Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Anyone reckon the club have invested too much time into Ralph’s playbook to back out? 🤣

I’m still torn in the Ralph In/Out camp. But I do find it bizarre how you can sack part of the coaching team and seemingly get away with the poor run of results. Those tactics in each game are done by the manager, he isn’t blameless in this. His tactics and formations are woeful. I was surprised when he went five at the back against the bigger sides this season and we largely played better and adapted for the opponent.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 28/05/2022 at 12:52, Matthew Le God said:

Not really, he isn't the only manager in the world to play a 4222, 343 or 352 high press.

No but he was installed to, and we have heard plenty of hyperbole around how integral he was at delivering his masterplan to ensure the entire club is pulling as one towards Ralph’s signature style

So not for the first time you’ve ignored the ball and instead attempted to take out the man for nothing more than to extend your position as Saints no.1 pedant

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

No but he was installed to, and we have heard plenty of hyperbole around how integral he was at delivering his masterplan to ensure the entire club is pulling as one towards Ralph’s signature style

So not for the first time you’ve ignored the ball and instead attempted to take out the man for nothing more than to extend your position as Saints no.1 pedant

The youth teams have been playing his style quite successfully this year. Hopefully with some good backing we see an improvement in the first team as well. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

With regard to the coaching team I think there was a bit of paralysis under Gao after he got his funds frozen, and following the takeover the decision might have been taken fairly quickly to change matters but with a season(and contract) end the natural time to do it, for at least two of the three.

It will be interesting to see what funds are released this summer, and it will be more than we've had recently, so perhaps RH will be given more time. It's a close run thing but think I'd be happy with that: when we've played well it's been good to watch, and perhaps a little more quality will mean we can sustain it for longer and get more points from the Norwichs of this league too.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Exciting times! I can see him coming 'home' and who knows, maybe Mbappe could be tempted to follow him. A front line of Mbappe and Werner with Eriksen providing the ammunition is a mouth-watering prospect.

It would, but that would mean we are not seriously going for Benzima and Vinicius Jnr, which would really pee me off.

On that list, I reckon lampard, bodgers, and possibly Gerrard are decent early bets. Brighton's board are a level headed and stable bunch - an spotter is a solid manager - so surprised to see him there.

Brenda basically ran out of time re fan's patience and will need to do his customary good first half of the season to see Christmas. Everton and villa both have very impatient boards, Gerrard in particular has spent a lot of money / wages and is no better than Dean Smith. Finished poorly on 45 points last year as well. Very much a sink or swim season for Gerrard this year. 

Obviously Ralph can't afford to have a shit start going into the WC. 

Edited by Saint86

35 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

finding nemo life GIF

Cheer up! It isn't even July yet!

I see you have the latest post on nearly every thread, didn’t I see you post that you were a teacher? If so, haven’t you got some marking to do?

23 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Got 12 games to prove he’s the right person to take the club forward supposedly, if we start badly, it wouldn’t surprise me for him to be gone. 

How would you rate his time at the club so far? For me it's a 6/10 at best good spells but by far the most inconsistent manger in this League just as capable of losing nine nil as winning three nil, he can count himself extremely lucky to survive the worst defeats  in our history and several long runs of dreadful dreadful form, we will see what he's made of this season when he can't hide under the excuse that it's not his team, will another 15th be good enough or have we finally got some ambition? 

Edited by Mr X

For me it’s probably a 7. 
He’s galvanised the club, which let’s be honest, was completely fucked when he joined. The larger issue being that we’ve not yet pushed on from that first full season. But it’s clearly driven quite a lot by the club and lack of funds. 

The but I struggle with is he has runs where I’d mark him 9/10 or even 10, and then he has runs when he’s more of a 1 or 2/10. Which for me is why he splits opinions so much. If we had the same results but split differently across the season, I don’t know whether people would be more favourable towards him or not. But there is no doubt the terrible runs are not acceptable and the fact the team seems to lose motivation once we think we’re safe.

Assume it won’t just be on results but progression too. Feels like this is the first full off season, we’ve been able to spend a bit without it being funded by losing our best player. Will be an interesting first third of the season for sure. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Wow, that is extremely generous.

Out of interest, one thing to try when asked to rate something out of ten - ban the use of 7. It forces you to go 6 or 8.

Whatever we all think of him, this is last chance saloon for him so we'll see what happens.

This team should have been relegated already., He does done a decent job to keep us up with none to little funds. 8 for me.

• Like 5

Definite 5 for me.  We've had some great runs, but the percentage of completely inept performances he's presided over is a disgrace, and conceding 60+ goals each year is awful as well.  Let's hope the new coaching setup can address that as RH certainly doesn't seem able too

• Like 1

A 6 from me.

Despite our uncompetitive transfer dealings over the past 5 years, Ralph has ensured we have never truly been in any danger. We have had those horrible runs were it looks like we could be on for back to back relegations, then it twists and we are sustained by looking like we should be in Europe.

The worst bit from me is this continued propenisty to drop points, had many of our results worked the other way, clawing back draws when behind, finishing games strongly, things would feel a lot better even if the results were essentially the same.

He needs a good assistant to balance out his man management foibles, hopefully the new guy does this. With our new structure and owners I doubt he or the players can hide if they are dragging their feet.

• Confused 1

5 for me and that is down to the crap hand he has been dealt. But he has hardly been great dealing with that.

we are his level, which is good in so much a top club in England won’t be wanting him, despite what his agents puts out there!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

A 6 from me.

Despite our uncompetitive transfer dealings over the past 5 years, Ralph has ensured we have never truly been in any danger. We have had those horrible runs were it looks like we could be on for back to back relegations, then it twists and we are sustained by looking like we should be in Europe.

The worst bit from me is this continued propenisty to drop points, had many of our results worked the other way, clawing back draws when behind, finishing games strongly, things would feel a lot better even if the results were essentially the same.

He needs a good assistant to balance out his man management foibles, hopefully the new guy does this. With our new structure and owners I doubt he or the players can hide if they are dragging their feet.

Basically he needs to be moved on. Why does anybody think he will be more successful with this new crop of youngsters than he was with the last lot. I fear it is wishful thinking and we will have another season clinging onto the ledge and hoping that somebody comes along with a safety net in time.

His brand of football evidently doesn't work very well in the PL irrespective of the ex-coaches or the players carrying the can. Nowhere to hide now Ralphie!

Expect Saints to struggle and a new manager by Christmas 🤞

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Expect Saints to struggle and a new manager by Christmas 🤞

Are you actually a fan?

12 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Out of interest, one thing to try when asked to rate something out of ten - ban the use of 7. It forces you to go 6 or 8.

Its a 7 for me, and I'm finding it really hard to choose 6 or 8 so good challenge Golac. If pushed I'll go 8  He's ticked the boxes he would have been asked to tick - stabilise the club, sell off the dead wood, not get relegated (or near it), have some decent cup runs, bloody the noses of the big 6 occasionally.  Obviously 2 9-0s and a couple of length god-awful runs are on the debit side, so I'm the first to admit that giving him an 8 feels weird.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Are you actually a fan?

Its a 7 for me, and I'm finding it really hard to choose 6 or 8 so good challenge Golac. If pushed I'll go 8  He's ticked the boxes he would have been asked to tick - stabilise the club, sell off the dead wood, not get relegated (or near it), have some decent cup runs, bloody the noses of the big 6 occasionally.  Obviously 2 9-0s and a couple of length god-awful runs are on the debit side, so I'm the first to admit that giving him an 8 feels weird.

Yup, which is why I went 7. If I had to pick 6 or 8, then 8. for the exact reasons you mention. People have short memories.  He';s had to deal with a club with no money, whilst trying to get rid of the drains of Lemina, Hoedt, Vestergaard etc.  Hughes came in and did a decent short term job, we were bound for relegation when he came in.  But then normality resumed and we were pathetic at the start of that season.  Ralph came in, played some decent football and got a few wins early on. 

I get that he has his downfalls, but I think he's done well despite the negatives. He's also a great fit for the club....i.e. plays decent football, focuses on young plays, happy to sell best players, etc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

4, JWP kept us up this year, despite Ralph. Unless we buy some proven, ready to roll, PL  players I can only see us starting  next season in the same form we finished this one. 

The achievement of keeping Club like ours in the Premier League when there has been no financial input and no visible presence or support from the owners is remarkable and Ralph deserves credit, so do the much maligned players. Other Clubs have millions or billions poured in to them, we have been the poor relation and yet we have survived. Take heart we are in a new and better era. Enjoy the season and give everyone some appreciation!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Basically he needs to be moved on. Why does anybody think he will be more successful with this new crop of youngsters than he was with the last lot. I fear it is wishful thinking and we will have another season clinging onto the ledge and hoping that somebody comes along with a safety net in time

Honestly, wouldn't be adverse to a mangerial change, but I am grateful for the relative stability (if not consistency) he has brought to the club when we could so easily have been relegated. 

• Like 1

5 at a push from me, it's not even the 2x 9v0s it's all the games like West brom, Leeds where we could've and should've let in 6, the Chelsea game would've been 10 if they didn't take there foot of pedal, the games we've fell apart, such a fragile mentality and that stems from Ralph, he's so reactive that a game is gone before he realises, I'm sorry but being good in front of camera doesn't wash anymore

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

For me it’s probably a 7. 
He’s galvanised the club, which let’s be honest, was completely fucked when he joined. The larger issue being that we’ve not yet pushed on from that first full season. But it’s clearly driven quite a lot by the club and lack of funds. 

The but I struggle with is he has runs where I’d mark him 9/10 or even 10, and then he has runs when he’s more of a 1 or 2/10. Which for me is why he splits opinions so much. If we had the same results but split differently across the season, I don’t know whether people would be more favourable towards him or not. But there is no doubt the terrible runs are not acceptable and the fact the team seems to lose motivation once we think we’re safe.

Assume it won’t just be on results but progression too. Feels like this is the first full off season, we’ve been able to spend a bit without it being funded by losing our best player. Will be an interesting first third of the season for sure. 

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

2 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

5 at a push from me, it's not even the 2x 9v0s it's all the games like West brom, Leeds where we could've and should've let in 6, the Chelsea game would've been 10 if they didn't take there foot of pedal, the games we've fell apart, such a fragile mentality and that stems from Ralph, he's so reactive that a game is gone before he realises, I'm sorry but being good in front of camera doesn't wash anymore

This brings back all the bad memories from last season. I had already started to forget...as have some others on here I fear

Overall, 8. He was brought in to try and fight off relegation whilst we slowly processed the absolute sh*t storm of player recruitment lead by Les and Ross. Not only has he achieved that, we’ve been comfortably above any kind of relegation fight. All this with some thoroughly substandard players having to be used regularly. Even our so called best players, like Ings, Vest and Bertrand, when sold to our mid table rivals, looked mediocre to hopeless under decent managers like Gerrard and Rogers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think he's a decent coach (as he appears to develop individuals well) but aim not convinced by his game management and team selection. 

Overall and ultimately results matter more than development and he hasn't really got that consistency. 

Our extremes of performance levels suggest he doesn't adapt or adapts very too easily or randomly. 

For me he should probably go but who to replace him with is a tricky one!!

I dont think he will before the season, as think these new owners would of done so by now if they wanted to. 

5 for me

if you asked me after his first month or so it would’ve been 9 but 

far too many games where the opposition manger changes tactics and it tears us to shreds

far too many games where the starting line up looks weird and the game plays out accordingly

far too many games where the substitutions are left too late

far too many games where the substitutions make no sense

far too many players (especially in the forward half look good and get worse every week

Far to often tries to shoehorn players into his system rather than play a system that suits the players he has

Edited by MAY-Z
  • Like 1

When, or even a few games before, the season ended I wanted him gone. All I could see was a stubborn manager making the same mistakes time and time again.

BUT

Since the season has ended I've changed my mind. He clearly has the backing of the new owners, at least for now, and that is good enough for me . 3 transfers in already, how involved RH was in those we will probably never know but it shows faith in him. If they wanted him out they'd have got rid by now before any new signings. But more importantly, the backroom staff changes that the new owners have made. Again we'll probably never know if they were with RH's blessing,  at his request, or maybe against his wishes, but some have gone, new people have arrived, and he is still here.  For the first time since he's been here we look like we are getting in the players (and backroom team) we want as opposed to making do with what we've got and whoever we could get late in the window after missing on the preferred targets  whilst having to sell/loan out players before we could make signings. We're not made of money, for each new one in one has to go but at least we're shopping in the right order now.

There is an air of change around the club, big changes, after too many stagnant, make do years. For better or for worse he looks to be part of that change. I'll give him one last chance, slate clean, fresh start. We're not going to be UCL contenders but I'm not unreasonably expecting 20 points by (was going to habitually say Xmas) the World Cup break. Anything less and it's probably "we're calling you in for a chat" time.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl