Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

At this point you're not worth talking to then.

Go on then. Back it up with evidence please sir. A massively subjective statement. 

Win % and league position would suggest he’s very average. 

I’m torn with Ralph. I can’t decide if the squad is terrible and he’s simply doing the best we can or if the squad could and should be doing better. 

I like Ralph and would be genuinely sad to see him go, but regular performances like today and the 2 x 9-0s make me feel maybe he’s not all that.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

He's got until the end of the season for me now. If we don't see a significant improvement then I think we have to make a change or I really fear for us next season.

As an aside, I don't get the love in with Thomas Frank. They are bottling promotion again, just like last season.

• Like 1

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Yawn same old same old it’s getting very tiresome tbh. I think we all know your thoughts SKD. Please tell us how you would improve things? Who would you bring in to replace Ralph?

It’s not my job to improve things. I don’t get paid millions and spend days watching these play. However, it’s pretty evident that his preferred formation / style isn’t working at the moment. 

Id try going 433 (moving Armstrong into the middle) and sit deeper and press less intensely to make us a little more solid defensively and maybe play on the counter attack. Not pretty, but if it grinds out results to turn form, then it’s worth trying. 

Id certainly be making changes before the 80th minute or whenever it was today. 

Who would I bring in to replace Ralph? Again, I’m not paid to make that decision. I really like Potter at Brighton (he’ll be England manager one day). I think if they had a striker like ings, they’d be top 10 this season. Frank a Brentford is also good, then there are a host of decent European managers who are unemployed. I’m not a huge fan of Howe, but I think as things stand, he’d do a better job than Ralph (I mean it’s impossible not to). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Managers get it wrong from time to time, I can accept that, but Ralph gets it wrong more often than not.

Even more worrying is the fact that he simply refuses to change anything when he does get it wrong.

Bertrand, KWP, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Diallo, JWP, Ings, Armstrong and Walcott will all start when fit and they know it. Not saying all are bad, but there is zero competition for their places.

Apart from Djenepo, Adams and Redmond, Ralph doesn't let anyone else have a game, and it's showing.

I feel for Salisu and Tella who have looked ok when given a chance, even Jankewitz to be fair.

11 defeats in 14 games, likely to get beat on Sunday. Time for a fresh start in the summer 

• Like 1

Long way to go to beat Dave Jones second season total of 41 points.

That's the season we stayed up on the last day. 

Adkins/Poch delivered 41 points also.

Obviously Dave's first season (48 points) feels a bit of a stretch now, as does Puel's (46).

Still, at least he's entertaining us, or something.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

How many months pass the “knee jerk” test? 

Perhaps you can let us know when it’s acceptable to question the managers position? 

Not our job.  Happy to rely on those at the club who know what's going on both on and off the pitch.  We can only comment on what we see on the pitch.  Collectively poor today.  Including Ralph who admitted he was too scared of them getting behind us at the back.  Better second half but damage was done.  We know this team can beat anyone on their day and lose to anyone on another day.  That's my club. Always has been. 

1 minute ago, Mowgli said:

Not our job.  Happy to rely on those at the club who know what's going on both on and off the pitch.  We can only comment on what we see on the pitch.  Collectively poor today.  Including Ralph who admitted he was too scared of them getting behind us at the back.  Better second half but damage was done.  We know this team can beat anyone on their day and lose to anyone on another day.  That's my club. Always has been. 

Was it? We had more of the ball because West Brom sat back. We didn’t look like scoring and only really had any threat when djenepo came on with about 5 minutes left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mowgli said:

I agree it's always been this way. For me it's the manner of the defeats that aren't acceptable. Each defeat seems to throw up any even worse performance

• Like 2

This club was here before Ralph and it'll be here after him aswell, my only hope is that we get there first and sack him before he walks of his own accord because we'll look like fucking mugs if that happens after sticking with him, when nearly all other clubs in the league wouldn't have done.

I kind of feel like he might walk himself after Leicester if we get smashed and all the PR spin and bollocks from his side will follow about how he couldn't do what he wanted to do and all that bluster.

Whatever happens, if we get tonked in the semi-final, Semmens needs to get there first and boot him, I'm talking like, immediately.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it's more that the concern is that a better manager would have tried something to arrest the alarming form we've been in for months now. We will almost certainly not be going down this year but I wouldn't like to say with any certainty that we won't next year. 

Yeah I do get that but there's no guarantee that the next manager will be better. Personally over the last two years we have shown enough form to suggest that he can keep us up- although often teams which finish really bad do start really bad the next year so I can see the risk.

Hey and if the worst happens and we get another 9-0 defeat, at least no one will ever beat that record for the same manager!

Basically for me the cup semi is his chance to redeem himself after a very poor league campaign, with yet another 9 nuffin defeat. Lose this weekend and limp over the line I feel the squad/manager needs freshening up. Someone like Marco Rose would do, same kinda principles, but a left field choice would be Marcelo Gallardo with maybe some inside knowledge of that region. 

Eddie Howe ....the one who failed at Burnley spent a fortune at Bournemouth on rubbish?

The Eddie Howe who is such a great coach whose defence was a shambles he couldn’t change tactics and stop them getting relegated I can see why you clowns want him.

Ralph is useless in long periods and loses the plot tactically too often can’t change it but you think Howe is answer give me strength!!

• Like 1

I don't often post now, due to the forum idiots. That said, I have always given RH my support, but his credit has just run out. That was the most gutless display I have seen in years, and the buck stops with the manager, he picked that team, and then stuck with it until 3-0 down. Sorry Ralph, that was pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only 3 teams have scored more 1st half goals than us this season, ManC, WHam and Spurs. Only 4 teams have scored less 2nd half goals than us, the 3 relegation teams and Burnley.

I've long suspected it's a fitness issue. Our press is great and effective but it can't last and we fall off. Maybe if the plan B was to switch from full field defending to stacking the box we'd see out games better. Have Ralph coach 1st half's and Fat Sam take over the 2nd.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Howe is off to Celtic anyway if he has any sense. Grab a haul of silverware and boost the profile before coming back down south and getting a job at Spurs or something after a few years.

Brendan Rodgers went to Leicester, which was the most high profile recent post-old firm role. Strachan and Lennon went to the Championship. No Rangers managers have been anywhere as all shit.

Doesn't really matter how well Howe does, he'd come back to England to take a job, at best, at a club like us/Palace/etc.

He'll come back to England as the guy who relegated Bournemouth.

27 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Brendan Rodgers went to Leicester, which was the most high profile recent post-old firm role. Strachan and Lennon went to the Championship. No Rangers managers have been anywhere as all shit.

Doesn't really matter how well Howe does, he'd come back to England to take a job, at best, at a club like us/Palace/etc.

He'll come back to England as the guy who relegated Bournemouth.

True enough, but I think Spurs are going to drop to a 7th-10th place team soon enough once Kane goes this Summer if not money reinvested well. Anyway........going off topic :)

17 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Ralphs credit ran out last night. Sick of watching the team play like that. Relegation battle clearly looming next season. We just need a manager that can play progressive football and keep us safely mid table. Maybe thats an impossible ask with the owners we have.

This RH has been on borrowed goodwill for some time, stability is good if it works but this clearly isn't working. Yes we've had a few good performances under him but the bad ones now outweigh the good.  Something about his method is simply no longer working and we are very easy for other times to do their homework on we play one dimensional football with nothing else & when it's not going well we completely implode.  People say well at least it's not Pellegrino but even he didn't have as many heavy defeats on his CV as bad as we were.  Claude puel is starting to look like he was a decent option 

in the words of Sheryl "I think a change would do us good," 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Ralphs credit ran out last night. Sick of watching the team play like that. Relegation battle clearly looming next season. We just need a manager that can play progressive football and keep us safely mid table. Maybe thats an impossible ask with the owners we have.

I am sort of with you but WBA were pretty good and had lots to play for and we have everything to play for next Sunday lets see what happens in our remaining league games before we decide on Ralph's future

Lets face it we cannot be that bad against Leicester we are so inconsistent the only consistency about us is our inconsistency

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Dunno, this is pretty consistant...

image.png.be04f1a4c591c15f24f4fc4c9f27f2d3.png

We have won cup matches we played well in the first half of some games and the second half of others my point is that we are not crap all the time

Although I do think the manager is because he never seems to be able to react and changed the outcome of games and just hopes for the best

2 hours ago, John B said:

I am sort of with you but WBA were pretty good and had lots to play for and we have everything to play for next Sunday lets see what happens in our remaining league games before we decide on Ralph's future

Lets face it we cannot be that bad against Leicester we are so inconsistent the only consistency about us is our inconsistency

I really wouldn't bet on that.  We've already seen, on numerous occasions this season, that when the going gets tough we simply collapse.  Leicester will be kicking their lips at the prospect of playing us. 

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

This RH has been on borrowed goodwill for some time, stability is good if it works but this clearly isn't working. Yes we've had a few good performances under him but the bad ones now outweigh the good.  Something about his method is simply no longer working and we are very easy for other times to do their homework on we play one dimensional football with nothing else & when it's not going well we completely implode.  People say well at least it's not Pellegrino but even he didn't have as many heavy defeats on his CV as bad as we were.  Claude puel is starting to look like he was a decent option 

in the words of Sheryl "I think a change would do us good," 

"A few good performances". We were brilliant for a whole year

15 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Can’t believe you’re writing this off as a bad day at the office. How many more are we going to have until people stop making excuses for him? If Ings hadn’t dragged us out the shit against Burnley we’d have been even worse off than we are.

3 wins, 1 draw, 11 losses in 2021. But apparently yesterday was just a "bad day at the office".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

This club was here before Ralph and it'll be here after him aswell, my only hope is that we get there first and sack him before he walks of his own accord because we'll look like fucking mugs if that happens after sticking with him, when nearly all other clubs in the league wouldn't have done.

I kind of feel like he might walk himself after Leicester if we get smashed and all the PR spin and bollocks from his side will follow about how he couldn't do what he wanted to do and all that bluster.

Whatever happens, if we get tonked in the semi-final, Semmens needs to get there first and boot him, I'm talking like, immediately.

Huh? You're worried about 'looking like mugs' more than the millions it will cost us to sack him?

If you would prefer him not to be manager, fine. But surely him resigning (which he won't) is a much better outcome for the club - especially as we have no money - than having to pay him off.

1 hour ago, mrfahaji said:

Huh? You're worried about 'looking like mugs' more than the millions it will cost us to sack him?

If you would prefer him not to be manager, fine. But surely him resigning (which he won't) is a much better outcome for the club - especially as we have no money - than having to pay him off.

This obsession people have with club finances over a manager who has been piss fucking poor for months and months is just plain weird and in any other walk of life you'd be punted.

If he walks, you can guarantee he's going to blame us for the whole lot and that bothers me a lot more than the cost advantages of which I'm never personally going to see a penny of anyway.

So why would I care? He's not going to be a on a Jose Mourinho style £30M sack clause is he? At least I bloody hope not.

I'd rather sack him and pay than him control the entire narrative afterwards.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I've been behind the manager all season, but we are certainly in danger of limping over the line.

Lose the cup semi and continue our current league form and his position is surely very tentative for a lot of fans (being kind) come mid-may?!?!

I can't relate the teams current play with that of the first half of the season? Are the players all jaded and have had enough / on holiday?? Has Ralph simply been sussed out by the other managers in the league? Or has he lost the balance and setup that was working? - because right now we are so very very poor!

I want to think that with a summer break and a squad refresh we'll be back to our best next season.... but I also think that a continuation of our current form and performances would mean keeping Ralph is a huge gamble from the board. I am sure all of us thought performances would improve once the squad came back to fitness - but they haven't! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

This obsession people have with club finances over a manager who has been piss fucking poor for months and months is just plain weird and in any other walk of life you'd be punted.

If he walks, you can guarantee he's going to blame us for the whole lot and that bothers me a lot more than the cost advantages of which I'm never personally going to see a penny of anyway.

So why would I care? He's not going to be a on a Jose Mourinho style £30M sack clause is he? At least I bloody hope not.

I'd rather sack him and pay than him control the entire narrative afterwards.

But that's just my humble opinion.

You do get it that we have no money? Every penny that pays him off means less funds for transfers?

He signed a 4 year deal in 2020 he isn’t going to cost 3m as you suggested recently to get rid of.

I suggest we would be far better off getting rid of Watson, Davis etc and get in someone that can talk him into changing shape and tactics.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

You do get it that we have no money? Every penny that pays him off means less funds for transfers?

He signed a 4 year deal in 2020 he isn’t going to cost 3m as you suggested recently to get rid of.

I suggest we would be far better off getting rid of Watson, Davis etc and get in someone that can talk him into changing shape and tactics.

Supposedly one of those was on the cusp of joining Inter Miami, but chose to stay at saints instead.

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We've lost 11 out of 14 with the worst record of 2021 because of Dave Watson? Do me a favour. Just a cop-out.

At the end of the day Ralph's standing in the club is strong enough to have elbowed out Dave and Kelvin if he'd wanted to by now.

The first team backroom staff is his accountability as much as the team on the pitch.

Just now, CB Fry said:

We've lost 11 out of 14 with the worst record of 2021 because of Dave Watson? Do me a favour. Just a cop-out.

At the end of the day Ralph's standing in the club is strong enough to have elbowed out Dave and Kelvin if he'd wanted to by now.

The first team backroom staff is his accountability as much as the team on the pitch.

Read what I said again where did I say that it was Watson etc?

I said we should replace them with someone that is tactically better and and can help a manager that’s is failing badly that we can’t afford to sack so that is a solution to use what wages we have and improve the staff not difficult to understand really is it.

20 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We were top 4 over a 38game period in 2020.

TBF everyone knows we were never the top 4 side that that run suggested But what If we had spread the last two seasons results out better would people be happier with Ralph?.. So if we hadn't had this bad run currently but lost those 12 games or whatever it is over the two seasons more evenly especially during that 38 game run?

What have we had? 88 points over the two seasons with 7 to play. Most people would probably accept that. For reference over the same period Palace have 81 points, Newcastle 76 points, Burnley 87 points, Brighton 74 points, Everton 97 points, Villa 79 points, West Ham 94 points, Sheffield 68 points, Wolves 97 points.  

I think the truth probably is Ralph isn't the world beater that run suggested but he isn't as bad as the run we are on now suggests.

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Read what I said again where did I say that it was Watson etc?

I said we should replace them with someone that is tactically better and and can help a manager that’s is failing badly that we can’t afford to sack so that is a solution to use what wages we have and improve the staff not difficult to understand really is it.

I don't accept the premise that Ralph is a helpless victim who needs to be helped out by blessing him with new backroom staff.

Its his backroom team, he's accountable for the decisions made and the advice he listens to.

The idea we are now a hostage to this manager because we cannot afford to sack him is madness.

I understand your argument, like you say, it's not difficult to understand. But it is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't want to sack him right now but not for that reason.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I don't accept the premise that Ralph is a helpless victim who needs to be helped out by blessing him with new backroom staff.

Its his backroom team, he's accountable for the decisions made and the advice he listens to.

The idea we are now a hostage to this manager because we cannot afford to sack him is madness.

I understand your argument, like you say, it's not difficult to understand. But it is absolutely ridiculous.

I remember the days when it was all Eric Blacks fault. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I haven’t said that he is a helpless victim but whether we like it or not he needs to do better tactically. I thought against Burnley he got it spot on bringing on Salisu to bolster the back line but how many games has he failed to react like Brighton at home.

I do believe we are a hostage though until Gao goes unless we utilise the new sponsorship money but if we replace him with someone like Howe we will just be same as now.

How long do you feel he has until you feel he has had enough? What would you do?

Edited by Give it to Ron

19 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

TBF everyone knows we were never the top 4 side that that run suggested But what If we had spread the last two seasons results out better would people be happier with Ralph?.. So if we hadn't had this bad run currently but lost those 12 games or whatever it is over the two seasons more evenly especially during that 38 game run?

What have we had? 88 points over the two seasons with 7 to play. Most people would probably accept that. For reference over the same period Palace have 81 points, Newcastle 76 points, Burnley 87 points, Brighton 74 points, Everton 97 points, Villa 79 points, West Ham 94 points, Sheffield 68 points, Wolves 97 points.  

I think the truth probably is Ralph isn't the world beater that run suggested but he isn't as bad as the run we are on now suggests.

That’s how I see it and the reason I’m not looking to get rid at the mo.

44 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Keep in mind I have no idea what Ralph's contract is, but I did read somewhere, it might have been The Athletic about what happens when a manager get's sacked and unless you're an elite manager in world football at a massive club, the general payoff is about 1 years contract.

Whether that's true or not, who knows, I don't have that kind of knowledge.

People will say "but Hughes got this, Hughes got that" that might be true aswell but as a football fan, I don't particularly care other than the performance of the manager and the results we get, I find it weird that fans care more about the bank balance than winning fucking games of football.

Contrarily, I will also say, this has been a season that's been hugely impacted by events out of Ralph's control, so there is that too.

That being said, on balance we've been very good and we've been absolutely dogshit too. 11 losses in 14. Flipping hell man.

Edited by JustinSFC

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Keep in mind I have no idea what Ralph's contract is, but I did read somewhere, it might have been The Athletic about what happens when a manager get's sacked and unless you're an elite manager in world football at a massive club, the general payoff is about 1 years contract.

You don't sign a 4 year contract and only get 1 year of it if you are sacked when there are 3 years remaining.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You don't sign a 4 year contract and only get 1 year of it if you are sacked when there are 3 years remaining.

How do you know that?

I'm not saying you're wrong but how do you know?

Like I said, based on what I read, which may or may not have been true, but I'll take a punt right now that whoever wrote it knows more about it than I do, that unless you're a top, top, top manager you won't get that.

And keep in mind, you're still talking millions at 1 year.

Edited by JustinSFC

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

How do you know that?

I'm not saying you're wrong but how do you know?

Like I said, based on what I read, which may or may not have been true, but I'll take a punt right now that whoever wrote it knows more about it than I do, that unless you're a top, top, top manager you won't get that.

And keep in mind, you're still talking millions at 1 year.

He doesn’t. He hasn’t a clue what get our clauses both sides have.

What you’ve said is probably right, there is most likely an agreed figure / time built in the contract as a get out. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

He doesn’t. He hasn’t a clue what get our clauses both sides have.

What you’ve said is probably right, there is most likely an agreed figure / time built in the contract as a get out. 

There is a 20m release clause....according to Crook and Talkshite today 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl