Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Utter garbage and unfortunately I think Ralph's time is up - all the indicators are he's lost the dressing room. Think it's time for Eddie to come in and work some magic before the season is a complete disaster. Then complete the overhaul of a dysfunctional squad starting with Redmond, Bertrand, Djenepo, McCarthy and Adam's.

What indicators? the team just collapse, is that his fault?.................... and Eddie Howe........ hilarious

Just now, Chapel End said:

This but i feel Romeu is the best player at moment

He's decent, nothing special. Not an amazing player.

When we were pushing under Koeman he was a squad player at best, if we want to get to those levels he is probably a squad player. I like Romeu, he has done a decent job for us, but he's not a world beater. Needs better players playing well around him.

Just now, adrian lord said:

A lot of what Ralph brings is excellent but it seems there’s a gaping hole in his skill set that he cannot learn to fill. 

I want him to stay and be successful but starting to wonder. 

Then who could we attract that would be an improvement, given our severely limited resources?

That gaping hole being?

Just now, Jonnyboy said:

Can anyone pinpoint for me, because I'm struggling, why in 2020 we averaged European (Champs League?) form but in 2021 its bottom of the league form so far? 

It was a very strange/truncated situation. 

Funnily enough, the season ended in 2020 (March) after a 1-0 loss at home to Newcastle, we were shocking. We needed that break.

We seemed to adapt to 'post lockdown' much better than other teams. We had some favourable fixtures against Norwich, Sheff U etc to rack up some points. But it was a strange situation without fans and typically, this bunch (who shrink during pressure) came to the fore when there was no pressure from the stands.

The effect of that has wained now and everyone has got used to the circumstances/no fans.

Don't get me wrong, we're not going to continue as we are at the moment for ever, but where we are is a very, very true reflection of this squad - 12th - 16th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Shame Ralph can't bring in coaches of his choice, rather than being saddled with Watson & Co. It doesn't seem a dynamic backroom.

It is strange he didn't bring a backroom team. 

Any ITK tell us why he didn't?

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

I can't believe Ralph is being questioned on here, he's done a great job with the tools he has been given so far. We need more financial backing, thats completely obvious.

True but sadly not going to happen between now and the end of the season is it ?

I have to eat my words. I said Leeds were shocking in the first half and we were surely going to win. I should have seen our capitulation coming. We're so mentally weak and Ralph keeps picking the wrong teams.

I've never known a team like ours. We looked like genuine contenders for 7th in the new year. Since then we've had to endure a 9-0 repeat and the worst form in our history. I've gone from embarrassed of this team to proud and back to embarrassed in the space of 14 months.

The highs have not been worth the lows during Ralph's tenure for me. I'm willing to support him because he saved us from relegation and I like his passion. When we're good we're excellent to watch but he needs to learn how to manage games. Being far and away the team that dropped the most points during games for two seasons running now is highlighting a real weakness in his strategy.

Unless these heavy defeats and score reversals stop, surely we won't just continue to be content? The players at our disposal are capable of at least doing that.

Edited by Disco Stu

Ralph isn't perfect but I'm terrified at the thought of who would even be attracted to this job if someone made a bad decision and sacked him.  It's the same reason I'm terrified of selling anyone.  Until the club is sold and receives some leadership and investment we're treading water.  I'd rather tread water with Ralph than any other viable alternative right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Ralph isn't perfect but I'm terrified at the thought of who would even be attracted to this job if someone made a bad decision and sacked him.  It's the same reason I'm terrified of selling anyone.  Until the club is sold and receives some leadership and investment we're treading water.  I'd rather tread water with Ralph than any other viable alternative right now.

Ditto

• Like 3

The club has mortgaged the stadium, training facilities and other land holdings, we have to sell WANTED players just to make the vig.  The club is in financial trouble, we have got Championship/L1 level playing staff, Ralf's gig is to get them to performing at a premiership level long enough to fool someone into buying them.

We'll not be paying off managerial contracts, thats for sure.  Ralf will be here for some time yet, partly as nobody will want the job.

• Like 1

Ive been fully supportive of Ralph, but there comes a time when blaming Gao, Les Reed, Dave Watson, injuries, VAR, Ian Branfoot or whoever else for our current problems wears thin. The blame rests with Ralph right now. He took this team to the top league and the praise deservedly flowed in. However, hes now taken this same team on a run of 1 point from 24 and must equally face the criticism. Its simply not good enough. In a matter of weeks we could be out of FA Cup and within touching distance of the relegation zone - who would have thought that at Xmas

Ings isn’t helping either, that stupid foul threw away 2 valuable points on Saturday when Ralph got the tactics right. Would be good if he could at least make some effort in another 3-4 games to help the club stay up if his agent gives him permission to do so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

You’ve been a stupid knee-jerking cunt for years, only surface when things not going so well. Do one you prick.

He does post some very emotionally driven stuff to be honest. But we're all emotional because we all share a common interest/love for the same thing, so cut him some slack.

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Pony, they’ll be literally be 100’s of decent applicants if he goes. 

Who?  This is the current state of the club:

1. No investment from the owner as he isn't allowed to

2. No prospect of new ownership as owner is determined to make his money back in a COVID market

3. No money for new players (what was it, down to the 7th right-back on our list to borrow on Transfer Deadline day before we jacked it in?)

4. Best player looking to move to sit on the bench of a CL club

5. Playing in a league where if you aren't spending £30-40m+ net a season you are probably going backwards because most other clubs have the means to do this one way or another.

It is a thankless task to manage this football club and enhance your reputation.  Not to mention its hard to succeed at anything by any metric other than 'we survived'.

It's a tough one.  Ralph has managed to get this side playing well beyond their means at times. On the flip side he doesn't seem to have any alternative to the 4222 playing a high press. That system has limitations and teams have worked out how to deal with it.  Ralph is trying his best but I don't believe he has enough quality players to pick from. However, he must work on some alternative ways of playing . He got suckered today. Leeds realised how slow our two full backs are and played with width and pressurised them. Once they did that we were done and they cut through us like a hot knife through soft butter. Hate to say it but we are in big trouble unless Ralph can steady the ship. Thought he'd done that against Chelsea but then we have to put up with this shit show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Who?  This is the current state of the club:

1. No investment from the owner as he isn't allowed to

2. No prospect of new ownership as owner is determined to make his money back in a COVID market

3. No money for new players (what was it, down to the 7th right-back on our list to borrow on Transfer Deadline day before we jacked it in?)

4. Best player looking to move to sit on the bench of a CL club

5. Playing in a league where if you aren't spending £30-40m+ net a season you are probably going backwards because most other clubs have the means to do this one way or another.

It is a thankless task to manage this football club and enhance your reputation.  Not to mention its hard to succeed at anything by any metric other than 'we survived'.

Hes right someone would take the job but it will be some dinosoar like Hughes or Pearson, Ralph is by far the best we can get but gets little support from the owner

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't know what he's supposed to do. He's been lumbered with a team full of losers that he's tried to polish as much as he can.

The polish has come off and the shit is shining through again. What can he do? He claimed as much he'd have brought in players if he could, but we have no money.

He needed backing. When he goes (He'll walk IMO) he will walk into a club, get some backing and you'll see what he's all about when a club affords him some flexibility to mould a squad in his ideas. This is a mish mash of a squad that he is TRYING to evolve into his style.

He did miracles to make this rabble play as well as they have done. They are a shit team, shit bunch of players. If I was Ralph, I'd cut my losses and walk away from the losers.

You always talk sense on here so I read your posts with interest (sometimes hoping you will deliver an answer to what is becoming a bit of a nightmare). I think however, with respect, you are being a tad kind to Ralph. Yes the players let him down but a good manager makes sure the players they pick don't let him down through clever management. Ralph is good at basics, getting the Board and the fans onside (that's clever) and while things go smoothly he looks the dog's bollocks, but when things go off piste he can't cope.

He tries to get clever (square pegs etc) and (leaving our 2 proven goalscorers benched). Sooner or later he must take responsibility for overseeing our two worst results and worst run in league form in over 130 years. Ted Bates had no money when he took over (he had to beg the transfer fee for his first signing from the supporters club), but he managed to avoid those 3 horrendous records that Ralph has managed to conjure up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You always talk sense on here so I read your posts with interest (sometimes hoping you will deliver an answer to what is becoming a bit of a nightmare). I think however, with respect, you are being a tad kind to Ralph. Yes the players let him down but a good manager makes sure the players they pick don't let him down through clever management. Ralph is good at basics, getting the Board and the fans onside (that's clever) and while things go smoothly he looks the dog's bollocks, but when things go off piste he can't cope.

He tries to get clever (square pegs etc) and (leaving our 2 proven goalscorers benched). Sooner or later he must take responsibility for overseeing our two worst results and worst run in league form in over 130 years. Ted Bates had no money when he took over (he had to beg the transfer fee for his first signing from the supporters club), but he managed to avoid those 3 horrendous records that Ralph has managed to conjure up.

Fair analysis FF

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Except had Djenepo or Ings got injured after starting, we would have all said that he doesn t know how to rest or rotate players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fully absorbing him of blame. Everyone is to blame for the situation we are in at the moment, our run of form is disgusting.

I don't think I'm being kind purposely, I guess I just feel for him a little bit. He's been dealt a tough hand with the squad he has. I don't know what the thinking was on January the 31st with Valery going out and no full back coming in. If he went for Minamino as opposed to full back cover then he should take the blame for that. However, I do feel the lack of finances played a big, big part in that situation. It wouldn't have surprised me if we had to let Valery go before we could even look for a full back.

But he has even said he'd have brought in more players if we could, but 'we have no money' - he looked noticeably frustrated by that. I still stand by my view that he has polished a turd in the main and with this make up of players we will never be too far away from these sorts of scenarios.

I'd still rather tread this line with Ralph than anyone else though, as he's proven what he can get from this group.

Under Hughes, Pellergino etc we never stood a chance.

Edited by S-Clarke

I know it would never happen as it’s not the done thing but sometimes thinking outside the box can work

Ralph needs some time off to refresh, he clearly doesn’t know how to get us out of this and the players look like they don’t believe in it at the moment either.

Ralph needs to take a break for a month or so, just like when a player is playing badly they get sent away from the first team (maybe he could keep coaching us for the FA cup and have that as his sole focus)

Surely there is someone that wouldnt mind a short term role to get their name back in the system and there is clearly no way they could have us playing any worse than we have been for a sustained period.

Long term I can’t see us getting someone better than Ralph, but short term I can’t see anyone doing worse than Ralph so let’s take a chance, do something different and take a chance

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

I know it would never happen as it’s not the done thing but sometimes thinking outside the box can work

Ralph needs some time off to refresh, he clearly doesn’t know how to get us out of this and the players look like they don’t believe in it at the moment either.

Ralph needs to take a break for a month or so, just like when a player is playing badly they get sent away from the first team (maybe he could keep coaching us for the FA cup and have that as his sole focus)

Surely there is someone that wouldnt mind a short term role to get their name back in the system and there is clearly no way they could have us playing any worse than we have been for a sustained period.

Long term I can’t see us getting someone better than Ralph, but short term I can’t see anyone doing worse than Ralph so let’s take a chance, do something different and take a chance

Would be the first PL Football Manager to be furloughed ! Although Ralph of late does seem like he likes a bit of trail blazing. 

I agree with Badger and others, who else?  It’s a case of our manager not receiving the correct backing.  Anyone who takes the job on won’t receive any further backing so a pointless sacking.  The club would also have to pay Ralph off, money that could be used elsewhere rather than “dead money”.  

Its a worrying situation though.

I haven't read the latest posts on this thread but I do think that RH should be left to see this season out and this will tell is how good he is when he has a full squad fit. There is so much contributing to this bad run but as bad as this is the start of the season was excellent. What matters is what it looks like after 38 games (and hopefully the FA Cup final😉).

What concerns me right now is whether he has the mental energy. It's clearly been  very tough time emotionally and I get the impression the bloke is knackered. 

Mental overload leads to poorer decisions. 

I also wonder whether he may offer his resignation. 

Forget the games against Everton and City, anything from then is a bonus, our season rest on the games before Leicester. Win 3 of those and the QF and season is very easy to finish.

Highest paid manager in our history.

Heaviest home defeat ever. Heaviest away defeat ever. Longest sequence of defeats ever. One dimensional robotic football-on-rails that falls to pieces catastrophically at the first sign of adversity - while the manager does nothing on the sidelines to adapt to any and all unexpected developments other than look vaguely constipated. 

The players have been out on their feet since December. And yet the manager won't or can't change his inflexible approach to reflect that. We're still trying to press like madmen. We're still obsessed only with working against the ball. But the players just can't cope with the physical demands anymore. It's sad to see us run out of steam earlier and earlier in games. Imagine the hidings we're going to get when we can't even rouse ourselves for at least the first 45 minutes. It's heading that way.

One win in thirteen games, and only seven goals scored - the manager's one, solitary idea is a busted flush and he looks almost as clueless as Pellegrino. Or Pellegrini. Whichever one it was.

And the club have given him free rein to implement his shallow, unsustainable "philosophy" across all the age groups. So that's something to look forward to for future generations of League One subs...

The most overrated manager we've ever had. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Heaviest home defeat ever. Heaviest away defeat ever. Longest sequence of defeats ever. One dimensional robotic football-on-rails that falls to pieces catastrophically at the first sign of adversity - while the manager does nothing on the sidelines to adapt to any and all unexpected developments other than look vaguely constipated. 

The players have been out on their feet since December. And yet the manager won't or can't change his inflexible approach to reflect that. We're still trying to press like madmen. We're still obsessed only with working against the ball. But the players just can't cope with the physical demands anymore. It's sad to see us run out of steam earlier and earlier in games. Imagine the hidings we're going to get when we can't even rouse ourselves for at least the first 45 minutes. It's heading that way.

One win in thirteen games, and only seven goals scored - the manager's one, solitary idea is a busted flush and he looks almost as clueless as Pellegrino. Or Pellegrini. Whichever one it was.

And the club have given him free rein to implement his shallow, unsustainable "philosophy" across all the age groups. So that's something to look forward to for future generations of League One subs...

Where has it come from that he's our highest paid manager?

16 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Shallow unsustainable phylosophy? You ungrateful tool

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Nah....it's the playing group; the playing group aren't good enough, even when injuries have cut a swathe.     Ralph has over performed at times.    The present  free fall is principally down to the lack of quality and depth in the squad.   Penny pinching will only get you so far.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. From what I've seen, and given how little i know, I'd give RH an A plus for effort and passion. It's not his fault that people are playing badly. The boys generally seem to have lost the will to win (or even compete). That's the problem.

7 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Shallow unsustainable phylosophy? You ungrateful tool

I'm not sure where the lack of gratitude from the poster is. There's an honesty though which is possibly correct.

The theory to our tactics is fairly "shallow" . It's press, win it, give it simple, break, pass back if no options. Repeat. We've simplified the on field roles to FB, CB, 6, 10, CF. We've adopted that across the club. It's not a deep and complex plan. 

It's starting to look "unsustainable". We've had some horrendous results. It's no exaggeration that Leeds could and should have had 5+ second half goals, and that's with 11 men in the pitch. No var issues. No dodgy decisions. Just us being undone. That's no improvement on a 9 nil with 9 men on the pitch, indeed it's arguably more inept. 

At least one factor in our decline is that system. Sure, we have a small squad, but the job of the manager is to tailor his system / tactics to his players. Ralph hasn't. He just plays on with his pressing game, in his favoured/only style, regardless of his players. That's resulted in what we're seeing on the pitch. 

If you think what's happening is sustainable we'll have to agree to differ because it looks pretty unsustainable to me. 

• Like 6

If we stay up we are just very lucky we had such a good start as with the squad we have, the intensity of our play, and the frequency of the games this COVID year then we were always going to have injuries and therefore always going to have problems. Is it a coincidence that Liverpool have had similar issues?

Do I want Ralph gone? No. I like watching us play when we’ve got a full strength side. Romeu going yesterday changed things. Next season, with the longer gap between games, we’ll hopefully have less injuries.

However, over the summer he needs to come up with a Plan B for if injuries occur and when teams suss us out in the second half.

Edited by Dangerspoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Block 5 said:

Just imagine if Puel or Hughes or Pellegrino or Wotte/Poortvliet had presided over our current run... 

Mole Country Stores would be all out of pitch forks. 

#justsaying 

The main difference between Wotte/Port/Pellegrino/Hughes is that we didn't even have good times under those, it was all bad. They'd never shown anything. It was all rubbish. There was no philosophy, nothing.

I think most fans appreciate that Ralph managed to get this squad overachieving for large parts of this season and last season, he's shown he is steadfast on a philosophy which I believe is the right one - might not look like it now, but it's much more suited to this league than Puel's was. That's why I'm not calling for his head, he's shown that he has a plan and with a better array of players that plan would be working much better. There is a fine line between winning and losing. Not bringing in a full back and then losing your first choice full back for two spells is kinda illustrative of that line, but also the clubs incredibly complacent stupidity.

I just hope we can plug those gaps in the squad during the summer.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure where the lack of gratitude from the poster is. There's an honesty though which is possibly correct.

The theory to our tactics is fairly "shallow" . It's press, win it, give it simple, break, pass back if no options. Repeat. We've simplified the on field roles to FB, CB, 6, 10, CF. We've adopted that across the club. It's not a deep and complex plan. 

It's starting to look "unsustainable". We've had some horrendous results. It's no exaggeration that Leeds could and should have had 5+ second half goals, and that's with 11 men in the pitch. No var issues. No dodgy decisions. Just us being undone. That's no improvement on a 9 nil with 9 men on the pitch, indeed it's arguably more inept. 

At least one factor in our decline is that system. Sure, we have a small squad, but the job of the manager is to tailor his system / tactics to his players. Ralph hasn't. He just plays on with his pressing game, in his favoured/only style, regardless of his players. That's resulted in what we're seeing on the pitch. 

If you think what's happening is sustainable we'll have to agree to differ because it looks pretty unsustainable to me. 

Absolutely this, first sign of madness is doing the same thing again and again when it's not working.

We have no right back, I think Valery would have been good as a wing back, so why keep trying to play with one. Newcastle down to nine, keep paying it about in front of them.

Man needs to learn to adapt good plans to our and the games situation.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl