problems are down to individual errors by our players and the lack of quality of our strikers in front of goal against top teams

With the squad we have 20 points is reasonable total at this stage of the season no doubt with better players we would be higher in the league 

Or better tactics and substitutions?

1 hour ago, John B said:

As I’ve said previously, Lyanco was taking goal kicks. That’s enough for anyone to suggest McCarthy wasn’t fit enough to be on the pitch, let alone the manager.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Where should this squad be in the league given our wage and transfer budget?

Well according to Transfermarkt we have the 15th most valuable squad at £217.17m which would probably be a better measurement of squad quality rather than what we pay them in wages, so current position of 14th is about right by that measurement. As such he's doing a pretty average job yes? Not particularly higher than what our squad would suggest but certainly not lower either. If we'd been able to beat teams like Newcastle and Norwich though we could have been as high as 9th currently which I think most would see as a marked improvement and were certainly winnable games for us.

Perhaps you disagree though so where do you think we should be and should our current position be seen as better, worse or about as expected?

18 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Well according to Transfermarkt we have the 15th most valuable squad at £217.17m which would probably be a better measurement of squad quality rather than what we pay them in wages, so current position of 14th is about right by that measurement. As such he's doing a pretty average job yes? Not particularly higher than what our squad would suggest but certainly not lower either. If we'd been able to beat teams like Newcastle and Norwich though we could have been as high as 9th currently which I think most would see as a marked improvement and were certainly winnable games for us.

Perhaps you disagree though so where do you think we should be and should our current position be seen as better, worse or about as expected?

We also have to unpick how much credit he gets for nurturing these players so that their values have risen to that level. Having that squad value despite spending much less has to some degree to be to his credit

1 hour ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

The difference between the value we signed them at (including offered wages) and the value they have right now is pretty much entirely down to the manager (and the scouting for good noticing of potential).

1 hour ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

My personal view is that the squad's quality was always going to put us in a relegation battle. We have defenders and midfielders who seem to make key individual errors at critical moments and forwards who don't score goals. The fact you could take any player out of this XI and we don't lose much quality shows that we have no real match-winning quality anywhere on the field. We have championship players all over the XI and halfway through the season are 9 points above the drop zone - not fucking bad if you ask me.

Sometimes you only realise how good a manager is when they go; if Ralph leaves, I think we might find out quite quickly just how much he impacted this group of players. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl