Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

12 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Ings aside, I doubt Brighton fans would very interested having any other Saints players in their starting line-up.

Not many of theirs I’d have either, if I’m honest. 

Bissouma, Ben White and maybe Dunk (he’s a decent leader which were lacking, that’s about it). 

The rest are probably much of a muchness. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

See I don’t get this. Our net spend over the last 5 years is pretty much lowest in the league. Yeah we wasted the VVD money, but I don’t really see why that should hamstring us forever more? The VVD money effectively has left us just above (in footballing terms) even. 

Why are we seemingly the only club who has to sell before we can buy? 

this is this thing isn't it. Yes we've wasted money but it's only money that's come in from sales. Every club makes bad signings. Crystal Palace spent over £60m on Benteke, Sakho and Wickham, nearly £300k a week on wages, all 3 of them pretty disasterous for example. Seems like not only are we the only club that has to sell to buy, we're also the only club who are forever hamstrung by crap signings 4 years ago. 

Just now, SKD said:

Bissouma, Ben White and maybe Dunk (he’s a decent leader which were lacking, that’s about it). 

Their keepers are much better than we've got too, but that's not really saying much. Webster also better than Bednarek & Stephens if we're talking squad players. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Not that I think they are anything special but I think Groß and Trossard are less terrible than Redmond, Djenepo and Walcott and I’d certainly think we missed a trick not bringing back Lallana if there was any chance of that happening. Obviously they’ve have Lamptey too.

But that defensive trio of Bissouma, Dunk and White definitely stands out.

Just now, Nemi said:

Not that I think they are anything special but I think Groß and Trossard are less terrible than Redmond, Djenepo and Walcott and I’d certainly think we missed a trick not bringing back Lallana if there was any chance of that happening. Obviously they’ve have Lamptey too.

But that defensive trio of Bissouma, Dunk and White definitely stands out.

1 goal this season for £100k a week (rumoured) we really didn't

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well obviously that’s why it wasn’t possible then. Doesn’t change the fact he would still vastly improve this team; he ran rings round us at St Mary’s, Brighton fans seem pretty impressed by him, and that’s with him playing in a deeper midfield position. 

His ability to hold onto the ball, especially under pressure, is something no-one in this squad, apart from Romeu maybe, is capable of doing. That and his experience would definitely help us say, hold on to a lead - I heard we’ve struggled to do this season?

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Well obviously that’s why it wasn’t possible then. Doesn’t change the fact he would still vastly improve this team; he ran rings round us at St Mary’s, Brighton fans seem pretty impressed by him, and that’s with him playing in a deeper midfield position. 

His ability to hold onto the ball, especially under pressure, is something no-one in this squad, apart from Romeu maybe, is capable of doing. That and his experience would definitely help us say, hold on to a lead - I heard we’ve struggled to do this season?

Lallana is exactly the type of player we are missing. A 10 who isn’t just reliant on being quick and direct with very little technical ability (Theo, Dejenepo even Tella to a degree). It’s why Armstrong does so well when he plays there. 

That being said, given his age, wage demand and injury record, wouldn’t have been a good deal for us. A Theo mark 2. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You forgot the one assist as well.

Crappy old useless Nathan Redmond could only scrape together four goals and three assists  so you can really see the contribution Adam Lallana really could have made.

Just now, CB Fry said:

Crappy old useless Nathan Redmond could only scrape together four goals and three assists  so you can really see the contribution Adam Lallana really could have made.

He does do nice turns in the centre circle though

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He does do nice turns in the centre circle though

31 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What a great comparison to make - an attacker v someone playing in midfield, genius.

Brighton fans seem to agree that he is a class above. Not one Saints player could get anywhere near him at St Mary’s. But don’t worry let’s stick our head on the sand because we don’t like the way he left a few years ago boohoo.

Edited by Nemi

8 minutes ago, Nemi said:

What a great comparison to make - an attacker v someone playing in midfield, genius.

Brighton fans seem to agree that he is a class above. Not one Saints player could get anywhere near him at St Mary’s. But don’t worry let’s stick our head on the sand because we don’t like the way he left a few years ago boohoo.

The second worst defence in the league couldn’t get near Lallana with his one goal and one assist last season. Okay you’ve convinced me. We absolutely missed out. 

11 minutes ago, Nemi said:

And yet for most of the season he was on the bench.

What an absolute megastar.

Please take our 100k a week Adam please please please.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The second worst defence in the league couldn’t get near Lallana with his one goal and one assist last season. Okay you’ve convinced me. We absolutely missed out. 

Well he’s been playing CM alongside Bissouma so the player who couldn’t get near him was our so-called player of the season.

1 goal, 1 assist for a centre-mid let’s see who else that world rule out then: 

Bissouma: 1 goal, 0 assists - oh wait you must of changed your mind about him quickly yeah? He’s crap isn’t he?

Partey: 0 goals, 2 assists - wouldn’t get anywhere near our team, yeah?

Kante: 0 goals, 2 assists - thank God we don’t have him.

Kovacic: 0 goals, 1 assist - not good enough?

Wijnaldum: 2 goals, 0 assists - no way we’ll pick him up in the summer, not good enough Saints, let Barca have him instead.

Next him we try sign a CM, let’s remember to run him past you first to check they have enough goals and assists for your liking?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

And yet for most of the season he was on the bench.

What an absolute megastar.

Please take our 100k a week Adam please please please.

And still despite all that golden boy JWP couldn’t get anywhere near him.

5 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Well he’s been playing CM alongside Bissouma so the player who couldn’t get near him was our so-called player of the season.

Bissouma: 1 goal, 0 assists - oh wait you must of changed your mind about him quickly yeah? He’s crap isn’t he?

Wijnaldum: 2 goals, 0 assists - no way we’ll pick him up in the summer, not good enough Saints, let Barca have him instead.

Next him we try sign a CM, let’s remember to run him past you first to check they have enough goals and assists for your liking?

LOL youre showing yourself up now. You evidently don’t know much about football if you’re comparing some of those to Lallana. I notice that the defensive midfielder Kante still managed more assists than your hero though, thanks for proving me right  👍

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

LOL youre showing yourself up now. You evidently don’t know much about football if you’re comparing some of those to Lallana. I notice that the defensive midfielder Kante still managed more assists than your hero though, thanks for proving me right  👍

Is this coming from the football genius who think goals and assists is the most important attribute of a CM? It was fine comparing him to Redmond a second ago but now you’re unhappy he’s up against other CMs? 

Start stupid arguments and you can get responses stupid enough for your level of comprehension.

26 minutes ago, Nemi said:

And still despite all that golden boy JWP couldn’t get anywhere near him.

Look you think the solution to our problems is a veteran midfielder who couldn't hold down a place in the side for a team that finished below us in the league.

And we should have stumped up 100 grand a week for the privilege of his 17 first team starts.

Thank fuck you're not in charge.

Edited by CB Fry

I used to think I would be happy with a coach and team that went head to head with anyone regardless of reputation or league position. For a short run of games it is fine if we lose a couple but when it becomes a habit it is soul destroying. If the plan is to go out all guns blazing in the first half (Leeds, WHam) then we have to make sure the strikers picked hit the target, not side netting and not 20 rows back in the stand - all the other teams seem to manage it. And if do manage to take the lead can they be coached a little bit more to see the game out (Tottenham). 
I'm a fan of Ralph but 2021 has been pants.

4 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Is this coming from the football genius who think goals and assists is the most important attribute of a CM? It was fine comparing him to Redmond a second ago but now you’re unhappy he’s up against other CMs? 

Start stupid arguments and you can get responses stupid enough for your level of comprehension.

but he’s not a CM In a traditional sense. At best, he’s a creative CAM, if he was to play in a 2 with JWP we’d get ripped apart more than we already do. 

If you think He is anything near the same type of player as those in the list you provided, you’re probably the most clueless football fan I’ve come across. 

Redmond is a fair comparison. 

Edited by SKD

38 minutes ago, Nemi said:

I've read some unspeakable shite on this forum but come on this is insane.

48 minutes ago, Nemi said:

airplane movie facepalm GIF

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Look you think the solution to our problems is a veteran midfielder who couldn't hold down a place in the side for a team that finished below us in the league.

And we should have stumped up 100 grand a week for the privilege of his 17 first team starts.

Thank fuck you're not in charge.

Isn’t it lucky then that me saying we should sign him for 100k per week and he is the answer to our problems is something you’ve just made up in your head because you or the other bloke can’t argue against the fact that he would simply improve our team: my only point in what was a comparison between Brighton’s players and Southampton’s players.

An argument based on a hypothetical and you’ve rushed in here getting all worked up about something I haven’t said.

Edited by Nemi

21 minutes ago, SKD said:

but he’s not a CM In a traditional sense. At best, he’s a creative CAM, if he was to play in a 2 with JWP we’d get ripped apart more than we already do. 

If you think He is anything near the same type of player as those in the list you provided, you’re probably the most clueless football fan I’ve come across. 

Redmond is a fair comparison. 

At Brighton he has been playing CM. 

But yes as no-one can work out, that is a sarcastic post because apparently his only argument is that we should base a player’s worth on goals and assists only.

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I've read some unspeakable shite on this forum but come on this is insane.

So goals and assists don’t actually matter to a players worth at all then?

6 minutes ago, Nemi said:

At Brighton he has been playing CM. 

But yes as no-one can work out, that is a sarcastic post because apparently his only argument is that we should base a player’s worth on goals and assists only.

To be honest, he hardly plays at all, but goals and assists are what I’d look for in terms of output from someone like Lallana, yes. 

Clearly you wouldn’t from a defensive midfielder though. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

See I don’t get this. Our net spend over the last 5 years is pretty much lowest in the league. Yeah we wasted the VVD money, but I don’t really see why that should hamstring us forever more? The VVD money effectively has left us just above (in footballing terms) even. 

It's more the fact players like Carrillo, Hoedt etc delivered painfully little for the fees AND wages we spent on them. Thankfully we did recoup some money via loans, but I've no doubt we have suffered financially even with VVD's sale. We aren't a club that can afford to spend £15-20 million on players (plus their wages) and they turn out to be crap or amazing once every 10 games.

Ralph has borne the brunt of this in the transfer market. He's not blameless with some of his decisions this season, but he deserves to have some money to work with this summer. We might not have to sell at all, there may be some money available. I've no idea. My point was purely that we might consider moving a few players on if a decent offer comes in, if only to mix it up a bit. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

To be honest, he hardly plays at all, but goals and assists are what I’d look for in terms of output from someone like Lallana, yes. 

Clearly you wouldn’t from a defensive midfielder though. 

I said I would have him here for his ball retention and experience which would benefit us in holding a lead - something that has cost us a ridiculous amount of points this season. 

Given that no-one what in this squad has those abilities, it would definitely improve us, even as someone who could help us hold a lead from the bench, if in this hypothetical, he played for Southampton.

Therefore, banging on with stupid arguments about goals and assists, not relevant to what I’m saying, can get a stupid reply.

40 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Yes you're right, it is a stupid argument you've started and with every post you make it look even more ridiculous. Congratulations.

1 minute ago, Nemi said:

Therefore, banging on with stupid arguments about goals and assists, not relevant to what I’m saying, can get a stupid reply.

Do another one of your lists of midfielders and their goals and assists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Wages, our wage bill is huge. There was a time last season where we were paying something like £350K a week to players not even in our matchday squad, from paying part of loan fees plus players who couldn't make the bench. We didn't just waste transfer fees on these players, we also gave them massive contracts.

• Like 1

Question: does Ralph have sound judgement over player transfers? Both Theo & Minamino haven't played that well if we are totally honest yet he is keen that we sign them both.  Is it more that those players are now are level and what we have become? Liverpool also want more than the 8 million they paid for minamino.  KWP seems to be one of the few sound signings we've completed, dejenepo underwhelming & Redmond is well....... Redmond

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Question: does Ralph have sound judgement over player transfers? Both Theo & Minamino haven't played that well if we are totally honest yet he is keen that we sign them both.  Is it more that those players are now are level and what we have become? Liverpool also want more than the 8 million they paid for minamino.  KWP seems to be one of the few sound signings we've completed, dejenepo underwhelming & Redmond is well....... Redmond

I think it’s more a case of him being told not to expect anything better and putting a brave, positive, media-friendly face on things in public. I’m sure he’d love to have better players available than Djenepo, Walcott and Minamino but we can’t afford them. Not sure why you mentioned Redmond, he’s been here for 5 forgettable years now.

21 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think it’s more a case of him being told not to expect anything better and putting a brave, positive, media-friendly face on things in public. I’m sure he’d love to have better players available than Djenepo, Walcott and Minamino but we can’t afford them. Not sure why you mentioned Redmond, he’s been here for 5 forgettable years now.

4 forgettable years and one fantastic season where he was elected players of the year by both players and fans.

On 31/05/2021 at 14:10, Mr X said:

Id put Che Adams and Vestergaard both into the good signing categories with KWP

Diallo’s early season for was very good, but still reserving judgement, similarly Salisu looks very promising

Walcott I’m 50/50 on, he had a decent enough loan but 75k a month over a 2 year contract seems weighted in his favour

Djenepo Id but down as a failure, but not a huge failure

Overall transfers during the Ralph era havn’t been anywhere near the disaster of previous regimes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id put Che Adams and Vestergaard both into the good signing categories with KWP

Diallo’s early season for was very good, but still reserving judgement, similarly Salisu looks very promising

Walcott I’m 50/50 on, he had a decent enough loan but 75k a month over a 2 year contract seems weighted in his favour

Djenepo Id but down as a failure, but not a huge failure

Overall transfers during the Ralph era havn’t been anywhere near the disaster of previous regimes

Walcott would be very cheap at £75k per month. Assuming you mean £75k per week, where did you see this? I'd agree that that feels a little high for him

16 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Walcott would be very cheap at £75k per month. Assuming you mean £75k per week, where did you see this? I'd agree that that feels a little high for him

It was reported in press articles that he was on 150k at Everton and agreed to accept 75k here.

That's 7.8m wages and transfer fee in total over the two years so much cheaper than signing someone for a fee of, say, 12 million and paying them 50k a week, but clearly there's no potential resale upside. 

53 minutes ago, benjii said:

It was reported in press articles that he was on 150k at Everton and agreed to accept 75k here.

That's 7.8m wages and transfer fee in total over the two years so much cheaper than signing someone for a fee of, say, 12 million and paying them 50k a week, but clearly there's no potential resale upside. 

Everything I can see on my admittedly quick Google search is that he was on £100k-110k and that we were paying 50% of that

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-southampton-agree-to-sign-theo-walcott-but-wont-pay-all-his-wages/

https://salarysport.com/football/player/theo-walcott/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/every-everton-players-2019-20-21242022

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Some papers saying Eddie Howe has turnt down Celtic as will be offered saints job next season if Ralph fails to get off to a good start! Nonsense or an element of truth to it? 

Sounds plausible. I think he's a decent manager, although his transfer dealings have been shite

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Sounds plausible. I think he's a decent manager, although his transfer dealings have been shite

Where they his transfers or somone else's advice? A lot of our transfers remain to be seen wether they will turn out good KWP aside 

Just now, Mr X said:

Where they his transfers or somone else's advice? A lot of our transfers remain to be seen wether they will turn out good KWP aside 

True, it may have been poor scouting. The fees wouldn't have been down to him for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Salisu and Adams have been good imo, Diallo still to be proven. 

Also Ralph is twice the manager of Howe. Spent more than us every year and got relegated, no thanks! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Some papers saying Eddie Howe has turnt down Celtic as will be offered saints job next season if Ralph fails to get off to a good start! Nonsense or an element of truth to it? 

That’s stupid for Howe’s.

Sit patient for 6 months in the hope a job comes up for a struggling team that he’s going to miss having a chance of a pre season with them.

Not a chance as he will snap up the first decent local job that comes his way.

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Didn't he leave Burnley due to family issues? He seems to be tied to the south.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl