Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

First manager ever to say acyclically in an interview?

I presume the interview was originally in German, and TheCat via DeepL translated to English. Was left wondering what German word was used and why it wasn't translated simply as 'independently'. :) However, I do like the sound of acyclically.

42 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

How I laugh now, when I look at the first 2 pages Of this thread where all the regular posters were calling for him to be sacked after the Leicester game and how I along with 2-3 others posters were saying that you need to judge the manager over the whole Season and not based on form over the last 6 games.

Same people now calling him one of our greatest managers, that he is a genious. Laughable 😂😂😂

Some great posts on there "f*ck of back to Germany Ralph you c*nt" a long rambling post from the historian, and if i'm not much mistake then poster who suggested a front sweeper a few years back suggest we play Ings in midfield. 🤣 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Some great posts on there "f*ck of back to Germany Ralph you c*nt" a long rambling post from the historian, and if i'm not much mistake then poster who suggested a front sweeper a few years back suggest we play Ings in midfield. 🤣 🤣🤣🤣

<<<<<<<<<Richardson>>>>>>>>

6 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

How I laugh now, when I look at the first 2 pages Of this thread where all the regular posters were calling for him to be sacked after the Leicester game and how I along with 2-3 others posters were saying that you need to judge the manager over the whole Season and not based on form over the last 6 games.

Same people now calling him one of our greatest managers, that he is a genious. Laughable 😂😂😂

One of my favourite pastimes is reading back through threads like this to have a chortle at the "glad I was proven wrong" brigade 

To be fair, I think a lot of people backed Ralph - even after that 9-0. We were all beaten at that point I think, but given that we had (prior to that) 3 and a bit appalling seasons under Puel, Pellegrino and Hugues it just felt there was more wrong than 'just the manager'. I still believe as i did then that he was as good as we could have ever recruited and he was a coup for us.

One thing that has surprised me more than anything is how he's turned around some of these players, after that 9-0 (sorry, i said it again) Vestergaard, JWP, Redmond etc could have done one, the morale between fans and players was at an all time low (it was 3 years of shit from them, after all).

So what he's achieved is even more remarkable really as he's got players that had 'lost it' back to a professional level. 

With someone like Ralph I guess it's a long-term approach rather than a short-term fix it all, yes, we had a bounce, but he still had to totally change the mentality and approach of our entire team (and coaches). That took some time but we finally got there, and I think he's humble enough to admit that he's also learnt valuable lessons along the way from certain mistakes he's made.

This entire 18 months has been a 'growth' period for everyone at Southampton and long may it continue.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Anyone who stood in the pissing rain that night (9-0) and watched the whole lot, would be entitled to the raw opinion they had at the time. I’d be surprised if many genuinely wanted to see him sacked though. Even the 9-0 was more entertaining than the dross of the previous few managers.

44 minutes ago, FairWeather said:

Another nice article about Saints under Hasenhuttl: https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-ralph-hasenhuttls-southampton-2/

Interesting that people are taking note of us not just playing well, but the differences and innovation between us and other teams.

I am not as sure as the author that Southampton will drop out of the race for the top 4. While it is likely that other teams can work out ways of dealing with our tactics on paper and in training they will only have one or two chances of putting their theories into practice.

As we have just witnessed, Newcastle admitted that they knew beforehand what they were up against but when the time came they had no idea in practice of how to deal with us on the pitch.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I am not as sure as the author that Southampton will drop out of the race for the top 4. While it is likely that other teams can work out ways of dealing with our tactics on paper and in training they will only have one or two chances of putting their theories into practice.

As we have just witnessed, Newcastle admitted that they knew beforehand what they were up against but when the time came they had no idea in practice of how to deal with us on the pitch.

agree with this actually. I thin it will coem down to fitness of players and whether the players tire as the season progresses. A little bit of luck with injuries and we could have a decent season. 

I think the next 3 games will tell us lots more about our prospects.

• Like 2

9 points would be "dreamworld" but not impossible. 7 points (2 wins and a draw) would be pretty damn good. Even 6 (two wins and a loss) would be good. 5 points (2 draws and a win - keeping the unbeaten record) wouldn't be disastrous. Any less than that based on current form would be disappointing.

On 16/11/2020 at 13:16, wild-saint said:

ze agree with this actually. I thin it will coem down to fitness of players and whether the players tire as the season progresses. A little bit of luck with injuries and we could have a decent season. 

I think the next 3 games will tell us lots more about our prospects.

I agree. The thinness of the squad does concern me a little although hopefully a youngster or two could step up if necessary. However our lack of European football and early exit from the League Cup means that with a bit of luck with injuries this small squad size may not be an issue. A 17 day rest between Newcastle and Wolves must also be a help in this regard.

The main reason why we cannot compete for a top 4 place is ....  because we never do. Only in my most fanciful moments do I believe that we can compete for a top 4 place but who knows? We could be in for a fantastic season.   

32 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

The main reason why we cannot compete for a top 4 place is ....  because we never do. Only in my most fanciful moments do I believe that we can compete for a top 4 place but who knows? We could be in for a fantastic season.   

We did as recently as 4 years ago! In 2016 Saints were only 3 points away from 4th at the end of the season.

5 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

We did as recently as 4 years ago! In 2016 Saints were only 3 points away from 4th at the end of the season.

That season it didn't feel like we were getting near the top 4. Didn't we win 9 out of the last 10 games to boost right up the league? (hazy memory).

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is still competing for a place if you end the season only 3 points away from it.

You know what he means, we were never once in contention that season to finish in the top four, our form from November to January cost us anything really special, bar the win over Arsenal. 

11 hours ago, skintsaint said:

That season it didn't feel like we were getting near the top 4. Didn't we win 9 out of the last 10 games to boost right up the league? (hazy memory).

We finished 3 points off the champions league places, our second half of the season form was brilliant, winning i think it was 12 out of 19 including 7 of our last 9. With 5 games to go we were 10 points behind Man City who did finishing 4th, we won our last 4 and drew one, they won one  they lost one (against us) and drew 3 which meant that although we finished 3 points below them, plus a much worse goal difference so would actually have needed 4 more points behind them we were never in with a chance at any point that season, if MLG wants to pretend that's competing for the top 4 then that's up to him, any normal person will know that wasn't the case. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

We finished 3 points off the champions league places, our second half of the season form was brilliant, winning i think it was 12 out of 19 including 7 of our last 9. With 5 games to go we were 10 points behind Man City who did finishing 4th, we won our last 4 and drew one, they won one  they lost one (against us) and drew 3 which meant that although we finished 3 points below them, plus a much worse goal difference so would actually have needed 4 more points behind them we were never in with a chance at any point that season, if MLG wants to pretend that's competing for the top 4 then that's up to him, any normal person will know that wasn't the case. 

In 83-84 were barley in contention for a UEFA cup place until we lost that Semi-final , but we went on a great run and finished 2nd. Doesn't matter how you get there, it is where you end up that matters most.

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Pretty sure we were 4th at Christmas so we were certainly in contention for a while.

I think that’s the 2014/15 season you are thinking about

If I remember correctly we weren’t doing so well nearer Christmas in 2015/16 and there was even talks of Koeman getting sacked! Until we then went on that amazing run to the end.

6 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I think that’s the 2014/15 season you are thinking about

If I remember correctly we weren’t doing so well nearer Christmas in 2015/16 and there was even talks of Koeman getting sacked! Until we then went on that amazing run to the end.

Yes I think you're right, getting my Koeman seasons mixed up.

1 hour ago, redkeith said:

In 83-84 were barley in contention for a UEFA cup place until we lost that Semi-final , but we went on a great run and finished 2nd. Doesn't matter how you get there, it is where you end up that matters most.

If people want to pretend competing = being in with virtually zero chance then crack on. 

4 hours ago, Appy said:

You know what he means, we were never once in contention that season to finish in the top four, our form from November to January cost us anything really special, bar the win over Arsenal. 

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If people want to pretend competing = being in with virtually zero chance then crack on. 

Using that 'logic' being 3 points above the relegation zone at the end of the season is not being in a relegation battle.

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Using that 'logic' being 3 points above the relegation zone at the end of the season is not being in a relegation battle.

Correct.  Club could be safe on 40 points after 25 odd games and lose the rest.  Wouldn't say they were in a relegation battle. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Correct if you’ve been midtable all season lose or your last 10 and games still finish 3, effectively 4 points due to goal difference above the relegation zone you weren’t really ever in a relegation battle. 

Edited by Turkish

18 hours ago, skintsaint said:

We had a dreadful run of form through November and Dec if i remember rightly, there was a post on here after we lost to Burnley (I think?) with people worried we were going to get relegated - we were being dragged down the table.

2nd half we turned it on though and Mane and co found their mojo, and because Man Utd, Liverpool etc had 'poor' years we managed to Gatecrash that top 6 a little easier than usual. It was the year Leicester won the league as well, so very strange all in all.

Still early days but this season feels like it has similarities to 2016, "big" clubs struggling to adapt to no crowds and congested fixture lists are going to drop more points than usual, makes each game hard to predict but if we can benefit from that and stay in the mix will make it exciting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

When St.Mary's re-opens again, I think this video needs to be turned into an explanatory leaflet and handed out to all our fans upon entering the stadium. Otherwise, 90% of home fans won't get why we're re-cycling the ball to our back 4 when in the opponents half, upon which the moaning and groaning will start.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

When St.Mary's re-opens again, I think this video needs to be turned into an explanatory leaflet and handed out to all our fans upon entering the stadium. Otherwise, 90% of home fans won't get why we're re-cycling the ball to our back 4 when in the opponents half, upon which the moaning and groaning will start.

DONT MESS ABOUT WITH IT GET IT FOOOOOOORWAAAAAAAAARD!!!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, trousers said:

It was a great example of these tactics against Newcastle but as good as we were on the ball, we have seen our  defence lose possession so many times before, there is ways going to an air of nervousness. I think that is different from moaning and groaning. The ore we play and more importantly win like this, the more patient and understanding fans will become. We are used to fucking up and losing, it’s going to take a long time to get over that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

we have seen our  defence lose possession so many times before,

The graphics on that link show if we do get dispossessed our players are spread out and well out of position. I guess watching Saints for me will always leave me with no fingernails...

• Like 1

This really shows the importance of Vestergaard to how we play. A ball playing centerback is essential given that McCarthy has such poor distribution. Hoping Salisu comes good and takes Bednarek's role as he has a good left foot apparently.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:22, LeBizzier69 said:

If he's from there then fine, if not - tell him to get bent. I'll never take stick from someone who doesn't originate from at least within 20 miles or so of the team they support, especially if it's one of that lot. I dont care how many great grandparents grew up there etc etc

That should reduce their fan base by about 75%. 😄 Glory hunters at the end of the day, except there isn't much glory at the moment and long may that continue!

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

I saw online that Ralph was one of the lowest paid managers in the league, 20k a week. I found this unlikely but if it is the case he will be easy to take from us.

Surely this cant be correct with the average players earning more than him

Can't imagine that's accurate. Maybe before the contract extension in April? I'm sure he would've had a hefty pay rise. 

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I saw online that Ralph was one of the lowest paid managers in the league, 20k a week. I found this unlikely but if it is the case he will be easy to take from us.

Surely this cant be correct with the average players earning more than him

Hasenhuttl won't be on anything remotely like £20k per week. He'll be on far more than that. The Telegraph claimed Saints in 2016 offered Koemam over £80k per week to stay, Everton just offered more.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Can't imagine that's accurate. Maybe before the contract extension in April? I'm sure he would've had a hefty pay rise. 

It was on a feed I cant recall which one, but it was about Pep's wages and how the other managers were in comparison. There again a similar thing was about clubs owners and said Gao was worth 3.6bn, so must be nonsense

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl