Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

I cannot believe what I'm reading here

Allardyce 😂 Hodgson 😂 Howe 😂

Jesus wept.

Hassenhutl is here to stay, the club back him, accept it. He's here for the long haul. We've seen that at our very best, he's got these players ticking. We're in a bad patch but he'll turn it around.

Thank fuck those at the top making the big decisions have more brains than some of the posters here

Still laughing at the thought of sacking him for Allardyce, Hodgson or Howe hahahahahahahahaha

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Jesus wept.

Hassenhutl is here to stay, the club back him, accept it. He's here for the long haul. We've seen that at our very best, he's got these players ticking. We're in a bad patch but he'll turn it around.

Thank fuck those at the top making the big decisions have more brains than some of the posters here

Still laughing at the thought of sacking him for Allardyce, Hodgson or Howe hahahahahahahahaha

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Gao's mum took charge than Allardyce or Hodgson, but I'm not sure how or when anyone thinks Ralph can suddenly turn this around.

He's a one trick pony, and his trick no longer takes teams by surprise. For me, he's taken us as far as he can. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Jesus wept.

2 wins in 15 games and has already been already tactically outclassed by the first 2 this season. 

None of those would be my choice, but they’d be doing a significantly better job than Ralph. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

Puel played a tactic to suit the players he had and circumstances. Hassenhuttl has carried on with the same tactic week after week regardless of the players he has, with the same mistakes and same results

Why people can’t see this I’ll never know. Even if Ralph’s style is enjoyable, it’s clearly not right for us this season. 

My summary is that I suspect he’s a very good coach, we looked well drilled and seemed to know the game plan. However, I think he’s a poor manager. Tactically very nieve and far too stubborn. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Why people can’t see this I’ll never know. Even if Ralph’s style is enjoyable, it’s clearly not right for us this season. 

My summary is that I suspect he’s a very good coach, we looked well drilled and seemed to know the game plan. However, I think he’s a poor manager. Tactically very nieve and far too stubborn. 

The 2 things can co-exist. 

People, definitely me, see that Ralph could be more adapting to the players he has, but also recognise that he has some outstanding qualities that could benefit us longer term. 

What is clear is that no one has a de facto position on what will happen, and yes other coaches may have done better this season. But this season for obvious reasons is a bit of a strange one. Lots of teams have under performed or over performed.

My main concern with Ralph is that is he the right manager at the wrong time, in so much as if a takeover doesn’t happen quickly, I’m not convinced, as you say about stubborn, i dont think he will want to change. I dont believe he is naive, more stubborn and believe his tactics can work, with slightly different players.

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

My summary is that I suspect he’s a very good coach, we looked well drilled and seemed to know the game plan. However, I think he’s a poor manager. Tactically very nieve and far too stubborn

Yes, he's a good coach in that his one system and style is ground into the players who all know their roles. The problem is that everyone else knows those roles and systems and that's why we're so easy to turn over.

Whether he's tactically stubborn I'm not sure, but one you've only got one trick, you've only got one trick. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, egg said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Gao's mum took charge than Allardyce or Hodgson, but I'm not sure how or when anyone thinks Ralph can suddenly turn this around.

He's a one trick pony, and his trick no longer takes teams by surprise. For me, he's taken us as far as he can. 

His team don’t want off the ball running anymore they’ve had enough .. the don’t last because they don’t buy into it anymore  especially the older players .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

His team don’t want off the ball running anymore they’ve had enough .. the don’t last because they don’t buy into it anymore  especially the older players .

Does seem to be a lack of on-pitch commitment from the players these days. Are they just physically knackered, or have they lost the belief in Ralph and his messages?

I recall supposed comments about Ralph, made by Ings about 2 seasons ago (I think) - where he said training was shit and all 'press, press, press'.

There was the article a couple of weeks ago (can't find the link) that suggested the club believe performance issues are down to the players, not management; and something of a clear out was hinted at.

I suspect we won't see RH move on anytime soon, but hopefully see him able to refresh the squad considerably this summer (god we need this). Certainly could be an interesting few months ahead.

• Like 1

I have slowly lost my faith in Ralph but I do have to keep reminding myself that this is the same core group that has served up shite under a number of managers.

I would rather see the likes of Bertrand, Redmond etc. leave (as well as finally shifting the deadwood out on loan) before Ralph. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Don’t think Ralph will ever recover from 2 x 9-0s

and the recent decline has killed his growing reputation as a potential great coach 

Great coaches simply DONT lose 9-0 and decent coaches DONT lose 9-0 TWICE 

Have to agree, although it's been a strange season with most teams showing erratic form overall, the League Champions shipped 7 at Villa, Chelsea 5 at home to 2nd bottom team, but 9 in 2 seasons running is a record that will stand for a very long time.

Our pattern of play dosen't change it seems, and most of the players have regressed this season, with the exception of Vest and Armstrong who IMO have played consistently well, albeit normally with a shambles surrounding them. I don't think there's more than 6 players who I'd like to see next season, but we're unlikely to get many new players in, we have no money and virtually no assets to sell. Our woeful defense hasn't improved (only WBA have shipped more goals).

I do like RH, but with seemingly enough points on the board (?), if he can't try something a little different for the remaining games then he never will and next season will be a struggle, if he's still here.

As for a potenial replacement, Jose anyone ?

I will accept that Ralph has his flaws. Lack of plan B and our inability to lay a finger on teams in the final 20 minutes of games is an issue. I'm sure he's aware of that though. We weren't like that at the start of the season - think to the Chelsea away game. And even in the December period where we weren't playing particularly well, we at least got draws and clean sheets (Fulham and West Ham)

I do think the players mentally are fragile and quite frankly the squad needs an overhaul. I've been saying it for a couple of years, it's obvious to anyone. That's the problem, not the manager. Changing the manager will not change that fundamental issue. Back Ralph, give him the money, let him overhaul the squad. And if we have to sell Ings to fund that, so be it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I do think the players mentally are fragile and quite frankly the squad needs an overhaul. I've been saying it for a couple of years, it's obvious to anyone. That's the problem, not the manager. Changing the manager will not change that fundamental issue. Back Ralph, give him the money, let him overhaul the squad. And if we have to sell Ings to fund that, so be it.

When it’s mark hughes & pelligrino it’s their fault, when it’s Ralph, it’s the players fault, is that how it works?

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

When it’s mark hughes & pelligrino it’s their fault, when it’s Ralph, it’s the players fault, is that how it works?

and with those two we barely looked like, or were capable of beating anyone. With Ralph, sure we have had a horrendous run, but we are also capable of, and have, beaten mot and played outstanding football.

45 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Does seem to be a lack of on-pitch commitment from the players these days. Are they just physically knackered, or have they lost the belief in Ralph and his messages?

I recall supposed comments about Ralph, made by Ings about 2 seasons ago (I think) - where he said training was shit and all 'press, press, press'.

There was the article a couple of weeks ago (can't find the link) that suggested the club believe performance issues are down to the players, not management; and something of a clear out was hinted at.

I suspect we won't see RH move on anytime soon, but hopefully see him able to refresh the squad considerably this summer (god we need this). Certainly could be an interesting few months ahead.

Needs to be players that are unbelievablely fit with natural engines to play his way for a whole season or it’s burn out on the Agenda before Christmas and relegation next may .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

and with those two we barely looked like, or were capable of beating anyone. With Ralph, sure we have had a horrendous run, but we are also capable of, and have, beaten mot and played outstanding football.

We’ve also suffered some horrendous defeats that we didn’t under the other 2. I’m not just talking about the 9-0’s. Spurs earlier in the season was the most tactically naive game I’ve ever seen, and I’m nearly 60. Leeds, WBA, Newcastle, wolves last season, Burnley last season. Weds was horrendous, same old same old, out thought by a 29 year old manager in his first game. Awful 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Who have we looked like beating recently? 

We looked better under Pellegrino than we currently do with Ralph, who has ZERO clue how to change anything. He's lost the plot and clearly has run out of ideas. 

Tactically outclassed by Allardyce and a 29 year old rookie, prove that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We’ve also suffered some horrendous defeats that we didn’t under the other 2. I’m not just talking about the 9-0’s. Spurs earlier in the season was the most tactically naive game I’ve ever seen, and I’m nearly 60. Leeds, WBA, Newcastle, wolves last season, Burnley last season. Weds was horrendous, same old same old, out thought by a 29 year old manager in his first game. Awful 

Yeah I do agree, and I’m not far from totally losing faith in Ralph. You are clearly an intelligent guy, can you see anything in Ralph that could work out?

I just think see the season out, the powers that be know now how much we will spend, if it isn’t going to be enough to support Ralphs needs, he should go and get someone who can work better with what we have.

If they back him, i think he could be really good.

Re Spuds game, i think that was less a 29 yo debutant manager being better, rather spurs had better players who upped their game. Football is a game of fine margins (not the 9-0’s), and Spurs could have gone either way. I get it didnt go our way, but it could have.

Maybe the one thing we do agree is Ralphs stubbornness, particularly around subs. I was quietly boiling in the Leicester game, same v spurs, they came too late and v spurs weren’t the right call.

And if he keeps persevering with Nathan and Moussa, he may need taking out back and putting out of his misery.

5 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Who have we looked like beating recently? 

We looked better under Pellegrino than we currently do with Ralph, who has ZERO clue how to change anything. He's lost the plot and clearly has run out of ideas. 

Tactically outclassed by Allardyce and a 29 year old rookie, prove that. 

Spurs - that could have gone either way.

Sorry, but I cant accept we looked better under MP2 - to me that is total bollocks.

I do worry he now cant out of this mess were in, and could be part of the problem, but I stand by my view to see what we are going to do in the summer window.

And again, how was he outclassed by a 29 yo rookie - you just say that as you think it backs up your point - it really doesn’t, Spurs have world class players, and in Bale stil one of the best in the world. We turned to Moussa Djennepo - says it al really.

I’d be interested in your analysis of what specifically the 29 yo rookie did, tactically, to turn the game. Other than say “Play better lads”.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr X said:

I don't think the owner (or whoever has the authority to make the decision) will ever pull the trigger on Ralph or it would have happened, we clearly have huge financial troubles but surely when one of our so called "top players" leaves we can afford to use some of it to pay him off? How much would it cost 5 million tops?

I like Ralph but to think why hes not been sacked after poor performances week in week out  for the last 15 games is beyond me. As you've eluded to  when we sell one or more of our top players set aside the portion of pay off money from Ralph's remaining contract and there you go just a bit less left over in the transfer fund so simple .Lets face it with our track record of utter rubbish that we've bought and placed on long term contracts, that are out on loan at the moment it seems none of them are putting in performances to warrant their contracts being bought for the loaned clubs they are at . Same old performances week in week out and thats why we are in a pile of shit,nothings changing and never will until the system whatever that is changes or the team selection and the system changes. Try something different and adapt to the on field actions. two 9-0 defeats for fuck sake and were still Southampton fans,one 9-0 was bad enough but come on TWO,change it or go ,that combined with lack of intensity in the semi final well says it all ,were all starved of success as supporters of our chosen club and not to show up wow. Who realistically would we like as an alternative manager?.......................................

16 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Spurs - that could have gone either way.

Sorry, but I cant accept we looked better under MP2 - to me that is total bollocks.

I do worry he now cant out of this mess were in, and could be part of the problem, but I stand by my view to see what we are going to do in the summer window.

And again, how was he outclassed by a 29 yo rookie - you just say that as you think it backs up your point - it really doesn’t, Spurs have world class players, and in Bale stil one of the best in the world. We turned to Moussa Djennepo - says it al really.

I’d be interested in your analysis of what specifically the 29 yo rookie did, tactically, to turn the game. Other than say “Play better lads”.

Subs change games, we made the wrong sub when Ings came off, instantly going to a defensive mode and it backfired. 

Week after week, Ralph makes the wrong changes and hinders us and week after week, we were totally ineffective in the last 30 minutes. 

Our poor form has been like this for well over half a season and Ralph hasn't changed anything, not sure why you think he will now. He's a one-trick pony that's been sussed out, the sooner we, as a club, and him move on, the better. 

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we all know that the next game will see a 442/4222 line up. lots of ponderous play with wide open spaces in the middle and around our fullbacks.

Almost like we've seen that film before, like in every game for the past 5 months

1 hour ago, supersonic said:

Subs change games, we made the wrong sub when Ings came off, instantly going to a defensive mode and it backfired. 

Week after week, Ralph makes the wrong changes and hinders us and week after week, we were totally ineffective in the last 30 minutes. 

Our poor form has been like this for well over half a season and Ralph hasn't changed anything, not sure why you think he will now. He's a one-trick pony that's been sussed out, the sooner we, as a club, and him move on, the better. 

Yep, that sub against Spurs was appalling. He needed to make 1 change up front. Just one. Instead he brought on a midfielder, shifted players around and essentially made 3 changes. It completely disrupted us and went towards us losing the game. 

Aside of the mess it caused on the pitch, a change like that sends a very negative message to the forward players on the bench. 

Poor. 

• Like 1

Think we're forgetting how quietly successful Ralph was before he arrived here. 

Promoted and then finished mid table with an unlikely Ingolstadt in the Bundesliga. 

He then finished 2nd with Leipzig in that same league. 

He's clearly not a bad manager. So the question is figuring out what has gone wrong here?

Funds is a massive issue. We want to be competing with the likes of Wolves, West Ham, Villa etc. But the reality is that some of those teams have outspent us 2 / 3 / 4 X in the past few years. There are so many games that have hinged on our lack of depth (Villa at home instantly comes to mind - the 1 goal comes from JWP being tactically exposed at RB). 

For someone who relies so heavily on coaching and preparation, this COVID season clearly hasn't helped him. Generally think he's a great coach and his principles are great too. But I would say in a season that has been so mad and clearly physically/mentally exhausting for all involved, his rigid loyalty to his philopshy has hampered us. The lack of pragamtism has really been exposed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neef said:

Promoted and then finished mid table with an unlikely Ingolstadt in the Bundesliga. 

He's clearly not a bad manager. So the question is figuring out what has gone wrong here?

Funds is a massive issue. We want to be competing with the likes of Wolves, West Ham, Villa etc. But the reality is that some of those teams have outspent us 2 / 3 / 4 X in the past few years. There are so many games that have hinged on our lack of depth (Villa at home instantly comes to mind - the 1 goal comes from JWP being tactically exposed at RB). 

For someone who relies so heavily on coaching and preparation, this COVID season clearly hasn't helped him. Generally think he's a great coach and his principles are great too. But I would say in a season that has been so mad and clearly physically/mentally exhausting for all involved, his rigid loyalty to his philopshy has hampered us. The lack of pragamtism has really been exposed. 

Good post. There's no denying that he's done well previously. He's also done well here with this group of players. Thus, I don't agree that the run we're on is a funds issue.

Essentially, the players are the same but the performances and results aren't.

If the players aren't performing, that's a Ralph issue. If the starting tactics aren't working, that's a Ralph issue. If other coaches are making in game changes that we can't/don't adapt to, that's a Ralph issue. 

However you cut it the performances, results and tactics with this group of players under Ralph's command have declined. 

14 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Jesus wept.

Pamplemousse please read my post earlier that included those names.  I was really clear that my preference was that the club backs Ralph and supports a major transfer window overhaul of squad.  However......

......the names that I listed were explicitly tactically astute managers who would get better results FROM THIS SQUAD OF PLAYERS IF CLUB  DOES NOT FUND OVERHAUL.  That is a different question to “which manager excites you”?

Back in the day you and I were two of the few posters who opposed sacking Puel.  I still do, as it was followed by two appalling seasons where we survived by skin of teeth.  What would we give now for a tactically cautious 8th place and a cup final!  Puel would not be overseeing the run we are currently on, but that doesn’t mean he is a manger who excites me.

Think people should focus on the fact that club may not give Ralph funds to change players sufficiently.  I think Ralph managing an unchanged squad won’t finish well.  Ralph backed to change things good finish very well

28 minutes ago, Neef said:

Success is relative to the challenge. As Ralph reminds us continuously the PL is the best, toughest, most competitive league in the world and it as this level he has failed. The past is the past but it's what is happening now that judges him.

We've all been figuring out what's gone wrong since Christmas and the collective intelligence of the Forum has finally arrived at the conclusion that the problem is Ralph.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Success is relative to the challenge. As Ralph reminds us continuously the PL is the best, toughest, most competitive league in the world and it as this level he has failed. The past is the past but it's what is happening now that judges him.

We've all been figuring out what's gone wrong since Christmas and the collective intelligence of the Forum has finally arrived at the conclusion that the problem is Ralph.

Collective intelligence. 🤣

I must of missed that, including myself in that too

28 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What is success for us? That's part of my point. 

We staved off relegation in the 1st season (which was his job), and we finished 11th in his first full season. I wouldn't say that should be defined as failure for us. 

What do we realistically class as success for us? Especially when you take into account money and everything else. 

This season is clearly not success. But I do think there's more to it than Ralph being a bad manager.

17 hours ago, DT said:

We are not safe

I'm not knocking your viewpoint, but would you mind detailing the results for the 5 or 6 games that the four teams have left to play, that would enable them ALL to overtake Saints, and leave us 18th or lower?

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Remind me again about the difference in squads between Saints and Tottenham? You don’t think that perhaps having the likes of Bale and Son might have had something to do with it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Remind me again about the difference in squads between Saints and Tottenham? You don’t think that perhaps having the likes of Bale and Son might have had something to do with it?

If Bale and Son came on when we were one up and changed the game you'd have a point, but they were already on the pitch. Ralph chose to make multiple position changes when Ings went off and we went to shit after that and lost. 

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So you think it was down to the Spurs managers tactical nous as Duckie said and not the fact that he has a better squad of players at his disposal?

34 minutes ago, Piran said:

I'm not knocking your viewpoint, but would you mind detailing the results for the 5 or 6 games that the four teams have left to play, that would enable them ALL to overtake Saints, and leave us 18th or lower?

Admittedly it's unlikely but really not difficult to come up with a scenario that would see Saints relegated. Especially given Saints current bottom of the league form.

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

So you think it was down to the Spurs managers tactical nous as Duckie said and not the fact that he has a better squad of players at his disposal?

For me it was part the poor decisions / changes Ralph made, and the changes tactically Spurs made. They didn't bring players on that improved them. 

52 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Bale wasn’t playing when Ralph produced the most tactically inept performances I’ve had the misfortune to witness. Other teams play against better players, they don’t get turned over by 9 and they don’t surrender without a fight. Their managers adapt their plans, set up properly and they and be hard to beat. Our bloke does the same thing week in week out. Have Wet Brom got better players, what about the 9 Newcastle players we lost to? 

Stop making excuses for Teflon Ralph. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bale wasn’t playing when Ralph produced the most tactically inept performances I’ve had the misfortune to witness. Other teams play against better players, they don’t get turned over by 9 and they don’t surrender without a fight. Their managers adapt their plans, set up properly and they and be hard to beat. Our bloke does the same thing week in week out. Have Wet Brom got better players, what about the 9 Newcastle players we lost to? 

Stop making excuses for Teflon Ralph. 

Stop moving the goalposts! His post was in response to your comments regarding the last game.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

As he was tactically inept in both Spurs games, how do I know which one people are referring to? 

He wasn't 'tactically inept' in the 1st half. You overlooked the Spurs squad cost considerably more than ours and the difference in quality came through as the game progressed. You made comments regarding being out done by Ryan Mason a 29 year old, but the resources Mason had available to him were significantly better than what Hasenhuttl had. You decided to overlook this or couldn't grasp it.

• Like 3

A question for those that want Hasenhuttl out...

Of the 13 teams above us, which should Hasenhuttl be disappointed not to be higher than?

I'd say only Crystal Palace and possibly Leeds (given they are newly promoted but have spent quite a bit). So hardly a poor season when looked at until this point as a whole rather than just the last 4 months.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He wasn't 'tactically inept' in the 1st half. 

His tactics cost us the game. I don’t give a flying fuck whether that’s first half or second. If a Marathon runner sets off at 5,000 meters pace and loses because he runs out of steam at the end of the race, would you say that because he was winning the race at 13 miles, he got his early race tactics spot on? If he kept doing so race after race, would you say he was a fucking idiot and maybe he should change his tactics. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

His tactics cost us the game. I don’t give a flying fuck whether that’s first half or second. If a Marathon runner sets off at 5,000 meters pace and loses because he runs out of steam at the end of the race, would you say that because he was winning the race at 13 miles, he got his early race tactics spot on? If he kept doing so race after race, would you say he was a fucking idiot and maybe he should change his tactics. 

We were one stupid Djenepo tackle away from a point vs a team with a vastly bigger income, transfer budget and wage budget than us. So even though we were less effective in the second half, it was very fine margins that lost the game. That doesn't mean it was a tactical error. An inch or two the other way and that 90th minute penalty would have been a free kick and probably an away point.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

A question for those that want Hasenhuttl out...

Of the 13 teams above us, which should Hasenhuttl be disappointed not to be higher than?

I'd say only Crystal Palace and possibly Leeds (given they are newly promoted but have spent quite a bit). So hardly a poor season when looked at until this point as a whole rather than just the last 4 months.

Let’s see where we finish first shall we? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

We were one stupid Djenepo tackle away from a point vs a team with a vastly bigger income, transfer budget and wage budget than us. So even though we were less effective in the second half, it was very fine margins that lost the game. That doesn't mean it was a tactical error. An inch or two the other way and that 90th minute penalty would have been a free kick and probably an away point.

Teflon Ralph, more excuses. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Let’s see where we finish first shall we? 

Try answering it now, especially given how you were quite happy to write him off now, so why not explain which of the 13 clubs above us it is disappointing to be lower than. I'd say it is one, two at most.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl