Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

19 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

No, one freakish result does not decide the fate of a manager. End of lock the thread

Not that i want Ralph to resign, nor do i think he will but this is the 2nd 9-0 defeat.

He;s been delt a rough hand and made a lot harder with the amount of injurys .

Edited by IFHP

6 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Bad timing.  He hasn't been backed where there was an opportunity.  We are a loose cannon as a club.  We could have been European contenders.  If Ralph goes I won't blame him one bit.  

This, a 1000 times over.    Get off Ralph's back; what was he supposed to do differently in the circumstances?    These sort of results bring you back to the decisions made on ownership, recruitment, list management and poor choices on contract extensions etc.     Ralph needs to be backed.   But if he wants to walk you could hardly be surprised.

• Like 1

There are a lot of questions that need answering from a lot people.

The blame it all on Gao / board doesn’t sit well with me (without these answers)

As a team under Ralph we have given away an absurd amount of points from winning positions, a lot of them we can all see the game changing before any subs / changes are made, so Ralph has to take some blame here. I personally think our season started to deflate at wolves when we were leading and could see wolves getting more dangerous possession but nothing was changed until the equaliser. 

We also need to know how the whole Valery / Vokins leaving came about, was it because the board said we needed the money or was it because Ralph was happy to let them go? If he was happy, why was he happy?

Like it or not part of managing the game is managing the officials and by being silent about the Villa officiating has guaranteed we will be on the bad end of tight calls as officials will see this as the easy and safe call for them.

Ralph is clearly a great coach and working with the players pregame but I’m not convinced his in game stuff is at the same level, so whilst he is the best we can get (probably) we need to also ensure he isn’t given a free ride from responsibility as that can breed a dangerous attitude

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, simo said:

Genuine question , not saying he's been awful for us but how many top flight managers have two 9 nil defeats on their record !? He's been seriously let down by the higher management at Saints and if I was him I'd walk it's embarrassing. 

This thread is embarrassing! LOCK

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

This is the manager who, two weeks ago, people were wetting their knickers he might get poached by Chelsea to replace Lampard. 

I know. But it's a results business and Ralph's strategy looks to have blown up again.

Just now, gordonToo said:

I know. But it's a results business and Ralph's strategy looks to have blown up again.

What do you expect from this squad?

Granted, losing 9-0 is shit, unacceptable and unprofessional at any level, but we're sat on 29 points. Happily comfortable in mid-table. He has got us there by improving players we thought were deadwood.

If it's a results business I'd say he's got a bloody good result out of this squad over a period of time.

• Like 2

Fear for the sanity of anybody that'd genuinely want him gone.

He's wrung every last drop out of what he's been given. Goodness only knows where we'd be without him.

Apart from anything else I can't see there's anybody available that'd be able to do more with the hellish wage structure we're still having to clear down.

24 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Of course not. It's the board that should fuck off! 

Agree that no way should Ralph go but I don't blame the board either - it is pretty clear that they are completely constrained by the financial circumstances around both the ownership and covid. It is a massive concern in itself and the last thing this club needs is more board upheavel. FWIW the board seem like decent people trying to do their best in very difficult circumstances. I feel as sorry for them as I do for Ralph.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What do you expect from this squad?

Granted, losing 9-0 is shit, unacceptable and unprofessional at any level, but we're sat on 29 points. Happily comfortable in mid-table. He has got us there by improving players we thought were deadwood.

If it's a results business I'd say he's got a bloody good result out of this squad over a period of time.

Fair point and the 29 points may save him but something isn't right here.

The board need to fucking go, not Ralph.

unfortunately. it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked. The club is a mess and if the best our board can help him with is a fucking reserve from Liverpool rather than some serious squad investment, just goes to a show what an utter shit show our finances are and have been managed in recent years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B Rabbit said:

The board need to fucking go, not Ralph.

unfortunately. it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked. The club is a mess and if the best our board can help him with is a fucking reserve from Liverpool rather than some serious squad investment, just goes to a show what an utter shit show our finances are and have been managed in recent years. 

I actually think our board is okay, but they’re doing it with one hand behind their back, trying to make up for all the fuck ups during End of the Reed, Kruger, Wilson regime.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I actually think our board is okay, but they’re doing it with one hand behind their back, trying to make up for all the fuck ups during End of the Reed, Kruger, Wilson regime.

I agree. All this seems to have stemmed from not getting a better reserve fullback yesterday (who wouldn't have been eligible tonight and would have made zero difference anyway).

I still remember the deadline day when we loaned out Rasiak and Skacel in the last hour and nearly got relegated. Now that was a f**king s**tshow.

• Like 2

There is a lot Ralph cant control, like a player getting sent off after 2 minutes, and Mike Dean being an utter tool. But a team should know what to do in a bad situation to stop it getting out of hand. Most teams do, it's why 9-0's are so rare. Once is embarrassing twice is negligent. 

• Like 3

Nippers 10, seen two 9-0 defeats, he made me stay til Leicester got their 7th, TV tonight. 

We're used to getting beat, of course we are but tonight and villa has me close to just binning it off thanks to VAR.  Surely these will be held up as examples as to how its going wrong. 

Personally I'm just grateful I was around for tiss. You know, the old days... 

No doubting this side, when fit, are far ahead of the mid 90s side but it got me thinking. 

Tiss in a shit team?

Or

Ings (while we've got him) in a decent 11 aiming for mid table. 

If we're not going to go for it properly, and I mean properly, I'd take Simon charlton, Alan nielson, Richard dryden etc giving it to tiss all day long. It was electric. 

I'm 38 and perhaps the VAR detachment has got me after the last 2 games but I wish me nipper could see tiss in his pomp. 

We'll get there

• Like 1

If Vest, Romeu, Diallo, Walcott, and  Walker-Peters were all available tonight there wouldn’t have been a 9-0, and Ralph resigning wouldn’t even be a question.

It’s all very well blaming the board for not spending the cash to get people in but once we’ve got a fully fit squad we’d end up with a big subs bench full of players not getting a game and costing us a fortune in wages, a return to the Les Reed days. 

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 3

I can't align Ralph's desire for a small squad with a style of play almost guaranteed to see injured and/or knackered players.

The inability to shut up shop when having a bad day is also a concern. Everyone needs a Plan B, as Mike Tyson almost said.

Ralph is clearly a fantastic, passionate but perhaps fair-weather manager. The Germanic reputation for inflexibility (I know he is Austrian) may be to blame here - he is not the only manager in the top leagues to suffer this trait.

• Like 1

Would not want him to resign at all. We have been top of the league and playing the best football for years and he has got the best from players who are generally not top quality. Last night was a disaster due to injuries, inexperienced players and top quality opposition. MIke Deans performance was also bad but that did not cost us the game.

• Like 1

No and I think this thread is silly.

All these people going 'teams shouldn't capitulate like this etc etc.', are missing one thing.

Our players week in week out train and play to do high intensity pressing game, pushing their opponents back and working on very specific actions, 'automations' or something I think Ralph calls it, so all this play is basically second nature to them, this is how they know how to play and what they train for all the time. 

How easy do you expect the team to just switch that off and suddenly play a narrow ow block? Not very easy.

We have to accept for the style of play we have and for the great and exciting games to watch, when things go wrong, we get injuries and some bad luck there is chance for a spanking in there, much like Leeds as well.  

Our players attitude and mentality is to constantly play on the front foot and its difficult to suddenly switch that up, and you have to remember we don't have a world class squad full of experienced players who know what to do in every situation in football. We have a relatively young squad lacking a lot of first teamers out there, I would reckon Vestergaard and Romeu asides being very important players are big leaders and communicators, which means we didn't have that on the pitch.

Let's be honest Ralph has the vast majority of the time got this squad to overperform, the last few weeks largely can be put down to bad luck with injuries and poor decisions IMO, even if what happened tonight (which it wouldn't without the injuries and poor decisions), more of the squad available and some less terrible decisions and we'd probably be still amongst the top 5 or 6, we should have had a point or more against Villa, and I reckon with less injuries some of those draws would be wins and suddenly we have 4-6 more points. 

Let's also put this into perspective, we just lost 9-0, we have massive amounts of injuries, and yet we are still only 6 points from 5th. 

And we do it with a very fun to watch style of play, that sometimes causes us to fuck up, but I'd honestly much rather us lose 9-0 once a season than be like a Newcastle or a Burnley and be less exciting than watching paint dry. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl